ADVERTISEMENT

Trump’s First Annual Budget Deficit Rises to a Six-Year High

twenty02

Hall of Famer
Jan 28, 2011
  • Fiscal gap climbs 17 percent to $779 billion, Treasury says
  • Spending grew 3.2 percent and revenue inched up 0.4 percent

Guess tax cuts don't pay for themselves. Revenue up a pathetic 0.4% when GDP growth is over 3%.

Political malpractice during a time of (over) full employment.

The modern day GOP has shown now TWICE in the last 2 decades that they should not be permitted to have total control of the Federal Government. They are like inviting alcoholics to an open bar and not expecting a total shitshow to break out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nual-budget-deficit-climbs-to-a-six-year-high

Guess tax cuts don't pay for themselves. Revenue up a pathetic 0.4% when GDP growth is over 3%.

The modern day GOP has shown now TWICE in the last 2 decades that they should not be permitted to have total control of the Federal Government. They are like inviting alcoholics to an open bar and not expecting a total shitshow to break out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nual-budget-deficit-climbs-to-a-six-year-high

Seems a bit premature to declare this less than a year into tax changes. Also, impossible to definitively blame the revenue side when you have plenty of fiscal policy headwinds (e.g. trade wars).

You know where I stand, just playing devil's advocate.

Also it is quite clear that we have a spending problem and the GOP is a huge part of that with the disaster passed.

Seems a bit premature to declare this less than a year into tax changes. Also, impossible to definitively blame the revenue side when you have plenty of fiscal policy headwinds (e.g. trade wars).

Also it is quite clear that we have a spending problem and the GOP is a huge part of that with the disaster passed.

They can't have it both ways....if the economy is growing well and unemployment is so low....there is zero excuse for a 0.4% YOY increase in revenue.... That's atrocious. I had to go check a couple other sites to make sure that wasn't a typo.

They can't have it both ways....if the economy is growing well and unemployment is so low....there is zero excuse for a 0.4% YOY increase in revenue.... That's atrocious. I had to go check a couple other sites to make sure that wasn't a typo.

I'm suggesting that this is the first year under a new tax regime and filings are done in 2019 for the 2018 tax year.

Are you giving them an “out” under the guise of the trade wars that they’ve started? Or is that just part of devils advocate?

WTF did you expect? Voodoo economics is voodoo economics. The economy was already strong and unemployment was already low. The pump was already fully primed. All they did was cut revenue and give a bunch of money to the corps.

Are you giving them an “out” under the guise of the trade wars that they’ve started? Or is that just part of devils advocate?

To me, there is some legitimacy there if you were someone who supported the tax cuts and not the trade wars (not sure who specifically that includes, but I can't imagine all of the GOP congressmen are that stupid - though I've been burned before assuming things)? Those fiscal policies counteract each other according to any rational economic model.

To me, there is some legitimacy there if you were someone who supported the tax cuts and not the trade wars (not sure who specifically that includes, but I can't imagine all of the GOP congressmen are that stupid - though I've been burned before assuming things)? Those fiscal policies counteract each other according to any rational economic model.
That’s precisely the point. Trump economics are not real economics. It’s some amorphous blend of overspending (against revenues) and interventionism / protectionism. It’s anything but conservative.

Reactions: Monkey Pox
Like for making me laugh.

In all seriousness we need the old GOP back, this country cannot be run solely on the ideologies of a party that basically have the management skill set of human resource managers and it sure in the hell can't be run by an incompetent sociopath no matter how useful of an idiot he has been to every opportunistic person, business and nation in the world. .

It was the balance between in the two ideologies that gave us security and, well, balance. One always tempered the others most knee jerk reactions. Though I blame both parties for trading ideology and principles for votes, (not happy with the Eunuch like left currently) one party went to the bottom of the barrel to scoop up the dregs of society to get them.

We need two more major parties at minimum. A left with the balls and courage to lead, and a right with literacy, morals, logic and knowledge to guide them.. We have neither.

It's a huge problem.

So ......

What do we do? Simplistically, cut expenditures and increase revenues.

Can we cut spending by 10%? I doubt it. I'm all for cutting wasteful DOD spending. I'd bet, if we were serious, we could cut as much as 15%. Any other areas of discretionary spending where we could find significant dollars? Doubtful.

We all know where the axe would have to come down and no politician has those kind of balls. The sacred cows ain't goin' anywhere.

How about doubling what those of us in the top 5% pay in taxes? I might have a problem with that. My kids might have a problem with that.

So, we have a dilemma. Early in my career, our senior management beat it into our heads that: "You can't save your way to plan; you grow your way to plan." Granted, easier to do when you don't have pesky voters in the mix.

Growth can be an elusive creature. Better trade deals help but the threat of tariffs is a non-starter. If I could take a two-by-four to Trump's forehead it would be on this one issue. We have some momentum, with lower corporate taxes, reduced regulations, increased business and consumer confidence and low unemployment. We need to punch in the turbo and grow our way through. I'm all for providing bonuses to those politicians who can discover their gonads and put some brakes on the spending. Growth will be the key but some oxen need to be gored.

It's a huge problem.

So ......

Can we cut spending by 10%? I doubt it. I'm all for cutting wasteful DOD spending. I'd bet, if we were serious, we could cut as much as 15%. Any other areas of discretionary spending where we could find significant dollars? Doubtful.

We all know where the axe would have to come down and no politician has those kind of balls. The sacred cows ain't goin' anywhere.

How about doubling what those of us in the top 5% pay in taxes? I might have a problem with that. My kids might have a problem with that.

So, we have a dilemma. Early in my career, our senior management beat it into our heads that: "You can't save your way to plan; you grow your way to plan." Granted, easier to do when you don't have pesky voters in the mix.

Growth can be an elusive creature. Better trade deals help but the threat of tariffs is a non-starter. If I could take a two-by-four to Trump's forehead it would be on this one issue. We have some momentum, with lower corporate taxes, reduced regulations, increased business and consumer confidence and low unemployment. We need to punch in the turbo and grow our way through. I'm all for providing bonuses to those politicians who can discover their gonads and put some brakes on the spending. Growth will be the key but some oxen need to be gored.

You'd need to return personal income tax rates back to where they were in the 90s. You'd also need to some fairly serious restructuring of the major entitlement systems....which are the major deficit drivers. Health care costs have skyrocketed....though the funding mechanism/tax rate hasn't changed for decades

And Medicare outlays are going to double over the next ten years.

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/the-facts-on-medicare-spending-and-financing/

I have no issue with the corp rate cuts to maintain competitiveness worldwide....but nothing was needed on the personal side whatsoever. Taxes should be going up on the personal side, not down. Americans seem entirely unwilling to pay for the govt services they demand.

You'd need to return personal income tax rates back to where they were in the 90s. You'd also need to some fairly serious restructuring of the major entitlement systems....which are the major deficit drivers. Health care costs have skyrocketed....though the funding mechanism/tax rate hasn't changed for decades

And Medicare outlays are going to double over the next ten years.

https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/the-facts-on-medicare-spending-and-financing/

I have no issue with the corp rate cuts to maintain competitiveness worldwide....but nothing was needed on the personal side whatsoever. Taxes should be going up on the personal side, not down. Americans seem entirely unwilling to pay for the govt services they demand.

Why would they?

Between the 2 parties they can have all the freebies and each side says you will not have to pay for them. The Republicans say that with tax cuts and the Democrats say that by saying they are going to tax that other guy who has more than you.

Frankly, it would suck, but I am for raising the tax rate to the level it would actually take to fund the government. After a year of that, let's sit down with the American taxpayer and actually see what level of government they are willing to pay for..

With deficits and interest rates rising it looks as if entitlements to the less affluent will have to be cut.

Excuse me, reformed not cut, just as the tax cuts were called tax reform.

We have created a monster of unbridled spending regardless of which party controls the purse strings, and unfortunately neither side has the political will to do anything about it. The left peddles the fallacy that taxing big_random_business and the "rich" will pay for their Utopian ideals. and the right peddles the fallacy that if we just give tax cuts to the correct entities that we can grow our way right through irresponsible deficit spending. It's going to take a combination of tax increases across the board, decreases in spending along those same lines to rein in the deficit, and I don't see that happening even in th best case scenario. It gets even worse when you take into account the desperate need of modernizing our aging infrastructure. It's a bleak outlook.

Who knew?!!

We need two more major parties at minimum. A left with the balls and courage to lead, and a right with literacy, morals, logic and knowledge to guide them.. We have neither.

I opined something along these lines on another forum I post on. Imagine in 2020, that a Trump/Pence (or a Trump/Paul) ticket for the Republicans vs. a Biden/Harris ticket. A fed up Sanders decides to run as an independent and someone unexpected (maybe a first term administration member who was jettisoned) joins the fray backed by the NeverTrump faction to run third party as well (Mattis/Haley anyone?). I mean, if we are dreaming we might as well dream BIGLY.

In all seriousness we need the old GOP back, this country cannot be run solely on the ideologies of a party that basically have the management skill set of human resource managers and it sure in the hell can't be run by an incompetent sociopath no matter how useful of an idiot he has been to every opportunistic person, business and nation in the world. .

It was the balance between in the two ideologies that gave us security and, well, balance. One always tempered the others most knee jerk reactions. Though I blame both parties for trading ideology and principles for votes, (not happy with the Eunuch like left currently) one party went to the bottom of the barrel to scoop up the dregs of society to get them.

You are quite correct. The parties are irreparably broken right now...we will see what comes back together with coalitions over the next couple decades.

The right has become intellectually bankrupt. They have won so much over the last 30+ years......they've actually enacted most of the things the conservative movement wanted back in the 70s. Now they are just fat and happy drunks at the bar.

The left has tried to play victimhood for every set of aggrieved class they could make up. Their economic message was co-oped by an orange colored NYC billionaire celeb..at least the economic message that used to win them elections in a prior generation.

And now they think they will win because Trump is vulgar and stupid and behaves like a adolescent child.

I'm just astonished they can pull this sham over, and over, and over.......

Same reasons every time. Same results every time.

Yup. If you don't care about caging children at the border, you're not going to care about food stamps for kids or for families that can't make a living wage. It's shameful.

Ryan has always talked about Ayn Rand...well, he's making her theories come true...and it's awful.

That was Ryan's blueprint all along.

Reactions: Digressions
Someone may want to explain to him how a bill becomes law.

He must really think his supporters are THAT dumb and gullible -- even one with a box with only a few rocks ought to be insulted.

We have a left led by, well, no one, at the moment. So we will see what comes of that. But we have a right led by racist, sexist nationalists. The smart and respectable conservatives (like a number on this forum whom I won't name for fear of accidentally leaving some out) are abandoning the party, but the jackasses that remain are numerous enough.

He must really think his supporters are THAT dumb and gullible -- .[/QUOTE]

They are.

nervous.gif
nervous.gif

wigflip-saywhat.jpg

Last edited:

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released its Budget and Economic Outlook today, projecting high and rising deficits and debt over the next decade and beyond.

CBO’s report shows:

• Debt held by the public will increase by more than $12.5 trillion under current law over the next decade – from $16.1 trillion today to $28.7 trillion by 2029.
  • Debt as a share of the economy will rise rapidly, from today’s post-war record of 78 percent of GDP to nearly 93 percent of GDP by 2029. Under CBO’s Alternative Fiscal Scenario (AFS), debt will reach 105 percent of GDP by 2029, approaching the all-time record set just after World War II.
  • Annual budget deficits will also steadily rise under current law, eclipsing $1.1 trillion by 2022 and reaching nearly $1.4 trillion late in the decade. Under the AFS, trillion-dollar deficits will return by next year and the budget deficit will exceed $2 trillion late in the decade. Depending on the scenario, budget deficits will reach 4.4 to 7.1 percent of GDP by 2029.
  • Growing deficits and debt are the result of rising spending and depressed revenue. Under current law, spending will grow from 20.3 percent of GDP in 2018 to 22.7 percent by 2029 while revenue will remain around 17 percent of GDP through 2025 and rise to 18.3 percent by 2029, assuming many recent tax cuts expire. Under the AFS, revenue will remain at 17.0 percent of GDP in 2029 while spending rises to 24.1 percent.
  • Cumulative deficits through 2028 are projected to be $1.2 trillion lower under current law than in CBO’s last baseline from April 2018. The entire improvement can be attributed to two factors that may not ultimately materialize: lower assumed disaster spending and new tariffs imposed by the Administration.
  • CBO continues to project strong economic growth for 2019, but real annual growth will fall below 2 percent for most of the decade.
CBO’s latest projections show that the fiscal situation will continue to deteriorate as a result of irresponsible tax and spending legislation and the growth of health, retirement, and interest spending. Lawmakers must act sooner rather than later to prevent the slower wage growth, higher interest payments, reduced fiscal space, and increased risk of fiscal crisis that would likely occur on our current path.

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released its Budget and Economic Outlook today, projecting high and rising deficits and debt over the next decade and beyond.

CBO’s report shows:

• Debt held by the public will increase by more than $12.5 trillion under current law over the next decade – from $16.1 trillion today to $28.7 trillion by 2029.
  • Debt as a share of the economy will rise rapidly, from today’s post-war record of 78 percent of GDP to nearly 93 percent of GDP by 2029. Under CBO’s Alternative Fiscal Scenario (AFS), debt will reach 105 percent of GDP by 2029, approaching the all-time record set just after World War II.
  • Annual budget deficits will also steadily rise under current law, eclipsing $1.1 trillion by 2022 and reaching nearly $1.4 trillion late in the decade. Under the AFS, trillion-dollar deficits will return by next year and the budget deficit will exceed $2 trillion late in the decade. Depending on the scenario, budget deficits will reach 4.4 to 7.1 percent of GDP by 2029.
  • Growing deficits and debt are the result of rising spending and depressed revenue. Under current law, spending will grow from 20.3 percent of GDP in 2018 to 22.7 percent by 2029 while revenue will remain around 17 percent of GDP through 2025 and rise to 18.3 percent by 2029, assuming many recent tax cuts expire. Under the AFS, revenue will remain at 17.0 percent of GDP in 2029 while spending rises to 24.1 percent.
  • Cumulative deficits through 2028 are projected to be $1.2 trillion lower under current law than in CBO’s last baseline from April 2018. The entire improvement can be attributed to two factors that may not ultimately materialize: lower assumed disaster spending and new tariffs imposed by the Administration.
  • CBO continues to project strong economic growth for 2019, but real annual growth will fall below 2 percent for most of the decade.
CBO’s latest projections show that the fiscal situation will continue to deteriorate as a result of irresponsible tax and spending legislation and the growth of health, retirement, and interest spending. Lawmakers must act sooner rather than later to prevent the slower wage growth, higher interest payments, reduced fiscal space, and increased risk of fiscal crisis that would likely occur on our current path.

Did the CBO forget that the Trump tax cuts would pay for themselves ten times over?

CBO’s report shows:

That budget hawk Mulveney must have missed the meeting that day.

What do you consider the “modern day GOP”? They’ve been doing this shit since the 80s.

CBO’s report shows:

You mean if we increase spending faster than we increase tax revenue, it's bad?

giphy.gif

It's a huge problem.

So ......

Maybe increase GDP consumption by doubling the minimum wage and challenging companies to meet the increased demand.Of course, it would also pay to remove President Rash from the equation so soybean farmers wouldn't lose years of creating foreign demand with the scrawl of a pen.

Reactions: Digressions
Can we be sure the CBO isn’t part of the Deep State too?

Are they also anti-Trump like the CIA, the NSA...every other intelligence service, the FBI, the top military brass, etc?

Can we be sure the CBO isn’t part of the Deep State too?

Are they also anti-Trump like the CIA, the NSA...every other intelligence service, the FBI, the top military brass, etc?

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Do you think they will scratch his name from the history books in the years to come? Or leave him in as the pinnacle of human stupidity? And to be studied by historians wondering how someone so intellectually bankrupt, could rise so high.

Reactions: iuwclurker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT