ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble for Warnock and Dems in GA?

I just saw the vid for the first time. That is sad. I'm not saying that as a joke. It's literally depressing.
I agree.

For all the good the internet and smartphones do, these videos make a strong case against them. There have always been asshats, but now asshats are emboldened with crazy conspiracy theories and the promise of a gotcha moment.

I'm sure Trump loved these videos, but he still wouldn't want anything to do with any of the people filming or chanting in them. I don't get why these people mindlessly follow him.

Reactions: cosmickid
It's hard to combat Trump when 60% of the GOP base is on his side.

Moderate Republicans will be running against the MAGA base for the foreseeable future. They could have killed this in 2015/16 but they didn’t. Then they spent the last 4 years nurturing the growth. The problem for the GOP’s return to sanity will be the primaries because there you have to face the insane base.

Moderate Republicans will be running against the MAGA base for the foreseeable future. They could have killed this in 2015/16 but they didn’t. Then they spent the last 4 years nurturing the growth. The problem for the GOP’s return to sanity will be the primaries because there you have to face the insane base.
It’s important to remember the context of the 2016 elections. Democrats were predicted to not be able to win the House until 2020 at the earliest. As atrocious as Trump has been, for Democrats he is the gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: cosmickid

It was close to too late then. They had Rush, Hannity, Fox News, and the Koch Bros and others feeding the radical element of their base for years, then Facebook turbocharged that and enabled complete kook outlets to get traction that are completely disengaged from reality.

Without that Humpty Dumpty getting put back together again so the base will trust even something like Fox News telling them what they don't want to hear, it's going to be very hard for the traditional Republicans.

It’s important to remember the context of the 2016 elections. Democrats were predicted to not be able to win the House until 2020 at the earliest. As atrocious as Trump has been, for Democrats he is the gift that keeps on giving.
Trump seems to have given the Democrats two Senators in Georgia, too. Trump's strategies show he is a political mastermind.

Reactions: hoot1
That is what they have staff’s for.
Do you think reading it out loud causes anyone to pay attention?

That is what they have staff’s for.
Do you think reading it out loud causes anyone to pay attention?
Of course not. But they should. And I doubt the staff reads it either for many of them. The volume of pages alone coupled with the timing of votes makes it impossible.

I would think taking a stand against state and local dollars or taking a stand on school openings would play better in West Virginia than taking a stand on UI.
He was holding it up to get news coverage as being the plucky blue dog reigning in the Democrats.
The amount saved over the amended version was minimal. I don't know what other principled stand it could be.
If his efforts result in snagging a Republican vote or two, then I'll give him credit for taking the lead on at least attempting to put forth a more bipartisan bill. If they don't, then he'll be proven to be a schmuck. I'm betting on schmuck.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
The amount saved over the amended version was minimal. I don't know what other principled stand it could be.
His stated rational was principled and I trust supported by many Americans - whether he knew the outcome was preordained so just posturing as a schmuck may also be true

His stated rational was principled and I trust supported by many Americans - whether he knew the outcome was preordained so just posturing as a schmuck may also be true

What was his stated reason, searching Manchin has led to numerous stories, none saying why. Heck, his fellow blue dogs Tester and Sinema are quoted as saying they had no idea why.

I applaud him on one part, it has become too easy to vote the company line. In the 1960s our elected officials voted 60% corporate line, now it is 90% (https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidd...er-on-congress-the-curse-of-party-line-voting). We need that 60%. RINO (or the never used DINO) should be badges of honor.

If Manchin had a principle, it appears he did a bad job of getting that news out. But if he did, power to him for standing up for it. Most of our elected officials only stand for the party, and most of us want that. So ultimately we are to blame.

What was his stated reason, searching Manchin has led to numerous stories, none saying why. Heck, his fellow blue dogs Tester and Sinema are quoted as saying they had no idea why.

I applaud him on one part, it has become too easy to vote the company line. In the 1960s our elected officials voted 60% corporate line, now it is 90% (https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidd...er-on-congress-the-curse-of-party-line-voting). We need that 60%. RINO (or the never used DINO) should be badges of honor.

If Manchin had a principle, it appears he did a bad job of getting that news out. But if he did, power to him for standing up for it. Most of our elected officials only stand for the party, and most of us want that. So ultimately we are to blame.
That we’ll have vaccines for everyone by May and that the economy will recover and the amounts and duration of unemployment benes were unnecessary and perhaps a disincentive to returning to work

All of this stimulus again comes back to whether this bill will ever come due

That we’ll have vaccines for everyone by May and that the economy will recover and the amounts and duration of unemployment benes were unnecessary and perhaps a disincentive to returning to work

All of this stimulus again comes back to whether this bill will ever come due

I think there is quite a bit of folly there. It took years to get over the Great Recession. We are not going to vaccinate the 70th percentile on Tuesday and be at full employment on Wednesday.

Reactions: UncleMark
If his efforts result in snagging a Republican vote or two, then I'll give him credit for taking the lead on at least attempting to put forth a more bipartisan bill. If they don't, then he'll be proven to be a schmuck. I'm betting on schmuck.
And I would be right. Zero Republican votes.

I think there is quite a bit of folly there. It took years to get over the Great Recession. We are not going to vaccinate the 70th percentile on Tuesday and be at full employment on Wednesday.
It will take several months (I'm thinking like 6-10) before the decimated sectors like restaurants and bars and travel and conventions and sports and hotels get back to anything close to pre-pandemic levels. Some will be quicker than others, of course. Nicks will come back quicker than the 4th Street places that went out of business.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
It will take several months (I'm thinking like 6-10) before the decimated sectors like restaurants and bars and travel and conventions and sports and hotels get back to anything close to pre-pandemic levels. Some will be quicker than others, of course. Nicks will come back quicker than the 4th Street places that went out of business.
Every convention I go to for work (3) is already bumped to 2022

Reactions: UncleMark
But again this is state by state and region by region. Some states sports and parasitic industries are wide open others haven’t started

Since you mentioned Nick's, they had a line to get in last night. We ordered curbside from Buffalouies, they were slammed. A line out the door for the 20 minutes we waited (our food was ready 20 minutes after the time we were given due to how crowded it was).

I saw an article about Pizza X, their sales have been up but profits down. And that is a pizza place that already did 100% takeout/delivery. It is going to take a long time to get back to where the food sector was.

I think the economy will grow very quickly and very unevenly.

But again this is state by state and region by region. Some states sports and parasitic industries are wide open others haven’t started
It's still going to be a long slog, and the people who work in most of these customer facing service type jobs are the ones who have the fewest resources and smallest cushions.

I saw an article about Pizza X, their sales have been up but profits down. And that is a pizza place that already did 100% takeout/delivery.
Interesting. Makes no sense, either. I'd have to see their financials to see where the problem is.

It's still going to be a long slog, and the people who work in most of these customer facing service type jobs are the ones who have the fewest resources and smallest cushions.
Well as to those types; hopefully folks with dough are all amped to get out this summer and drink and spend and go wild. It’s been a longggg winter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT