ADVERTISEMENT

Trump fires Comey

Cynicism is cheap and we do an injustice to those who serve when we forget the constraints within which they must operate. This is true across party lines.
Very valid criticism. All I have in my defense is that I'm 51 years old and have been paying attention to politics my entire life. Based on experience, I am cynical about politics in Washington. I think a lot of people start out in politics for the right reasons, but not that many finish the same way. I don't mean to sound like the cranky old guy with no right to talk because he was never in the arena, it's just an observation based on life experiences with politicians of all political stripes.

That's a pretty speculative post for somebody complaining about ideological blinders.
What's ideology have to do with it? I'm an equal opportunity cynic ;)

Very valid criticism. All I have in my defense is that I'm 51 years old and have been paying attention to politics my entire life. Based on experience, I am cynical about politics in Washington. I think a lot of people start out in politics for the right reasons, but not that many finish the same way. I don't mean to sound like the cranky old guy with no right to talk because he was never in the arena, it's just an observation based on life experiences with politicians of all political stripes.

What's ideology have to do with it? I'm an equal opportunity cynic ;)
You are far from alone. But is self-interest a particularly compelling explanation for why Comey made the decisions he made? Do you think McConnell wakes up every day and asks himself how he can personally enrich himself at the public expense? I don't think self-interest explains very much about the decisions these folks make. Rather, they face very complicated decision environments in which actions they take can often produce non-obvious outcomes. I very much doubt McConnell has any use for Trump at all on a personal level. McConnell recognizes that Trump's political support and winning of the presidency dramatically alters the strategic landscape. He tolerates Trump because that is what he has to do to help his coalition achieve the policy objectives they are actually interested in. The Democrats, as the opposition, have an entirely free hand to be vigorous critics. Similarly, McMaster and Yates...they are not really pursuing their self interest as much as trying to do the best job they can in the roll they fill...alternatively, you can say they are pursuing their self-interest but their understanding of their self interest is highly dependent upon what they think the job demands.

ADVERTISEMENT