ADVERTISEMENT

Too Early 2018-19 B1G Standings Prediction

Nebraska returns pretty much everyone and no one is talking about them.

MSU did lose two lottery picks, but will still have 3 top 40, near five star players and they will be upperclassman (Winston, Langford and Ward) which is really rare in this day and age. They also have McQuaid who will be a senior I think who was a solid four star guy.

Iowa, Wisconsin and Nebraska return all their key dudes I think.

I'd pull out of my butt:

MSU
Nebraska
IU
Wisconsin
Maryland
Meatchicken
Purdump
Iowa
Ohio State
Penn State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Rutgers
Illinois

You know our system .. purely by the numbers.

01. IU
02. MSU
03. Michigan
04. Maryland
05. Nebraska

(the following six are too close to call. Of them, beware of Iowa, if Fran doesn't Fran this team, they could be decent. Wisconsin could move up, if they rehire Bo. Gard is not Ryan.)

06. Wisconsin
07. Purdue
08. Iowa
09. OSU
10. Penn St.
11. Illinois

(Illinois could bottom out and N'western could over achieve based on roster construction. so they could flip places.. )

12. N'Western
13. Minnesota
14. Rutgers

COY Arch
POY Edwards

1st Team
Morgan
Langford
Palmer
Edwards
Happ

Ward of MSU could end up first, if he can play more than 25 a game, and Cash Winston if he cuts his TO's way down.

I agree mostly, except POY won't be on the 7th place team. I'm not sure who I'd vote for this early, but Morgan will have a say in the race, especially if IU wins the BIG

I agree mostly, except POY won't be on the 7th place team. I'm not sure who I'd vote for this early, but Morgan will have a say in the race, especially if IU wins the BIG

It's not a prediction, not really. the only prediction that wasn't numbers based was COY. And that is partially because we should make the biggest jump from last to this year.

When I said by the numbers that's what I mean. Not arguing just explaining. He's the only returning All American in the conference, he's projected as high as 11th in next years draft, and he has phenomenal efficiency stats, especially for his position. Those combined make him the highest rated player in the conference next year. Until someone takes his place, which can happen.

Being the sole go to guy on PU this year probably helps his cause. Not only does he score at a amazing rate, he never turns the ball over.

Last edited:
It's not a prediction, not really. the only prediction that wasn't numbers based was COY. And that is partially because we should make the biggest jump from last to this year.

When I said by the numbers that's what I mean. Not arguing just explaining. He's the only returning All American in the conference, he's projected as high as 11th in next years draft, and he has phenomenal efficiency stats, especially for his position. Those combined make him the highest rated player in the conference next year. Until someone takes his place, which can happen.

Being the sole go to guy on PU this year probably helps his cause. Not only does he score at a amazing rate, he never turns the ball over.

If edwards had stayed in the draft Purdue would have been absolutely ****ed this season. They have a chit roster.

Reactions: T.M.P.
I think that MSU, MI, PU, and Nebraska will not be as good as last year. Maryland, IU, and IL will be better. WI, PSU, IO will be lucky to .500 overall. After that it does not matter. But I will try;

IU - We are back
Maryland - Lot's of potential, but struggle on the road
MSU - Can Izzo keep it together, they could fall apart
MI - no Werner
PU - Edwards coming back provides some hope
NE - Miles is still there coach
OSU - lost too much
WI - They will keep sliding
IL - They will eventually be good
IA - Still a long way to go
MN - Pitino - nothing else to say
NW - At least they will return to their gym
PSU - It is still PSU
RUT - still Rutgers

Yeah I didn't think much about the googlers until I actually looked at what they had. They can throw out a really, really good starting five. Everything should revolve around Coffey who missed the second half of his sophomore season last year and is a potential stud (he was a high 4 star, near five star recruit).

Jordan Murphy was a beast last year and will be a senior.
The aformentioned Amir Coffey.
6'9 Eric Curry should be back (he missed all of last year) or 6'10" Daniel Oturu who was a top 40 player last year and will be a freshman. He actually dominated in the MN state tourney, winning the title while beating and winning MVP over Tre Jones who is a top 10 player going to Duke.
Dupree McBrayer is an experienced shooting guard who was a top 100 recruit I think.
Isaiah Washington was a top 50 recruit and will be taking over the point guard position as a sophomore.

That's a pretty talented and balanced lineup of pretty much high 4 stars

I'm going to have to raise my gopher prediction to at least the middle.

We also have a good shot at landing grad transfer, Geno Crandall, who averaged 16.5 ppg and 3.6 apg on good shooting numbers at North Dakota.

Pitino already landed a solid grad transfer in Brock Stull, who averaged 13.4 ppg at UW-M. He'll likely be the backup at the 2/3.

If we land Crandall, the rotation would look something like:

Crandall/Washington
McBrayer/Stull
Coffey/Stull/Hurt
Murphy/Curry
Oturu/Curry

Reactions: TommyCracker
I think that MSU, MI, PU, and Nebraska will not be as good as last year. Maryland, IU, and IL will be better. WI, PSU, IO will be lucky to .500 overall. After that it does not matter. But I will try;

IU - We are back
MI - no Werner
OSU - lost too much
PSU - It is still PSU
RUT - still Rutgers
I don't know why you would think UI will be better because they are down to 8 or 9 scholarship players.

IU - We are back
MI - no Werner
OSU - lost too much
PSU - It is still PSU
RUT - still Rutgers

Illinois might be the worst team in the B10 next year.

You think IU had front court problems last year, wait till you see what UI plays next year......

To answer some questions raised in regards to...

Wisconsin, I believe they we're ravished by injuries last year (Trice and their freshman point guard Davidson who is going to be an annoying but great conference player played with one arm last year) and finished strong. Gard isn't Bo, at all, but he's shown so far that he finishes strong which is a sign of a good coach. Happ will be in the POY conversation.

Iowa...Fran has been secretly recruiting really well for Iowa of the last two decades. Plus as someone mentioned, he's not going anywhere til his sons go through the program. I believe one (Connor) is a four star and the other (Pat) is a five star by some publications. He might be a senior this year or maybe a freshman. Anyway they have a lot of young talent that's developing. They should take a decent leap this year and be ready to compete for a conf title next year especially if Cook stays through his senior year.

Nebraska beat the living piss out of Minnesota at the barn last year when the gophers were ranked near the top ten and had the rapist and Coffey at full speed. They also went to OT I believe with Kansas.

They are returning the conference's leading scorer in Palmer. A six nine five star recruit in Copeland who should have some Keita Bates Diop in him this year. A senior four star point guard in Watson who's solid and an explosive and lanky sophomore in Roby. That's a hell of a lineup. They have a senior five star, we have a freshman five star. They have a proven point guard and our point guard might be a plus 100 ranked freshman who just lost to a Kentucky team that has no high major prospects.

If the Cornhole chuckers aren't top 4 than Miles really f'd them up.

I feel to be a real threat you need three real threats. Let's count them.

MSU - Cass, Langford, Ward, Mcgloin
Nebraska - Palmer, Copeland, Watson, Roby
Indiana - Langford, Morgan, ????
Wisconsin - Happ, Davidson, Trice
Maryland - Cowan, Fernando, a couple five star freshmen (Heurter REALLY f'd them this year)
Meatchicken - Matthews, Simpson, if Poole takes the leap that would really help them. I also thought Tesch was really impressive in the tournament.
Purdump - Edwards, Haarms??, Eastern??? Only Edwards is proven but I expect Eastern to play a big role.
Iowa - Moss, Cook, their sophomore guard who I can't remember. Garza is a really nice center prospect too.
Penn State - Stevens, their really good center Watkins??
Northwestern - is Law still there?
OSU - the Wesson brothers (I think), I honestly don't know their roster. Is that dude who hit the miracle three against us back?
Illinois - Frazier, a five star freshman or maybe he's next year
Minnesota - Coffey, Murphy, McBrayer, Washington?? Curry should be back I think. Daniel Oturu is a REALLY good player too but who knows what he'll do as a freshman. The gophs could suprise if Washington (who was a top 50 prospect) can take over for Mason his sophomore season.
Rutgers - we're going to get out of the cellar until what's his nuts left and signed with an agent. They have good pieces and I like their coach but it's still a year or two away. They won't roll over like in the past (hell we saw it up close last year).

Anybody have any tidbits to share on the conference teams? I admittedly don't know the rosters as well as I should or as I will this fall.

Trice and Davidson were 100% healthy the first 10 games of the season last year.....during that time Wisconsin went 4-6.

The last 10 games? Wisconsin went 5-5. They beat 1 NCAA team all year.

They bring in no one that will contribute this year.

I just don't see a top of conference finish for them.

Illinois might be the worst team in the B10 next year.

You think IU had front court problems last year, wait till you see what UI plays next year......

I think Bezhanishvili is going to be a good big for Illinois. It would be better if he didn't have to play 30 minutes a game as a frosh, but he is already pretty strong with a high skill level so I would be a little surprised if he is a dumpster fire.

Unless Underwood finds another frontcourt piece over the summer, they do have problems up front even if Bezhanishvili is super solid as a frosh. That said, it seems like they are pretty loaded everywhere else.

The wings and guards, I think, will be terrific by Big 10 season. Maybe I'm wrong, which I often am, but I think they are a good big away from challenging at the top of the conference. At worst they are a year away type of team, which isn't so bad unless you're perpetually a year away:)

Reactions: T.M.P.
If edwards had stayed in the draft Purdue would have been absolutely ****ed this season. They have a chit roster.

Well, PU has generally made their name punching above their weight class imo. They've had some good rosters (Baby Boilers, TnT), but usually I feel they exceed expectations based on talent. Was Edwards even that highly regarded coming out (who can blame him w the talent in W Laffy!)? I thought he was a 3 star. V Edwards and Haas i think were both top 100, but those 3 coupled with PJ Thompson and Dakota Mathias, hardly equates to conference challenger to me, but there they were last year. I think the criticisms of Painter and PU in the tourney are legit, but they generally exceed expectations in my book.

Well, PU has generally made their name punching above their weight class imo. They've had some good rosters (Baby Boilers, TnT), but usually I feel they exceed expectations based on talent. Was Edwards even that highly regarded coming out (who can blame him w the talent in W Laffy!)? I thought he was a 3 star. V Edwards and Haas i think were both top 100, but those 3 coupled with PJ Thompson and Dakota Mathias, hardly equates to conference challenger to me, but there they were last year. I think the criticisms of Painter and PU in the tourney are legit, but they generally exceed expectations in my book.
They are going to be offensively challenged next year. If teams can at least slow down Shorty Edwards, then PU is going to have a tough time.

Reactions: SNU0821
Actually. I think the Big Ten will be better than we think. I'm glad IU got the recruiting class that we did, because believe me, we will need it.

We also have a good shot at landing grad transfer, Geno Crandall, who averaged 16.5 ppg and 3.6 apg on good shooting numbers at North Dakota.

Pitino already landed a solid grad transfer in Brock Stull, who averaged 13.4 ppg at UW-M. He'll likely be the backup at the 2/3.

Crandall/Washington
McBrayer/Stull
Coffey/Stull/Hurt
Murphy/Curry
Oturu/Curry

I think you guys will bounce back and suprise some people.

Underwood and his crazy defenses will keep them in most of their games. Still hoping for that downward spiral to hit MSU.

Crandall/Washington
McBrayer/Stull
Coffey/Stull/Hurt
Murphy/Curry
Oturu/Curry
Nice roster, looks better than Rutgers.

Enjoy 13th place ..

On a separate note, Andy Enfield is tearing it up on the recruiting trail. Keep an eye out for SC. Watch a game if you can, they're fun to see in action.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT