ADVERTISEMENT

Tramar Reece in Portal

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Like Williams at WR, it seems inevitable that we are going to lose some kids who are not seeing a lot of time (and don’t feel confident they will ahead either.).

I wish him well and also would say things that open up spots for highly touted transfers or new recruits who can hopefully contribute can be a positive for the team moving forward. (See UM OL Carpenter this weekend!)

Let’s go IU!

Like Williams at WR, it seems inevitable that we are going to lose some kids who are not seeing a lot of time (and don’t feel confident they will ahead either.).

I wish him well and also would say things that open up spots for highly touted transfers or new recruits who can hopefully contribute can be a positive for the team moving forward. (See UM OL Carpenter this weekend!)

Let’s go IU!

Expect to see some surprises in coming weeks of kids we are not expecting to lose. It’s all part of it every year. We will undoubtedly see some head-scratchers coming up.

If Stevie Scott declares for draft, will be interesting to see Sampson James’ plans. There will be competition there, as there is at every spot. That’s okay, when you become a top ten team, there SHOULD be competition!

This is healthy. Transfers from kids who weren't going to be major contributors is how schools are able to bring in big classes every year. More swings = more chance to "hit" with more grace for "misses."

Wish him well wherever he lands!

Reactions: IUgradman and 76-1
Expect to see some surprises in coming weeks of kids we are not expecting to lose. It’s all part of it every year. We will undoubtedly see some head-scratchers coming up.
Any inside info or just what you expect the new normal is in college football? Normally I look for where we are recruiting hard where we already have players as a good sign of where we may have some movement.

Does college football have the same deal college basketball has? Where are you can declare for the draft but if you don’t sign with an agent you can come back to college. I think that is a really good way for players to learn their weaknesses and then try and improve that

Does college football have the same deal college basketball has? Where are you can declare for the draft but if you don’t sign with an agent you can come back to college. I think that is a really good way for players to learn their weaknesses and then try and improve that
I dont think they can declare but they can talk with an NFL source that will advise where they will be taken in the draft. Not nearly as good but does give the player at least an idea of what to expect round money wise.

Any inside info or just what you expect the new normal is in college football? Normally I look for where we are recruiting hard where we already have players as a good sign of where we may have some movement.

I expect RB losses. A couple. Some of that hinges on Scott. On defense, 2 from the DB ranks.

I won’t be upset if Scott leaves. He’s a decent RB but I’d like to get someone more explosive back there.

Scott has been Mr. Team, blocked well in pass protect and was running quite well vs Ole Miss.Seems as if Scott didn’t always have the game plan or OL to fully max out, but I do acknowledge he’s not a speed merchant either. Still, I could see him getting a chance in NFL given his size, pass protection skills and how NFL has lessened the importance of RB in NFL too, he seems like he could be 2nd or 3rd back worthy to me.

I do think James and Baldwin should have received a few more opportunities this year. I get it there are a limited number of snaps but if you are concerned about depth you get them a couple more touches per game.

Scott has been Mr. Team, blocked well in pass protect and was running quite well vs Ole Miss.Seems as if Scott didn’t always have the game plan or OL to fully max out, but I do acknowledge he’s not a speed merchant either. Still, I could see him getting a chance in NFL given his size, pass protection skills and how NFL has lessened the importance of RB in NFL too, he seems like he could be 2nd or 3rd back worthy to me.
It just wasn't Stevie's year. As big as he is he's not a wrecking ball at the LOS. He needs to get into a little bit of space to be able to run over the smaller guys. The OL just wasn't giving him much to work with all year. Those times when there was a hole, he was good for 6-10 yards. He just got hit at the line FAR too often and bottled up.

There clearly wasn't a commitment to the run, but given the full body of work for the season you have to assume that was upon assessment of OL strength & not lack of confidence in the RBs. Unless there's a major change with the run game, we're going to lose RBs for lack of carries.

Reactions: red hornet
Coleman is only a backup in the NFL and he was one of the best RBs that we have had in recent times. Probably be hard for Scott to make it unless most of the issues were with the OL run blocking.

It was fairly obvious the OL struggled giving backs much room to run most of the season. Stevie did what he could, getting hit at the line and falling fwd for a few yards. Then IU's pass game struggled vs MD and certainly vs Ole Miss.

Vs MD, IU decided to run the ball and got some flow, a lead and took control. Vs Ole Miss when the run was more effective than it had been all year, the OC didn't go to it early enough and certainly not often enough to make them stop it. He did it for them, especially on the last drive.

Reactions: red hornet
Coleman is only a backup in the NFL and he was one of the best RBs that we have had in recent times. Probably be hard for Scott to make it unless most of the issues were with the OL run blocking.
In fairness Tevin has started on and off in his career. This is year 6 for him and he has had a lot of recent injuries.

But agree that Scott is nothing more than an NFL backup and special teams guy.

ADVERTISEMENT