ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Galloway shooting?

billyhillui

Junior
May 18, 2015
Has anyone noticed that Trey releases his jump shots from an abnormal position/release point? Maybe his field goal percentage would increase, if he were to release the ball where most other players release it. I had the same problem as Trey at age 13, then decided to start releasing my shots from where most other players do. Has Trey tried to change his shot release point/spot?

Has anyone noticed that Trey releases his jump shots from an abnormal position/release point? Maybe his field goal percentage would increase, if he were to release the ball where most other players release it. I had the same problem as Trey at age 13, then decided to start releasing my shots from where most other players do. Has Trey tried to change his shot release point/spot?
I see you made your way over here from GBI, McNutt.

I think they are going to try to have him shoot left-handed this year.
Doesn't he already shoot left handed? Seriously, if he changes his ball release point, it (will take some time) will gradually improve his shooting. He shoots like Eastern (formerly) of Purdue, who had the same problem. It takes time to change your release point (& be (somewhat) successful), but it is well worth it.

Last edited:
No idea about the false id, fake stuff, etc.
He does need to shoot better.
Like Eastern (formerly) of Purdue, from about 8' in, he/they are close enough to lay the ball in or shoot it well enough, without using their usual shooting release. Beyond about 8', their shot tends to wander. Both are good athletes & basketball players, but if they continue to shoot from off to one side/unbalanced, they will continue to experience frustration & more missed shots, especially from long(er) distances.

Last edited:
Galloway's shot mechanics are an issue, but this is hardly a new discussion.

Has anyone noticed, you ask? Yes, when he was 15. I'm sure he has worked on his shot repeatedly to smoothen up his mechanics, but it's hard to transition a jump shot. You really have to shut down and just work on that, otherwise old habits creep in.

Has anyone noticed, you ask? Yes, when he was 15. I'm sure he has worked on his shot repeatedly to smoothen up his mechanics, but it's hard to transition a jump shot. You really have to shut down and just work on that, otherwise old habits creep in.
When I finally decided to change/better my release point, (age 13) I dreaded it, & knew it would take a (relatively) long time to fix/change, & be successful with. If I recall, it took me the better part of a year to do, be comfortable/natural with & successful with. Now, just picture a successful/good/very good hs or college player taking off a year/season (& all the bad shooting stats that go with that year), or even sacrificing a year. I think that is why so many hs & college players either never change their shot mechanics, or put it off far, far too long. Your shooting % stats will suffer mightily in that year, & the people offering you scholarships, pro $$$, & the like, might just decide to go after someone else?

Bottom line, the longer they wait to change their shot, the tougher it is, & the more costly it is, in more ways than one.

Btw, you mentioned "...it's hard to transition a jump shot." The best way to do it/the way I did it, was, start with your set shot. First close in, then when you've gotten good at that range, move a little farther out, & so on, & so on. I did work in a little jump shooting in there, but it's much easier to get the set shot fixed first. Once you've mastered the set shot, then begin to transition to your jump shot, with your new & improved release point in full use. Once you've improved your new shot to around 15', the free throw line is a good place to practice from there.

Last edited:

IDK, I don't think it's really that hard at all to learn to shoot properly. I like many 12 year olds shot that way and well, plus it gives you more range. Works great until you start getting it stuffed. In my case, our coach pretty much said you'll never play if you don't correct it. Took me maybe part of a summer to fix. Galloway should never have been allowed to carry that shot into Jr. HS, let alone HS and IU

Reactions: billyhillui
IDK, I don't think it's really that hard at all to learn to shoot properly. I like many 12 year olds shot that way and well, plus it gives you more range. Works great until you start getting it stuffed. In my case, our coach pretty much said you'll never play if you don't correct it. Took me maybe part of a summer to fix. Galloway should never have been allowed to carry that shot into Jr. HS, let alone HS and IU
The sooner/younger you correct the misaligned shot, the sooner you get it fixed & ready to compete, & prove your real worth as a basketball player. Putting it off, only makes for more problems, when you finally do change/fix it. The longer you wait to fix it, the longer it actually takes to fix it, when you do make the change. Bad habits are hard to break, especially the older/more use to the habits, you get.

Will Sheehey is the guy who really limited how good he could be with his release point/shot mechanics.

IU coaches really did him a disservice not changing that.

some idiosyncrasies don't really hurt your shot/total game, his did, and really limited how good he could have been.

Reactions: billyhillui

His coach, his father was an NAIA all-American at Bethel, graduating as their all-time leading scorer. Probably one of the best shooters to go through Bethel. I would imagine there has been a great deal of time poured into Trey's shot, but at the end of the day, each player has their own comfort level.

It can be that hard. If it wasn't, everyone could do it.

Didn't Galloway have a wrist injury in high school? My oldest son had that issue also and it took him a couple years to get his mechanics back.

His dad is one helluva coach and has done a great job teaching his son the game.

His coach, his father was an NAIA all-American at Bethel, graduating as their all-time leading scorer. Probably one of the best shooters to go through Bethel. I would imagine there has been a great deal of time poured into Trey's shot, but at the end of the day, each player has their own comfort level.

BS, he's just lazy and hasn't tried.... says some yahoo on a fan board, who probably can't run up and down the court once and never made a basket in a varsity game. Cracks me up.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Maybe just pin this post and delete the entire thread.

People are amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT