ADVERTISEMENT

Trump orders meatpacking plants to stay open

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
apparently personal protective equipment is discretionary. But the big guy can’t do without his hamburger patties.

apparently personal protective equipment is discretionary. But the big guy can’t do without his hamburger patties.

It is up to Tyson and the Unions to figure out and agree on the safety aspects and get back to work. This is not a bad thing.

It is up to Tyson and the Unions to figure out and agree on the safety aspects and get back to work. This is not a bad thing.

Upton Sinclair wrote about this 115 years ago in his historical novel The Jungle, which is a fascinating and depressing read. To fix the urgent problem theses plants are going to have to retool and costs will soar. There is a reason someone can raise a chicken, slaughter it, process is ship it hundreds of miles, have someone cook it and hand it to you for a total price of $7.

This isn’t going to fixed by Trump snapping his fingers. The idea that he can order people back into an infected workplace isn’t going to sit well with many politicians. Even if they really don’t care if these people live or die they are going to see that the optics could cost them votes in the next election. And for many that is all they care about.

Last edited:
Time for Larry "Super Tuber" Craig to come out of retirement and for Trump to name him the "Meat Packing Czar."

It’s also worth noting that many immigrants, legal and otherwise, hold these jobs.

Do you all live on a farm? If you don't, then keeping the food supply chain running is extremely important to you. You think the run on toilet paper was bad, wait until people believe that the meat in the store is going to be among the last available for awhile.

GDP dived over 4% in Q1 and the beginning of this was the tail end of the quarter. We could be looking at -20% type of figures for Q2. People are losing jobs already, throw the food supply into question and you are looking at civil unrest.

But Trump man bad or something.

Reactions: 76-1
Do you all live on a farm? If you don't, then keeping the food supply chain running is extremely important to you. You think the run on toilet paper was bad, wait until people believe that the meat in the store is going to be among the last available for awhile.

GDP dived over 4% in Q1 and the beginning of this was the tail end of the quarter. We could be looking at -20% type of figures for Q2. People are losing jobs already, throw the food supply into question and you are looking at civil unrest.

But Trump man bad or something.

So your answer to this is that it is ok to have the Federal government order meat packers stay open even when disease is running rampant in their facilities.

Seems like an interesting proposition from a self proclaimed conservative.

Reactions: baileyiu
So your answer to this is that it is ok to have the Federal government order meat packers stay open even when disease is running rampant in their facilities.

Seems like an interesting proposition from a self proclaimed conservative.

Are meat packing plants just getting the press, or is the problem worse than in places making breakfast cereal, caning veggies, juicing fruits, etc?

Are meat packing plants just getting the press, or is the problem worse than in places making breakfast cereal, caning veggies, juicing fruits, etc?
pictures are worth 1000 words. Nothing gruesome here but you see how people work right on top of each other. You can’t just walk off the assembly line to use the bathroom.

These are the people that are taking Americans jobs from them!

Reactions: Ohio Guy
what i don't ever here about regarding the meat plants, is why are they so hard hit.

if it's just proximity, should we not assume anything and everything with similar extended time mandated proximity has similar infection rates.

if that's not the case, then why.

My guess is that there are conditions that exist in meat packing plants that more readily contribute to humans getting sick than those other places.

what i don't ever here about regarding the meat plants, is why are they so hard hit.

if it's just proximity, should we not assume anything and everything with similar extended time mandated proximity has similar infection rates.

if that's not the case, then why.
Regardless of what the answer to your question is - the bigger question that will come of this is why is everyone OK with getting food from a place that is so susceptible to infectious diseases?

Regardless of what the answer to your question is - the bigger question that will come of this is why is everyone OK with getting food from a place that is so susceptible to infectious diseases?

not an expert, but,

A) i don't think the virus is supposed to live long on it.

B), cooking it should kill anything already on it, whether from the plant or acquired afterwards.

not an expert, but,

A) i don't think the virus is supposed to live long on it.

B), cooking it should kill anything already on it, whether from the plant or acquired afterwards.
while the current epidemic is affecting workers in slaughterhouses, I think there are more concerns about meat packed in those places than COVID-19 presents.

This op-ed does a good job of detailing why what really happens in slaughterhouses has to be looked at more closely.

A recent sworn statement from a USDA inspector working inside a high-speed slaughterhouse makes clear how dire the impacts of this deregulation are for everyone involved. The inspector reports that she has observed animals being struck to force them to keep pace with fast line speeds, animals that appear to have entered scalding tanks while still conscious, increased fecal contamination of meat, and diseased animals and defects like abscesses and toenails being routinely allowed into the human food supply. The inspector says she would not eat meat from the slaughterhouse she inspects, or any other slaughterhouse operating with increased line speeds and reduced oversight. This should tell us something.​

Upton Sinclair wrote about this 115 years ago in his historical novel The Jungle, which is a fascinating and depressing read. To fix the urgent problem theses plants are going to have to retool and costs will soar. There is a reason someone can raise a chicken, slaughter it, process is ship it hundreds of miles, have someone cook it and hand it to you for a total price of $7.

This isn’t going to fixed by Trump snapping his fingers. The idea that he can order people back into an infected workplace isn’t going to sit well with many politicians. Even if they really don’t care if these people live or die they are going to see that the optics could cost them votes in the next election. And for many that is all they care about.

Retooling is real and should be mid-range. Once Tyson and the Unions are in general agreement about the short range fixes and workers are as safe as other workplaces...they go back in. No one is going to be ordered to go back into an "infected workplace". This is the politics creeping in.

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
I know Bill Maher can be fairly polarizing - and God knows his topic here will likely hit a nerve - but this is fairly spot on. EDIT: there is some NSFW language in this video.

Billy would learn a lot spending a few days on campus of some of our great ag universities and touring processing plants. He won't, because he makes his living spewing BS that his fans gobble down. Self righteous grandstanding dweeb.

Reactions: Sassy61 and Lucy01
Retooling is real and should be mid-range. Once Tyson and the Unions are in general agreement about the short range fixes and workers are as safe as other workplaces...they go back in. No one is going to be ordered to go back into an "infected workplace". This is the politics creeping in.
When the have nots break in your house to steal your food and kill you for it, yeah that’s politics creeping in:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Billy would learn a lot spending a few days on campus of some of our great ag universities and touring processing plants. He won't, because he makes his living spewing BS that his fans gobble down. Self righteous grandstanding dweeb.
I'm sorry, but put up or shut up. What in that video was inaccurate?

I'm sorry, but put up or shut up. What in that video was inaccurate?

This notion that US meat production is equivalent to un or under regulated Chinese Wet Markets for openers. Some of us believe in science, some believe entertainers. US agribusiness is the best on the planet.

Hope that helps tough guy

This notion that US meat production is equivalent to un or under regulated Chinese Wet Markets for openers. Some of us believe in science, some believe entertainers. US agribusiness is the best on the planet.

Hope that helps tough guy

I don't equate US meat production with China, whatsoever.... but I also think that a century from now (maybe far less) there won't be mass scale animal farming in this country. And people will look back at our food production today with the same level of disgust as we do with Chinese wet markets.

This is an interesting and thought provoking read..... most of the largest meat producers in the country (Tyson, etc....) have started either producing or investing in plant based 'meat' products.... so not exactly farfetched. I've had several of the meat based burgers (Impossible, Beyond Meat).... and they are good. Will take a long while before you've got a plant based steak.... but wouldn't put it beyond science.

Amazon product ASIN 0807019453

Last edited:
I don't equate US meat production with China, whatsoever.... but I also think that a century from now (maybe far less) there won't be mass scale animal farming in this country. And people will look back at our food production today with the same level of disgust as we do with Chinese wet markets.

This is an interesting and thought provoking read..... most of the largest meat producers in the country (Tyson, etc....) have started either producing or investing in plant based 'meat' products.... so not exactly farfetched. I've had several of the meat based burgers (Impossible, Beyond Meat).... and they are good. Will take a long while before you've got a plant based steak.... but wouldn't put it beyond science.

I used to think you were the smart one of this bunch!

For sure - it’s climate impact, global warming etc will give rise to change

Plant-based products have come a long way from the original Morning Star Bean Burgers. Places Like Burger Fi who make a legit effort have good products. Moving beyond burger and sausage is a ways off, I tried the higher end turkey roll at Tgiving and it was heinous.

Fun fact: We are processing approx 10 BBBillion chickens a year right now.

Trump also offered protection from employees filing lawsuits by blood sucking ambulance chasing attorneys!

Trump also offered protection from employees filing lawsuits by blood sucking ambulance chasing attorneys!

LOL..... while your posts aren't typically seen as a springboard to serious discussion.... this one actually hits to a very serious hurdle I've been discussing for the last week or so with some colleagues. And now starting to get some national focus.

IANAL.... but I do see the need for some clarity here as a major sticking point to opening up the overall economy. Business owners/ execs are going to be leery of bringing back employees without some federal guidelines and guard rails on the liability issue.

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/495288-liability-shield-businesses-new-fight-reopening

Plant-based products have come a long way from the original Morning Star Bean Burgers. Places Like Burger Fi who make a legit effort have good products. Moving beyond burger and sausage is a ways off, I tried the higher end turkey roll at Tgiving and it was heinous.

Fun fact: We are processing approx 10 BBBillion chickens a year right now.

I could see it easily as a substitute for most ground beef/ chicken e.t.c.... but yes, a long way off still for individual meat cuts.

I have no idea what % of beef/ chicken / pork e.t.c.... is consumed in the ground up variety vs whole piece.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT