ADVERTISEMENT

Trustee Election Started Today

Menge would get my vote based on the Bios. Of course there is much more we need to know about them.

Well...one guy's marginally informed opinion.

College costs rise at a rate...wholly untied to inflation or any other barometer that is applicable.

Purdue...well...they seem to fight the tide here...they're providing an education that includes native born Hoosiers (read lowering costs)....with substantial value (read strong degrees and growing in overall appreciation)..whilst we, IU seem to be more expensive...more exclusive (not focused as a state institution on our resident population)...and missing the bigger picture...

I could be wrong. There's a lot of data I'm sure I'm missing (all of my kids got full-ride schollies to IU...but they were great students. (I've watched some of their friends have to deal with the new IU admissions reality where a home-grown Hoosier with a 3.5 gpa gets told "no" and isn't admitted..)

College costs rise at a rate...wholly untied to inflation or any other barometer that is applicable.

Purdue...well...they seem to fight the tide here...they're providing an education that includes native born Hoosiers (read lowering costs)....with substantial value (read strong degrees and growing in overall appreciation)..whilst we, IU seem to be more expensive...more exclusive (not focused as a state institution on our resident population)...and missing the bigger picture...

I could be wrong. There's a lot of data I'm sure I'm missing (all of my kids got full-ride schollies to IU...but they were great students. (I've watched some of their friends have to deal with the new IU admissions reality where a home-grown Hoosier with a 3.5 gpa gets told "no" and isn't admitted..)
IU pays an army of people handsome salaries to do, basically, nothing. I'd start there to try to find some cost savings.

I have an in-law that is one of them. I'm always baffled when she discusses a "project" and how long they have to complete it. And she's up over 100k.

Last edited:

Your perception is a bit off. According to each institution's current enrollment websites, in the 2020 class, 45% of Purdue (main campus) students were Indiana residents, while 59% of IU Bloomington students were Indiana residents. Also, when you take each institution's system into account, IU enrolls and graduates far more Indiana residents than any other institution or system in the state, and it's not even close.

Looking at cost, Purdue's in-state pre-aid tuition and fees are $9,992, while IU's are 11,220, a difference of $1,228. While it's a difference, that's not a terribly significant dollar amount. Again, that's all pre-aid. Taking aid into account, Purdue's average in-state cost is $12,527 while IU's is $13,428, a $901 difference (from US News data). IU and Purdue both rank near the bottom of the Big 10 in terms of average net cost to student.

As for admissions, both schools basically admit the same student profile, although Purdue's admitted student profile is just a tick higher (think roughly 1 ACT point).

I think your perception of the institutions is common across the state. IU gets the "elitist" designation even though it serves more Hoosiers, produces more native graduates, does it at a cost that is only marginally higher, and admits basically the same student academic profile as Purdue. I think that's more of a product of each institution's culture and academic strengths (and how they are valued in the state and politically) in addition to the political perceptions of its leaders. It's certainly not an accurate product of any data point or metric.

Last edited:
Making my first ever trip to Mobile for a couple of days in two weeks...any suggestions?
Chriselli: Happy to help. Give me some context. Business or pleasure? Mobile county or eastern shore i.e. gulf shores, etc. I've got some great restaurants. Battleship and Sub at battleship park is very cool if you like that stuff. We have 36 holes of Robert Trent Jones golf plus one of the highest rated par 3's on the planet. Get ready for some 225 yardage with very tight fairways on the par 3. (LPGA plays at Robert Trent Jones) I'd stay at the battle house renaissance if I could. Former HQ for the confederacy for a minute. Two renaissance hotels down town actually. That's where i put family and friends. Killer Spa at the battle house. Ruby Slipper for bloody Mary's on Sunday brunch downtown. Out of New Orleans. Excellent and fun. It's hot here now and will be until Nov. Plenty to do. Let me know and I can get more specific.

A factor that I would like to see involved in this discussion is the percentage of the university's operating budget that is provided by the state legislature versus the percentage of the operating budget provided by tuition. When I was a freshman back in the glacial period, 1957, tuition was $7 per credit hour and at that time the legislature was funding about 87% of the university's operating budget. What percent of the operating budget of the University is supported by state tax revenues through the state legislature today, I wonder? It's probably in the range of 10%.

Your perception is a bit off. According to each institution's current enrollment websites, in the 2020 class, 45% of Purdue (main campus) students were Indiana residents, while 59% of IU Bloomington students were Indiana residents. Also, when you take each institution's system into account, IU enrolls and graduates far more Indiana residents than any other institution or system in the state, and it's not even close.

Looking at cost, Purdue's in-state pre-aid tuition and fees are $9,992, while IU's are 11,220, a difference of $1,228. While it's a difference, that's not a terribly significant dollar amount. Again, that's all pre-aid. Taking aid into account, Purdue's average in-state cost is $12,527 while IU's is $13,428, a $901 difference (from US News data). IU and Purdue both rank near the bottom of the Big 10 in terms of average net cost to student.

As for admissions, both schools basically admit the same student profile, although Purdue's admitted student profile is just a tick higher (think roughly 1 ACT point).

I think your perception of the institutions is common across the state. IU gets the "elitist" designation even though it serves more Hoosiers, produces more native graduates, does it at a cost that is only marginally higher, and admits basically the same student academic profile as Purdue. I think that's more of a product of each institution's culture and academic strengths (and how they are valued in the state and politically) in addition to the political perceptions of its leaders. It's certainly not an accurate product of any data point or metric.
My friend. Thank you. I prefaced my remark as "marginally informed"...in the words of Blanche DuBois..."I've always relied on the kindness of strangers."

Best.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT