ADVERTISEMENT

Totally unimportant, but I'm oddly happy to see..

I remember Ken Burroughs with the Oilers wearing 00 as a receiver and some D lineman for the Raiders as well. I kind of like QBs wearing numbers in the 20's as well. Can't think of any college players wearing 0 or 00 though.

I remember Ken Burroughs with the Oilers wearing 00 as a receiver and some D lineman for the Raiders as well. I kind of like QBs wearing numbers in the 20's as well. Can't think of any college players wearing 0 or 00 though.
Didn't "white shoes" where 00 also?

No! No! No!

Jim Otto was 00 for the Raiders for 15 years. Not drafted. He was a center who played hurt in 210 consecutive games. A Hall of Fame member. Never missed a game. He was an all time great.

As penance you need to look him up so you can appreciate what a fantastic player he was.

Last edited:
The first NFl Player I remember wearing thenumber 0 was Johnny Olszeski (aka "Johnny O"). He played running back for the old Chicago Cardinals and Washington Redskins from about 1954 until 1960.
Damn, I'm getting old. I can't remember what I had for Dinner last night, but I remember the Jersey Number of a guy who started his career when I was 2 years old and finished it before I was 10.

Last edited:
Yes, Johnny "O", played next to Ollie Matson in the backfield for the Chicago Cardinals at Commiskey Park.

Those old enough to remember those Cardinal teams might be interested in a book about the history of the Cardinals written by a friend, Joe Ziemba, a fellow native south sider
whose father and uncle were well known coaches in the Chicagoland area in the 40’s and 50’s. You can order it from Barnes and Noble. Btw, the oldest living member of the 1948 NFL Champion Cardinals is Charlie Trippi who lives near Athens, Ga., where he starred as a collegian.

ADVERTISEMENT