ADVERTISEMENT

Trending to a 2 league system

Cavanagh.13

Senior
Nov 6, 2019
I predict within 5 years the SEC and Big Ten will essentially be the east and the west in the NBA. Talks of UCLA and USC wanting in the big ten. Texas and Oklahoma will be in the SEC very soon.

Crazy time in college athletics. Gonna be fun to watch it unfold.

I predict within 5 years the SEC and Big Ten will essentially be the east and the west in the NBA. Talks of UCLA and USC wanting in the big ten. Texas and Oklahoma will be in the SEC very soon.

Posted this yesterday and got poo-pooed. Didn't know USC or UCLA wanted in.

"I believe we can think bigger and out of the box a bit. PAC 12 teams could be in play for B1G. USC. Oregon, UCLA, etc. If Texas and Ok join SEC many others may want to revisit conferences. This could really shake things up. Don't think table scraps think B1G. Massive grin! Go Hoosiers!"

Got a good source on the USC UCLA thing?

!"

Got a good source on the USC UCLA thing?

Nope, just what’s on the internet, but makes total sense to have real legs. Every athletic department in the country has been turned upside down.

I had been in communication with IU compliance, and was always able to have a very quick response and phone call. When the UNC announcement came out I called, emailed, left messages. Radio silence. Maybe everyone is on vacation? Maybe they are scrambling trying to put together this announcement for IU.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Nope, just what’s on the internet, but makes total sense to have real legs.
Sounds about as credible as QAnon. "...makes total sense"?! UCLA & USC are not jumping to the BIG - far more likely the PAC-12 attempts its own expansion.

As for TX/OK to the SEC, A&M would resist adding TX. If those schools want out of the B12, they might/should also consider the B10, in fact I'd wager contact/discussions have already taken place.

Sounds about as credible as QAnon. "...makes total sense"?! UCLA & USC are not jumping to the BIG - far more likely the PAC-12 attempts its own expansion.

As for TX/OK to the SEC, A&M would resist adding TX. If those schools want out of the B12, they might/should also consider the B10, in fact I'd wager contact/discussions have already taken place.
That will make Nebraska fans happy. I think they miss their old Texas buddies.

KU wants in the big ten.
My understanding is they have for a while but the B1G didn't reach out. I have family well connected to KU in Kansas City as my source. I like KU as a member. It's the state flagship. I also like Rutgers and Maryland in the the B1G for the same reason (some here don't, which I never understood). Going to be fun. I'm glad we are in the B1G and not wondering about our next home. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
My understanding is they have for a while but the B1G didn't reach out. I have family well connected to KU in Kansas City as my source. I like KU as a member. It's the state flagship. I also like Rutgers and Maryland in the the B1G for the same reason (some here don't, which I never understood). Going to be fun. I'm glad we are in the B1G and not wondering about our next home. Go Hoosiers!
Per sports Radio, KU and BIG meeting tomorrow.

Not sure what KU would bring to the BIG. A definite patsy in football, strong basketball obviously. Won't do much for BIG network ratings, so seemingly it just dilutes the per existing team revenue stream. USC and UCLA presents a totally different revenue profile. Hugely advantageous from a potential revenue probability. Plus, strong multi-sport schools with great academics. Existing University Presidents would easily approve the addition of SC and UCLA.

Not sure what KU would bring to the BIG. A definite patsy in football, strong basketball obviously. Won't do much for BIG network ratings, so seemingly it just dilutes the per existing team revenue stream. USC and UCLA presents a totally different revenue profile. Hugely advantageous from a potential revenue probability. Plus, strong multi-sport schools with great academics. Existing University Presidents would easily approve the addition of SC and UCLA.

is the west coast moving to eastern or central time?

no idea how i missed that.

if we're going full crazyville on this, how bout expanding into Europe.

brings a whole new tv market, and opens up Euro recruiting possibilities.

Just not the ones at USC and UCLA which renders it a moot/inane point.

Per sports Radio, KU and BIG meeting tomorrow.
If there's one there are two. Who's the other?

TX & OK are the only 'robust" candidates in terms of significanty boosting market size and prestige. Either would also help compensate for KU's dismal gridiron program and boost the B10 West. Or they could maybe seduce all three and bring in ISU as well. NW & pU shift to the the East and the newcomers all land in the West. Or not.

TX & OK are the only 'robust" candidates in terms of significanty boosting market size and prestige. Either would also help compensate for KU's dismal gridiron program and boost the B10 West. Or they could maybe seduce all three and bring in ISU as well. NW & pU shift to the the East and the newcomers all land in the West. Or not.
Also per sports radio, TX and OK have been in negotiations with the SEC for more than 6 months, and that is a done deal.

is the west coast moving to eastern or central time?

no idea how i missed that.

if we're going full crazyville on this, how bout expanding into Europe.

brings a whole new tv market, and opens up Euro recruiting possibilities.
I'll take any of our football teams against any of their football teams any day. 🍏🍎

only reason to take KU would be political cover in the destruction of the B12, and not sure how much of that they'd provide if KSU was left home.

if UT and OU go SEC, then the B12 is gone anyway as a major competitor for football tv rights, so the only reason to take KU is to grease the skids politically for UT and OU to go to the SEC, which is a totally insane reason take them.

Reactions: Rakai

And despite the clear revenue increase advantages to SC and UCLA joining the BIG, you "know" the USC and UCLA presidents would say no?

Reactions: johnboiler123
R64Je3F.gif

Reactions: mcmurtry66
only reason to take KU would be political cover in the destruction of the B12, and not sure how much of that they'd provide if KSU was left home.

if UT and OU go SEC, then the B12 is gone anyway as a major competitor for football tv rights, so the only reason to take KU is to grease the skids politically for UT and OU to go to the SEC, which is a totally insane reason take them.
I think some movement in other conferences could happen..cough(ACC). Seems SEC is strong team/heritage driven as B1G looks at markets more. Could be wrong.

Also per sports radio, TX and OK have been in negotiations with the SEC for more than 6 months, and that is a done deal.
Question remains - who comes in with KU? Don't see the BIG bringing in just one Team. If TZ, OU and KU all defect, seems like the seven remaining B12 Schools are going to be looking for safe haven. So maybe OSU?

And despite the clear revenue increase advantages to SC and UCLA joining the BIG, you "know" the USC and UCLA presidents would say no?
"Clear"? You sure about that? In any case, what was is increasingly less indicative of what will be, and particularly in the realms of commerce. UCLA/USC are pretty fat and happy with their place/status in the Pac-10/West Coast scene, and am guessing they're far more interested in innovating and building their own behemoth than joining an existing one.

tail wags dog.

this is all about taking out the B12 as a conference, and nothing else, and blowing up everything else to do so..

the high speed trader culture has taken over college sports, and is ruing it in the process.

leadership is so abysmal it's beyond belief.

no current SEC school benefits from adding OU and UT, and B10 schools would lose even more than SEC schools, if the B10 took a lesser B12 school.

Question remains - who comes in with KU? Don't see the BIG bringing in just one Team. If TZ, OU and KU all defect, seems like the seven remaining B12 Schools are going to be looking for safe haven. So maybe OSU?

"Clear"? You sure about that? In any case, what was is increasingly less indicative of what will be, and particularly in the realms of commerce. UCLA/USC are pretty fat and happy with their place/status in the Pac-10/West Coast scene, and am guessing they're far more interested in innovating and building their own behemoth than joining an existing one.

I've seen some speculation that KU could come in alone, and the BT could move to a pod system involving 3 pods of 5 teams each in football. Maybe something like: RU/MD/OSU/PSU/MSU; MICH/IU/PUR/ILL/MN; KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

That would be good for us in a sense, by getting rid of the E/W divisions

Then wait 15 years and add ND or Missouri or...........

I've seen some speculation that KU could come in alone, and the BT could move to a pod system involving 3 pods of 5 teams each in football. Maybe something like: RU/MD/OSU/PSU/MSU; MICH/IU/PUR/ILL/MN; KU/NEB/IOWA/NW/WIS

to what end?

other than a final kill shot to the head of the B12, KU brings nothing, nor does any other B12 property.

Houston would make more sense.

adding ND wouldn't take past 2025 i wouldn't think, and they are the only team that could add any value for current B10 schools, other than schools who's only value would be in killing the B12 and ACC.

And the B10 football championship game turns into what? Top two or even four Teams? Don't think so but have no idea to be sure.

I've laid this out in detail on the football board thread for anyone interested, including what the pods and schedules might look like. I like it for the reasons I set forth there.

I've laid this out in detail on the football board thread for anyone interested, including what the pods and schedules might look like. I like it for the reasons I set forth there.

how is that better than our current set up?

and how is our current set up better than when the B10 had 10 schools.

KU nor any other school brings anything, other than in killing off it's old conference, which is all the dangerous activist hedge fund manager mentality people with power care about.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Gets the KC market for the Big Ten.

how is that better than our current set up?

and how is our current set up better than when the B10 had 10 schools.

KU nor any other school brings anything, other than in killing off it's old conference, which is all the dangerous activist hedge fund mentality people with power care about.

The Big 12 is dead with TX and OU leaving.

The Big 10 will go to 16 at some point.

Kansas is the best choice for #15. It looks like a BT school. The geography is there. It's really a smaller version of IU culturally.

I'd rather go to #15 with KU and admit we've lost the realignment war then try to arrange some type of marriage with USC, UCLA & Washington.

So, in that sense, it would be a 'conservative' move.

ISU, TT, OK State & TCU can go to the PAC 12 and stabilize that conference at 14 members.

WV and ND can go to the ACC. And things would basically be done for 15 years.

The rest of college football should refuse to expand the playoffs to screw the SEC.

KU brings zero value. Football isn't close to a P5 program. Basketball program is one of the biggest cheaters today. B1G is better than that. They need schools that will bring tv sets. Raiding 2 from the PAC12 is the best way to increase value. Oregon and one of the California schools. If Maryland and Penn St want to move to the ACC then add 4 from the PAC12. Washington and another California school - Stanford, UCLA or USC. ND should also be approached.

If this all true I would guess it would be Oklahoma State. Not sure what their academics are like but solid in sports.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Really hope the big ten doesn’t panic and do something stupid like take a leftover b12 school. Would be beyond stupid. We need to poach some powerhouses from acc or pac.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
If this all true I would guess it would be Oklahoma State. Not sure what their academics are like but solid in sports.
What about Baylor? They would typically be in the top half of the B1G for football, are based in TX and their basketball team just won the national title. Not to mention they have some good women's sports too.

Reactions: TominDallas

Prediction…

Barty pulls the Pinocchio strings and adds Kansas to the Big Ten West. And lands Clemson, and puts them in the Big Ten East.

And Purdue fans continue to claim the two divisions are equal. And in the same thread they’ll predict they’re gonna win 8 games because Minny, Nebraska, and Illinois are terrible and NW and Iowa are overrated.

What about Baylor? They would typically be in the top half of the B1G for football, are based in TX and their basketball team just won the national title. Not to mention they have some good women's sports too.
Good one. Close to me in Dallas. I can see IU play sometimes.

Basketball program is one of the biggest cheaters today. B1G is better than that.

It’s a new game now.

Maybe IU can ask Kansas how we can succeed at buying some wins?

No sense being on a high horse now regarding Kansas because they are one of the biggest cheaters. We WANT to be the biggest “cheater” (understanding that there are no longer any rules) now.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
ADVERTISEMENT