ADVERTISEMENT

Top IU games attended

technically was probably the right thing to do at the time.

with everyone focused on Ritter, i wonder if anyone but the ref saw McGinnis call TO.
The bench told GM to call timeout, so it really wasn’t his fault at all. Great game. UK, especially with Payne and Guyette, we’re big and good. We were promising but had one absolute stud and several other raw guys who would become very good in their own right.

The bench told GM to call timeout, so it really wasn’t his fault at all. Great game. UK, especially with Payne and Guyette, we’re big and good. We were promising but had one absolute stud and several other raw guys who would become very good in their own right.

Larry Steele and Downing both sat the game out iirc.

we needed Downing more than they needed Steele that day imo.

Larry Steele and Downing both sat the game out iirc.

we needed Downing more than they needed Steele that day imo.
TP wasn’t highly skilled, as I recall, but he was massive. GM was so good, though, that he was pretty much unstoppable. Great game and atmosphere.

The McDonald’s game was against Iowa. The ND thrashing (94-29) was before the short-lived McD’s promotion that came a couple of years later. The UK game in the UD Arena was awful. The UM game there in ‘81 was the polar opposite.
That ND game was the dedication game for AH.

Yep, though I believe there were one or two games played prior to that one. ND was really awful. I do remember Gary Novak was kind of a bright spot, but they were horrible.
Well that’s your perspective, and considering how dumb you are, it doesn’t mean much

technically was probably the right thing to do at the time.

with everyone focused on Ritter, i wonder if anyone but the ref saw McGinnis call TO.
I saw George's "T" with his hands just as Ritter let fly. I was just to the left of the near backboard about 2/3 the way up the portable bleachers. All three guys were pretty close together with the ref and George to the right of Ritter. John's momentum carried him forward of the other two. The place went wild but it didn't last for long. I was stunned.

If George hadn't been in the ref's face so quickly...like he was right there. What are the chances of both the ref and Big Mack together with Ritter's bomb that swished through the nets. If Big Mack had been behind the ref we would have won the game. They put less than a second back on the clock for after the timeout. Not enough time to do anything so it's too bad the timeout was called. It was one of those games you never forget.

I saw George's "T" with his hands just as Ritter let fly. I was just to the left of the near backboard about 2/3 the way up the portable bleachers. All three guys were pretty close together with the ref and George to the right of Ritter. John's momentum carried him forward of the other two. The place went wild but it didn't last for long. I was stunned.

If George hadn't been in the ref's face so quickly...like he was right there. What are the chances of both the ref and Big Mack together with Ritter's bomb that swished through the nets. If Big Mack had been behind the ref we would have won the game. They put less than a second back on the clock for after the timeout. Not enough time to do anything so it's too bad the timeout was called. It was one of those games you never forget.
No such thing as less than a second then.

No such thing as less than a second then.
Good point, so let’s just say however much time was left after the timeout wasn’t enough for IU to add to their current score, as we once knew of it, and leave it at that. I apologize for the confusion and any other mental duress I may have caused.

Good point, so let’s just say however much time was left after the timeout wasn’t enough for IU to add to their current score, as we once knew of it, and leave it at that. I apologize for the confusion and any other mental duress I may have caused.
There was time, but it meant a length of the court pass which needed to be caught and shot, all in a second or two. It would’ve been nearly as miraculous as the shot that didn’t count, but it wasn’t an impossibility, since there was sufficient time.

There was time, but it meant a length of the court pass which needed to be caught and shot, all in a second or two. It would’ve been nearly as miraculous as the shot that didn’t count, but it wasn’t an impossibility, since there was sufficient time.
There’s a reason they call it “Laettner’s miracle shot”.

How did they do that?
They backed up the second “hand” from zero to one. I don’t imagine it was too hard to figure out how because I don’t recall a long delay over the timekeeper needing to read the equipment manual. I don’t recall an announcement over the PA, “Do we have a clock expert in the house? Please report to the scorer’s table immediately!” With LESS than a second remaining, the scorekeeper would manually sound the horn right before the zero appeared. How much less than a second would be up to the timekeepers discretion. Next question!

They backed up the second “hand” from zero to one. I don’t imagine it was too hard to figure out how because I don’t recall a long delay over the timekeeper needing to read the equipment manual. I don’t recall an announcement over the PA, “Do we have a clock expert in the house? Please report to the scorer’s table immediately!” With LESS than a second remaining, the scorekeeper would manually sound the horn right before the zero appeared. How much less than a second would be up to the timekeepers discretion. Next question!
It was the same scoreboard that they moved into AH the next season, not a wind up clock with a manual horn (the manual horn was sounded after timeouts and warm ups and other stoppages, while the scoreboard triggered an automatic horn, just like a car horn). Fun memories of a unique place. Used to shoot baskets behind the west stands and wait for the team to come out of the locker room.

1979 NIT Championship Game vs Purdue. Madison Square Garden. Great game with IU holding Purdue scoreless for the last 8:47. Knight takes three straight timeouts to set up the final basket so the Garden was rocking. The play was set for Woodson to take the shot but he was covered. Pass back to Butch Carter who hits a turnaround jumper at the top of the key to put IU ahead 53-52 with four seconds left. It was one of those...No!, No!, No!...YES! moments. Jerry Sichting misses from the corner with one second left. We joined the team on the floor of the garden to celebrate the victory and then left NYC for Fort Lauderdale for spring break. Great week. The players in that game included Woodson, Carter, Wittman, Kitchel, Turner, Grunwald, Tolbert, Joe Barry Carroll, and Sichting.

With fans being allowed back presumably next season, I was reflecting on the best games I have ever been to.

1 a) When we won the big ten outright @UM. I made trey miss the FT, and you can all still send thank you cards.

1 b) painted #5 and my buddy painted # 1 on our chests for earl the pearl as we sat behind the basket for the 05 Duke Acc/big ten challenge. The run we made in the second half, and when Marco dunked the ball to give us the lead..... I’ve never experienced anything like that. To this day when I watch highlights of that run I get chills up and down my body. I have never felt the hall like that, or any environment on earth for that matter. I’d pay half my life savings to experience that feeling again some day.

So what you got?
I have no big time games at Assembly Hall. A couple years ago IU beat Penn State on the road. My wife and I were there. Big Shot Rob saved the game for us down the stretch.

george-mcginnis-vs-uk.jpg

19701212Indiana3.jpg
19701212Indiana2.jpg
b8e162917f52d9b26884e6823b7ee6cc--iu-hoosiers-.jpg

i think all three scoreboards were moved to AH when it opened.

at least they looked like the same ones when AH opened.

i think maybe the south bleaches from 17th st field house were too. (would they still be there today)?

loved 17th st field house. the trick was to sit inside the beltway.

Reactions: abraxis
It was the same scoreboard that they moved into AH the next season, not a wind up clock with a manual horn (the manual horn was sounded after timeouts and warm ups and other stoppages, while the scoreboard triggered an automatic horn, just like a car horn). Fun memories of a unique place. Used to shoot baskets behind the west stands and wait for the team to come out of the locker room.
All I remember is the dust from the sawdust. It felt almost like playing in a barn, at least on the feet. Never did care much for the outside architecture. It reminds me of a Quonset hut of cheap design and really dates itself. The same goes for the Mellencamp Pavilion...sorry, John, though we still thank you.

1979 NIT Championship Game vs Purdue. Madison Square Garden. Great game with IU holding Purdue scoreless for the last 8:47. Knight takes three straight timeouts to set up the final basket so the Garden was rocking. The play was set for Woodson to take the shot but he was covered. Pass back to Butch Carter who hits a turnaround jumper at the top of the key to put IU ahead 53-52 with four seconds left. It was one of those...No!, No!, No!...YES! moments. Jerry Sichting misses from the corner with one second left. We joined the team on the floor of the garden to celebrate the victory and then left NYC for Fort Lauderdale for spring break. Great week. The players in that game included Woodson, Carter, Wittman, Kitchel, Turner, Grunwald, Tolbert, Joe Barry Carroll, and Sichting.
A carload of my PU buddies picked me up the next morning to drive to CO for skiing. I picked up a shirt hot off the press, "IU NIT Champs-1979" with the score after hearing an advertisement right after the game. Needless to say, I wore it on the way there. You should have seen the look on their faces. They were absolutely miserable and I added to their misery with that shirt. BTW, Sichting almost made that last shot. It was one hell of a game and ended well. Joe Barry Carroll was a stud, although somewhat of an enigma..."Joe Barely Cares".

Reactions: Circlejoe

19701212Indiana3.jpg
19701212Indiana2.jpg

i think maybe the south bleaches from 17th st field house were too. (would they still be there today)?

The bleachers

19701212Indiana3.jpg
19701212Indiana2.jpg

I think all of the bleachers there were green, and none were moved. AH only had the rollout bleachers for the first year or two, with behind / across bench ones coming in 72 or 73.

🤔

The bleachers

I think all of the bleachers there were green, and none were moved. AH only had the rollout bleachers for the first year or two, with behind / across bench ones coming in 72 or 73.

pretty sure the south bleachers in 17th st fieldhouse were wood colored like the end zone bleachers in AH up until a few yrs ago. (i'll assume they painted them a few yrs ago. i preferred the wood tone myself).

that's why i said the south bleachers above as the ones moved to AH.

also, the south bleachers were the only ones that didn't have the sawdust beltway between them and the court.

the north, east, and west, bleachers were all green, and seemed of lesser quality imo..

i have no idea the thought process behind having the east and west green bleachers so far removed from the court.

or the beltway itself, either.

i also seem to remember 2 different courts behind the west bleachers.

one facing north-south in front the locker rooms/ administrative area.

and another facing east west, a little east of the north south one.

maybe they just moved the north south court though.

Last edited:
pretty sure the south bleachers in 17th st fieldhouse were wood colored like the end zone bleachers in AH up until a few yrs ago. (i'll assume they painted them a few yrs ago. i preferred the wood tone myself).

that's why i said the south bleachers above as the ones moved to AH.

also, the south bleachers were the only ones that didn't have the sawdust beltway between them and the court.

the north, east, and west, bleachers were all green, and seemed of lesser quality imo..

i have no idea the thought process behind having the east and west green bleachers so far removed from the court.

or the beltway itself, either.

i also seem to remember 2 different courts behind the west bleachers.

one facing north-south in front the locker rooms/ administrative area.

and another facing east west, a little east of the north south one.

maybe they just moved the north south court though.
The AH bleachers were purpose built for the facility so they could retract into the north and south walls behind the baskets. The Fieldhouse bleachers were conventional and required a set up and tear down by workers. They used to take out the end bleachers for the Mini every year, among other things. They weren’t the same.

I was at the Michigan game in '76, the questionable tip in game where Benson just barely beat the buzzer. It preserved our undefeated season. It was the only time I've sat in the sideline bleacher seats. The game was hard fought the whole way. Steve Grote was one tough SOB at guard for Michigan. I was totally beside myself after the game. I had taken a date who really wasn't into basketball and I had to pay her attention when all I really wanted to do is concentrate on the game and jump for joy afterwards but I had to contain myself because of her.

I too was at this 1976 game - still have game program! As I recall, Grote missed the 1 and 1 with MI up two with little time left. I forget the details but the Benson tip was somewhat controversial - but it counted and sent game to OT and ultimately preserved the perfect season. This also might have been the game when Knight nearly ripped Jim Crew’s jersey off his body after a series of turnovers - I think; could be wrong.

The other game I recall was Digger Phelps’s first game as coach of Notre Dame against IU. IU won 94-29 and it could have been worse - ND scored more in second half than first. I remember a moment in game when ND was down by, oh 50 points, and Digger was screaming at his hopeless team - the crowd, understandably quiet during the game, replied to Digger’s screaming with a taunting “Ooooooh”! It was funny.

A game that really meant something to me was hardly a game at all. I can't even remember who IU was playing. It was a precon game in the 98-99 season and I was able to take 2 buddies from work. One of them had just gone through a divorce and simply needed to have a good time. We went to Nick's before the game and had a few pints and then walked with a crowd. It was great. The other guy who was with me was a work friend too. He was from Estonia, and was jolly the way a portly Scandinavian is. He had never seen an American college sporting event, and I took him to Assembly Hall. He had an unbelievable time. He laughed through most of the game. He told me it was because he had never seen people get so involved in sports like with the fight song and yelling at refs- like that and he had never seen cheerleaders before. It was a heck of an experience. I left the game feeling lucky to live in America and lucky to be able to go see IU play. Just a totally different perspective.

Also, for me, the 1993 win over Michigan's Fab 5 was a spectacular game. I sat in row 5 and I was screaming at Webber, Rose, Howard, etc. throughout. At the time it was labeled the "Valentine's day massacre" and I got a tee shirt with IU's senior class accomplishments on it.

Never attended a basketball game in the Fieldhouse as my parents got tickets in 1973 so all of my experiences have been in TAH. Fieldhouse has always been an IU school or track and field related event for me. That portable indoor track is/was pretty cool. I was told it was purchased from the city of indianapolis after olympic trials. That may not be accurate and i don't know if it is still in use.

I too was at this 1976 game - still have game program! As I recall, Grote missed the 1 and 1 with MI up two with little time left. I forget the details but the Benson tip was somewhat controversial - but it counted and sent game to OT and ultimately preserved the perfect season. This also might have been the game when Knight nearly ripped Jim Crew’s jersey off his body after a series of turnovers - I think; could be wrong.

The other game I recall was Digger Phelps’s first game as coach of Notre Dame against IU. IU won 94-29 and it could have been worse - ND scored more in second half than first. I remember a moment in game when ND was down by, oh 50 points, and Digger was screaming at his hopeless team - the crowd, understandably quiet during the game, replied to Digger’s screaming with a taunting “Ooooooh”! It was funny.
The controversy was whether Benson’s tip in was “controlled” or not, something that the rules at the time specified (they were later amended). A pretty incredible atmosphere that day and, yes, JW was assisted in his walk to the bench. Front page of the Sunday Indy Star.

Best Seats - Indiana vs Minnesota - 1/27/1993 - Minny led most of the game, Calbert was off, IU came back and IU got a 5 second closely guarded call by Chris Reynolds to help seal the game. Roommates and I had front row seats behind the basket,

02 Final Four - Obviously Championship game wasn't the greatest, but being at the Final Four and spending a few days in Atl was a good trip!

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
Best Seats - Indiana vs Minnesota - 1/27/1993 - Minny led most of the game, Calbert was off, IU came back and IU got a 5 second closely guarded call by Chris Reynolds to help seal the game. Roommates and I had front row seats behind the basket,

02 Final Four - Obviously Championship game wasn't the greatest, but being at the Final Four and spending a few days in Atl was a good trip!
Next time IU goes to a final four I will be there. Hope I get to attend a final four before I die. Really hope it is next year, :).

Reactions: Fenny72

It was Jimmy Wisman’s jersey, not Crew’s. I’ll never forget the dumbfounded look on his face at that infamous moment preserved in time. Jimmy Wiseman may have inadvertently, in part, kept us from having Larry Bird in the candystripes.

It was Jimmy Wisman’s jersey, not Crew’s. I’ll never forget the dumbfounded look on his face at that infamous moment preserved in time. Jimmy Wiseman may have inadvertently, in part, kept us from having Larry Bird in the candystripes.
Yes indeed - Wisman!

I’ve been to many great IU games. Most of them while I attended between ‘79 and ‘83, but some good ones after too. I’ll have to say the IU win over OSU for the conference championship in ‘80. I sat (mostly stood) behind the basket and the place was rocking.

The AH bleachers were purpose built for the facility so they could retract into the north and south walls behind the baskets. The Fieldhouse bleachers were conventional and required a set up and tear down by workers. They used to take out the end bleachers for the Mini every year, among other things. They weren’t the same.

the south bleachers at the fieldhouse were not the same type as the north, east, or west ends, bleachers.

the south bleachers were the same color as the ones that ended up in AH, while the north, east, and west bleachers, were green.

whether the south bleachers were the fold up type i know not, but they resembled fold up ones and went to, or almost to, the playing floor, rather than being separated by the sawdust beltway like the green ones were..

the green bleachers were not fold up type, and seemed of lesser quality to me than the south bleachers.

i read somewhere sometime that some fieldhouse bleachers were moved to AH.

being the south fieldhouse bleachers were the only ones that looked like bleachers at AH, i presumed it was those, but have no inside info.

the original 3 scoreboards at AH looked identical to the three at the fieldhouse, so i assumed they got moved from the fieldhouse to AH..

i do remember them always dust-moping the F H floor pre game and at halftime, to de dust them.

i also remember an elevated sign by the south wall of the fieldhouse with the bldg capacity on it, followed by the line, "by order of the state fire marshal".

i don't remember what that capacity was though.

the temporary 17th st fieldhouse was very strangely set up seating wise, and not set up like things were at the 7th st fieldhouse, where bleachers all went to the floor.

Last edited:
the south bleachers at the fieldhouse were not the same as the north, east, or west ends, bleachers.

the south bleachers were the same color as the ones that ended up in AH, while the north, east, and west bleachers, were green.

whether the south bleachers were the fold up type i know not, but they resembled fold up ones and went to, or almost to, the playing floor, rather than being separated by the sawdust beltway like the green ones were..

the green bleachers were not fold up type, and seemed of lesser quality to me.

i read somewhere sometime that some fieldhouse bleachers were moved to AH.

being the south fieldhouse bleachers were the only ones that looked like bleachers at AH, i presumed it was those, but have no inside info.

the original 3 scoreboards at AH looked identical to the three at the fieldhouse, so i assumed they got moved from the fieldhouse to AH..

i do remember them always dust-moping the F H floor pre game and at halftime, to de dust them.
None of the bleachers moved, but the scoreboards did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT