ADVERTISEMENT

Trump goes all Andy Jackson on DACA

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
I read this when it first came out last week. Doesn't seem to have gotten much play. Maybe people don't think it's a big deal with all the other Trump bullshit going on, but for me it's huge. Worthwhile read.

Trump Is Now Openly Defying the Supreme Court

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/daca-donald-trump-supreme-court.html?via=taps_bottom

To implement that decision, U.S. District Judge Paul Grimm compelled the administration to restore DACA to its pre-repeal condition on July 17. Grimm’s order required the Department of Homeland Security to let DACA beneficiaries renew their status for two years, accept new applicants, and restore “advance parole,” which permits travel outside the country. But DHS did not do that. Instead, the agency maintained that it would reject new DACA applicants. It also declined to accept DACA renewals or reinstate advance parole.
[...]
Incredibly, the agency has decided to disobey this order, as well. On Tuesday, acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf declared that it would not accept new applications and would only grant one-year extensions to current beneficiaries “on a case by case basis.” This tactic will make it easier for Trump to deport DACA beneficiaries if he wins reelection, since their status will expire sooner. The agency will also deny advance parole “absent exceptional circumstances.” This new policy is nothing less than brazen defiance of a federal court ruling. Grimm, and the Supreme Court itself, ordered DACA’s full resuscitation, which requires the acceptance of new applicants and the conferral of two-year renewals. There is simply no legal basis for DHS’s zombie version of the program.​

Reactions: MrBing
I read this when it first came out last week. Doesn't seem to have gotten much play. Maybe people don't think it's a big deal with all the other Trump bullshit going on, but for me it's huge. Worthwhile read.

Trump Is Now Openly Defying the Supreme Court

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/daca-donald-trump-supreme-court.html?via=taps_bottom

To implement that decision, U.S. District Judge Paul Grimm compelled the administration to restore DACA to its pre-repeal condition on July 17. Grimm’s order required the Department of Homeland Security to let DACA beneficiaries renew their status for two years, accept new applicants, and restore “advance parole,” which permits travel outside the country. But DHS did not do that. Instead, the agency maintained that it would reject new DACA applicants. It also declined to accept DACA renewals or reinstate advance parole.
[...]
Incredibly, the agency has decided to disobey this order, as well. On Tuesday, acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf declared that it would not accept new applications and would only grant one-year extensions to current beneficiaries “on a case by case basis.” This tactic will make it easier for Trump to deport DACA beneficiaries if he wins reelection, since their status will expire sooner. The agency will also deny advance parole “absent exceptional circumstances.” This new policy is nothing less than brazen defiance of a federal court ruling. Grimm, and the Supreme Court itself, ordered DACA’s full resuscitation, which requires the acceptance of new applicants and the conferral of two-year renewals. There is simply no legal basis for DHS’s zombie version of the program.​
Are Trump's attorneys paid a flat salary or on an hourly basis? It can't be much fun being one of those attorneys.

Reactions: sglowrider
Are Trump's attorneys paid a flat salary or on an hourly basis? It can't be much fun being one of those attorneys.
DOJ front line attorneys sure do have job security in this administration.

I originally posted this in the bball forum by mistake. I caught it, deleted the contents, and changed the thread title to "delete -- wrong forum".

Someone gave me a Like. :rolleyes:

Not on topic, but didn’t want to start a new thread. I wonder if there is going to be an 11:59 unveiling of the new, beautiful, complete health care plan to replace Obama Care that Trump promises within two weeks to Chris Wallace? Have you ever noticed that whenever he is asked specifics about time frame, he always says two weeks. I guess he assumes people will forget about it because then and move on to his twenty more recent outraged.,Wonder if the press will ask him about it tomorrow?

Reactions: Digressions
This got brought up during the Barr hearing last week. His response was close to a non-answer, but when pushed said the delay was due to administrative things taking time. So, yeah...

Not on topic, but didn’t want to start a new thread. I wonder if there is going to be an 11:59 unveiling of the new, beautiful, complete health care plan to replace Obama Care that Trump promises within two weeks to Chris Wallace? Have you ever noticed that whenever he is asked specifics about time frame, he always says two weeks. I guess he assumes people will forget about it because then and move on to his twenty more recent outraged.,Wonder if the press will ask him about it tomorrow?
I say we have the Lincoln Project look into it.

So what happens when the Supreme Court issues a ruling and it's ignored by the President and/or the Justice Department? If I'm involved I'll end up in prison/fined/XXXX, but if you're at the top of the pyramid who/how enforces any given ruling?

Reactions: Bill4411
So what happens when the Supreme Court issues a ruling and it's ignored by the President and/or the Justice Department? If I'm involved I'll end up in prison/fined/XXXX, but if you're at the top of the pyramid who/how enforces any given ruling?
That is the question, isn't it? I was hoping this thread might catch one of the shysters' eyes, 'cause all I've got is my IANAL shtick. What comes to my mind is that the judge they're defying could charge the lower level functionaries involved with contempt. But of course, that means that contempt order would have to be enforced by some agency of the executive branch, so...

Mexico is paying for it. Well, along with all of that money rolling in from China,
I have a bunch of invoices from our freight forwarder/customs broker with the Trump Tariff charges listed. Anyone know where I need to send them for reimbursement?

That is the question, isn't it? I was hoping this thread might catch one of the shysters' eyes, 'cause all I've got is my IANAL shtick. What comes to my mind is that the judge they're defying could charge the lower level functionaries involved with contempt. But of course, that means that contempt order would have to be enforced by some agency of the executive branch, so...
I have to admit I do a double take every time I see "IANAL". It looks like either an admission or declaration. ;)

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT