ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer names we're actually looking at.......

At 6'9, Harrar and Race have pretty similar games. Race more athletic, Harrar a little bit stronger (maybe inch taller?) but have pretty much same skillset. Harrar makes sense as a back up if you plan on playing TJD and Race together 30min a game, but I don't think that's the route Woodson is going to go. Need at least 4 guys on the court who can spread the floor at any given time and that diminishes the more you play TJD and Race together.

Race is more of a true Power Foward/Emergency C, whereas Harrar is closer to a true Center (which is how P$U used him)...

In my way of thinking, he'd be a more athletic version of Brunk who could be counted on to get up and down the floor at both ends and free up TJD from having to work down low against the Big Tens true Centers..., while still allowing Coach Woodson to run the 4-1...

Picking him up also gives you the ability to actually go Big up front (with all 3 of them on the floor) occasionally when the need may arise... (and I understand that's Not how the 4-1 would ordinarily operate)...

Last edited:
I'm with you on Harrar....built like a Notre Dame tight end. More that suitable replacement for Brunk...actually (no disrespect towards Joey) an upgrade. A guy built for B1G ball. And a lot of experience. I see him as a can't-lose pickup for any team.

Not sure about Mangas...haven't seen any proof he knows how to play defense...but he does have some athletic freak in him and seems to have the cocky chip-on-his shoulder way....I've said many times, IU bball needs an infusion of badassery. Tired of looking like the Karens of the Big Ten.

You beat me to it (on Harrar)...😉😀😎

Race is more of a true Power Foward/Emergency C, whereas Harrar is closer to a true Center (which is how P$U used him)...

In my way of thinking, he'd be a more athletic version of Brunk who could be counted on to get up and down the floor at both ends and free up TJD from having to work down low against the Big Tens true Centers..., while still allowing Coach Woodson to run the 4-1...

Picking him up also gives you the ability to actually go Big up front occasionally when the need may arise... (and I understand that's Not how the 4-1 would ordinarily operate)...
I hear ya there, just don't see Harrar coming to IU for a year to play ~15 mpg in a back up role.

Reactions: JIMSHAM and 76-1
I hear ya there, just don't see Harrar coming to IU for a year to play ~15 mpg in a back up role.

That's the friction point when going after most of these guys... Everyone, most likely, wants a near promise of major minutes, if not an outright starting position...

Reactions: trailrunner
This is why Woodson and his staff are making the big bucks. They’ll have to balance the immediate needs to just win more ball games and become an NCAA caliber team right away...with building foundational things that leads to us being a perennial B10 contender in a couple/few years.

If you’re focusing solely on the former, you probably just fill your roster this year with transfers that can upgrade your talent level, whatever size or position they are. If it’s the latter, building post depth for the future...finding alpha leaders for the future in the backcourt. Spending a ton of time getting in with 2022-2024 difference makers, etc...

As everything should be, I’m sure it’ll be a balance of both.
Harrar would be a one year rental and really doesn't raise the talent level needed to win immediately. He does however bring needed post depth although I think IU can get away with platooning TJD/Race/Duncomb at the 5 position as I believe you'll see a lot of Hunter and Geronimo at the 4 (maybe Kopp if you can bring him in).

Does the B1G still have the intraconference transfer rule that requires transfers to pay their tuition?

that was my thought...there's a lot more playing time for Harrar to find somewhere else. Probably why Brunk left as well. Harrar is a long shot at best for IU.

I think it would depend on how Coach Woodson explains his role in the new Offense... If he's a "key" guy playing 22 minutes plus a game at the Center position (with TJD playing true PF), I think he'd be interested... Depends on how he believes he'll be used...

I'm not counting on Duncomb next season..., he looks like he's a full year and a half in the weight room away from being a Big Ten contributor to me...

Indiana 3P% 2020-21
Indiana 32.4% (ranked 237th)
Armaan Franklin 36-80 45.0% Virginia
Aljami Durham 37-96 38.5% Providence
Rob Phinisee 25-94 26.6%
Jerome Hunter 24-70 34.3%
Khristian Lander 12-44 27.3%
Anthony Leal 9-30 30.0%
Trey Galloway 6-31 19.4%
Jordan Geronimo 4-10 40.0%
Race Thompson 3-15 20.0%

Trayce Jackson Davis 0%
Parker Stewart 19.2 PTS and 4.6 REB
34.8 3P% (71-204 in 25 games in 2019-20)

Xavier Johnson 14.2 PTS and 3.4 REB
32.1 3P% (25-78 in 18 games 2020-21)

Reactions: 76-1
IU needs shot makers & play makers. Kyle Mangas is both. Kyle Mangas is IUs best option through the portal to improve their offense.
But again I ask is he in the transfer portal (I don't see where to check it and don't know how it works with a D2 player), and is there any evidence we've shown interest, or is this the new Luke Brown?

Reactions: 76-1 and JIMSHAM
IU needs shot makers & play makers. Kyle Mangas is both. Kyle Mangas is IUs best option through the portal to improve their offense.
I think you have to go after Mac McClung from Texas Tech. He would be an instant impact player. He would be my number one choice and then add a big.
6’2 G
185 lbs
15.5 PPG
2.7 RPG
2.1 APG
41.9 FG%
79.3 FT% (107-135)
34.3 3P% (47-137)

Reactions: Seyton and 76-1
But again I ask is he in the transfer portal (I don't see where to check it and don't know how it works with a D2 player), and is there any evidence we've shown interest, or is this the new Luke Brown?
Definitely different than Brown. This is an actual high D1 level player that IU has interest in. He is deciding whether or not to go pro or transfer to a P5 school for a year.

Reactions: ufo33
I think you have to go after Mac McClung from Texas Tech. He would be an instant impact player. He would be my number one choice and then add a big.
6’2 G
185 lbs
15.5 PPG
2.7 RPG
2.1 APG
41.9 FG%
79.3 FT% (107-135)
34.3 3P% (47-137)
I like McClung but I would rather have Kyle Mangas. Mangas is more skilled, and would immediately make IU a better team.

I like McClung but I would rather have Kyle Mangas. Mangas is more skilled, and would immediately make IU a better team.
OK, let’s agree to disagree on this one. One player has played in division I basketball for a couple years and has made a name for himself. The other player is in the NAIA and he also has made a name for myself. He is a 3x Crossroads League Player of the Year and also a 2x NAIA Player of the Year. The level of competition is greatly different. Mac gets the opportunity to play against some of the top defenders night in and night out. Kyle hasn’t had that same opportunity yet, but he might get that chance. Hell he could be the next Dylan Windler (Belmont and the Cleveland Cavaliers). Hopefully we get a shot at one of them. Neither player is listed on the nbadraft.net website.

Reactions: 76-1 and Seyton
OK, let’s agree to disagree on this one. One player has played in division I basketball for a couple years and has made a name for himself. The other player is in the NAIA and he also has made a name for myself. He is a 3x Crossroads League Player of the Year and also a 2x NAIA Player of the Year. The level of competition is greatly different. Mac gets the opportunity to play against some of the top defenders night in and night out. Kyle hasn’t had that same opportunity yet, but he might get that chance. Hell he could be the next Dylan Windler (Belmont and the Cleveland Cavaliers). Hopefully we get a shot at one of them. Neither player is listed on the nbadraft.net website.
I would agree that McClung is definitely the better overall prospect...really no doubt about that. However, he's also got a bit of a reputation as a "me first" guy and that definitely showed at times even at Tech. I'm just not sure with where our program is now, if that's what you want to be introducing to the culture.

Reactions: 76-1 and Seyton
We crucify our guys for 34% from three but this guy is our answer?
Hell yes! You go get him right now. Remember last year when we couldn’t find anybody to score? Watch some of his highlight reels. The kid is good. You have to guard hIm, he will open things up for everyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattn7
Hell yes! You go get him right now. Remember last year when we couldn’t find anybody to score? Watch some of us highlight reels. The kid is good. You have to guard hIm, he will open things up for everyone else.
Mac McClung | 2020-21 Best College Highlights

Hell yes! You go get him right now. Remember last year when we couldn’t find anybody to score? Watch some of us highlight reels. The kid is good. You have to guard hIm, he will open things up for everyone else.
I could probably put together an Al Durham highlight reel that would look pretty good too. That is why they are called highlight reels--they don't show the 66% they miss.

Reactions: Al Bino
Mac McClung, Adam Miller among top 20 new NCAA Basketball transfers.

Hey it’s a good article. All I’m saying is we have two open scholarships, I think it would be silly not to go after him.

1. G Mac McClung – Texas Tech Red Raiders

IU needs shot makers & play makers. Kyle Mangas is both. Kyle Mangas is IUs best option through the portal to improve their offense. Mangas has high BB IQ and is poised and clutch late in games.
Do you know if he can play another year ya d that he is actually available in the portal? I just want to make sure that he is actually allowed/wanted to play another year? Just information would be nice. To know.

6’2 G
185 lbs
15.5 PPG
2.7 RPG
2.1 APG
41.9 FG%
79.3 FT% (107-135)
34.3 3P% (47-137)
I don't know about McClung for IU, in fact, I don't think he's a good fit now that we have XJ. Great all around player, but to me, not a deadeye knock down shooter. I think he and XJ's games, sound very similar, and not enough balls on the court to keep them both happy; and I expect both would command major minutes. I'd like to see us get a guy with more size who's closer to 40% on 3s.

I like having complimentary pieces and to me we don't have a great taller knock down shooter. Apologies to Jerome, but I don't count anyone who's not at 80% FTs as a knock down shooter, and was shocked at his struggles from the line.

Last edited:
Do you know if he can play another year ya d that he is actually available in the portal? I just want to make sure that he is actually allowed/wanted to play another year? Just information would be nice. To know.
Sounds like D2 guys have the same option to come back for another year due to Covid. I've seen articles mentioning he's looking at pro ball options, but nothing that says he's looking at xferring or that IU has been in contact.

Watching here and on the other forums, the names I've actually seen mentioned with IU are Tamar Bates, Josh Nickleberry, Miller Kopp, and Kyle Mangas. And, possibly, Adam Miller. Frankly, not a very exciting list to this point. I've also seen Jabari Smith's name thrown about, but that seems very doubtful.

Anybody else hearing or seeing about others we are actually communicating with (v. those we 'should/could' look at)?
New name on the portal that IU has contacted:

DeVion Harmon, 6'2" guard out of Oklahoma.

EDIT: Harmon's teammate, 6'9" Brady Manek, is also in the portal. I have not seen we have contacted him, but that's one to watch as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianiu and 76-1
Is Christian Bishop worth a look or is the UNC and Kansas offers to much to overcome?

Is Christian Bishop worth a look or is the UNC and Kansas offers to much to overcome?
Good player but again, skillset is too similar to Race and TJD. Undersized 5, athletic, lacks perimeter skills. Can never have too much talent but need players with different and definitive roles.

New name on the portal that IU has contacted:

DeVion Harmon, 6'2" guard out of Oklahoma.

EDIT: Harmon's teammate, 6'9" Brady Manek, is also in the portal. I have not seen we have contacted him, but that's one to watch as well.
Take both and call it a day lol.

Starting 5 of:
Harmon
Johnson
Stewart
Manek
TJD

Yes please.

Good player but again, skillset is too similar to Race and TJD. Undersized 5, athletic, lacks perimeter skills. Can never have too much talent but need players with different and definitive role
I think having another good player like Race and TJD is good especially if there is a plan to work some shooting into TJD's game. Also, Race and TJD are likely on their final years. They will also be adding Duncomb. I doubt they will land Bishop but Bishop and Bates would be my preference at this point for final 2 spots.

Well, there might be a bit more "smoke" on the Mangas front.

One of the well connected posters (might even be the moderator) on the Btown Banners site is saying he's hearing Mangas will either be playing in Bloomington next year or playing pro (assume overseas). Sure seems to me that the kid is wanting to go to IU. Should be interesting to follow.

Well, there might be a bit more "smoke" on the Mangas front.

One of the well connected posters (might even be the moderator) on the Btown Banners site is saying he's hearing Mangas will either be playing in Bloomington next year or playing pro (assume overseas). Sure seems to me that the kid is wanting to go to IU. Should be interesting to follow.
I think he’d be a nice addition at a minimum. If his scoring can easily translate to B10 play...he’d be a huge addition. I can’t see him not helping if he does choose IU though.

And personally, seeing someone come from the conference I played in, to IU, would be pretty cool. Though Kyle isn’t your everyday, average NAIA player.

Add him and a big that can defend/rebound, and maybe knock down a 3 or two...and call it a team.

I think having another good player like Race and TJD is good especially if there is a plan to work some shooting into TJD's game. Also, Race and TJD are likely on their final years. They will also be adding Duncomb. I doubt they will land Bishop but Bishop and Bates would be my preference at this point for final 2 spots.

I'd rather have the experienced guy being the 2 guard, and the inexperienced guy being the big.

My thinking is we need a solid, experienced 3 pt shooter for 1 year only...on the other hand, with regard to a big, we need someone who's willing to play 5 minutes a game, and then more the next next year. Basically, we just need anther body for 2022. Of course I'd rather have an experienced big, but whoever we get will want to play 15-20M a game. and that doesn't seem possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT