ADVERTISEMENT

Trump setting up chaos at NC polls

I don't understand the weeks of delay proposed for counting mailed ballots, unless the state happens to have a stupid system. In Florida they are the same ballot, read by the same optical scanners, with the same bar codes, as voting in person.

The only delay is checking authenication--- Is it signed, does the signature match, is the bar code that of a legal registered voter who has not already voted-- I would assume that all of that except for possibly the signature matching is automated.

Some delay will come from ballots postmarked on the day of the election or 1-2 days before, but I would expect that to be a low percentage, given all of the emphasis to vote early.

Reactions: Circlejoe
I don't understand the weeks of delay proposed for counting mailed ballots, unless the state happens to have a stupid system. In Florida they are the same ballot, read by the same optical scanners, with the same bar codes, as voting in person.

The only delay is checking authenication--- Is it signed, does the signature match, is the bar code that of a legal registered voter who has not already voted-- I would assume that all of that except for possibly the signature matching is automated.

Some delay will come from ballots postmarked on the day of the election or 1-2 days before, but I would expect that to be a low percentage, given all of the emphasis to vote early.

I guess it depends on the state, but in Arizona, the signatures are authenticated when received and counted starting on election day. The only delay would be for those ballots mailed just prior to election day and that would be a very small percentage of the overall vote.

It won't be long before most states have a majority of mail-in ballots. I received a text last Thursday from Maricopa County Elections letting me know my ballot will be mailed on October 7. I'll receive another text when the ballot is mailed, a third text when it's received once I mail it back, and a final text letting me know the signature was authenticated. Simple.

Reactions: outside shooter
(no Trumpflake or conservative will seriously address this issue. Much like the USPS shenanigans.)

Speaking of USPS, I was talking to a friend just north of Bloomington last night about 8pm. Her mail had just arrived. Good luck with all those mail in ballots.

Speaking of USPS, I was talking to a friend just north of Bloomington last night about 8pm. Her mail had just arrived. Good luck with all those mail in ballots.
You can thank Louie LeJoy! Think how well this is going to go with estimated tax payments, etc.

You make it seem only Democrats vote by mail. Yesterday I received an unsolicited absentee ballot application from the GOP state party.

Why have we reached the point of mass mail-in ballot voting? Think about that for a minute.

You make it seem only Democrats vote by mail. Yesterday I received an unsolicited absentee ballot application from the GOP state party.

I am sure both sides are receiving unsolicited absentee ballot applications. My mother received one this week.

Are people receiving the actual ballot or the application to request a ballot? We filled the request a few weeks ago, someone at the board of elections verified that they had received the applications and said they would be mailed the first week of October. It will be interesting to see if they arrive in a timely fashion.

Reactions: Bill4411
A lawyer who has long represented the GOP in election cases wrote an op-ed yesterday in WaPo. He says there is no systemic voter fraud. Hmm. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...nt-evidence-call-elections-rigged-fraudulent/

Here is part of what Ginsberg wrote:

The Heritage Foundation Election Fraud Database has compiled every instance of any kind of voter fraud it could find since 1982. It contains 1,296 incidents, a minuscule percentage of the votes cast. A study of results in three states where all voters are mailed actual ballots, a practice at the apex of the president’s outrage, found just 372 possible cases of illegal voting of 14.6 million cast in the 2016 and 2018 general elections — 0.0025 percent.

Reactions: Cortez88
Because that is how pass throughs are structured - to tax the money at the individual rates. If a business doesn’t want to do that, it can elect C corp status.
Well, yeah, but under a C corp tax, doesn't the same money still get taxed twice (once to the corp as corp earnings and once again as distribution income to individual shareholders) ?

Well, yeah, but under a C corp tax, doesn't the same money still get taxed twice (once to the corp as corp earnings and once again as distribution income to individual shareholders) ?

Yes and at different rates. That’s the point of pass throughs. They are not C corps but rather smaller companies that pass revenues through to the owners. So tax the ownersat individual tax rates and skip the corp tax level.

Yes and at different rates. That’s the point of pass throughs. They are not C corps but rather smaller companies that pass revenues through to the owners. So tax the ownersat individual tax rates and skip the corp tax level.
And jack up the individual rates . . .

. . . unless stollpa gets his wish and individual shareholder's rates are reset at equal to the corporate rates. :rolleyes:

And jack up the individual rates . . .

. . . unless stollpa gets his wish and individual shareholder's rates are reset at equal to the corporate rates. :rolleyes:

After 2018, the first 20% of pass through was tax free. Pretty good deal if you make $500k and the first $100 is tax free.

Reactions: Bill4411
Reactions: T.M.P.
A lawyer who has long represented the GOP in election cases wrote an op-ed yesterday in WaPo. He says there is no systemic voter fraud. Hmm. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...nt-evidence-call-elections-rigged-fraudulent/

Here is part of what Ginsberg wrote:

The Heritage Foundation Election Fraud Database has compiled every instance of any kind of voter fraud it could find since 1982. It contains 1,296 incidents, a minuscule percentage of the votes cast. A study of results in three states where all voters are mailed actual ballots, a practice at the apex of the president’s outrage, found just 372 possible cases of illegal voting of 14.6 million cast in the 2016 and 2018 general elections — 0.0025 percent.
Thankfully, the age group that commits most home burglaries also has no idea how to fill out a paper ballot or any other paper form and then stress-out figuring how to put a stamp on it and deposit it in the mail. Your mail-in ballots are not at risk from these idiots.

I don't even worry about losing my computerized financial information to burglars anymore -- I store everything that is not a video or photo on three-inch disks. Those dumbasses don't even know what that is.

Also, thankfully, it costs time, effort and money to mail in fake ballots while not making any money doing it. Making money is the only motivation for the typical criminal to do that. So, criminals are no threat to your misdirected mail-in ballots.

If the goal is to influence an election instead of making money, it's terribly inefficient for even the Russian professionals to try to influence an election that way. It's much cheaper for the Russians to create fake content on Reddit, Facebook and FoxNews (or to maintain their employment of trolls on this site).

In fact, I can think of only one person who thinks mail-in ballots present a threat of any kind.

After 2018, the first 20% of pass through was tax free. Pretty good deal if you make $500k and the first $100 is tax free.

Maybe Stoll or someone else in the accounting world can answer this question for me. In my example, is dollar $100,001 taxed as the first $1 or at the $100,001 rate? I can’t find anything explaining this.

ADVERTISEMENT