ADVERTISEMENT

Trump orders meatpacking plants to stay open

LOL..... while your posts aren't typically seen as a springboard to serious discussion.... this one actually hits to a very serious hurdle I've been discussing for the last week or so with some colleagues. And now starting to get some national focus.

IANAL.... but I do see the need for some clarity here as a major sticking point to opening up the overall economy. Business owners/ execs are going to be leery of bringing back employees without some federal guidelines and guard rails on the liability issue.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/495288-liability-shield-businesses-new-fight-reopening
Just like my General Flynn post, progressives like to ignore what they don’t like to hear! The Flynn papers that have been released in the last couple of days prove how corrupt the FBI is!

LOL..... while your posts aren't typically seen as a springboard to serious discussion.... this one actually hits to a very serious hurdle I've been discussing for the last week or so with some colleagues. And now starting to get some national focus.

IANAL.... but I do see the need for some clarity here as a major sticking point to opening up the overall economy. Business owners/ execs are going to be leery of bringing back employees without some federal guidelines and guard rails on the liability issue.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/495288-liability-shield-businesses-new-fight-reopening

This is going to be a tricky question. If a business refuses to use safeguards, should they be exempt from liability? An example is the poultry video someone linked, those people are not close to 6 feet apart. Yes, it may be that Tyson has to slow production speed because they can't cram people along the conveyor belt, but that seems like a reasonable accommodation to me. If they aren't willing to do that, they should be liable imho. If a business opens and provides masks and sanitizer and creates 6 foot barriers, 1) juries should use that to find they met due diligence and 2) if not then the government should step in.

At the same point, if someone is so essential the business has to have them their the business should insure them. Telling some $10/hour employee they have to work and "that's too bad" if they get a case that requires care should not be allowed.

This is going to be a tricky question. If a business refuses to use safeguards, should they be exempt from liability? An example is the poultry video someone linked, those people are not close to 6 feet apart. Yes, it may be that Tyson has to slow production speed because they can't cram people along the conveyor belt, but that seems like a reasonable accommodation to me. If they aren't willing to do that, they should be liable imho. If a business opens and provides masks and sanitizer and creates 6 foot barriers, 1) juries should use that to find they met due diligence and 2) if not then the government should step in.

At the same point, if someone is so essential the business has to have them their the business should insure them. Telling some $10/hour employee they have to work and "that's too bad" if they get a case that requires care should not be allowed.
You better hope the food chain is not broken because people like you won’t survive, when people don’t have any food they will break in your house and take what you have and kill you and your family!

I could see it easily as a substitute for most ground beef/ chicken e.t.c.... but yes, a long way off still for individual meat cuts.

I have no idea what % of beef/ chicken / pork e.t.c.... is consumed in the ground up variety vs whole piece.

I can look that up.

This notion that US meat production is equivalent to un or under regulated Chinese Wet Markets for openers. Some of us believe in science, some believe entertainers. US agribusiness is the best on the planet.

Hope that helps tough guy
"Best on the planet" in that regard is sorta like winning a tallest midget contest.

That said, yes the video I linked was of Bill Maher, but the fact that he's a celebrity doesn't automatically negate anything he said. There are a plenty of physicians and researchers who have peer reviewed studies - not funded by the meat and dairy industry - that sound the alarm on western slaughterhouses. Yes, they're probably more regulated than Chinese wet markets, but again, that's not saying much.

And the ag schools in the US are very much in the pocket of the US meat industry. I'd say their science is spotty, slanted at best.

I don't equate US meat production with China, whatsoever.... but I also think that a century from now (maybe far less) there won't be mass scale animal farming in this country. And people will look back at our food production today with the same level of disgust as we do with Chinese wet markets.

This is an interesting and thought provoking read..... most of the largest meat producers in the country (Tyson, etc....) have started either producing or investing in plant based 'meat' products.... so not exactly farfetched. I've had several of the meat based burgers (Impossible, Beyond Meat).... and they are good. Will take a long while before you've got a plant based steak.... but wouldn't put it beyond science.

This is fairly spot on. If the federal government didn't so heavily subsidize the factory farming industry, it's fall off would be even more sped up.

"Best on the planet" in that regard is sorta like winning a tallest midget contest.

That said, yes the video I linked was of Bill Maher, but the fact that he's a celebrity doesn't automatically negate anything he said. There are a plenty of physicians and researchers who have peer reviewed studies - not funded by the meat and dairy industry - that sound the alarm on western slaughterhouses. Yes, they're probably more regulated than Chinese wet markets, but again, that's not saying much.

And the ag schools in the US are very much in the pocket of the US meat industry. I'd say their science is spotty, slanted at best.

What do the Kardashians have to say about this...let us know. TIA.

What do the Kardashians have to say about this...let us know. TIA.
I'm not sure what they'd have to say, but anything they might contribute that would register just about stupid and vacant would be worlds above anything you've contributed to the conversation on this thread.

I'm not sure what they'd have to say, but anything they might contribute that would register just about stupid and vacant would be worlds above anything you've contributed to the conversation on this thread.

welcome to ignore Ace.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I could see it easily as a substitute for most ground beef/ chicken e.t.c.... but yes, a long way off still for individual meat cuts.

I have no idea what % of beef/ chicken / pork e.t.c.... is consumed in the ground up variety vs whole piece.

Just a quick check but US production of beef is 28 Billion lbs 60% is ground. Pork is 27 Billion lbs but can't find the % ground. It is much smaller obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT