ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer names we're actually looking at.......

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Watching here and on the other forums, the names I've actually seen mentioned with IU are Tamar Bates, Josh Nickleberry, Miller Kopp, and Kyle Mangas. And, possibly, Adam Miller. Frankly, not a very exciting list to this point. I've also seen Jabari Smith's name thrown about, but that seems very doubtful.

Anybody else hearing or seeing about others we are actually communicating with (v. those we 'should/could' look at)?

Reactions: CC Mac
Watching here and on the other forums, the names I've actually seen mentioned with IU are Tamar Bates, Josh Nickleberry, Miller Kopp, and Kyle Mangas. And, possibly, Adam Miller. Frankly, not a very exciting list to this point. I've also seen Jabari Smith's name thrown about, but that seems very doubtful.

Anybody else hearing or seeing about others we are actually communicating with (v. those we 'should/could' look at)?
You would imagine these kids are gonna have to make a choice soon,hopefully the staff has a surprise or two in the works.

Hoping our focus shifts a bit to finding a big man or two in the wake of losing Brunk. We are going to need some minutes from a big who can rebound and defend the rim. We have injury risk with TJD and Race and they will have some foul trouble - there is no avoiding that entirely.

I know we need shooters but if player development is going to be a strength of this staff then let's get to work on Lander, Galloway, Phinese, Leal, Geronimo and improve their shooting from distance.

Did the transfer portal take the place of JR college transfers or is it the same portal?

Mangas is unquestionably the best all around player in that group. It’d be fascinating to see how he’d adjust to high major D1 ball. As he is one of the better NAIA players ever.

Reactions: ufo33 and IULouie
Mangas is unquestionably the best all around player in that group. It’d be fascinating to see how he’d adjust to high major D1 ball. As he is one of the better NAIA players ever.
I agree he's got skills, but he looks a little slow to me.

From you, as someone who likes him, how would you compare him to a Randy Whittman?

From you, as someone who likes him, how would you compare him to a Randy Whittman?
I would love to take a flyer on this kid. He can really light it up from outside and is definitely sneaky athletic. He's not ultra quick, but does have a good first step and hops. I've read and heard that he's actually got good length too, which isn't the type of thing you normally see at the NAIA level.

I honestly don't know why you wouldn't take him unless you really just don't feel he can guard the position. But hell, even with that, how many more games would we have won over the past couple of years if we just had a great shooter?

Reactions: outlawyer and 76-1

Kyle Guy maybe. He’s not as quick as Guy, but stronger and more explosive near the basket. Guys probably a better shooter overall. Impossible to know how his game would translate to high major versus a Kyle Guy. It’d be fascinating to see it play out though.

To use current IU kids...maybe a cross between Trey Galloway and Armaan Franklin?

I THINK he’d be an upgrade over either of those guys. But again, no way to tell how he’d fare against B10 level guys.

Weiskamp from Iowa might be a decent comp too.

Reactions: ufo33

Bates and Smith are high school seniors (not in the portal). I would take either of those in a heartbeat. Smith is a top 5 recruit and a future lottery pick though not sure how he gets out of his NLOI from Auburn. If we're going strictly off that list, give me Kopp and Smith. Smith adds rim protecting capabilities and has extended range, would pair well with TJD. Kopp is a versatile player who can play in a variety of lineups.

I would love to take a flyer on this kid. He can really light it up from outside and is definitely sneaky athletic. He's not ultra quick, but does have a good first step and hops. I've read and heard that he's actually got good length too, which isn't the type of thing you normally see at the NAIA level.

I honestly don't know why you wouldn't take him unless you really just don't feel he can guard the position. But hell, even with that, how many more games would we have won over the past couple of years if we just had a great shooter?

He is long. Defense and ability to finish in Big10 traffic would be my biggest question marks. As you’d bring him in to shoot and score.

I don’t even know if he’d have eligibility? He already played his 4 years in NAIA? Don’t know if they got a free year too? Or if NCAA is allowing them to come in and play an extra year? I just commented on him because the OP brought him up.

I’d be surprised if he wouldn’t start for us. And push to score double figures. But could he guard B10 wings?

He is long. Defense and ability to finish in Big10 traffic would be my biggest question marks. As you’d bring him in to shoot and score.

I don’t even know if he’d have eligibility? He already played his 4 years in NAIA? Don’t know if they got a free year too? Or if NCAA is allowing them to come in and play an extra year? I just commented on him because the OP brought him up.

I’d be surprised if he wouldn’t start for us. And push to score double figures. But could he guard B10 wings?
I can't remember where I read it (but everything you read on the web is true!), but from what I've seen he would be eligible.

Kyle Mangus would be an awesome addition.
Tbe guy is tough as nails and can shoot the rock.

Reactions: baileyiu and ufo33
Hoping our focus shifts a bit to finding a big man or two in the wake of losing Brunk. We are going to need some minutes from a big who can rebound and defend the rim. We have injury risk with TJD and Race and they will have some foul trouble - there is no avoiding that entirely.

I know we need shooters but if player development is going to be a strength of this staff then let's get to work on Lander, Galloway, Phinese, Leal, Geronimo and improve their shooting from distance.
And Hunter

Getting mangas and Kopp would fill a big need! Mangas can score and shoot. Kopp is one of the best pure shooters in the big ten and has good size at 6’6”. We need some shooters with high basketball IQ

Kyle Guy maybe. He’s not as quick as Guy, but stronger and more explosive near the basket. Guys probably a better shooter overall. Impossible to know how his game would translate to high major versus a Kyle Guy. It’d be fascinating to see it play out though.

To use current IU kids...maybe a cross between Trey Galloway and Armaan Franklin?

I THINK he’d be an upgrade over either of those guys. But again, no way to tell how he’d fare against B10 level guys.

Weiskamp from Iowa might be a decent comp too.
Weiskamp is duncan robinson 2.0 and will play in the NBA for a a long time shooting threes, is this dude a dead eye shooter?

I saw him play a couple times in high school and he was a good ball handler and decent shooter, but nothing like those highlight clips with all the dunks.
I remember he hit a buzzer beater game winning three against my high school team in sectionals. The school I played for over 20 years ago that is...And I remember the first time I saw him play...I was thinking he was a stud guard with good size and length. He had multiple dunks in that game.

I didn’t pay much attention to where he went for college until I realized he was playing in the conference I played in. Surprised me he wasn’t D1. It took me seeing one of his college games to think he didn’t belong down at that level.

Indiana 3P% 2020-21
Indiana 32.4% (ranked 237th)
Armaan Franklin 36-80 45.0% Virginia
Aljami Durham 37-96 38.5% Providence
Rob Phinisee 25-94 26.6%
Jerome Hunter 24-70 34.3%
Khristian Lander 12-44 27.3%
Anthony Leal 9-30 30.0%
Trey Galloway 6-31 19.4%
Jordan Geronimo 4-10 40.0%
Race Thompson 3-15 20.0%

Trayce Jackson Davis 0%

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1
Can't be certain that we're actually looking at these guys but here are a few bios of guys that still appear to be available who might be able to help us:

Which 2 should we go with??

My votes would be for the true freshman Bates ((he actually reminds me of Woodson back when he was a freshman, very smooth, can score from all over the court)); and... drum roll..., John Harrar (I can hear the collective groans and head slaps across the interwebby)... 😉

I like Harrar because he's the consummate teammate who'll do the dirty work down low and only help you..., never hurt you... I think he's athletic enough to run the floor if that's what he'll be asked to do... He'd fill the void left by Brunk quite well..., in my opinion...

And before anyone gets really worked up about my choices..., just remember this: I won't get a vote...😎

Last edited:
Indiana 3P% 2020-21
Indiana 32.4% (ranked 237th)
Armaan Franklin 36-80 45.0% Virginia
Aljami Durham 37-96 38.5% Providence
Rob Phinisee 25-94 26.6%
Jerome Hunter 24-70 34.3%
Khristian Lander 12-44 27.3%
Anthony Leal 9-30 30.0%
Trey Galloway 6-31 19.4%
Jordan Geronimo 4-10 40.0%
Race Thompson 3-15 20.0%

Trayce Jackson Davis 0%

I see your point... One of the next two guys will have to be consistent from behind the 3pt line... That narrows things down...

Can't be certain that we're actually looking at these guys but here are a few bios of guys that still appear to be available who might be able to help us:

My votes would be for the true freshman Bates ((he actually reminds me of Woodson back when he was a freshman, very smooth, can score from all over the court)); and... drum roll..., John Harrar (I can hear the collective groans and head slaps across the interwebby)... 😉

I like Harrar because he's the consummate teammate who'll do the dirty work down low and only help you..., never hurt you... I think he's athletic enough to run the floor if that's what he'll be asked to do... He'd fill the void left by Brunk quite well..., in my opinion...

And before anyone gets really worked up about my choices..., just remember this: I won't get a vote...😎
At 6'9, Harrar and Race have pretty similar games. Race more athletic, Harrar a little bit stronger (maybe inch taller?) but have pretty much same skillset. Harrar makes sense as a back up if you plan on playing TJD and Race together 30min a game, but I don't think that's the route Woodson is going to go. Need at least 4 guys on the court who can spread the floor at any given time and that diminishes the more you play TJD and Race together.

So is there any evidence we're actually looking at Mangas, or that he intends to play another year at the D1 level? The article linked is from March but doesn't mention another year of college, possibly overseas. I don't know how to check, but is he in the transfer portal? Not sure how that works with a D2 player.

I'm with you on Harrar....built like a Notre Dame tight end. More that suitable replacement for Brunk...actually (no disrespect towards Joey) an upgrade. A guy built for B1G ball. And a lot of experience. I see him as a can't-lose pickup for any team.

Not sure about Mangas...haven't seen any proof he knows how to play defense...but he does have some athletic freak in him and seems to have the cocky chip-on-his shoulder way....I've said many times, IU bball needs an infusion of badassery. Tired of looking like the Karens of the Big Ten.

At 6'9, Harrar and Race have pretty similar games. Race more athletic, Harrar a little bit stronger (maybe inch taller?) but have pretty much same skillset. Harrar makes sense as a back up if you plan on playing TJD and Race together 30min a game, but I don't think that's the route Woodson is going to go. Need at least 4 guys on the court who can spread the floor at any given time and that diminishes the more you play TJD and Race together.
This is why Woodson and his staff are making the big bucks. They’ll have to balance the immediate needs to just win more ball games and become an NCAA caliber team right away...with building foundational things that leads to us being a perennial B10 contender in a couple/few years.

If you’re focusing solely on the former, you probably just fill your roster this year with transfers that can upgrade your talent level, whatever size or position they are. If it’s the latter, building post depth for the future...finding alpha leaders for the future in the backcourt. Spending a ton of time getting in with 2022-2024 difference makers, etc...

As everything should be, I’m sure it’ll be a balance of both.

Reactions: Tru2Irish and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT