ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer rules - B1G & NCAA

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
What if a kid transferred from a B1G program to another program out of conference, but while sitting out decided he wanted to play at another B1G school? Could he come back to the B1G on scholarship?

There are two main issues. First, players that transfer prior to graduation can't transfer within the conference and play on an athletic scholarship. Even though they are sitting out, they are taking part in basketball activities. at their current school Would that require them to sit out a second season?

My thoughts are that by enrolling at another school, he would be able to transfer back and play at a B1G school. The player could apply for the NCAA waiver that Luke Recker used to transfer for personal reasons and not have to sit out a second season.

I won't give the name of the player, but I received some reliable information last night from a source that got their information directly from the player. The player wanted to transfer to IU originally, but paying his own way prevented that. I'm unclear if this player is seriously pursuing a move. Independent of if CAM would be interested, it raised a question last night if it was realistically possible.

Reactions: tkejones
There are two main issues. First, players that transfer prior to graduation can't transfer within the conference and play on an athletic scholarship.
Can't the B1G school a kid is leaving waive that?

Can't the B1G school a kid is leaving waive that?
I thought it was a hard rule that was meant to keep players from moving within the conference. Teams can refuse to release players as a method to control where they can go. That could be done more than we know.

What if a kid transferred from a B1G program to another program out of conference, but while sitting out decided he wanted to play at another B1G school? Could he come back to the B1G on scholarship?

There are two main issues. First, players that transfer prior to graduation can't transfer within the conference and play on an athletic scholarship. Even though they are sitting out, they are taking part in basketball activities. at their current school Would that require them to sit out a second season?

My thoughts are that by enrolling at another school, he would be able to transfer back and play at a B1G school. The player could apply for the NCAA waiver that Luke Recker used to transfer for personal reasons and not have to sit out a second season.

I won't give the name of the player, but I received some reliable information last night from a source that got their information directly from the player. The player wanted to transfer to IU originally, but paying his own way prevented that. I'm unclear if this player is seriously pursuing a move. Independent of if CAM would be interested, it raised a question last night if it was realistically possible.
This sounds a lot like what happened with Luke Recker. He played at IU and then transferred to Arizona. I believe he was enrolled at Arizona, but never played because he was in an accident. He then decided to go to Iowa and played there on scholarship. Perhaps it has to do with actually being enrolled at a school out of conference. This way you are not directly going from one conference school to another one.

When Recker transferred, the rule was that the player had to attend the new B1G school for a full year before suiting up. I note he only played 18 games his first year at Iowa, so it's possible that's exactly what happened, since he transferred there for the spring semester the previous year.

The rule now, however, is different. Besides the year on the sideline, the player also has to give up a year of eligibility. This effectively limits upperclassmen transfers to graduate students, which fall under different rules.

The B10 changed their rule a few years ago. A kid can still get a scholorship but loses a year of eligibility. Now, the agreement between the school and player can prevent the player from transferring directly to a school, but....either way, that one year can mean a lot...

Jeff George transferred from Purdue to Miami, couldn’t beat out Steve Walsh in spring practice, and then transferred to Illinois that summer.

those who make the rules, make them to benefit themselves.

those who have no say in the rules, get screwed by those who make them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT