ADVERTISEMENT

Traveling? Ill vs Mizzou question.

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
At 1:42 mark (12:05 on game-clock) of first half MO Player puts up a really weak shot on a drive and ends up catching it himself and laying it back up. Wasn't blocked, drew no iron and ball never hit anyone or anything. My understanding is that one cannot pass the ball to oneself. Appears this is a rare exception because he secures the rebound in the air and his feet don't touch the ground until after he releases the putback. Is that right?

The officials were shaky at best in this game.
Made some terrible calls. Both way's ..
And that group does Big Ten games all conference long.

It appears to be a travel. Same thing happened the other day in a high school game I was watching and no call was made.

On a side note - the player from Missouri is Dru Smith who played his high school ball at Evansville Reitz. He originally played at Evansville before transferring to Mizzou. He is having a nice career.

At 1:42 mark (12:05 on game-clock) of first half MO Player puts up a really weak shot on a drive and ends up catching it himself and laying it back up. Wasn't blocked, drew no iron and ball never hit anyone or anything. My understanding is that one cannot pass the ball to oneself. Appears this is a rare exception because he secures the rebound in the air and his feet don't touch the ground until after he releases the putback. Is that right?

You don’t know the rules. They changed that rule. If it’s determined it’s a shot he can. He can’t do it if it’s ruled a pass.

You don’t know the rules. They changed that rule. If it’s determined it’s a shot he can. He can’t do it if it’s ruled a pass.

That sounds plausible but hardly definitive. When did this happen and which rule was changed or was a new one introduced? Should be language specific to any such rule change unless this is an 'interpretive' change like the one that seems to have occurred to allow an extra step for 'gathering' the ball while driving, i.e., Euro-stepping.

i question that.. please provide link.

i'm guessing the ref thought the defender touched the ball after it left the shooter's hands, in which case not traveling.

hard to definitively tell from the video if the defender touched it or not.

that said, there is an uncalled travel on almost every possession these days, and often multiple uncalled travels per possession.

and often by the same player on a single play.

the player takes a couple steps on the catch before dribbling, (travel), and travels again on the drive or pass coming off the dribble.

when ESPN fell in love with the dunk, the rule makers dumbed down ball handling rules so the better dunkers, who usually aren't the best ball handlers, could do their thing without being called for travel.

then the refs relaxed enforcement of the already relaxed traveling rules.

then the charge/foul circle under the basket, (worst rule in sports), took the worship of the dunk to another level.

Last edited:
i question that.. please provide link.

i'm guessing the ref thought the defender touched the ball after it left the shooter's hands, in which case not traveling.

hard to definitively tell from the video if the defender touched it or not.

that said, there is an uncalled travel on almost every possession these days, and often multiple uncalled travels per possession.

and often by the same player on a single play.

the player takes a couple steps on the catch before dribbling, (travel), and travels again on the drive or pass coming off the dribble.

when ESPN fell in love with the dunk, the rule makers dumbed down ball handling rules so the better dunkers, who usually aren't the best ball handlers, could do their thing without being called for travel.

then the refs relaxed enforcement of the already relaxed traveling rules.

then the charge/foul circle under the basket, (worst rule in sports), took the worship of the dunk to another level.
There are not as many travels as you think. You just do not know the game of basketball as well as you think.

If the referee determines the act of a shot, one can catch his or her own shot.

Below is a link to the officiall NCAA rule book. Article 5 covers traveling. Nowhere is thisnact stated as a travel

There are not as many travels as you think. You just do not know the game of basketball as well as you think.

If the referee determines the act of a shot, one can catch his or her own shot.

Below is a link to the officiall NCAA rule book. Article 5 covers traveling. Nowhere is thisnact stated as a travel

One thing that we have all learned and I experienced in six seasons of HS AAU coaching is that like our Constitution...basketball rules are open to interpretation.

The case in point here nothing speaks directly to the shot vs pass but two things I will submit for further discussion:

1. If the ref has the discretion to make a judgement call for pass vs shot and a shot even untouched by a defender can be caught by the shooter.

2. If the ref believed the shot was tipped by a defender then the catch falls within the rules.

3. One could logically argue that an untipped pass or shot caught by the shooter is by definition advancing the ball with out dribbling.

4. One could logically argue that when the offensive player releases the ball and moves forward, the established pivot foot is moved thus creating a travel when the untipped ball is caught. And this is regardless of how the pivot foot was fist established...by first foot down prior to releasing the ball or first foot moved if the shooter came to shooting position via a jump stop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT