ADVERTISEMENT

Tough guy drone strikes 7 children...

How many innocent civilians have been killed by US drone strikes over the last 20 years across the globe? It's in the thousands and it's rarely reported upon unless there is partisan axe to grind
I guess that’s true. This one in particular was obviously a knee jerk reaction to looking foolish during the withdrawal.

It helps when you actually have people and informants in country.

Our service people on the ground will kill innocents once in a while, it’s unavoidable, but a drone strike from a base 4 hours out leaves a lot of room for error.

I'm not going to sit here and justify drone strikes that go awry, but grow up. This has been going on for 2 decades:

The New America figures report that:

• The first known U.S. drone strike in Pakistan was June 19, 2004, and the most recent U.S. drone strike in Pakistan was July 4, 2018. Over those 14 years, there were 413 reported strikes in Pakistan (with the peak being in 2010), which killed a total of between 2,366 and 3,702 people; of the total deaths, between 245 and 303 were civilians.[7]
  • The first known U.S. drone strike in Yemen was November 3, 2002 (killing al-Qaeda operative Qaed Salim Sinan al-Harethi), and the most recent U.S. drone strike in Yemen was May 17, 2020. Over those 18 years, there were 374 reported strikes in Yemen (with the peak being in 2012), which killed a total of between 1,378 and 1,775 people; of the total deaths, between 115 and 149 were civilians.[8]
  • In Libya, from the end of the 2011 UN-approved military intervention through March 31, 2020, there were 4,500 air, drone, and artillery strikes in Libya, carried out by many warring Libyan factions and their foreign supporters including the American, Russian, United Arab Emirates, Turkish, and Egyptian governments. The U.S. carried out 550 strikes (from all methods, not just drones), almost all of them in Operation Odyssey Lightning in 2016. The U.S. strikes killed between 238 and 298 people, of whom between 227 and 277 were combatants, and between 11 and 21 were civilians.[9]
  • In Somalia, there were a total of 263 U.S. counter-terrorism airstrikes, drone strikes, and ground raids from 2003 to 2021. Of the 263, the majority (202) occurred under the Trump administration. Collectively, between 1,479 and 1,886 people have been killed in the U.S. strikes in Somalia: between 1,389 and 1,696 militants, between 34 and 121 civilians, and between 56 and 69 unknowns.[10]
More here:

Cut the crap.

How many innocent civilians have been killed by US drone strikes over the last 20 years across the globe? It's in the thousands and it's rarely reported upon unless there is partisan axe to grind
There's always a partisan axe to grind. :) However, in most cases the innocent people killed are collateral damage whereas in this case no enemy was killed if the reports are correct. I would imagine that it's very difficult to get good information out of a place like that.

There's always a partisan axe to grind. :) However, in most cases the innocent people killed are collateral damage whereas in this case no enemy was killed if the reports are correct. I would imagine that it's very difficult to get good information out of a place like that.
And yet some posters on here have advocated for blasting countries they don't like back to the stone age.

Reactions: twenty02
I guess that’s true. This one in particular was obviously a knee jerk reaction to looking foolish during the withdrawal.

Our service people on the ground will kill innocents once in a while, it’s unavoidable, but a drone strike from a base 4 hours out leaves a lot of room for error.

How many people do we have on the ground in Yemen (officially) ? We've been droning the fk out of that county for years.

Libya? Somalia? Iraq? Syria?

The general ignorance displayed on this thread is truly amazing. Though I'm rarely surprised and expect nothing else

Last edited:

I remember at some point there was a wedding where some people were firing guns into the air (Yes, that's very dumb) and a drone blew up the entire wedding. This is very disturbing to me. We are supposed to be the good guys, and we should damned well know where our missiles are going.

Here is great study by Columbia University Law School and The Center for Civilian Impact of Drones. There seems to be quite a lot of ambiguous data about who's getting blown to bits.

Over 47,000 civilians were killed in Afghanistan since the beginning of the war. This airstrike was a horrible tragedy, no doubt, but where was the Right Wing echo chamber when all the other civilians were killed? There were almost as many civilians killed in Afghanistan as Taliban fighters!

THE HUMAN COST:

American service members killed in Afghanistan through April: 2,448.
U.S. contractors: 3,846.
Afghan national military and police: 66,000.
Other allied service members, including from other NATO member states: 1,144.
Afghan civilians: 47,245.
Taliban and other opposition fighters: 51,191.
Aid workers: 444.
Journalists: 72.

And suddenly Joe Biden is the bad guy? Okaaaaay....

Are we just talking drone strikes, or are we including toppling the Iraqi government?
Would you like to talk about toppling the government of Libya and the attempted toppling of Syria as well? Or maybe bombing pharmaceutical factories because your predilection for banging interns is about to drop some more bad news in the cycle? No, you don't want to talk about that because they are whatabouts unrelated to the current topic? Well then, there you go.

I remember at some point there was a wedding where some people were firing guns into the air (Yes, that's very dumb) and a drone blew up the entire wedding. This is very disturbing to me. We are supposed to be the good guys, and we should damned well know where our missiles are going.

Here is great study by Columbia University Law School and The Center for Civilian Impact of Drones. There seems to be quite a lot of ambiguous data about who's getting blown to bits.

I was reading an article a while back about us trying to make war too clean. Not that I agree with it but it had some interesting points about people (civilians ) not caring about war very much as long as it didn't affect them so there was never any reason to stop fighting. I tried to find the article again but couldn't.

Reactions: DrHoops
I was reading an article a while back about us trying to make war too clean. Not that I agree with it but it had some interesting points about people (civilians ) not caring about war very much as long as it didn't affect them so there was never any reason to stop fighting. I tried to find the article again but couldn't.
Maybe this one:

There is also this:

Lots of armchair generals out there.

That's easy.... they were in the same place the Left Wing echo chamber is now.
I don't think Left Wing people are defending the killing of civilians. I'm disgusted by it.

To a certain extent, that is what our system calls for.
I guess I'm more referring to everyday Joes who flippantly call for war with whomever is our enemy of the day without considering the consequences. I do agree with you in a way, though. We have people flying drones looking at a screen that looks like a video game.

I'm happy we're out. My cousin who fought there was gung ho going in and came back a changed person.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Maybe this one:

There is also this:

Yep the first one was the one I was reading but I also read another short version of a book that summed it up pretty good.

The family says that no one has even bothered to apologize...

Last edited:
The family says that no one has even bothered to apologize...

Did the Saudis ever apologize for 9/11? It was their peeps.

Probably not.

And we still suck their oil teat.

War, or whatever we were doing in Afghanistan, is messy. Fair to say our current versions of "war" are the cleanest in history. If admitting our mistake were to have some kind of positive impact then sure let's do it. But after 20 years of, again, whatever we were doing in Afghanistan I don't think it would make much of a difference.

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1
Does anyone else notice the lack of devastation at the impact point? The pic that I keep seeing is that the paint is still on the door frame 15' away from the blown up vehicle. Heck, not even a blast pattern on the wall next to the truck. Just seems odd.

The drone strike was a horrible tragedy, another f^ck up by our intel, and another embarrassment for the Biden administration. But wait, anyone who's dismissive of your post "marks themselves for posterity as to who they are and what they stand for?" Posterity? Seriously? Dude, this is a f*cking anonymous message board. Take a deep breath and get a grip.
But you believed the 'intel community' 100% when they were lying about Trump.

But now it's not Biden's fault for being bloodthirsty and seeking vengence. It's all the 'intel community'.

You are so predictable.

The thing is the same people that criticized Bush will be on here defending Biden when both probably acted on the information they had. I'd like to know for sure who was killed with the drone attack. Seems like to me it would be difficult to get good information out of there.
Obviously you don't know about our 'over the horizon' capabilities.

We don't need any stinkin' humint. Sigint is totally reliable!

But you believed the 'intel community' 100% when they were lying about Trump.

But now it's not Biden's fault for being bloodthirsty and seeking vengence. It's all the 'intel community'.

You are so predictable.
That's some kind of spin on what I wrote. You are truly insane.

Would you like to talk about toppling the government of Libya and the attempted toppling of Syria as well? Or maybe bombing pharmaceutical factories because your predilection for banging interns is about to drop some more bad news in the cycle? No, you don't want to talk about that because they are whatabouts unrelated to the current topic? Well then, there you go.

We can talk about whatever you'd like. Let's not pretend this is a party issue.

" If any Republican administration had fudged up this badly considering the circumstances they would (rightly) get dragged over the coals."

I'm thinking Iraq is bigger than seven people.

That's some kind of spin on what I wrote. You are truly insane.
It's wholly accurate. You didn't blame the 'intel community' once for lying about Trump and believed them totally.

You were suckered then and you're still being suckered.

• Haha
In reaction to bombing that showed how inept he is.

Anybody really want to argue right now that Biden is doing better than Trump did? If so, by all means show your work. From where I sit Biden has done horribly on foreign policy, domestically he has not done anything of substance on COVID. He was gifted vaccines by the prior administrations push to work with manufacturers to get them to market ASAP and he and his party (and all their sycophants) have ****ed up the messaging on that. The border is a disaster. Instead of fixing they have the FAA setting up no fly zones so pictures of the flood of people are harder to come by. The economy is doing awesome....supply chains are great. So great we are all being encouraged to shop early because of the glut of products that are sure to be on shelves this Christmas (DWS).

What has gone better? Restored norms? Withholding medication from political rivals for a more equitable distribution (as opposed to sending based on needs), intimating that domestic dissidents could not win a hypothetical fight because he would bomb and nuke them...so give up your guns, pissed off allies by doing deals that iced them out of previously agreed to contracts, bugged out of Afghanistan without notifying partners, threatening to get governors out of the way, prone to lying and braggadocio....

I mean, the mean late night tweets are gone but that is probably because he doesn't know how to work a smartphone.

Seriously, defend your boy. What you got?
But when it happened under Trump, that was ok, right? When tRUMP threw our Kurdish Armenian allies under the tank tracks of Erdogan & Putin, that was ok? When Biden was sleeping, drunk & showering, he was doing a better job than tRUMP. My dead dog Rover does a better job than tRUMP, & he was blind. 45 <<< 1-44

Btw, tRUMP set up our Afghanistan withdrawal (which was slightly altered by Biden). tRUMP gets 15-20% of the withdrawal blame. Lindsey was right. We WILL be back, & it will cost billions more to do it all over again.

Btw, did you know, before tRUMP was for gun rights, he was against them. He was FOR abortion, before he was against it. He was FOR big unions, before he was against them. tRUMP was against Republicans & conservatives, BEFORE he was for/got paid by them. :O 45 = biggest hypocrite & lying machine in American political history. tRUMP was for/all over "Horse face", before he was paying her to keep quite, while still married. :O Yikes!!! 45 = biggest phony/fraud in American political history. When his lips are moving, he's lying.

But when tRUMP orders a bad hit, it's Biden's fault.

The more you know

Doc Meeks

Last edited:
In reaction to bombing that showed how inept he is.

Anybody really want to argue right now that Biden is doing better than Trump did? If so, by all means show your work. From where I sit Biden has done horribly on foreign policy, domestically he has not done anything of substance on COVID. He was gifted vaccines by the prior administrations push to work with manufacturers to get them to market ASAP and he and his party (and all their sycophants) have ****ed up the messaging on that. The border is a disaster. Instead of fixing they have the FAA setting up no fly zones so pictures of the flood of people are harder to come by. The economy is doing awesome....supply chains are great. So great we are all being encouraged to shop early because of the glut of products that are sure to be on shelves this Christmas (DWS).

What has gone better? Restored norms? Withholding medication from political rivals for a more equitable distribution (as opposed to sending based on needs), intimating that domestic dissidents could not win a hypothetical fight because he would bomb and nuke them...so give up your guns, pissed off allies by doing deals that iced them out of previously agreed to contracts, bugged out of Afghanistan without notifying partners, threatening to get governors out of the way, prone to lying and braggadocio....

I mean, the mean late night tweets are gone but that is probably because he doesn't know how to work a smartphone.

Seriously, defend your boy. What you got?
The geniuses in the (R) Party nominated & elected a guy who spent the previous 95% of his life (political & otherwise) as a NY City, big lib donating (D), pro big union, pro abortion, pro gun control & pro mafia (like daddy) & organized crime. And just what was supposed to happen, happened, he set forth to destroy the (R) Party from within. He sure did get out the vote, the (D), liberal, anti-tRUMP vote. GOP, you got what you deserved/asked for. Good riddance.

It's not surprising, that after tRUMP, many (R)s have a craving for Clorox & dewormer. :O

RIP GOP

Doc Meeks

Last edited:
But when it happened under Trump, that was ok, right? When tRUMP threw our Kurdish Armenian allies under the tank tracks of Erdogan & Putin, that was ok? When Biden was sleeping, drunk & showering, he was doing a better job than tRUMP. My dead dog Rover does a better job than tRUMP, & he was blind. 45 <<< 1-44

Btw, tRUMP set up our Afghanistan withdrawal (which was slightly altered by Biden). tRUMP gets 15-20% of the withdrawal blame. Lindsey was right. We WILL be back, & it will cost billions more to do it all over again.

Btw, did you know, before tRUMP was for gun rights, he was against them. He was FOR abortion, before he was against it. He was FOR big unions, before he was against them. tRUMP was against Republicans & conservatives, BEFORE he was for/got paid by them. :O 45 = biggest hypocrite & lying machine in American political history. tRUMP was for/all over "Horse face", before he was paying her to keep quite, while still married. :O Yikes!!! 45 = biggest phony/fraud in American political history. When his lips are moving, he's lying.

The more you know

Doc Meeks
Do you suffer from Tourettes by any chance?

Reactions: DANC

You are living/thinking/talking in the 1950's. We haven't kicked in doors & gone 'street to street' for a long time (when we don't have to). We use drones because having our guys or even our allies do it, is very, very dangerous, & fatal sometimes. America doesn't off the enemy, when we can drone him/them from above. You must have been briefed/informed by tRUMP, or you've been watching too many John Wayne moves.

Btw Einstein, tRUMP did more 'drone strikes' than Biden.

This is the most inaccurate/inane/insane bs statement/lie, I've seen in a long, long time: "Our service ...". We launched our drones from the nearest available base, Gomer. Get a life & grow a pair, Nancy. We can't launch from Kabul anymore, because tRUMP set up the plans to withdraw.

Wow?

Doc Meeks

Extra credit, trivia question: Who was the last (R) president to practice an 'isolationist foreign policy' before Trump did?

45 <<<<<<<<<<< 'conservative'/honest :O

Doc Meeks

Last edited:
Do you suffer from Tourettes by any chance?
From tRUMPISM.

symptoms: (include but are not limited to) immediate projectile vomiting, nausea & diarrhea, loss of appetite, loss of party, loss of elections, loss of confidence, loss of voters, loss of senses, & loss of leadership.

... & this is on a good day.

:O

Doc Meeks

You are living/thinking/talking in the 1950's. We haven't kicked in doors & gone 'street to street' for a long time (when we don't have to). We use drones because having our guys or even our allies do it, is very, very dangerous, & fatal sometimes. America doesn't off the enemy, when we can drone him/them from above. You must have been briefed/informed by tRUMP, or you've been watching too many John Wayne moves.

Btw Einstein, tRUMP did more 'drone strikes' than Biden.

This is the most inaccurate/inane/insane bs statement/lie, I've seen in a long, long time: "Our service ...". We launched our drones from the nearest available base, Gomer. Get a life & grow a pair, Nancy. We can't launch from Kabul anymore, because tRUMP set up the plans to withdraw.

Wow?

Doc Meeks

Extra credit, trivia question: Who was the last (R) president to practice an 'isolationist foreign policy' before Trump did?

45 <<<<<<<<<<< 'conservative'/honest :O

Doc Meeks
I don’t know who you are and why you’re posting so much all the sudden, but the moronic, overly agitated, progressive quota is already full on this board, hit the bricks.

• Haha
Reactions: billyhillui
There is a line in Patton at the end when he is riding a horse in an indoor arena answering questions which basically and he says the same thing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT