ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kaufman Q&A

As I stated before, Kaufman will be committing to IU. The original plan was for a commitment after Silver Creek's season, but the current virus pandemic has affected the timeline. The family was planning a sit-down with the IU coaching staff, but social distancing has prevented that from happening.

As I stated before, Kaufman will be committing to IU. The original plan was for a commitment after Silver Creek's season, but the current virus pandemic has affected the timeline. The family was planning a sit-down with the IU coaching staff, but social distancing has prevented that from happening.
FaceTime, baby!!

Reactions: minneman
FaceTime, baby!!
While that's a worthwhile solution, the sit-down meeting would extend to meetings with academic support staff, strength and conditioning staff, etc. There are more people involved than simply Archie Miller, Bruiser Flint, Tom Ostrom and Mike Roberts. FaceTime doesn't lend itself to the type of final meeting prior to sealing a major life decision.

Last edited:
While that's a worthwhile solution, the sit-down meeting would extend to meetings with academic support staff, strength and conditioning staff, etc. There are more people involved than simply Archie Miller, Bruiser Flint, Tom Ostrom and Mike Roberts. FaceTime doesn't lend itself to the type of final meeting prior to sealing a major life decision.
I know - just being helpful. :D

Covid-19 is probably going to give an advantage to programs that already have a solid relationship with players. Not as much opportunity for a Duke to come in last minute and try to sway a kid. Gotta like our chances with Trey, Mohammed and Duncomb.

Reactions: kkott

Well, with no sit-down meetings in the foreseeable future, the programs that jump on the "virtual meeting" bandwagon will definitely have an advantage. If I was a HC, I'd be working on suggesting/schedulding those as much as I could and I'd role play several with existing players to make sure they were top notch. Social media has become really important and might level or tilt the playing field and status quo a bit.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
The posters with the inside knowledge always keep me entertained. Some posters say no chance Trey goes to IU and they back it up with all of their insider knowledge. I seem to recall someone saying he didn't want to play with Lander blah blah. Now in this thread he seems to be a lock for IU but his original plan for when the commitment would come has changed due to Covid-19. Good stuff! LOL

Reactions: RunninRichie
Nick Baumgart just said on Twitter that he's hearing "You can forget about Kaufman to IU". Hasn't said why, but can't imagine it has anything to do with Duncomb as he appears to be a true 5 vs. Trey's 3-4.

Nick Baumgart just said on Twitter that he's hearing "You can forget about Kaufman to IU". Hasn't said why, but can't imagine it has anything to do with Duncomb as he appears to be a true 5 vs. Trey's 3-4.
Link? I’m not real concerned with a Michigan homer trying to get Twitter ratings.

I know - just being helpful. :D

Covid-19 is probably going to give an advantage to programs that already have a solid relationship with players. Not as much opportunity for a Duke to come in last minute and try to sway a kid. Gotta like our chances with Trey, Mohammed and Duncomb.
Duncomb committed to IU, lessens the loss of Furst who has little perimeter game.

Link? I’m not real concerned with a Michigan homer trying to get Twitter ratings.
Not sure if this will link right or not,

Nick does a good job and seems to be plugged into S. Indiana HS basketball, so I wouldn't totally dismiss him.

Not sure if this will link right or not,

Nick does a good job and seems to be plugged into S. Indiana HS basketball, so I wouldn't totally dismiss him.
I'll state this again:

It would be a major surprise if Kaufman does not end up at IU. It would take something along the lines of the relationship between Kaufman and the coaching staff souring, IU choosing to take a different player for Kaufman's spot, etc.

In the world of recruiting, there are always the hot rumors of the week, but I'm sticking with what I know and what I've been saying since the first week of March.

I would love to have Trey at IU but unfortunately with what happened with Garcia, nothing is a done deal until he signs. Sorry but it just seems like things change day to day with kids.

Reactions: bailey777
I'll state this again:

It would be a major surprise if Kaufman does not end up at IU. It would take something along the lines of the relationship between Kaufman and the coaching staff souring, IU choosing to take a different player for Kaufman's spot, etc.

In the world of recruiting, there are always the hot rumors of the week, but I'm sticking with what I know and what I've been saying since the first week of March.

Hope you are right, but you seem to be on an island in this belief among "experts" or anyone claiming to be in the know. I forget what you base this on, don't you know a friend or family member? If we get Lander, and with Duncomb that has the makings of a great '22 season. As good as TJD was, I still think there's a good chance he comes back for his junior year, unless he shows a lot of development in a perimeter game that was non-existent this year. Hard for me to imagine that happening in 1 year, but you never know.

Reactions: bsmitty08
I could have the argument about recruits not being alive the last time IU was relevant but what's the point. You are correct sir Purdue is terrible.

Hmmm, no recruits were alive in 13 when IU was ranked #1 for a large part of the seasson? Who knew!

And before you say it, at least we have NCAA banners to have dust on them and visiting recruits are still allowed to see them hanging in AH!! I am sure that Helms banner is impressive too! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hope you are right, but you seem to be on an island in this belief among "experts" or anyone claiming to be in the know. I forget what you base this on, don't you know a friend or family member? If we get Lander, and with Duncomb that has the makings of a great '22 season. As good as TJD was, I still think there's a good chance he comes back for his junior year, unless he shows a lot of development in a perimeter game that was non-existent this year. Hard for me to imagine that happening in 1 year, but you never know.
My connection is to an individual who works in the upper levels of IU Athletics. That person's stance on Kaufman is unchanged after the Duncomb commitment.

In terms of Jackson-Davis, it's no secret he has NBA aspirations. Will he show enough progress/development to become a surefire first-round selection in the 2021 NBA Draft? It's too early to tell, but I would not be surprised if he declares for the draft while maintaining the option to return to IU.

If Kaufman is committed and Jackson-Davis chooses to return for his junior season, would that be cause for Kaufman to explore other options? Again, that's an unknown. There are a lot of moving pieces, but the belief, for now, is Kaufman committing to IU.

If not for a missed free throw PU would have been playing in the final 4 last year playing Auburn. I know most people on this board hates Purdue but they play hard disciplined ball. That’s why someone would want to go there.

Reactions: kkott
My connection is to an individual who works in the upper levels of IU Athletics. That person's stance on Kaufman is unchanged after the Duncomb commitment.

In terms of Jackson-Davis, it's no secret he has NBA aspirations. Will he show enough progress/development to become a surefire first-round selection in the 2021 NBA Draft? It's too early to tell, but I would not be surprised if he declares for the draft while maintaining the option to return to IU.

If Kaufman is committed and Jackson-Davis chooses to return for his junior season, would that be cause for Kaufman to explore other options? Again, that's an unknown. There are a lot of moving pieces, but the belief, for now, is Kaufman committing to IU.

Well, I see that as less encouraging. I though you knew someone on the Kaufman side of things. You really think there are folks "in the upper level of other teams athletic departments" who think they aren't getting Kaufman? I'd imagine there are at least 4 schools (IU, Lville, PU, XU) where folks in the upper levels of their athletic departments believe they'll get him, but at least 3 will be disappointed. It's generally human nature to think your chances of success in a task are better than they really are. Otherwise, no one would ever buy a lottery ticket.

I think TJD will be a surefire first rounder next year, but will have to show more perimeter skills to be a lottery pick. I don't sense he's the kind that is just dying to get to the NBA, or needs to for family reasons, and will take his time if he's not going to be drafted where he thinks he should be.

I don’t think whether TJD stays or goes has any impact on Kaufman’s decision . Also he’s not going to PU with Furst and others ahead of him on the depth chart. The only school I would be worried about is Louisville and they also have guys he would have to compete with.
If he’s a smart guy and I think he is he’ll pick IU.

Have you watched college basketball the last 5 years? It's been over 1500 days since IU beat Purdue. Maybe that's why.

You do know that really only matters to PU fans that have nothing other than victories over IU to brag on? Ask a kid what’s more impressive, 5 old banners & the history IU enjoys or 1500 days between losses to a conference rival...

If you wanna sling bs about how PU is superior, do it where people are tainted enough to buy it. PU has had better teams than IU for several years but it would take decades for PU to overcome the gap in prominence outside of the stinkhole PU resides in...

If not for a missed free throw PU would have been playing in the final 4 last year playing Auburn. I know most people on this board hates Purdue but they play hard disciplined ball. That’s why someone would want to go there.

The purdue official neckwear should have been officially switched from neckties to canine "choker chains" decades ago...

Everyone who actually follows basketball knows that.

Anyone who commits to p u clearly isn't serious about winning Championships...

Last edited:
Reactions: IULouie
The purdue official neckwear should have been officially switched from neckties to canine "choker chains" decades ago...

Everyone who actually follows basketball knows that.

Anyone who commits to p u clearly isn't serious about winning Championships...
I agree - they do choke a lot

You do know that really only matters to PU fans that have nothing other than victories over IU to brag on? Ask a kid what’s more impressive, 5 old banners & the history IU enjoys or 1500 days between losses to a conference rival...

If you wanna sling bs about how PU is superior, do it where people are tainted enough to buy it. PU has had better teams than IU for several years but it would take decades for PU to overcome the gap in prominence outside of the stinkhole PU resides in...

Ummm, I can assure you it matters to me. One of my biggest hopes for this team was that they'd end the PU futility, and we should have with their roster this year. Maybe our team and program need this game to "matter" a little more to them?

Reactions: Birnk403
Ummm, I can assure you it matters to me. One of my biggest hopes for this team was that they'd end the PU futility, and we should have with their roster this year. Maybe our team and program need this game to "matter" a little more to them?
PU fans appreciate your endorsement...

ADVERTISEMENT