ADVERTISEMENT

Trump's tax battle roars on...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
So verbal arguments today before the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. Nothing earthshattering, but they do seem to be giving Trump's specious argument the "respect" it deserves...

"William Consovoy, the president's attorney, argued during a hearing before the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that the grand jury subpoena seeking Trump's tax returns was "an overbroad fishing expedition and issued in bad faith" to harass the president.

Judge Pierre Leval said allegations that the subpoena was issued in bad faith were "highly contrived." Judge Robert Katzmann said grand juries have broad authority and wondered whether the president's attorney is asking them to change the way grand juries have always operated. And Judge Raymond Lohier pressed Consovoy on whether there's a version of the subpoena he would not view as too broad."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-attorney-fights-block-disclosure-165812833.html

As I initially read this and got to the part where Lohier pressed Consovoy, I actually expected it would say that he asked if there was a version of the subpoena that Consovoy saw that was different than the version submitted to the Justices. It seems like they've literally admonished Team trump for wasting their time with such a frivilous appeal. I mean Leval characterized Trump's allegations as "highly contrived". Don't see how they could be any more dismissive of this tomfoolery...

It seems like they've literally admonished Team trump for wasting their time with such a frivilous appeal. I mean Leval characterized Trump's allegations as "highly contrived". Don't see how they could be any more dismissive of this tomfoolery...
It doesn't matter if it's frivolous, contrived tomfoolery. Making an actual valid legal case is beside the point. The actual point is to delay, delay, delay until after the election, and perhaps for another four years. As long as the courts are willing to hear appeals through their usual plodding process, Trump will in effect be able to enjoy the "absolute immunity" they have already said he doesn't possess.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I haven't been paying enough attention to this to be able to argue specifics....but on my Hacks on Tap podcast republican Mark Murphy and guest Raim Emmanuel were inferring that this case could actually really hurt Trump.

We'll see but I gleaned that the way the case is moving is looking like they think they've got something legit.

I haven't been paying enough attention to this to be able to argue specifics....but on my Hacks on Tap podcast republican Mark Murphy and guest Raim Emmanuel were inferring that this case could actually really hurt Trump.

We'll see but I gleaned that the way the case is moving is looking like they think they've got something legit.
Something that’s legit is that you don’t pay squat in taxes!

So verbal arguments today before the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. Nothing earthshattering, but they do seem to be giving Trump's specious argument the "respect" it deserves...

"William Consovoy, the president's attorney, argued during a hearing before the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that the grand jury subpoena seeking Trump's tax returns was "an overbroad fishing expedition and issued in bad faith" to harass the president.

Judge Pierre Leval said allegations that the subpoena was issued in bad faith were "highly contrived." Judge Robert Katzmann said grand juries have broad authority and wondered whether the president's attorney is asking them to change the way grand juries have always operated. And Judge Raymond Lohier pressed Consovoy on whether there's a version of the subpoena he would not view as too broad."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-attorney-fights-block-disclosure-165812833.html

As I initially read this and got to the part where Lohier pressed Consovoy, I actually expected it would say that he asked if there was a version of the subpoena that Consovoy saw that was different than the version submitted to the Justices. It seems like they've literally admonished Team trump for wasting their time with such a frivilous appeal. I mean Leval characterized Trump's allegations as "highly contrived". Don't see how they could be any more dismissive of this tomfoolery...

It makes you think there’s something in there Trump really doesn’t want anyone to see. Something he doesn’t even want his uneducated rube base to see.And those people who could watch Trump shoot someone on 5th Ave and keep supporting him? Yeah, he doesn’t even want those people to see whatever is in his taxes.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
It makes you think there’s something in there Trump really doesn’t want anyone to see. Something he doesn’t even want his uneducated rube base to see.And those people who could watch Trump shoot someone on 5th Ave and keep supporting him? Yeah, he doesn’t even want those people to see whatever is in his taxes.
Prolly that he's no more wealthy than @INRanger27 or @Aloha Hoosier.

Something that’s legit is that you don’t pay squat in taxes!
"I agree!"
Signed,
Alfonse G. Capone
Cell No. 181
San Francisco, CA

Oct2016X20SFC1931Oct18CaponeConvicted1Best.jpg

It doesn't matter if it's frivolous, contrived tomfoolery. Making an actual valid legal case is beside the point. The actual point is to delay, delay, delay until after the election, and perhaps for another four years. As long as the courts are willing to hear appeals through their usual plodding process, Trump will in effect be able to enjoy the "absolute immunity" they have already said he doesn't possess.
Exactly

Funny dat....

“... tax records show paid $188,561 in taxes in China while pursuing licensing deals there from 2013 to 2015.”
😂 😂 $750!

Reactions: largemouth
ADVERTISEMENT