ADVERTISEMENT

Trendon Watford unofficial visit

How about 4 stars? Because most of them are 4 stars, despite your continued insistence otherwise.

In the early 2000's, the 4-stars stopped at around player #75 on the Rivals list. Nowadays 4-star goes well past 100 into around 120.

Could be inflation or it simply could be that more kids are being evaluated, and at an earlier age so that their progress is well documented.

Either way, the number of "stars" is definitely an indicator, but they certainly don't always get it right or get the player's potential IMPACT on a college career right.

Brian Butch was rated higher than Chris Paul coming out of high school. And that isn't to say that Butch wasn't a great recruit for Wisconsin. He helped them win a lot. But when Paul got to the tourney, he was a dominant force of a college player and a clear future superstar. Potential doesn't always equate to number of "stars".

(And for the record, I am not comparing Forrester to Chris Paul by any means. I'm just saying he may indeed be a very effective 4-year guy who puts up a lot of numbers by his 3rd year.)

On Trendon- I can't help but remember him as a lad trying to wipe away the tears as his big bro gave a heck of a moving senior night speech. Special connection with IU the Watfords have- and vice versa. Trendon would be immediately embraced by the fan base. That has got to give Indiana some momentum with him.

In the early 2000's, the 4-stars stopped at around player #75 on the Rivals list. Nowadays 4-star goes well past 100 into around 120.

Could be inflation or it simply could be that more kids are being evaluated, and at an earlier age so that their progress is well documented.

Either way, the number of "stars" is definitely an indicator, but they certainly don't always get it right or get the player's potential IMPACT on a college career right.

Brian Butch was rated higher than Chris Paul coming out of high school. And that isn't to say that Butch wasn't a great recruit for Wisconsin. He helped them win a lot. But when Paul got to the tourney, he was a dominant force of a college player and a clear future superstar. Potential doesn't always equate to number of "stars".

(And for the record, I am not comparing Forrester to Chris Paul by any means. I'm just saying he may indeed be a very effective 4-year guy who puts up a lot of numbers by his 3rd year.)
I totally agree with this. I was just responding to the guy that continues to misrepresent absolutely everything.

Reactions: T.M.P.
On Trendon- I can't help but remember him as a lad trying to wipe away the tears as his big bro gave a heck of a moving senior night speech. Special connection with IU the Watfords have- and vice versa. Trendon would be immediately embraced by the fan base. That has got to give Indiana some momentum with him.

His recruiting pages say Alabama, Miss. State, or IU. Interesting at where he's rated that there's no UK, Kansas, Duke, UL et al. I wonder if he's a kid that really wants to stay close to home, but will consider IU since he's so familiar with B-ton. Or....are there grade issues? Or is he not perceived as being on the level of Duke or UK? it really seems like its Alabama v. IU here.

PS,,,checked out his you tube high lights....looks like he can handle and shoot the ball, but not as explosive as Brooks. Think Christian with a better handle.

We won't have many spots open for 2019. Unless I have forgotten someone, I believe Morgan is the only spot that will come open. We could have a one and done or someone else leave early(Davis?, Langford/Garland?). I would love to have a legacy 5 star come regardless of position.

Reactions: h20pls
We are recruiting almost exclusively five stars and high four stars in the 2019 class- Wiseman, Brooks, Anthony, Watford, Hurt, Stewart, and TJD is a fast rising talent who could very well end up a five star.

It is good to see our staff going up against the big boys finally with a legitimate chance to compete with them for recruits.

We are recruiting almost exclusively five stars and high four stars in the 2019 class- Wiseman, Brooks, Anthony, Watford, Hurt, Stewart, and TJD is a fast rising talent who could very well end up a five star.

It is good to see our staff going up against the big boys finally with a legitimate chance to compete with them for recruits.

Finally? You know Crean got Burger Boys, right?

I ripped Crean more than anybody but the revisionist history, and pure hypocrisy, of you "real" fans is staggering.

Reactions: darkhawk returns
Finally? You know Crean got Burger Boys, right?

I ripped Crean more than anybody but the revisionist history, and pure hypocrisy, of you "real" fans is staggering.

He also recruited a bunch of projects who were never going to contribute. Archie hasn't recruited a Gelon, Priller, April, Jobe, Muniru, Jurkin, or Perea while forcing out a kid like Matt Roth.

Crean's creepiness also turned off elite instate prospects who otherwise would have gone to IU. Wilkes and Guy come to mind.

Reactions: earltheiufan
He was overrated, but based on potential he was an extremely high prospect. You can't teach length and athleticism. He just didn't have the mental aspect, and if you weren't excited about the potential based on athletic numbers there are reasons you aren't an "expert". You can list plenty of examples of Crean reaching for talent, but Hanner was almost a must get in his own backyard. Then again, it's so popular to pile on him with revisionist history....

Perea slid in the rankings once it became clear his potential hadn't turned into skill.

Perea was 4 star everyone was slobbering over.
Not true at all. Plenty people that actually saw him play had doubts including myself. We went to see him at a holiday tournament in Chicago and all four of us walked away with doubts. He had 3 highlight reel dunks, but got owned by a couple guys that actually had hands an footwork. Just not a basketball player.

The inside the hall interview was excellent, but the answer under this question (below) was almost dumbfounding. I don't really want to comment and rehash it all but the answer after this really speaks volumes about the inside view of things, and it was done tactfully and with class. Really it makes me hope Trendon does decide to come to IU.

"On how Christian feels about Indiana recruiting Trendon:"

Reactions: IUgradman
Not true at all. Plenty people that actually saw him play had doubts including myself. We went to see him at a holiday tournament in Chicago and all four of us walked away with doubts. He had 3 highlight reel dunks, but got owned by a couple guys that actually had hands an footwork. Just not a basketball player.
But, but, he could jump REALLY REALLY high....

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT