ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Summary

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
From ESPN's rankings, transfers of note related to the BT (+UL); lots of familiar names

Sit-out transfers eligible this Fall:

#2 Joey Hauser 6'9" Marquette to MSU
#11 Eugene Omoruyl 6'7" Rutgers to Oregon
#13 Justice Sueing 6'7" CAL to Ohio St.
#17 Thomas Allen 6'1" Nebraska to NC State
#34 Dalano Banton 6'8" WKU to Nebraska
#36 Chase Audige 6'4" Bill & Mary to Northwestern

Grad Transfers eligible this Fall:

#1 Carlick Jones 6'1" Radford to UL
#2 Matt Haarms 7'2" Purdue to ?
#3 Seth Towns 6'7" Harvard to Ohio St.
#10 Mike Smith 5'10" Columbia to Michigan
#13 Brandon Johnson 6'8" W. Michigan to Minnesota
#16 Charles Minlend 6'3" SF to UL
#26 Kobe Webster 6'0" W. Illinois to Nebraska
#35 Payton Willis 6'4" Minnesota to ?
#39 Dachon Burke 6'4" Nebraska to S. Alabama

Transfers Eligible 2021-22:

#2 DJ Carlton 6'3" OSU to ?
#3 Liam Robbins 7'0" Drake to Minnesota
#4 Alan Griffin 6'4" Illinois to Syracuse
#7 Trey McGowens 6'3" Pitt to Nebraska
#8 Kobe King 6'4" Wisconsin to Nebraska
#9 Luther Mohamaad 6'3" OSU to ?
#15 David DeJulius 6'0" UM to ?
#16 Jairus Hamilton 6'8" BC to Minneosta
#17 Sam Sessions 6'0" Binghamton to PSU
#19 Alonzo Gaffney 6'9 OSU to ?
#20 Cam Mack 6'3" Nebraska to ?
#25 Malehi Mitchell 6'10" MD to Rhode Island
#38 Colin Castleton 6'11" Michigan to ?
#42 Jimmy Satos 6'3" Bucknell to OSU (I thought this kid was eligible '20, but they have him here)

Reactions: MrBing and minneman
Is it a good or bad thing IU is one of the only schools that’s no where on any of these lists?

Having a solid roster with low turnover via transfer is a good thing in many ways. Obviously continuity. But it shows that people enjoy being in Bloomington with Archie.

Might show that his program is “easy” and not demanding enough to run soft kids off? Kinda doubt that, but it’s possible.

In the end, probably just a timing thing. We happen to have a bunch of kids that like being in the IU program. Interesting no matter what.

Nebraska seems to have a lot of transfers while replacing them with similar players. ??????

Fred is a jedi master at the transfer game. has been for a while. Not sure it depicts a stable program long term.
He looked at his roster and decisively made moves to improve his program. It’s a huge step toward stability and reflects his ability as a coach.

He looked at his roster and decisively made moves to improve his program. It’s a huge step toward stability and reflects his ability as a coach.
They won 7 games all season and lost their final 17. Improvement shouldn't be difficult. Nowhere to go but up.

I'll give Fred credit for standing his ground with Cam Mack. Stats or not, sounds like Mack was not keen on team rules. Too many coaches look the other way when the problem child happens to be one of the stars on the team.

They won 7 games all season and lost their final 17. Improvement shouldn't be difficult. Nowhere to go but up.

I'll give Fred credit for standing his ground with Cam Mack. Stats or not, sounds like Mack was not keen on team rules. Too many coaches look the other way when the problem child happens to be one of the stars on the team.
Fred knows about establishing a winning culture and it’s clear he’s not going to stand still and hope the existing players magically turn into better or more team oriented players. Guys who are all-in and can play get to stay. Those who aren’t or can’t are directly told it would be in their best interest to move along. Every good coach does it.

Fred knows about establishing a winning culture and it’s clear he’s not going to stand still and hope the existing players magically turn into better or more team oriented players. Guys who are all-in and can play get to stay. Those who aren’t or can’t are directly told it would be in their best interest to move along. Every good coach does it.
If you compare Fred's NCAA coaching record to this point, both overall and season-by-season, regular and post season results included, you'll find that the results are surprisingly similar to another young head coach mentioned here quite often....and pretty sure you would not categorize that coach as 'good'. And I'm being kind to Fred and throwing out this year's Nebraska season.

Reactions: mattn7

Fred is a very good coach. I don’t like the “mercenary” approach he took at ISU, as a long term plan. But he did turn around what had been a mediocre program pretty quickly.

In both his college coaching stints, he had really bad first years, and went the transfer route to overhaul his roster quickly. It worked well at ISU...we’ll see if it works at Nebraska. The current Big Ten Landscape isn’t the same as what he faced in the Big 12. There will be 10 legitimate NCAA tournament contending teams he’ll have to jump, maybe 11 or 12. The Big 12 wasn’t “weak”, but there was certainly more opportunity for easier wins against the bottom 5-6 teams. Outside of NW, every single one of his 20 conference games will be tough for them to win. It’s going to be tough for him to replicate his success at ISU, at Nebraska, as quickly as he did at ISU.

Our coach takes a different approach. It took him a couple more years at Dayton, than it took Hoiberg at ISU. But his 4-6 years were as successful or more than Hoibergs were at ISU. Fred had his team turned around in year 2, and really turned on in year 3. Archie somewhat this year, year 3, we’ll see what happens in year 4.

I personally wouldn’t like filling and refilling our roster with transfers every year. Maybe he wouldn’t have to at IU? But I’d have been fine if IU had hired Hoiberg instead of Archie. Not sure we’d be in all that much better spot than we are today? As I mentioned, today’s a Big10 is not nearly as opportunistic or forgiving as the Big 12 was in 10-15.

Reactions: MrBing
If you compare Fred's NCAA coaching record to this point, both overall and season-by-season, regular and post season results included, you'll find that the results are surprisingly similar to another young head coach mentioned here quite often....and pretty sure you would not categorize that coach as 'good'. And I'm being kind to Fred and throwing out this year's Nebraska season.
Except Fred’s coaching has all been done at the P5 level against top flight competition, which really sets him apart. After a tough first year at ISU, he had four straight seasons of winning teams in the B12, finishing 3rd, 4th, 3rd and 2nd, and going 46-26. He took early action and it changed the culture and produced winning in the conference. After one year.

Fred is a very good coach. I don’t like the “mercenary” approach he took at ISU, as a long term plan. But he did turn around what had been a mediocre program pretty quickly.

In both his college coaching stints, he had really bad first years, and went the transfer route to overhaul his roster quickly. It worked well at ISU...we’ll see if it works at Nebraska. The current Big Ten Landscape isn’t the same as what he faced in the Big 12. There will be 10 legitimate NCAA tournament contending teams he’ll have to jump, maybe 11 or 12. The Big 12 wasn’t “weak”, but there was certainly more opportunity for easier wins against the bottom 5-6 teams. Outside of NW, every single one of his 20 conference games will be tough for them to win. It’s going to be tough for him to replicate his success at ISU, at Nebraska, as quickly as he did at ISU.

Our coach takes a different approach. It took him a couple more years at Dayton, than it took Hoiberg at ISU. But his 4-6 years were as successful or more than Hoibergs were at ISU. Fred had his team turned around in year 2, and really turned on in year 3. Archie somewhat this year, year 3, we’ll see what happens in year 4.

I personally wouldn’t like filling and refilling our roster with transfers every year. Maybe he wouldn’t have to at IU? But I’d have been fine if IU had hired Hoiberg instead of Archie. Not sure we’d be in all that much better spot than we are today? As I mentioned, today’s a Big10 is not nearly as opportunistic or forgiving as the Big 12 was in 10-15.
The difference, of course, is that Fred has gotten it done at a P5 school. Quickly.

Except Fred’s coaching has all been done at the P5 level against top flight competition, which really sets him apart. After a tough first year at ISU, he had four straight seasons of winning teams in the B12, finishing 3rd, 4th, 3rd and 2nd, and going 46-26. He took early action and it changed the culture and produced winning in the conference. After one year.

I'm still in a bit of a "wait and see" position with CAM, but you do realize the due to the APR position CTC left the program in, there was no way CAM could overhaul the roster. He had to build it within the confines of the APR and that meant keeping everyone he possibly could.

Reactions: kkott
I'm still in a bit of a "wait and see" position with CAM, but you do realize the due to the APR position CTC left the program in, there was no way CAM could overhaul the roster. He had to build it within the confines of the APR and that meant keeping everyone he possibly could.
I’ve heard that but have never seen it proven. And what would it have mattered? Scholarships weren’t always filled, and there was never a worry about making the tournament, so neither of those are valid excuses. What would’ve happened is that cultural issues would’ve been sorted earlier, though not all of them would’ve been.

Reactions: birdforbogey
The difference, of course, is that Fred has gotten it done at a P5 school. Quickly.

IMHO Fred made a mistake leaving ISU and going to the Bulls, although it paid off well for his retirement fund. His last 2 yrs in Chicago were miserable. If he had stayed at his alma mater, I think he would have ISU as a perennial national power and challenge Self and Kansas for top dibs in their conf each year. I think he has a tougher hill to climb at Nebraska. They have awesome new facilities but no real basketball legacy and play in a conf that is loaded year after year. I actually like him as a coach and am sure this year was extremely difficult. They didn't win a game after Jan 7.

IMHO Fred made a mistake leaving ISU and going to the Bulls, although it paid off well for his retirement fund. His last 2 yrs in Chicago were miserable. If he had stayed at his alma mater, I think he would have ISU as a perennial national power and challenge Self and Kansas for top dibs in their conf each year. I think he has a tougher hill to climb at Nebraska. They have awesome new facilities but no real basketball legacy and play in a conf that is loaded year after year. I actually like him as a coach and am sure this year was extremely difficult. They didn't win a game after Jan 7.
Agree. The Bulls front office was a looming disaster (they just cleaned it out a couple of days ago) and he was too smart to walk into it. He’s also had some health issues that will be with him forever, and one would’ve thought he might pass on the money in favor of a somewhat less demanding gig. He made $25m in Chicago though, so he probably just bought his great grandkids their college educations.

I view it as relative. Easier to get P5 level recruits/transfers to ISU than Dayton. Archie had the Dayton program at P5 levels competitiveness wise by the end of his tenure there.

And the depth of competitiveness in the respective conferences has to be factored in as well.

And, to each their own I guess on how a coach gets their results. I actually don’t enjoy 1 year transfers...at all really. Would much rather Archies overall approach and philosophies. Obviously would like that with more wins than he’s gotten to thus point though.

I’m not sure Fred would need to use transfers at IU though. His NBA connections would probably allow him to recruit very well at IU.

I’ve heard that but have never seen it proven. And what would it have mattered? Scholarships weren’t always filled, and there was never a worry about making the tournament, so neither of those are valid excuses. What would’ve happened is that cultural issues would’ve been sorted earlier, though not all of them would’ve been.

Well here's the link, https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch read it if you want. CAM was stuck with a 943 APR and a 930 starts to cost you scholarships. Had he cut loose more than Gelon, we would have then been in deep trouble. BTW, other than last year when we had 2 open (to be fare, I wanted a grad transfer), there's only been 1 other open scholarship in CAM's time. I would happily trade that if it means class balance and getting us truly set up for the future.

Fred Hoiberg would kill it at Indiana. He’s really the kind of guy we needed. But, Archie is showing some signs of life recently.

Well here's the link, https://web3.ncaa.org/aprsearch/aprsearch read it if you want. CAM was stuck with a 943 APR and a 930 starts to cost you scholarships. Had he cut loose more than Gelon, we would have then been in deep trouble. BTW, other than last year when we had 2 open (to be fare, I wanted a grad transfer), there's only been 1 other open scholarship in CAM's time. I would happily trade that if it means class balance and getting us truly set up for the future.
No easy answers but keeping kids who have their own agenda has been a setback for him. Assume he would do it differently if he could.

Last edited:
Fred took in Royce White.

A hell of a player but had a long rap sheet in high school then when he got on campus at Minnesota ended up stealing from the mall of America and assaulting a cop (which got him suspended) and then he later was in the middle of I believe dormatory theft which got him expelled in the second semester (Minnesota is a quarter system so technically it was the third quarter).

He's admitted that he has severe mental health issues (one he is terrified of flying).

But he's a five star and he'll win you games.

No thanks.

One thing you can't rip on Archie yet is the character of our players.

That's as much of a program culture as anything.

Once again he's bringing in three, maybe four outstanding high character kids all at the top of their classes. Duncome also turned down an offer to Stanford.

How has our police blotter been since Crean left?

I do not know Royce White.
Is this absence of knowing the difference between right and wrong some type of chemical birth defect? Environmental?
How do you fail to recognize that at a minimum you will have a college degree and a job and perhaps pros and or coaching

Can you give more info? Was no one going to class? Just dumb guys?

I do not know Royce White.
Is this absence of knowing the difference between right and wrong some type of chemical birth defect? Environmental?
How do you fail to recognize that at a minimum you will have a college degree and a job and perhaps pros and or coaching

Royce White is a basketball stud. Tubby worked his ass off keeping him in state but he had a reputation.

After getting on campus and the Mall of America incident Tubby had to suspend him. Then after the dormatory incident the university expelled him and he went into the longing arms for Fred.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many, many coaches has had great success taking in talented but troubled kids from Tarkanien to Sampson to Frieder to Fred.

If you watch the fab five 30 for 30, part of their hatred of Duke and Indiana was that we typically did not recruit troubled kids and Rose resented that, but the fab five didn't really bust that myth now did they (Jimmy King had I think car theft issues and of course we know what happened to the program after it came out that they took money).

Coaches have a choice. As a teen I thought Knight was dumb for not recruiting Shawn Kemp. I mean Jesus, his talent was undeniable but...problems followed him to Kentucky to where he was kicked off the team and then later that class was the one that nearly killed the program.

Coach K said a long time ago that the secret to his success was recruiting. In that he recruited the most talented, high character kids VS just the most talented.

Maybe it takes a little longer as we didn't bring in a JaMarcus Ellis, Deondre Thomas or recruit an Eli Holman but...I don't think anyone can question the character of the kids that are being recruited so far.

We have more potential academic all Americans than we've had in a while.

Devonte Green has probably been the loosest cannon.

AL, Justin, Clifton Moore and Brunk have been model representatives. Hell Smith is an academic all American going through Kelley.

Everyone things Damezi is going to leave but now it seems like we won't have any transfers.

I think that speaks very favorably to the culture that is being established.

Can you give more info? Was no one going to class? Just dumb guys?
CTC's issue, as it pertained to APR, was the constant turnover in the roster. I don't know about the grades, but the turnover was huge..which impacted the APR.

Reactions: kkott
Royce White is a basketball stud. Tubby worked his ass off keeping him in state but he had a reputation.

After getting on campus and the Mall of America incident Tubby had to suspend him. Then after the dormatory incident the university expelled him and he went into the longing arms for Fred.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many, many coaches has had great success taking in talented but troubled kids from Tarkanien to Sampson to Frieder to Fred.

If you watch the fab five 30 for 30, part of their hatred of Duke and Indiana was that we typically did not recruit troubled kids and Rose resented that, but the fab five didn't really bust that myth now did they (Jimmy King had I think car theft issues and of course we know what happened to the program after it came out that they took money).

Coaches have a choice. As a teen I thought Knight was dumb for not recruiting Shawn Kemp. I mean Jesus, his talent was undeniable but...problems followed him to Kentucky to where he was kicked off the team and then later that class was the one that nearly killed the program.

Coach K said a long time ago that the secret to his success was recruiting. In that he recruited the most talented, high character kids VS just the most talented.

Maybe it takes a little longer as we didn't bring in a JaMarcus Ellis, Deondre Thomas or recruit an Eli Holman but...I don't think anyone can question the character of the kids that are being recruited so far.

We have more potential academic all Americans than we've had in a while.

Devonte Green has probably been the loosest cannon.

AL, Justin, Clifton Moore and Brunk have been model representatives. Hell Smith is an academic all American going through Kelley.

Everyone things Damezi is going to leave but now it seems like we won't have any transfers.

I think that speaks very favorably to the culture that is being established.

good to hear Clifton Moore is still representing us well!

Fred took in Royce White.

A hell of a player but had a long rap sheet in high school then when he got on campus at Minnesota ended up stealing from the mall of America and assaulting a cop (which got him suspended) and then he later was in the middle of I believe dormatory theft which got him expelled in the second semester (Minnesota is a quarter system so technically it was the third quarter).

He's admitted that he has severe mental health issues (one he is terrified of flying).

But he's a five star and he'll win you games.

No thanks.

One thing you can't rip on Archie yet is the character of our players.

That's as much of a program culture as anything.

Once again he's bringing in three, maybe four outstanding high character kids all at the top of their classes. Duncome also turned down an offer to Stanford.

How has our police blotter been since Crean left?
re: police blotter (btw, love that phrasing)....yeah the last 3-4 yrs of CTC's tenure were starting to get embarrassing. Hell a kid almost got killed. And after all the sympathy shown towards the kid (Davis), and his road to recovery, he ends up smoking his way off the team. Too many incidents in a short span, with constant turnover of the roster. Sure sign that the program was slowly coming apart at the seams for CTC after the 2013 class left. Looking back on it now, Luke Fischer's departure was very telling. Most of us just didn't know yet what it meant.

re: police blotter (btw, love that phrasing)....yeah the last 3-4 yrs of CTC's tenure were starting to get embarrassing. Hell a kid almost got killed. And after all the sympathy shown towards the kid (Davis), and his road to recovery, he ends up smoking his way off the team. Too many incidents in a short span, with constant turnover of the roster. Sure sign that the program was slowly coming apart at the seams for CTC after the 2013 class left. Looking back on it now, Luke Fischer's departure was very telling. Most of us just didn't know yet what it meant.

Sure we did. It meant Lukey was homesick for Mommy, right? At least that's the sentiment I remember.

CTC's issue, as it pertained to APR, was the constant turnover in the roster. I don't know about the grades, but the turnover was huge..which impacted the APR.
Ty. I don’t really understand quite how turnover should be included. Maybe the player isn’t going to show up for any of his classes, knows he is going to flunk the course, at Cetera, but does not care because he knows he is transferring to a different program anyway.

You do realize that Birnk is here for one reason and one reason only, he's here to stir CRAP.

DeAndre Williams of Evansville made an unexpected entry into the portal today.

He’ll have 2 years of eligibility and was the best player on UE’s (awful, other than the UK win) squad this past season. He missed most of the latter part of the season with a back injury. But he was pretty solid before he got hurt.

DeAndre Williams of Evansville made an unexpected entry into the portal today.

He’ll have 2 years of eligibility and was the best player on UE’s (awful, other than the UK win) squad this past season. He missed most of the latter part of the season with a back injury. But he was pretty solid before he got hurt.
If Lander does in fact qualify for next fall, are we full on scholarships for next season?

If a coach does not have any scholarships left, but then finds a player he would like to add, does he go up to one of the scholarship players and say I’m not gonna play you and try and force the player to transfer?
Does he have the right to just call a scholarship? Is it possible to give some type of non-athletic scholarship to the new player? How does this work?

If a coach does not have any scholarships left, but then finds a player he would like to add, does he go up to one of the scholarship players and say I’m not gonna play you and try and force the player to transfer?
Does he have the right to just call a scholarship? Is it possible to give some type of non-athletic scholarship to the new player? How does this work?
you do know there is a word for this? If not, I'll give you a clue.....it rhymes with "cleaning".

Reactions: IULouie
PG Jeremiah Francis transferring out of UNC. Was once an IU target and believe a HS teammate of Jerome Hunter's @ Pickerington. Was once a highly rated recruit but fell in the rankings after committing very early and suffering some injuries. Would have to sit a year unless NCAA approves a one time waiver, would have 3 years of eligibility remaining.

In a scholarship crunch currently but could be a solid replacement once Phinisee graduates and/or Lander bolts early.

PG Jeremiah Francis transferring out of UNC. Was once an IU target and believe a HS teammate of Jerome Hunter's @ Pickerington. Was once a highly rated recruit but fell in the rankings after committing very early and suffering some injuries. Would have to sit a year unless NCAA approves a one time waiver, would have 3 years of eligibility remaining.

In a scholarship crunch currently but could be a solid replacement once Phinisee graduates and/or Lander bolts early.
Bet OSU goes after him.

From ESPN's rankings, transfers of note related to the BT (+UL); lots of familiar names

Sit-out transfers eligible this Fall:

#2 Joey Hauser 6'9" Marquette to MSU
#11 Eugene Omoruyl 6'7" Rutgers to Oregon
#13 Justice Sueing 6'7" CAL to Ohio St.
#17 Thomas Allen 6'1" Nebraska to NC State
#34 Dalano Banton 6'8" WKU to Nebraska
#36 Chase Audige 6'4" Bill & Mary to Northwestern

Grad Transfers eligible this Fall:

#1 Carlick Jones 6'1" Radford to UL
#2 Matt Haarms 7'2" Purdue to ?
#3 Seth Towns 6'7" Harvard to Ohio St.
#10 Mike Smith 5'10" Columbia to Michigan
#13 Brandon Johnson 6'8" W. Michigan to Minnesota
#16 Charles Minlend 6'3" SF to UL
#26 Kobe Webster 6'0" W. Illinois to Nebraska
#35 Payton Willis 6'4" Minnesota to ?
#39 Dachon Burke 6'4" Nebraska to S. Alabama

Transfers Eligible 2021-22:

#2 DJ Carlton 6'3" OSU to ?
#3 Liam Robbins 7'0" Drake to Minnesota
#4 Alan Griffin 6'4" Illinois to Syracuse
#7 Trey McGowens 6'3" Pitt to Nebraska
#8 Kobe King 6'4" Wisconsin to Nebraska
#9 Luther Mohamaad 6'3" OSU to ?
#15 David DeJulius 6'0" UM to ?
#16 Jairus Hamilton 6'8" BC to Minneosta
#17 Sam Sessions 6'0" Binghamton to PSU
#19 Alonzo Gaffney 6'9 OSU to ?
#20 Cam Mack 6'3" Nebraska to ?
#25 Malehi Mitchell 6'10" MD to Rhode Island
#38 Colin Castleton 6'11" Michigan to ?
#42 Jimmy Satos 6'3" Bucknell to OSU (I thought this kid was eligible '20, but they have him here)

3 more transfers to BT teams:

1. 6'6" 175 lbs Austin Hutcherson from Wesleyan (Div III) to Illinois....presumably has toisit a year
2. 6'3" 200 lbs Abel Porter from Utah St. to OSU...grad transfer
3. 6'8" 180 lbs Drew Peterson from Rice to Minnesota....presumably will sit a year, but will ask for waiver, as will Liam, the 7" drake transfer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT