ADVERTISEMENT

Trump decides to pardon Arpaio

But without the outrage, there would be no reason for our resident constitutional scholars to come in here and arrogantly remind us that Trump has the constitutional authority to issue pardons.

That will happen. Let's face it, a lot of people get presidential pardons and the out if power never, ever like them. To me this is no better or worse than others.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
That will happen. Let's face it, a lot of people get presidential pardons and the out if power never, ever like them. To me this is no better or worse than others.
I view this one slightly differently, in that there appear to be no indications whatsoever of either 1) actual innocence or 2) remorse. This is the kind of pardon a President would normally save for his last day on the job.

I view this one slightly differently, in that there appear to be no indications whatsoever of either 1) actual innocence or 2) remorse. This is the kind of pardon a President would normally save for his last day on the job.
What's not different about Trump? He doesn't care what you or I think about what he does.

From a person researching if he can pardon himself, this barely moves the needle.

That sounds like a damn fine evening. What's your rye of choice tonight?

(BTW, bourbon is for amateurs.)
Drinking Bulleit Rye. Buddy from my first ship is a Vice President for MGP now and he turned me on to it the night before my Navy retirement ceremony. It's a fine, and not too expensive rye.

This was done for purely political reasons, to score points with the anti-immigrant base. That makes it unusual.

This was done for purely political reasons, to score points with the anti-immigrant base. That makes it unusual.
I don't think this will do anything to help his political standing or his reelection chances. However, what the heck do I (or we) know? I really thought the guy had no chance to win the nomination or Presidency in the first place.

Drinking Bulleit Rye. Buddy from my first ship is a Vice President for MGP now and he turned me on to it the night before my Navy retirement ceremony. It's a fine, and not too expensive rye.
Good choice. You score points over the dumbasses drinking Templeton (which is actually the same product).

If you want to spend a little money, try the Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve. Good stuff.

Not sure about that. There are plenty of pardons done...not that many done for political reasons.

Good choice. You score points over the dumbasses drinking Templeton (which is actually the same product).

If you want to spend a little money, try the Wild Turkey Russel's Reserve. Good stuff.
My friend told me that too. Lots of stuff out there actually comes from MGP. They're doing good business.

Strengthens the case for impeachment for sure, especially to news dump it in the middle of a hurricane hitting.

Not sure about that. There are plenty of pardons done...not that many done for political reasons.
I'd disagree with that in a way. Many are done as a sort of payback to special interests that supported our Presidents.

Strengthens the case for impeachment for sure, especially to news dump it in the middle of a hurricane hitting.
I don't think this has any bearing at all on any case for impeachment. How could it?

My friend told me that too. Lots of stuff out there actually comes from MGP. They're doing good business.
Funny thing is, they used to be a Seagram's distiller, but during the various mergers and splits, they got left in the dark. Then outsiders came in and saved it. They are doing very good business. They got a head start on rye, because they had a bunch that used to be used to blend into Seagram's 7 already on hand when rye started getting popular, so they got into the market early.

I think there might have been another owner between Pernod/Diageo and the current ownership, but you'd have to ask your friend to be sure.

Harrison is also MGP rye, and it's a good price, too. The real suckers are the ones paying for Templeton. :p

Well, it could in theory, since Congress can do whatever the hell it wants when it comes to impeachment, but I'd bet all the money in my pockets against anyone else that this is not listed in any future articles of impeachment.
They wouldn't list exercising his power as President to pardon in an article of impeachment. Won't happen.

Reactions: Ladoga
Well, it could in theory, since Congress can do whatever the hell it wants when it comes to impeachment, but I'd bet all the money in my pockets against anyone else that this is not listed in any future articles of impeachment.

So while a President is giving an Inaugural speech, the opposing party can file articles of impeachment, cause, you know, they don't "like" her?

I'm being agreeable. Remember I'm having a very nice cigar and rye. My wife and daughter are in Europe (I know, I'm a rich capitalist pig now :rolleyes:) so I can enjoy a little alone time.
I'm having a Yuengling and my first mass-produced tobacco product in a while (we switched to homemade a couple of years ago, but I was stuck in Ohio and 24 is a boring drive that will put you to sleep, so I bought some Camels). Sort of the white trash version of what you're doing.

Would you say that Trump's pardon was more politically motivated or less politically motivated than Arpaio's original conviction?

Reactions: Ladoga
I'm having a Yuengling and my first mass-produced tobacco product in a while (we switched to homemade a couple of years ago, but I was stuck in Ohio and 24 is a boring drive that will put you to sleep, so I bought some Camels). Sort of the white trash version of what you're doing.
I'm only a casual smoker. Despite actually coming from white trailer park trash by the metrics, I guess, I never got the habit and never even bought a pack of cigarettes, I smoke probably 12 to 20 cigars a year. Only good ones though. Can't stomach the cheap ones. Mother and stepfather smoked a lot of cigarettes, but neither I nor my sister did.

I'm only a casual smoker. Despite actually coming from white trash by the metrics, I guess, I never got the habit and never even bought a pack of cigarettes, I smoke probably 12 to 20 cigars a year. Only good ones though. Can't stomach the cheap ones. Mother and stepfather smoked a lot of cigarettes, but neither I nor my sister did.
Good for you. I wish I'd never picked up the habit. If I ever drop it entirely, though, I hope I still have the willpower to enjoy a good cigar once in a while without relapsing.

Would you say that Trump's pardon was more politically motivated or less politically motivated than Arpaio's original conviction?
Arpaio was convicted of willfully disobeying a court order. There was nothing political about his conviction. You could argue the court order itself was politically motivated, but Arpaio's defiance of it was cut and dried, black and white.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT