ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal is a bad option for recruiting

I understand why we have to do it this season but in the future, I think most of the kids who enter are the wrong type of kids for us. When you make a commitment, you should honor that commitment and not jump at the first shiny object you see. I think kids who enter that portal will be less coachable and I question their commitment. There are a couple of exceptions. One, if they go to play for a Coach and that coach is terminated or quits, I somewhat understand that player going into the portal. Second, if they are not contributing or living up to their hype and the Coach asks them to transfer, but that is not a player IU wants. Because of that, IU needs to avoid the portal as an option in the future and go after good kids with character that fit the IU mold. Kids that will honor their commitment and learn to see it through and learn to come out ahead even when their backs are up against the wall.
The Virginia Cavaliers send their warm regards.

It is not unfortunately; however, if you watch Stargate, Contact, and the Arrival in a row, they may send you a invite link, that is, if they think you're worthy
Had to give you a a like for this - flipping brilliant. Want more...

No it's not, let's not pretend everybody out there on scholarship is Kobe or MJ. The real problem is that they force a Kobe to play 1 year of college at all ... really the NBA and not the NCAA.

Apparently you didn't pay for your own education and appreciate the cost... I did, close to done, but it's like a premium cable package bill every month for like 20 years.

Saying athletes should get to jump around on scholarship is like saying any student on scholarship if they don't like their classes ... refund, I think not.
It sucks, fortunately for my wallet, we've sucked so long that I'm happy now to listen to Fish broadcast us lose. Hope Woodson makes me subscribe to watch again.
Well you’re not one of the best basketball players on the planet and playing in a system that draws millions of fans and billions of dollars in revenue. Your situation is a little different than a IU basketball player’s situation.

I understand why we have to do it this season but in the future, I think most of the kids who enter are the wrong type of kids for us. When you make a commitment, you should honor that commitment and not jump at the first shiny object you see. I think kids who enter that portal will be less coachable and I question their commitment. There are a couple of exceptions. One, if they go to play for a Coach and that coach is terminated or quits, I somewhat understand that player going into the portal. Second, if they are not contributing or living up to their hype and the Coach asks them to transfer, but that is not a player IU wants. Because of that, IU needs to avoid the portal as an option in the future and go after good kids with character that fit the IU mold. Kids that will honor their commitment and learn to see it through and learn to come out ahead even when their backs are up against the wall.

The transfer portal will be the future, in both football and basketball. Teams will soon be taking much smaller HS classes in football (I've heard from somebody in the know that HS classes of 15 will be far more common than classes of 20 and 25 are now) and I see that coming in basketball as well (leaving a scholarship open every year for transfers). I don't like it, but that's not the point. The next wave of consistently successful college programs will be the ones who use the portal the best (pushing kids into it that don't fit, grabbing the ones that do). In 10 years CBB will look very different than it does today, adapt or die.

Reactions: ufo33
The portal removes the risk of recruiting a Freshman who is not as good as advertised, or takes a couple years of maturing before they can contribute in a positive way. Use an all inclusive recruiting method, HS, Prep School, JC, Transfer Portal to build the most well rounded team that you can. Maybe a 50/50 mix of HS recruits and Transfer Portal. This season IU might easily start 2 transfer guards in Parker & Xavier.

ADVERTISEMENT