ADVERTISEMENT

Trump gives Critical Race Theory the heave ho.

Is the payroll tax deferral actually being implemented to any extent? I've not seen or heard that it has been, and everything I have seen or heard says that it's up to the employer and that no employer in his right mind would actually do it.

Well the entire Federal govt is doing it... the largest employer in the country.

Reactions: Spartans9312
The payroll tax as structured has always been seen by liberals as unfair because it hits low and middle incomes the hardest. Trump said we should fund SS out of the general fund taxes. Not sure I agree with that, but I would think a liberal would be more likely to agree with that change than a conservative.

In my experience of running a small business, payroll taxes were always considered in decisions to expand staff. Since Trump is singularly focused on jobs, I think he sees payroll tax as an impediment to job growth. He could be right, I dunno.

Anyone who is retired right now has a very vested interest in Social Security. Well, probably 90%. Just about anyone over 50 who has been paying all these years has a vested interest in its survival. Well, 90% of the people or so.

Anything that damages the survival of Social Security is very problematic to a great many Americans.

We do need to make changes. We probably need to up the retirement age. And we need to up the max income Social Security is taxed against, going to your point on the fairness. Heck, I still argue investment income should be considered.

What do you think would happen if we destroyed Social Security today?

Well the entire Federal govt is doing it... the largest employer in the country.
Aren't a large number of federal employees exempt from Social Security and instead enrolled in their own plan? Not arguing, I sincerely want to understand how this is playing out.

The payroll tax as structured has always been seen by liberals as unfair because it hits low and middle incomes the hardest. Trump said we should fund SS out of the general fund taxes. Not sure I agree with that, but I would think a liberal would be more likely to agree with that change than a conservative.

In my experience of running a small business, payroll taxes were always considered in decisions to expand staff. Since Trump is singularly focused on jobs, I think he sees payroll tax as an impediment to job growth. He could be right, I dunno.
So Republicans are going to raise income taxes to pay for the loss os FICA revenue? LOL

Trump specifically referenced a clip from Tucker's show in a tweet, prior to the EO. How gullible are you?

So what? Do you really want to defend CRT based on what Tucker Carlson said? Calling out the racism and divisiveness inherent in CRT is a good thing. I really don’t give a damn how this came to Trump’s attention.

Trump specifically referenced a clip from Tucker's show in a tweet, prior to the EO. How gullible are you?

Stephen Miller, Trump's Senior Advisor, who has some opinions on race likely had something to do with it too.

They all pay in just as you and I.
Then I stand corrected. I could have sworn there was something different about Federal employees and Social Security. In a previous life I had a buddy that worked at the post office and I vividly remember him bragging about their pension plan being so much better than SS. But that was a long time and a lot of dead soldiers ago.

So yeah, back to @twenty's original point, it's going to be a mess when all those Federal employees go to file their taxes next year and find out they're on the hook for Trump's political stunt. It's not like he's going to flip the House and be able to make it permanent through legislation.

Then I stand corrected. I could have sworn there was something different about Federal employees and Social Security. In a previous life I had a buddy that worked at the post office and I vividly remember him bragging about their pension plan being so much better than SS. But that was a long time and a lot of dead soldiers ago.

So yeah, back to @twenty's original point, it's going to be a mess when all those Federal employees go to file their taxes next year and find out they're on the hook for Trump's political stunt. It's not like he's going to flip the House and be able to make it permanent through legislation.

Their system includes Social Security and more. They get other income above Social Security.

Reactions: UncleMark
That must have been a tough decision for you. I am sure that you have agonized and wavered over the very difficult choice, carefully weighing the pros and cons with an unbiased, analytical eye, making sure that 2+2 still equals 6.
ChubbyAgitatedAcouchi-small.gif

Fed employees hired prior to 1986 or so were part of a different retirement system, they did not pay into SS (and didn't get SS benefits). That was under the old full blown pension days. Any Fed hired after that time is in SS just like everyone else. They still get a pension, but it's a much smaller piece of than in the old system.

Reactions: stollcpa
Fed employees hired prior to 1986 or so were part of a different retirement system, they did not pay into SS (and didn't get SS benefits). That was under the old full blown pension days. Any Fed hired after that time is in SS just like everyone else. They still get a pension, but it's a much smaller piece of than in the old system.
Thanks. I feel better now. The "previous life" I referred to would have been several years prior to 1986.

While CRT has lurked in the background for a while, it began to get traction with the publication of White Fragility and has become a stylish and trendy subject of racism training in the last couple years. Current events have kicked in the afterburners. There are a number of problems with it. Primarily It rebukes MLK’s views of racial harmony by building insurmountable barriers to common understandings. I don’tknow how deeply Trump has dug into it, but frankly I don’t think it takes a great depth of knowledge to see its destructive nature. I really don’t care if Trump first heard of it on Fox. The point is ordering it to be cleansed from employee training is a very good thing. Hopefully the federal courts will drive a stake through it.
Please explain where in White Fragility is MLK's views of racial harmony rebuked and what barriers do they build?

From what I can gather he is seeking to eliminate racial sensitivity training in the federal government institutions.....in the middle of a summer of massive protests for racial justice.

The word I'd use is 'tone deaf' at a minimum.

What's being reported as the cause of this order is he thinks it's wrong to say that we had and we currently have a racial problem. Our history is a bit racist and God knows a nationalist can't accept that!

As far as your belief, quick social media glance doesn't seem to have much support among blacks, so unless you truly believe you know what's better than I'm not sure your view on this is the correct one.
He's just giving his racist slack jawed base a maga-boner. I doubt he even knows what the theory is.

Please explain where in White Fragility is MLK's views of racial harmony rebuked and what barriers do they build?

One could write hundreds of pages about this. I’ll try to sum up in a few sentences.

DiAngelo reduces white people, particularly white men, to a simple stereotype. The characteristics generally revolve around a fundamental and irreparable “discomfort” with black people (She ignores Latinos and Asians). Odly she says any disagreement with her theory is proof of her theory. Pretty weak stuff.

MLK’s approach was quite different. (Admittedly, I as many white people, didn’t fully appreciate MLK’s ideas until seeing them in comparison with CRT and DiAngelo.) MLK didn’t see American culture as a white stereotype. Instead he saw it as a common dream to which blacks were denied access. DiAngelo’s “fragility” is a way of negatively stereotyping whites which I think as a roadblock. She implicitly suggests diminishing whiteness will enhance blacks. King wants all of us, without regard to skin color to aspire to the same objectives. We are to be judged by character, not skin color

Is the payroll tax deferral actually being implemented to any extent? I've not seen or heard that it has been, and everything I have seen or heard says that it's up to the employer and that no employer in his right mind would actually do it.
Heard today that the federal government is doing this with its employees and the military. That’s a lot of people. I don’t see much of a benefit to it. The best that can be said for it is that it’s kind of a interest free loan, but they’ll pay it back starting in January. I think it’s a dumb thing. Also these people have their job an income intact. What’s the positive impact of this.

Aren't a large number of federal employees exempt from Social Security and instead enrolled in their own plan? Not arguing, I sincerely want to understand how this is playing out.
No. That’s the old system, CSRS, not the current one. CSRS was replaced by another system in 1987.

Heard today that the federal government is doing this with its employees and the military. That’s a lot of people. I don’t see much of a benefit to it. The best that can be said for it is that it’s kind of a interest free loan, but they’ll pay it back starting in January. I think it’s a dumb thing. Also these people have their job an income intact. What’s the positive impact of this.

Just another Trump con job.

Discussions on race at The Cooler.always stirs up plenty of comments.

This letter to the Indianapolis Star editor caught my attention this morning.

No one label should defines me — or any of you
Who am I? What am I?
Well, I'm a man. I'm a husband. I'm a father and a grandfather. I'm a brother, an uncle, a cousin, a brother-in-law, a father-in-law.
I'm a senior citizen, a retiree, a neighbor, a friend. I'm a citizen, a taxpayer, a voter, a military veteran.
To some, I'm a customer, a client or a patient. I am a Christian, a Hoosier, and I am an American.
I am a lot things. Aren't we all? We can't be defined or identified by one word.
Did I neglect to identify my race? Does it really matter?
Robert Warren
Greenwood

Reactions: stollcpa

Who am I? What am I?
Well, I'm a man. I'm a husband. I'm a father and a grandfather. I'm a brother, an uncle, a cousin, a brother-in-law, a father-in-law.
I'm a senior citizen, a retiree, a neighbor, a friend. I'm a citizen, a taxpayer, a voter, a military veteran.
To some, I'm a customer, a client or a patient. I am a Christian, a Hoosier, and I am an American.
I am a lot things. Aren't we all? We can't be defined or identified by one word.
Robert Warren
Greenwood
Unfortunately, Mr. Warren doesn't get to decide if his race defines him. That's a decision others make.

Unfortunately, Mr. Warren doesn't get to decide if his race defines him. That's a decision others make.

Yes and the the folks doing most of the defining are hypocritical assholes. What the hell gives them the right to label anyone? As long as it’s your side doing the labeling, there’s no problem. And until the labeling stops this country is going to get more divided.

Who am I? What am I?
Robert Warren
Greenwood

Have a feeling Mr. Warren is of white skin and doesn't know what it is like to be judged by the color of your skin.

Yes and the the folks doing most of the defining are hypocritical assholes. What the hell gives them the right to label anyone? As long as it’s your side doing the labeling, there’s no problem. And until the labeling stops this country is going to get more divided.
Then stop labeling “the folks” as hypocritical assholes!

Racism is an individual thing not one race thing. I have coached blacks along with whites and have never used a derogatory term like blackhat or any term associated with blacks but would point out being in the black is a good thing in accounting . I grew up in a white family that wasn't racist but CRT wants to blame all whites as racist. My wife came from a racist family but I taught her by exposing her to my players to see blacks are just like us. Just as whites and other races, there are good and bad people in all races but CRT doesn't bring that up from what I have seen.

If we look at the real difference it isn't about race as much as it is about class. Those of us that came up through poor conditions have had to work harder to succeed that those from well to do families. When all people make decisions that are good for them then we will have a better society. Blaming others for your shortcomings isn't the way to end inequality because it creates winners and losers just creating a different power structure to be fought against.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Have a feeling Mr. Warren is of white skin and doesn't know what it is like to be judged by the color of your skin.

This gives Mr. Warren the presumption response of " All Lives Matter" and judge me as a unique person because he has not walked in another man's shoes.

As long as it’s your side doing the labeling, there’s no problem.
That's a you problem. I'm just pointing out that Mr. Warren doesn't have the power to create this color-blind utopia for himself. Society decides how race matters, and the individual is in thrall to society's decision. Mr. Warren's race matters, whether he likes it or not.

Mr. Warren does have the individual power to make the race of others irrelevant to him. That's a noble goal we should probably all strive for. If we could all succeed at that, perhaps society would follow suit. After all, individuals do ultimately make up society. But we're clearly not there. And even if we got there, we'd still need patience, since society is formed not only by those now living, but also by those past.

Reactions: hoot1

Who am I? What am I?
Robert Warren
Greenwood

That's a solid list. Mine are a bit different.

Some people call me the space cowboy, but I'd hardly say being a space cowboy defines me. I mean shit. What does being a space cowboy even really entail anyway?

Some call me the gangster of love, but I honestly don't see it.

And some people, they call me Maurice. Why that is though, I have no fu*king idea. My name is Scott. But then again, I do hang out with a lot people who smoke a fu*k ton of peyote. So I guess I can see how someone could land at Maurice when addressing me.

Let's see, what else? Ah, yes.

Although I was never a picker, I am however, a grinner.

I'm a lover (depends on what though), and I'm a sinner...definitely a sinner.

I would play my music in the sun, but I don't know how to play any instruments. However, my girlfriend does. She plays the rusty trombone for me. Like, at least once a week. Although can't say she's ever done it in the sun. Not exactly an outdoor activity. Not in broad daylight anyhow.

And other than that...

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker...in addition to 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, as well as 1am, 2am and - on more than one occasion - 3 am: check, check, aaand check.

And uhhhh, yeah; that just about does it. Color me defined.

Last edited:
That's a you problem. I'm just pointing out that Mr. Warren doesn't have the power to create this color-blind utopia for himself. Society decides how race matters, and the individual is in thrall to society's decision. Mr. Warren's race matters, whether he likes it or not.

Mr. Warren does have the individual power to make the race of others irrelevant to him. That's a noble goal we should probably all strive for. If we could all succeed at that, perhaps society would follow suit. After all, individuals do ultimately make up society. But we're clearly not there. And even if we got there, we'd still need patience, since society is formed not only by those now living, but also by those past.

I don’t think society is deciding anything. Radicals decide and do all they can to divide us.

Some people call me the space cowboy, but I'd hardly say being a space cowboy defines me. I mean shit. What does being a space cowboy even really entail anyway?

And some people, they call me Maurice. Why that is though, I have no fu*king idea. My name is Scott. But then again, I do hang out with a lot people who smoke a fu*k ton of peyote. So I guess I can see how someone could land at Maurice when addressing me.

I would play my music in the sun, but I don't know how to play any instruments. However, my girlfriend does. She plays the rusty trombone for me. Like, at least once a week. Although can't say she's ever done it in the sun. Not exactly an outdoor activity. Not in broad daylight anyhow.

And other than that...

I'm a joker, I'm a smoker, I'm a midnight toker...in addition to 9pm, 10pm, 11pm, as well as 1am, 2am and - on more than one occasion - 3 am: check, check, aaand check.

Boooooooo

And other than that...

send me the shrooms

Reactions: Timmy!
divide and conquer

divide and conquer

divide and conquer

divide and conquer

all day everyday

a key strategy of the investor class war on the the working class hasn't changed at all in over a hundred yrs.

like with the whole "socialism" "communism" strategy, when strategies don't change over time, it's because they work.

and work they have.

divide and conquer

divide and conquer

divide and conquer

divide and conquer

all day everyday

a key strategy of the investor class war on the the working class hasn't changed at all in over a hundred yrs.

like with the whole "socialism" "communism" strategy, when strategies don't change over time, it's because they work.

and work they have.
Hey, we agree again!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT