ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kaufman to IU is imminent

I have heard that Kauffman and Lander don’t get along. So don’t expect Kauffman to go to IU. Hope your info is correct though
Where have you heard that? They don't play AAU together and their high school teams haven't played each other since they've been in high school.

I have heard that Kauffman and Lander don’t get along. So don’t expect Kauffman to go to IU. Hope your info is correct though

That might be mitigated to a great degree if Kaufman thinks he's a good PG. I've caught tons of passes from players I didn't like and I never once hesitated to put it in the basket if I could, because the passer was a jerk. If he thinks he's a good player, I don't think that would be a deal killer. If I hoped to play after college I'd pick a more talented PG that I didn't like 10/10 Xs vs a less talented buddy. And I'm the first to admit I have zero insight in to their actual relationship, just a comment.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Where have you heard that? They don't play AAU together and their high school teams haven't played each other since they've been in high school.

Didn't Lander switch from Indiana Elite (K's team) to another AAU team this year.......that might be part of the rumor...is there smoke?

Reactions: bsmitty08
It's Kaufman and Furst who don't want to play together.
I could see that simply because they play the same position. Kaufman got the better of Furst when Silver Creek played Blackhawk Christian in the Forum Tip-Off Classic at Southport in December. Word has been that Furst is a Michigan State lean.

That might be mitigated to a great degree if Kaufman thinks he's a good PG. I've caught tons of passes from players I didn't like and I never once hesitated to put it in the basket if I could, because the passer was a jerk. If he thinks he's a good player, I don't think that would be a deal killer. If I hoped to play after college I'd pick a more talented PG that I didn't like 10/10 Xs vs a less talented buddy. And I'm the first to admit I have zero insight in to their actual relationship, just a comment.

Maybe, but that's a pragmatic/adult way to look at it. These are still high schoolers. Hopefully they have some good adult advisors helping them.

Reactions: kkott
Didn't Lander switch from Indiana Elite (K's team) to another AAU team this year.......that might be part of the rumor...is there smoke?
No. Lander played up a year with Indiana Elite 2020 alongside Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal.

Kaufman plays with Indiana Elite 2021 along with J.R. Konieczny (Notre Dame commit) and Logan Duncomb (IU target).

Last edited:
Maybe, but that's a pragmatic/adult way to look at it. These are still high schoolers. Hopefully they have some good adult advisors helping them.

Still, unless they really had a blowup, I think even in HS that wouldn't have been a factor. Again, in HS I had teammates I didn't like, and it's safe to assume that's going to happen after as well.

TK and KL have had opportunities to play on the same AAU teams, but for whatever reasons, never have. I tend to think that it is not a dislike, but just different reasons for the teams they chose to play with. i will not be surprised when TK picks IU shortly after the state tourney run ends.

TK and KL have had opportunities to play on the same AAU teams, but for whatever reasons, never have. I tend to think that it is not a dislike, but just different reasons for the teams they chose to play with. i will not be surprised when TK picks IU shortly after the state tourney run ends.
Lander always had a desire to reclassify because he has legitimate NBA aspirations. Playing up a year with IE 2020 was a reflection of that. Kaufman stayed with his age group on the 2021 team.

Like you said, it's nothing about bad blood.

I could see that simply because they play the same position. Kaufman got the better of Furst when Silver Creek played Blackhawk Christian in the Forum Tip-Off Classic at Southport in December. Word has been that Furst is a Michigan State lean.

Furst also played tough in that game, just had to sit more due to foul trouble in the first half. IMO they could definitely play together at the same time, and wow would IU have a tough inside/outside duo. Furst can hit the 13-17 foot shot, for sure.

No. Lander played up a year with Indiana Elite 2020 alongside Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal.

Kaufman plays with Indiana Elite 2021 along with J.R. Konieczny (Notre Dame commit) and Logan Duncomb (IU target).

what I was saying is that Lander's not on the '21 Indiana Elite roster....I thought I saw he was on another roster?

I get that, and the statistical advantage of the 3 - you only need to shoot 33% to yield a 50% 2-point equivalent - is a strong argument in favor of that.

But if the defense is giving you 12 foot baseline jumpers, hitting 50% of those would yield a 33% 3 point shot equivalent . . . and may open up more opportunities from the 3 point line since the defense would have to move to guard quality mid-range jump shots.

I just don't see a downside in having a mid-range shot in the quiver . . . .

II agree, I watch the 1976 Championship again and look at the ball movement in that game, whose going to stop that now? Nobody! I almost wish our team, this year, would just pretend the 3 didn't exist and move the ball. If we (being DG) happen to hit a 3, so be it.

Who doesn’t want to play with a stud PG?
Is that meant to imply we are getting Lander too? That would be great, but someone recently posted video of this kid from Vincennes U that actually looks more college ready/better than Lander. I'd rather see us go after that talent. if Lander is playing mind games on what he'll choose, go to UL at the last minute, and leave us with nothing, I'd rather have that one in the bank

I agree, especially if you're not a good 3 pt shooting team, but analytics tells them a mid to long range 2 pt shot is the worst statistical one there is, which is one of the reasons it's disappearing.

It is too easy, they need to move the college 3 back to pro specs.

I recall Silver Creek back in the day of one-class basketball when they had an all-Green front line - RT Green, his brother Steve Green (IU starter in 74-75) and another guy named Green who went by initials and who was not related to the other two guys. They were a force even without class ball . . . .

And their Dad was the coach!

Reactions: Sope Creek
I think Furst is better than Kaufmann, however, Furst looks to me as if he'd be perfectly comfortable in Gold and Black, there's just something that doesn't spell IU about him. I can't name it, but I just don't see him here. Sort of the Eric Montross type

Reactions: Boiler223
Is that meant to imply we are getting Lander too? That would be great, but someone recently posted video of this kid from Vincennes U that actually looks more college ready/better than Lander. I'd rather see us go after that talent. if Lander is playing mind games on what he'll choose, go to UL at the last minute, and leave us with nothing, I'd rather have that one in the bank

Lol wow dude..

I think his future is as a more skilled version of his dad. Big, athletic and will to bang inside but more accomplished in terms of passing and shooting (to the 12-15 foot range). He’ll need to keep bulking up to get there, but that’s the ground he’s likely to occupy and the principal reason that NBA scouts don’t currently value him as they might down the road.
I think that's exactly right, I remember seeing DD just whip home a monster dunk, not even sure he jumped much, just brutal I think against the Knicks in the playoffs. It was just where did that come from. I think Jr. has some of that, but a totally different skillset, less brute force, rebounding, probably more skill.

Huh? Lander committed to IU yesterday.

Reactions: MrBing
It is too easy, they need to move the college 3 back to pro specs.

They just moved it back, what almost 2'? I think the pro court is a little wider. As often as I've seen guys step on the sidelines this year, I don't think a pro arc would fit. I think we're at the international distance now, which seems to make sense. If you get to the highest level, you have the longest 3 to make.

how good is this Duncomb kid? I hadn't heard of him. He's from Cincy from what I read. Anybody have info on him?

From what I've seen in highlights he looks fairly skilled but is a little undersized for a true center and doesn't have the athleticism to be an imposing 4. Does have a pretty decent offer list however with Ohio State, Xavier, and Wisconsin recruiting him the hardest along with us. Although known as a football school, Moeller has churned out some pretty good D1 players these past few years. Jaxson Hayes was a lottery pick and Miles McBride at West Virginia was very under-recruited and plays a significant role as a true freshman this year.

From what I've seen in highlights he looks fairly skilled but is a little undersized for a true center and doesn't have the athleticism to be an imposing 4. Does have a pretty decent offer list however with Ohio State, Xavier, and Wisconsin recruiting him the hardest along with us. Although known as a football school, Moeller has churned out some pretty good D1 players these past few years. Jaxson Hayes was a lottery pick and Miles McBride at West Virginia was very under-recruited and plays a significant role as a true freshman this year.
Thx Coach.

Yeah, but I'd say much more skilled. I never really wanted Dale to have the ball, except on the receiving end of a drive and dish, or off an offensive board. Whereas with TJD, I love to have the ball in the post and wish he'd even shot fake from 15' and see if he can get a bite, and take that 1 dribble for a slam, layup or foul. Dale was a lot more rugged, and much less skilled. TJD's on a whole different level offensively, and a slightly lesser one defensively and on the glass. It sure has seemed to me that his Dad (or someone) must've worked with him, as he's so sound and comfortable with the ball and rebounding. Most bigs are a little sloppy with the ball in the post, because they were used to being bigger and more talented than opponents in HS. Reminds me of Alan Henderson in that regard. I wish he'd push his game out a little more offensively as Henderson could.
I think TJD has great promise, but I don’t think he’s on a whole different level offensively, at least not yet. His offensive game is still limited and he occasionally gets pushed off the block too easily. A very good player with great potential, but he’ll need to develop quite a bit to meet the level of his dad.

Thx Coach.

Absolutely. He would be a 4 year player at Indiana. Does address our need for a 5 man for the 2021 season, especially if TJD leaves after his sophomore year, but I wouldn't count on him being a major contributor for a couple years. Reminds me of a smaller Luke Fischer if you remember the name. Luke actually had a fairly decent career at Marquette after transferring in a guard-centric offense.

Very excited about Lander, I did not look at things yesterday and it is a big surprise. I would hope he reclassifies and we might have a strong backcourt next year that can do something with TJD. I've been very disappointed in Arch's tenure so far, but this is big business, I feel good things coming again, good get!

They just moved it back, what almost 2'? I think the pro court is a little wider. As often as I've seen guys step on the sidelines this year, I don't think a pro arc would fit. I think we're at the international distance now, which seems to make sense. If you get to the highest level, you have the longest 3 to make.
Incorrect. The NBA court is exactly the same dimensions as the court the NCAA uses. 94' long, 50' wide.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I
Absolutely. He would be a 4 year player at Indiana. Does address our need for a 5 man for the 2021 season, especially if TJD leaves after his sophomore year, but I wouldn't count on him being a major contributor for a couple years. Reminds me of a smaller Luke Fischer if you remember the name. Luke actually had a fairly decent career at Marquette after transferring in a guard-centric offense.
I really liked Luke and was sorry to see him leave IU. I would catch a few Marquette games to see how he was doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT