ADVERTISEMENT

Truck deliberately mows down people at Pride Parade

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Mayor of Fort Lauderdale labels it a "deliberate, terrorist act"... One person dead, another critical...

FL recently enacted a law that essentially protects motorists who run over demonstrators.
However this was an official event, so it will be interesting to see how that new law is applied...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
Mayor of Fort Lauderdale labels it a "deliberate, terrorist act"... One person dead, another critical...

Maybe. Initial reports are often wrong so it’s usually best to wait.

I agree with the sentiment that we should be cautious and wait for facts. That said, he was pulled from his truck by police while "shouting vulgarities," so let's be honest, we know where this is going to end up.
I rarely read the first reports because they’re often so wrong. We’ll see what really happened soon.

The driver is apparently connected to the people he ran over via the Ft Lauderdale Gay Men's Chorus of which all involved are members.

One of my old law partners was a gay man big in his gay men’s chorus. They can be a hateful group. There was always somebody in there out to get him. I thoroughly enjoyed when he’d plop down in my office and rant about how much he hated so and so and wanted to get so and so. It’s a cut throat community. Believe it. Sorry to see it end this way but some of them probably had it coming.

Reactions: vesuvius13
One of my old law partners was a gay man big in his gay men’s chorus. They can be a hateful group. There was always somebody in there out to get him. I thoroughly enjoyed when he’d plop down in my office and rant about how much he hated so and so and wanted to get so and so. It’s a cut throat community. Believe it. Sorry to see it end this way but some of them probably had it coming.
I have zero experience with members of the gay men's chorus community, so this is very enlightening commentary.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I have zero experience with members of the gay men's chorus community, so this is very enlightening commentary.
Lol oh they can be vicious. Like a pack of angry Pomeranians. I had no idea either until I counseled my old law partner through a host of hateful events in his gay man’s chorus. Spanned a decade. And the guy was an anheuser. Loaded. But that horrible chorus meant more to him than anything.

Lol oh they can be vicious. Like a pack of angry Pomeranians. I had no idea either until I counseled my old law partner through a host of hateful events in his gay man’s chorus. Spanned a decade. And the guy was an anheuser. Loaded. But that horrible chorus meant more to him than anything.
At least the mayor didn't jump the gun and call it deliberate or a terrorist attack.

Almost every account that I've read has talked about Chorus connection. Several of those are now saying it was possibly an accident. It's a shame the original story in the OP hasn't been updated.

The driver is apparently connected to the people he ran over via the Ft Lauderdale Gay Men's Chorus of which all involved are members.

So this wasn't "what everyone was thinking" and @Aloha Hoosier was right. Guess all the hateful conservatives posts will have to wait for another day.

FL recently enacted a law that essentially protects motorists who run over demonstrators.
However this was an official event, so it will be interesting to see how that new law is applied...

Well done, outcome only 180° different from the explicit intent of your original post. Maybe a lesson can be learned here.
In your case, probably not.....

Last edited:
It's interesting to me that this incident is getting tons more publicity than the one in AZ, which happened at nearly the same time:

It's interesting to me that this incident is getting tons more publicity than the one in AZ, which happened at nearly the same time:

We are becoming violent as shit. Murders like crazy in cities. Mass shootings. Disgruntled employees. Pedestrians getting mowed down. Hopefully it has some lingering Covid connection that will subside with the benefit of time passing.

We are becoming violent as shit. Murders like crazy in cities. Mass shootings. Disgruntled employees. Pedestrians getting mowed down. Hopefully it has some lingering Covid connection that will subside with the benefit of time passing.
I think it’s social media. IMO it’s going to get worse not better.

Reactions: Crayfish57

That's the one I originally thought OP was about.

Time for an update?

He’s as brainwashed as the people he incessantly posts about.
Malicious propaganda has always . ALWAYS .. targeted rural uneducated conservative rubes. From Roguespierre to Pol Pot, to Hitler, to Imams, to Magats. Goebbels didn't target the educated liberals in Hamburg or Berlin, they targeted the conservative country bumpkin rubes in Bavaria. Using propaganda techniques on educated socially/sexually functional people, doesn't work and is a waste of time.

Keep spinning the up is down, down is up narrative .. which is another form of common propaganda... and one that leaves you looking foolish in the end.

Bunch of goose steppers ..

Malicious propaganda has always . ALWAYS .. targeted rural uneducated conservative rubes. From Roguespierre to Pol Pot, to Hitler, to Imams, to Magats. Goebbels didn't target the educated liberals in Hamburg or Berlin, they targeted the conservative country bumpkin rubes in Bavaria. Using propaganda techniques on educated socially/sexually functional people, doesn't work and is a waste of time.

Keep spinning the up is down, down is up narrative .. which is another form of common propaganda... and one that leaves you looking foolish in the end.

vapid generalities; once again the irony of your post is lost on you. so let's stay on topic. you have a far left poster excited to post (huffpost article) the comments of a democrat mayor - both of whom have once again engaged in a rush to judgment, which seems to be a propagandist theme with the libs. my guess is this story will fade just as quickly as the attacks on Asians once the media ascertained that same were too frequently at the hands of blacks.

Bunch of goose steppers ....

Last edited:

My Gawd , are you just insane or an a**hole? no need to answer we all know.If propoganda works on stupid people you are their #1 target.

Reactions: DANC and stollcpa

Counterpoint:

"One reason that propaganda often works better on the educated than on the uneducated is that educated people read more, so they receive more propaganda. Another is that they have jobs in management, media, and academia and therefore work in some capacity as agents of the propaganda system—and they believe what the system expects them to believe. By and large, they’re part of the privileged elite, and share the interests and perceptions of those in power."

– Noam Chomsky, Propaganda, American-style

Counterpoint:

"One reason that propaganda often works better on the educated than on the uneducated is that educated people read more, so they receive more propaganda. Another is that they have jobs in management, media, and academia and therefore work in some capacity as agents of the propaganda system—and they believe what the system expects them to believe. By and large, they’re part of the privileged elite, and share the interests and perceptions of those in power."

did you know he's still teaching? it's insane.

At some point, A guy like you should probably ask yourself, “why did I want this to be a hate crime? Why would it have been so ****ing cool if this were a hate crime and I could’ve used this to attack conservatives?”

There’s no right answer. You’re part of the problem. I expect you to join the solution. Or don’t. Your call.

I’m wondering where this law that “protects people who run over demonstrators” can be found but Cosmic seems to have vacated the thread.

Pity.

Reactions: DANC
I’m wondering where this law that “protects people who run over demonstrators” can be found but Cosmic seems to have vacated the thread.

Ten seconds on Google. Here's one example:

On Monday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed an “anti-riot” bill that allows harsher police crackdowns on demonstrators—an apparent response to the “defund the police” and Black Lives Matter movements. (“This bill actually prevents local governments from defunding law enforcement,” DeSantis said.) A public gathering of three or more people can be classified as a “riot” under the law, and anyone who “willingly” participates in such a gathering can be charged with a third-degree felony. Plus, participants in rallies that turn violent can be also be charged with a third-degree felony even if they had no involvement with the violence. Most jarring of all, the law grants civil immunity to drivers who ram into protesting crowds and even injure or kill participants, if they claim the protests made them concerned for their own well-being in the moment.

Reactions: largemouth
Counterpoint:

This could be an interesting debate if we’re not allowed to discuss 1. This Florida incident 2. Trump.

Which demographic(s) do malicious propaganda target the most throughout history? Which demographic has been most susceptible to malicious propaganda throughout history?

I’m not subscribing to Chomsky’s theory. It’s lazy in my opinion. Receiving more propaganda because you read does not translate to believing it. More information, exposure, and education betters one’s ability to call bullshit.

Plus, some glaring examples of propaganda changing world history such as Germany are hard to ignore. But, I want to stay neutral because I’m honestly interested in hearing some objective opinions from team GOP. What you say mcmurtry, etc?

This could be an interesting debate if we’re not allowed to discuss 1. This Florida incident 2. Trump.

Which demographic(s) do malicious propaganda target the most throughout history? Which demographic has been most susceptible to malicious propaganda throughout history?

I’m not subscribing to Chomsky’s theory. It’s lazy in my opinion. Receiving more propaganda because you read does not translate to believing it. More information, exposure, education betters one’s ability to call bullshit.

Plus, some glaring examples of propaganda changing world history such as Germany are hard to ignore. But, I want to stay neutral because I’m honestly interested in hearing some objective opinions from team GOP. What you say mcmurtry, etc?
Concur. Too much father’s day celebrating to think clearly. That said, and under a cloud of booze, i agree with your historical perception of the demo most susceptible to propaganda more than Chomsky’s theory, but I’m not certain how useful history is given the uniqueness of our present info overload from 24 hour news/social media etc.

It’s a good topic and I like your conditions. I’m going to give it more thought and revisit it if that’s cool

I’m not subscribing to Chomsky’s theory. It’s lazy in my opinion. Receiving more propaganda because you read does not translate to believing it. More information, exposure, and education betters one’s ability to call bullshit.

Everyone is susceptible to propaganda, if you believe you are not, then chances are that you are one of the most susceptible.

I could make the argument that a bunch of you on here gobbled up all sorts of propaganda over the course of the last year because politics. They just sell it to you differently. Many of you have an inflated opinion of your superiority to the rubes who don't live in the city or vote the way you do and that is the avenue the propagandists use to get you to do as they wish. They just stroke people like you and TMP's ego in the right way and you all will unquestionably gobble up lies you want to be true as quickly as any Cambodian country rube.

Jibes with my work experiences around them over the years... Their standard major weakness was that they were all routinely catty as a bunch of 12 to 13 year old girls...; just viscous as hell (to the point of instability) when they got sideways of each other...

Reactions: DANC
Everyone is susceptible to propaganda, if you believe you are not, then chances are that you are one of the most susceptible.

I could make the argument that a bunch of you on here gobbled up all sorts of propaganda over the course of the last year because politics. They just sell it to you differently. Many of you have an inflated opinion of your superiority to the rubes who don't live in the city or vote the way you do and that is the avenue the propagandists use to get you to do as they wish. They just stroke people like you and TMP's ego in the right way and you all will unquestionably gobble up lies you want to be true as quickly as any Cambodian country rube.
Absolutely we all are suspectable. With politics getting more divided and the amount of money tribalism brings in, it's even more important to understand the slants, the motives and then finally it's up to you to ask if the story is believable.

The last point being what I think TMP is getting at.

That being said, many intelligent people have fallen for scams, gaslighting, propaganda especially when you want it to be true. It's human nature.

ADVERTISEMENT