ADVERTISEMENT

Trump set for China tariff announcement on Thursday, trade war fears grow

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-thursday-trade-war-fears-grow-idUSKBN1GX20V

President Donald Trump will announce tariffs on Chinese imports on Thursday, a White House official said, in a move aimed at curbing theft of U.S. technology and likely to trigger retaliation from Beijing and stoke fears of a global trade war.

Trump is a 'check-list' president with no understanding on the inter-connectivity of global economies. As a smart person once said, (the presidency) 'is not like building a golf course.'
Russia hacks into the 2016 elections, not much happens. :rolleyes:

Why Trump's tariffs on China are a big deal
http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/21/news/economy/trump-trade-china-intellectual-property-301/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-thursday-trade-war-fears-grow-idUSKBN1GX20V

Trump is a 'check-list' president with no understanding on the inter-connectivity of global economies. As a smart person once said, (the presidency) 'is not like building a golf course.'
Russia hacks into the 2016 elections, not much happens. :rolleyes:

Why Trump's tariffs on China are a big deal
http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/21/news/economy/trump-trade-china-intellectual-property-301/index.html
The basic solution to globalization is what we see in our tech sector: continual innovation. What non-lemming Trumpsters want is well-paid jobs. That requires an innovative approach to the economy as a whole. Trump's solution is to go back to the glorious fifties of his childhood.

The basic solution to globalization is what we see in our tech sector: continual innovation. What non-lemming Trumpsters want is well-paid jobs. That requires an innovative approach to the economy as a whole. Trump's solution is to go back to the glorious fifties of his childhood.

I agree -- the ability to utilise platforms (ie the Internet, low container shipping costs etc) to enhance/expedite globalisation is what we are all doing. Evolution.

The problem is that the Trumpsters dont understand this but instead just see themselves as victims of it -- even though they would gladly use the technologies/consumer benefits available to them. They dont see a 360 view but instead see that they have been left out of any boom.

Cunning Trump gets this. Thus, Trump's constant victim pitch, reinforcing the victimisation card. What they don't realise is that he isnt doing them any good. In fact, there is a sense of entitlement to their approach which I find annoying.
For most of us, if we dont perform, we are sacked. Or if I am a mainframe software developer, I need to learn something. Dems da breaks.

Blaming everyone else but themselves by wanting to burn the house down. That pisses me off -- but not to that level of GOAT/Dr Hoops hatred though. ;)

Last edited:
8F137C83-BBE5-4E02-9B41-1B3638D72A6C.jpg

Reactions: RBB89 and Zizkov
There is one serious concern Trump should have. What if China announces shortly after that they are going to cut their purchase of US debt by 25% (or any other significant figure). It is highly unlikely they would take such an action as it hurts them as well, but if they feel backed into a corner they might at least float the trial balloon.

There is one serious concern Trump should have. What if China announces shortly after that they are going to cut their purchase of US debt by 25% (or any other significant figure). It is highly unlikely they would take such an action as it hurts them as well, but if they feel backed into a corner they might at least float the trial balloon.

One thing that you need to understand about the China is that they are an aspirational country. They would actually like to have all the riches of America -- but along comes the inferiority complex.
So if Trump decides to put tariffs on China, their political/cultural insecurities will force them to react regardless of the cost.

The Opium Wars, the weakness of the Qing Dynasty (in early 19th century) left the country colonised and the WW2 with Japan occupying the country has left them feeling inferior, embarrassed and determined at whatever cost that t will never happen again.
The US's reading of China should always been seen from that prism. Thats why I dont agree with the gov't assessment that China is that big a military threat.
A pest, yes but not a military threat, like a North Korea or even Russia.

But as I mentioned, they can and always will find a way to do business under most circumstances. Not that ideological.

One thing that you need to understand about the China is that they are an aspirational country. They would actually like to have all the riches of America -- but along comes the inferiority complex.
So if Trump decides to put tariffs on China, their political/cultural insecurities will force them to react regardless of the cost.

The Opium Wars, the weakness of the Qing Dynasty (in early 19th century) left the country colonised and the WW2 with Japan occupying the country has left them feeling inferior, embarrassed and determined at whatever cost that t will never happen again.
The US's reading of China should always been seen from that prism. Thats why I dont agree with the gov't assessment that China is that big a military threat.
A pest, yes but not a military threat, like a North Korea or even Russia.

But as I mentioned, they can and always will find a way to do business under most circumstances. Not that ideological.
My portfolio is in the dumper today thanks to this. Especially my Baidu and China Holdings equities.

My portfolio is in the dumper today thanks to this. Especially my Baidu and China Holdings equities.

Dont look at the portfolio for a while! China is still a retail driven market -- more volitile than most. Unless you have the time to manage personally, hold/buy the blue chippers -- they will have gov't connections. The complexity with the China market now is the decentralisation of Beijing. There is a lot of activities/power down to the provinces nowadays. Maybe worth a punt there if you want to diversify.

Otherwise, I bought China shares in the late 90s/early 2000s. Sold it. Moved to India... worse then A-P wide. Finally, I cashed out. Holding a few Asian stocks and some Cisco stocks that were given to me like 15 years ago.

So, I am basically shit out ideas/spare cash!

Last edited:
China Hits Back at Trump Tariffs as Trade War Finally Arrives
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...llion-hit-on-china-goods-amid-trade-war-fears

• China says it plans 25 percent tariff on U.S. pork imports
  • Dow drops more than 700 points, biggest plunge in six weeks
China plans tariffs on imports of U.S. pork imports, recycled aluminum, steel pipes, fruit and wine, according to a Commerce Ministry statement on Friday. China will also pursue legal action against the U.S. at the World Trade Organization in response to the U.S. planned tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, the statement said, and called for dialog to resolve the dispute.

California, FL, Iowa and PA affected?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT