ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kaufman or Mason Miller

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
Looks like both players are heavily considering IU. Can we land both ? Or only 1?

Let’s go for both. Lots of versatility and size to guard multiple positions. I would love to see a long lineup that creates matchup problems.
I agree. Versatile players and good shooters. Would also like to get that 7 footer mentioned on this board.

Seems like we're offering a lot of guards and wings lately, but we could sure use some height in the frontcourt. Been eaten up by the bigs in the B1G in the last few years.

Reactions: kkott and BigMobe
I'd love to sign both. Miller is really more of a small forward in the Big Ten or the pros, so I don't think it they're mutually exclusive. I'd like to see Miller get strong enough to play the 4, but he isn't close to there yet.

It seems that Mason is more of a 3 although he's seen as a 3/4 because he's 6'8/6'9.

Kaufman is more of a 4 although he's viewed as a 3/4.

So they both can see the floor together (hopefully Hunter and Geronimo will have something to say about that).

If you can only take one you have to go with Kaufman easily to continue recruiting the best of the state.

I believe we've only lost one the past four years in Brooks (Furst maybe too). We got Romeo, Rob, TJD, Leal and Galloway and Lander.

Furst is a hell of a prospect but we didn't go after him as hard as we are/did for Lander and Kaufman in 2021. That might have been we just never got into a strong position with him.

Furst is a better prospect than Brooks.
Fort Wayne area leans to Purdue (Swanigan, Furst, Tony Jones, Kramer, Raphael Davis), other than Luke Recker, John Flowers, JBJ to IU.

Last edited:
I would rather have Kaufman than Furst.

Furst was definitely the better player as an underclassman, probably due to his height and strength, which is why he is ranked much higher, but Kaufman has a much higher ceiling because he is more athletic, has more range, and is much more versatile.

But the thing I like most about Kaufman is that he's a winner. I remember a couple years ago listening to Porter Moser talk about his recruiting strategy and how he wanted players who had won state championships or had a lot of experience in that environment. It's a shame that the IHSAA Tournament was cancelled because Kaufman's team had a good chance to go back-to-back State Championships; Galloway could have also won his second title, and Leal's Bloomington South team was undefeated and the favorite to win it all this year for his first.

Furst was definitely the better player as an underclassman, probably due to his height and strength, which is why he is ranked much higher, but Kaufman has a much higher ceiling because he is more athletic, has more range, and is much more versatile.

But the thing I like most about Kaufman is that he's a winner. I remember a couple years ago listening to Porter Moser talk about his recruiting strategy and how he wanted players who had won state championships or had a lot of experience in that environment. It's a shame that the IHSAA Tournament was cancelled because Kaufman's team had a good chance to go back-to-back State Championships; Galloway could have also won his second title, and Leal's Bloomington South team was undefeated and the favorite to win it all this year for his first.
Kauffman in my mind is Jeffries like. Has range, can run and still hold his own in the post. Not sure about handles. Jeffries played just about every spot on the floor at times. Very versatile.

Kauffman in my mind is Jeffries like. Has range, can run and still hold his own in the post. Not sure about handles. Jeffries played just about every spot on the floor at times. Very versatile.
I loved Jeffries' passing. He made Fife,Coverdale, and Hornsby because defenses would collapse and shooters would spot up.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT