ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Patterson

We heard the same things about Crean and he was far more successful than Archie. Coaches come and go. More turn out to be busts than good hires. I don’t mind making a bad hire, I just don’t want to continue to drag out the inevitable.
You are a friggin idiot. The jury is still out on Archie. You can’t compare Archie with Crean. You give a guy who has no character flaws(Gillispie) 5 years. You don’t fire them after 3. You just troll and troll and troll unless you really are this stupid.

Reactions: Al Bino and mattn7
You are a friggin idiot. The jury is still out on Archie. You can’t compare Archie with Crean. You give a guy who has no character flaws(Gillispie) 5 years. You don’t fire them after 3. You just troll and troll and troll unless you really are this stupid.
That mentality is the reason we missed on Stevens and kept Crean for 9 years.

We fire Archie now because we didn’t try to hire Stevens 8 years ago? lol. Guess the really good ones grow on trees and are ripe for the picking. Anyway, keep trucking along with this utter bullshit.
Do you have a better chance making a shot if you get 1 attempt or 2?

Like you or anyone else knew. You friggin moron!
Well I did say it on here almost every day for two years. If you were a member here back then you would remember. I was ridiculed relentlessly for wanting to fire Crean.

Well I did say it on here almost every day for two years. If you were a member here back then you would remember. I was ridiculed relentlessly for wanting to fire Crean.
You and about a million others. It’s not like it wasn’t thought of. It was too late when he went to those finals. He wasn’t a choice for any jobs before that so stop making it sound like you “knew” before then. God you are a narcissist!

You and about a million others. It’s not like it wasn’t thought of. It was too late when he went to those finals. He wasn’t a choice for any jobs before that so stop making it sound like you “knew” before then. God you are a narcissist!
No it wasn’t well thought of. 90% of IU fans were still part of the Crean cult at that time and thought we could get no better. Were you not old enough to remember?

JFC who gives AF about f Crean. It’s the past. Your act is getting old AF. Go away.
Because the Crean era ruined IU basketball. And a lot of our fans haven’t learned from it. Now I’m hearing if Archie finishes 5th in the Big Ten and goes to a Sweet 16 he deserves a huge extension. Why can’t we learn?

Because the Crean era ruined IU basketball. And a lot of our fans haven’t learned from it. Now I’m hearing if Archie finishes 5th in the Big Ten and goes to a Sweet 16 he deserves a huge extension. Why can’t we learn?
Please tell me what IU accomplished since 1995?

Because the Crean era ruined IU basketball.

lol . . . the program falling on hard times had nothing to do with the inept management of the IU Administration, huh?

For a troll, you get more pathetic each day in your attempt to be one every day, kiddo. Need to up your game.

lol . . . the program falling on hard times had nothing to do with the inept management of the IU Administration, huh?

For a troll, you get more pathetic each day in your attempt to be one every day, kiddo. Need to up your game.
Was there no IU Administration during the Crean era?

The downfall of IU basketball wasn’t Crean’s fault. He was just doing his job, albeit very poorly. He can’t be expected to fire himself. The blame falls on Glass, the rest of the IU administration, and the fan base for allowing and supporting it.

Now the same people are making the exact same mistakes prolonging the mess even further.

Guess some things never change, huh?
They really don’t. And people never learn. In a couple years everyone will be saying they never liked Archie but the new guy “gets it” and is guaranteed to be the next RMK. The never ending revolving door.

Was there no IU Administration during the Crean era?

The downfall of IU basketball wasn’t Crean’s fault. He was just doing his job, albeit very poorly. He can’t be expected to fire himself. The blame falls on Glass, the rest of the IU administration, and the fan base for allowing and supporting it.

Now the same people are making the exact same mistakes prolonging the mess even further.
Only an absolute fool would think firing Miller now is the right thing to do. Of course you are a fool - and a funny guy! ;)

That mentality is the reason we missed on Stevens and kept Crean for 9 years.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this point.

Stevens wasn't considered an up and comer, he was catching the attention of the best minds in the game before the championship runs.

Knight said he wished his teams were as smart as Stevens. Wooden said he was his favorite coach because he's a teacher, doesn't bring attention to himself and is the most prepared. Pitino said he was the best young mind in the game.

That was before the tournament runs.

At the end of the Duke game, coach K went against his staffs recommendations and told Zoubeck to miss the second free throw on purpose only giving them a 2 point lead because K said 'I didn't want to give that coach a chance to set something up'.

I mean good lord.

I'll go to my grave pissed off that we didn't recognize what kind of coaching monster was a little over an hour from us....especially when he took Butler to back to back finals, the second after losing Heyward while we lost 15 games in a row in year 3.

That being said. There is no Stevens out there that I'm aware of. If you look at the best coaches under 40, Will Wade is at the top and while he's been really good, he's also in the middle of the FBI investigations.

White from Florida is encouraging but, there isn't anyone who is a slam dunk perfect fit like Stevens was and the program is in much better shape as far as culture than it was under Crean IMO.

Firing Archie now, after he's rebuilt the culture and has shown improvement even while losing Romeo and Morgan last year, with no Stevens almost sure thing replacemen, would be a dumb and reckless move right now.

Stevens wasn't considered an up and comer, he was catching the attention of the best minds in the game before the championship runs.

Knight said he wished his teams were as smart as Stevens. Wooden said he was his favorite coach because he's a teacher, doesn't bring attention to himself and is the most prepared. Pitino said he was the best young mind in the game.

At the end of the Duke game, coach K went against his staffs recommendations and told Zoubeck to miss the second free throw on purpose only giving them a 2 point lead because K said 'I didn't want to give that coach a chance to set something up'.

I mean good lord.

I'll go to my grave pissed off that we didn't recognize what kind of coaching monster was a little over an hour from us....especially when he took Butler to back to back finals, the second after losing Heyward while we lost 15 games in a row in year 3.

That being said. There is no Stevens out there that I'm aware of. If you look at the best coaches under 40, Will Wade is at the top and while he's been really good, he's also in the middle of the FBI investigations.

White from Florida is encouraging but, there isn't anyone who is a slam dunk perfect fit like Stevens was and the program is in much better shape as far as culture than it was under Crean IMO.

Firing Archie now, after he's rebuilt the culture and has shown improvement even while losing Romeo and Morgan last year, with no Stevens almost sure thing replacemen, would be a dumb and reckless move right now.
The best coaches are all in their twilight years. My bet is we stick this thing out. I agree completely.

Reactions: TommyCracker
They really don’t. And people never learn. In a couple years everyone will be saying they never liked Archie but the new guy “gets it” and is guaranteed to be the next RMK. The never ending revolving door.
So who would take the Indiana job if Archie was fired?

I mean good lord.

To be fair, the timing didn’t make a Crean firing/Stevens hiring an easy decision. Stevens was being noticed by many before his final four runs. But I doubt many, if any, on this board were pining for Stevens until after his first title game run.

Glass would have had to fire Crean after year 2, and hire a 30 something coach, that had only been a head coach for 3 years. I think he should have done just that. But even I can’t remember if I was vocal about that at the time. And while I’m always a loyal supporter in the end, I wasn’t often a Crean backer for most of his tenure at IU. Despite Vic, Cody, and Jordan being some of my favorite players ever.

That spring/summer of 2010 was the time to do it. It was basically our only shot to get Stevens. There was rumored to be an “IU clause” in his contract. He and his wife have deep roots in the state. I’d be surprised if we wouldn’t have landed him if we’d have went after him hard that spring.

One of the problems with that was we were in the middle of a heated recruiting battle for one Cody Zeller that spring/summer. I don’t know if that played a role, but I’d guess it did. If we hadn’t gotten Zeller that fall, would that have pushed Glass to go after Stevens and get rid of Crean after the 10-11 season? He certainly didn’t have a great year that year.

But Cody did sign. Then he inked the great 12 class. Then Vic exploded. Then Wats shot went down. Then we beat OSU. Sweet 16. No way you make a move like that at that point. Many probably thought Butler had peaked. And IU was back to 70s/80s stuff.

I enjoyed watching some of the talented kids Crean had at IU. I cheered for every team. I hoped every one would win it all. But I never liked Crean, his style, his hectic recruiting approach, etc... I’d like to think I’d have let reason override emotion in either the spring of 10 or spring of 11. And locked Stevens up. There was enough info available to make that call.

But it would have been a very tough one to make.

I believe we have the right coach. I have lived most of my life watching Bob Knight teams and he of course will go down as one of the best ever. I loved watching those teams play. I see in the way our teams are playing under Archie and there are some similar things with his teams. I also see similar type of roster building that I believe was lacking with the prior coach. I see us getting older and more experienced players with playing experience. We have improved every year since Archie became coach. Everyone knows Crean lost the state in recruiting and Archie is winning many battles with in state kids. I remember Crean offering anybody and everybody and that’s when you get Grant G, Tim P, Jeremiah A and so on. Archie offers who he sees that can play his style and build his roster and they are mostly 4* and 5* players. I have full confidence that we will be a team that many will not want to play. Next year we will be a very good team and we will be a top 3 or 4 in the league and top 25 ranking. We have enough talent to be 1 but the BIG is very tough. If Garza comes back, Iowa will definitely be a top 5 team nationally and Wisconsin brings everybody back and they tied for conference championship last year. If Tillman comes back for MSU they will be also tough. The Big ten will be brutal next year. Top 3 or 4 would be great.
I am very confident in where we are headed as a program. Go Hoosiers!

To be fair, the timing didn’t make a Crean firing/Stevens hiring an easy decision. Stevens was being noticed by many before his final four runs. But I doubt many, if any, on this board were pining for Stevens until after his first title game run.

Glass would have had to fire Crean after year 2, and hire a 30 something coach, that had only been a head coach for 3 years. I think he should have done just that. But even I can’t remember if I was vocal about that at the time. And while I’m always a loyal supporter in the end, I wasn’t often a Crean backer for most of his tenure at IU. Despite Vic, Cody, and Jordan being some of my favorite players ever.

That spring/summer of 2010 was the time to do it. It was basically our only shot to get Stevens. There was rumored to be an “IU clause” in his contract. He and his wife have deep roots in the state. I’d be surprised if we wouldn’t have landed him if we’d have went after him hard that spring.

One of the problems with that was we were in the middle of a heated recruiting battle for one Cody Zeller that spring/summer. I don’t know if that played a role, but I’d guess it did. If we hadn’t gotten Zeller that fall, would that have pushed Glass to go after Stevens and get rid of Crean after the 10-11 season? He certainly didn’t have a great year that year.

But Cody did sign. Then he inked the great 12 class. Then Vic exploded. Then Wats shot went down. Then we beat OSU. Sweet 16. No way you make a move like that at that point. Many probably thought Butler had peaked. And IU was back to 70s/80s stuff.

I enjoyed watching some of the talented kids Crean had at IU. I cheered for every team. I hoped every one would win it all. But I never liked Crean, his style, his hectic recruiting approach, etc... I’d like to think I’d have let reason override emotion in either the spring of 10 or spring of 11. And locked Stevens up. There was enough info available to make that call.

But it would have been a very tough one to make.

You're right on your recollection after year two.

I was pining for it but realized (and got into heated debates on here) that it was aggressive.

However after year three is where I just got pissed.

Stevens just went back to back national titles in his 4th year, again after losing a lottery pick the season before. Obviously a great player can lift a team on a run...ah hem Dwayne Wade, Steph Curry, David Robinson but Stevens rode Heyward, lost him and then got back there again from the Horizon league.

It was absolutely remarkable.

He had something like an insane 94% winning percentage when he had 4 or more days to prep, which is why he rarely lost on the first round games of the week (1st round, sweet 16 and final four games).

The timing was perfect. He was losing Howard and Mack (he didn't make the tourney the following year) and Crean went an embarrassing 3-15 like, finishing last in the conference in year three.

Yes Zeller was coming in, but Stevens was so regarded Butler made Cody's final three. He admitted it was all Stevens as he didn't want to play in the horizon league with no TV.

My point was, if we make the tough decision to cut ties with Crean then, we very likely get a still 30 something Stevens to coach that core with Zeller still coming in.

Can you imagine how we might have faired against Syracuse with more than four days to prep for the sweet 16? By the way, I think Butler beat Syracuse during their tourney runs.

Now we can really print up the 'we're back' shirts knowing that we have the best young coach in the game like we did in 1971.

But....we didn't pull the trigger.

Today is a different situation. There is no superstar young coach other than Beard (who I would switch with Archie if there was an opportunity, but I have huge doubts that we appeal to Beard).

That and Archie has rebuilt the infrastructure of the program. I love everything he's done to be honest...now it's about the dubs.

You're right on your recollection after year two.

I was pining for it but realized (and got into heated debates on here) that it was aggressive.

However after year three is where I just got pissed.

Stevens just went back to back national titles in his 4th year, again after losing a lottery pick the season before. Obviously a great player can lift a team on a run...ah hem Dwayne Wade, Steph Curry, David Robinson but Stevens rode Heyward, lost him and then got back there again from the Horizon league.

It was absolutely remarkable.

He had something like an insane 94% winning percentage when he had 4 or more days to prep, which is why he rarely lost on the first round games of the week (1st round, sweet 16 and final four games).

The timing was perfect. He was losing Howard and Mack (he didn't make the tourney the following year) and Crean went an embarrassing 3-15 like, finishing last in the conference in year three.

Yes Zeller was coming in, but Stevens was so regarded Butler made Cody's final three. He admitted it was all Stevens as he didn't want to play in the horizon league with no TV.

My point was, if we make the tough decision to cut ties with Crean then, we very likely get a still 30 something Stevens to coach that core with Zeller still coming in.

Can you imagine how we might have faired against Syracuse with more than four days to prep for the sweet 16? By the way, I think Butler beat Syracuse during their tourney runs.

Now we can really print up the 'we're back' shirts knowing that we have the best young coach in the game like we did in 1971.

But....we didn't pull the trigger.

Today is a different situation. There is no superstar young coach other than Beard (who I would switch with Archie if there was an opportunity, but I have huge doubts that we appeal to Beard).

That and Archie has rebuilt the infrastructure of the program. I love everything he's done to be honest...now it's about the dubs.

I hadn’t remembered that Butler made Zellers final 3. Yeah, that lengthens that window I mentioned. He really should have pulled the trigger right after the 11’ season.

Stevens with Cody and Vic would have been fun.

And I agree on where we’re at now. I don’t think Beard is nearly as “no brainer” as Stevens was. And obviously I’ve been in record many times that I think Archie has built, and will continue to improve upon a very solid program at IU. And once he gets us to the top of the league, we’ll stay there.

If he doesn’t get into the 5-6 range in the conference this year though...it does start getting to the point where all the good things he’s doing start mattering less. He does have to start winning bigger.

I hadn’t remembered that Butler made Zellers final 3. Yeah, that lengthens that window I mentioned. He really should have pulled the trigger right after the 11’ season.

Stevens with Cody and Vic would have been fun.

And I agree on where we’re at now. I don’t think Beard is nearly as “no brainer” as Stevens was. And obviously I’ve been in record many times that I think Archie has built, and will continue to improve upon a very solid program at IU. And once he gets us to the top of the league, we’ll stay there.

If he doesn’t get into the 5-6 range in the conference this year though...it does start getting to the point where all the good things he’s doing start mattering less. He does have to start winning bigger.
We need more of beating Michigan state at home. Not much bigger win than that. If we just closed out those games at home.....

With all of the talk on this Patterson thread not discussing Patterson....I thought I would mention him. Guess we've made his final 3 with Florida & Nova. I know Nova is the heavy favorite, but it sounds like we've still got a punchers chance in this one. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

With all of the talk on this Patterson thread not discussing Patterson....I thought I would mention him. Guess we've made his final 3 with Florida & Nova. I know Nova is the heavy favorite, but it sounds like we've still got a punchers chance in this one. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.
I’d say it’s between us and nova.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
ADVERTISEMENT