Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Happy Moon Day!

It was one small step for a man, and one giant leap for mankind

Even Walter Cronkite was speechless

Everywhere, people looked up and said "wow, there are men on the moon."

We took pictures of our TV

There are few things I remember as clearly as a 4 year old than the moment I watched an astronaut set foot on the moon. I can point to the spot on the floor where I sat and watched what was going on another world. I understood as a 4 year old how unbelievable that was. Only the moment I learned a few months earlier that my grandpa had passed away is as vivid.

I collected any models, toys, and books I could about the Apollo and Skylab missions. Interesting that I have no personal memory of Apollo 13. It is possible my parents kept me busy to avoid that time. We made our first trip to Florida in the summer of 1970. I remember going to the Kennedy Space Center and thrilled to be where so much was going on. I still have the souvenir Apollo 11 mission patch fromg that trip. It was exciting that I was back at the Space Center in 1979 when Skylab re-entered the atmosphere There was no big moment marking the occasion and no mass media on site that I remember.

The space program put me on a course that likely led to my engineering profession. I grew up with space travel and missions that seemed to happen every month. It was an exciting time.

Reactions: RBB89
I was a teenager and was fully engrossed in the Apollo program, following all the missions closely and understanding the basics of the science involved. What I remember vividly about the Apollo 11 mission was the anxiety I had and resultant relief when they successfully touched down -- "The Eagle has landed." For me, while it was very cool, Armstrong stepping down on the surface was a bit meh.

I was 9. Had an uncle that was a NASA engineer throughout all the Apollo years. Thanks to him, I was the coolest kid in school when show & tell rolled around because of all the cool NASA stuff he sent me. Wish I knew where all that stuff ended up; long gone. My uncle called me that night when Armstrong was exiting the lander. It was late. I fell asleep talking to him on the phone with Armstrong descending the ladder. Missed the whole dang thing!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
For the most part I haven't cared too much about the space program. I wasn't born when we went to the moon. I grew up with the shuttle program and while I thought it was cool it never inspired me to study science and space more.

This past winter my wife and I decided to squeeze in a visit to Kennedy Space Center. Granted we were exhausted from one day at Epcot and two days at Universal Studios to see Harry Potter land, but this was the highlight of our entire trip. I left with a much greater appreciation for the space program. To see a shuttle upclose, the original command center and everything else KSC has to offer I think it's one of the hidden treasures in America. To spend so much time in Florida and ridiculous amounts of money at those parks you're during a disservice to your family if you don't at least visit Kennedy Space Center once.

Reactions: outside shooter
For the most part I haven't cared too much about the space program. I wasn't born when we went to the moon. I grew up with the shuttle program and while I thought it was cool it never inspired me to study science and space more.

This past winter my wife and I decided to squeeze in a visit to Kennedy Space Center. Granted we were exhausted from one day at Epcot and two days at Universal Studios to see Harry Potter land, but this was the highlight of our entire trip. I left with a much greater appreciation for the space program. To see a shuttle upclose, the original command center and everything else KSC has to offer I think it's one of the hidden treasures in America. To spend so much time in Florida and ridiculous amounts of money at those parks you're during a disservice to your family if you don't at least visit Kennedy Space Center once.

Agree about the Kennedy Space Center..we also did a tour a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I had never been a space geek but really got interested after that.

Also got to see one of the last shuttle launches which was extremely cool...made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

During my trip in '79, The non-operational space shuttle was positioned on the launch pad to confirm the fit of the fixtures to hold the craft on the old Apollo launch pad. This was several years before the first mission. Somewhere, I have several photos of this. It was awesome to see in person.

A friend of the family had a son that went to work for NASA out of college. As cool as it would seem to be an engineer for NASA, he left after a few years to work for Disney World.

Nope.

PS - Oswald was the only shooter.

PPS - Burning jet fuel CAN make steel beams fail.

C6H0
I have always questioned Oswald being the only shooter, but I agree on the other 2!

I point out the example of the slats in your bed holding up the box springs that develop a bow and fall out occasionally as what happened to the floor structure of the WTC. The beams bowed in the middle under heat and load and pulled away from the structure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT