ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean Report

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Since we have a 2 week hiatus, I’ll contribute a brief view of a favorite subject on this board, Tom Crean.

Disclaimer: I’ve been an IU fan since Bryant, Dees, Neal and Obremskey. I’m a carpetbagger living in Atlanta. I have a minor rooting interest in Georgia Tech. I would like to see Tom Crean elevate Georgia (UGA) so that UGA can take down Kentucky on a regular basis.

I attended the GT-UGA match at Georgia Tech (GT) on December 23. KenPom has GT at 102 and UGA at 112, ratings totally consistent with the game played. UGA won 70-59. The game itself reflected the play of 2 mediocre teams.

Aside: I do not understand basketball. In the last 3 matches Georgia Tech has lost to Gardner Webb at home, taken down Arkansas at Bud Walton and lost to their arch enemy (here think Purdue) at home. There is no theory of everything that explains these outcomes.

Here are a few Tom Crean related observations:
  • UGA did not play fast. They did not push the ball up the floor at all.
  • UGA suffered 16 turnovers. About 8 of them occurred when big men brought the ball below their waist.
  • Sadly for those waiting with bated breath, I do not have a deflections count to report.
  • Even more alarming, no +/- counts are available.
  • UGA shot 45.5%, 27.8% and 83.3%, the first 2 being IU unacceptable numbers. I suppose IU would take 83.3% on free throws.
  • GT shot 32.3%, 18.8% and 70%, the first 2 numbers being wretched. The root cause is more ineptness than UGA defense. GT will need divine intervention when they play Duke.
  • UGA has a 6-11, sophomore, point guard/point forward named Nicolas Claxton who might be interesting to watch. He has a Scotty Pippen like game, less the precision Pippen shooting. Claxton had 13 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists and 6 blocks against GT.
I understand that many of you will be profoundly disappointed regarding the absence of numbers on deflections and +/-. I tried to discover statistics that Georgia Tech tracks on first side offensive efficiency, second side offensive efficiency, etc. Sadly, these statistics are proprietary and unpublished.

Please don’t thank me for the Tom Crean report. I’m just here to serve.

images

I caught a little bit of the game before I left for the IU game. Even though you didnt have an accurate count of deflections, they must have mentioned the use of the metric deflections about 4 times during 15 minutes of watching the game. I kid you not. As I somewhat understand the importance of the metric, I still consider is useless unless you are only measuring your teams aggressiveness on defense. I wish coach Crean best of luck, just not too much

Since we have a 2 week hiatus, I’ll contribute a brief view of a favorite subject on this board, Tom Crean.

Disclaimer: I’ve been an IU fan since Bryant, Dees, Neal and Obremskey. I’m a carpetbagger living in Atlanta. I have a minor rooting interest in Georgia Tech. I would like to see Tom Crean elevate Georgia (UGA) so that UGA can take down Kentucky on a regular basis.

I attended the GT-UGA match at Georgia Tech (GT) on December 23. KenPom has GT at 102 and UGA at 112, ratings totally consistent with the game played. UGA won 70-59. The game itself reflected the play of 2 mediocre teams.

Aside: I do not understand basketball. In the last 3 matches Georgia Tech has lost to Gardner Webb at home, taken down Arkansas at Bud Walton and lost to their arch enemy (here think Purdue) at home. There is no theory of everything that explains these outcomes.

• UGA suffered 16 turnovers. About 8 of them occurred when big men brought the ball below their waist.
  • Sadly for those waiting with bated breath, I do not have a deflections count to report.
  • UGA shot 45.5%, 27.8% and 83.3%, the first 2 being IU unacceptable numbers. I suppose IU would take 83.3% on free throws.
  • GT shot 32.3%, 18.8% and 70%, the first 2 numbers being wretched. The root cause is more ineptness than UGA defense. GT will need divine intervention when they play Duke.
  • UGA has a 6-11, sophomore, point guard/point forward named Nicolas Claxton who might be interesting to watch. He has a Scotty Pippen like game, less the precision Pippen shooting. Claxton had 13 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists and 6 blocks against GT.
I understand that many of you will be profoundly disappointed regarding the absence of numbers on deflections and +/-. I tried to discover statistics that Georgia Tech tracks on first side offensive efficiency, second side offensive efficiency, etc. Sadly, these statistics are proprietary and unpublished.

Reactions: GregHaggard

I followed Georgia Tech back in the day because a Washington Indiana kid named Craig, "Noodle" Neal played basketball there. Craig recently was the head coach at New Mexico and am not sure what he is doing now. His Dad was his high school coach and the PE teacher. He used to make us do stair laps in Washington's gym which seats 7k or so. I get tired just thinking about it.

I followed Georgia Tech back in the day because a Washington Indiana kid named Craig, "Noodle" Neal played basketball there. Craig recently was the head coach at New Mexico and am not sure what he is doing now. His Dad was his high school coach and the PE teacher. He used to make us do stair laps in Washington's gym which seats 7k or so. I get tired just thinking about it.
Being a BNL grad, I have been to the Hatchet House many times for Regional games. I would not want to have to run those stairs either. Many a good game vs the Hatchets in the day. Used to be a very big rivalry. Sad those days are gone.

I caught a little bit of the game before I left for the IU game. Even though you didnt have an accurate count of deflections, they must have mentioned the use of the metric deflections about 4 times during 15 minutes of watching the game. I kid you not. As I somewhat understand the importance of the metric, I still consider is useless unless you are only measuring your teams aggressiveness on defense. I wish coach Crean best of luck, just not too much
2.5:1 deflections to TOs is the target.

Being a personal friend of Graig's I use to sit in the front row of those G.T games with Mark Price's mom and dad .With the big games.Say with Carolina etc.Made it extra great .As they played those at the Old Omni.The Hawks home court..Tech was a big deal in at Atlanta at that time.Because they were nationally good. ..(82IU) Beating Bedford in the 1977 morning regional game.After being down 15 or more in the 3rd qt..Is in my top 5 Hatchet wins ever in the Hatchet House..Bedford was always tuff in those day's.
Graig has a gig in Europe.As his buyout from New Mexico.Had a no coaching clause for one year.

Reactions: 82IU
I think Crean will have some success at Georgia. But the chance of him winning anything on a regular basis is small. But some of his positives should help a southern football school get enthused about basketball. Eventually, whenever he finally has a really good team and they pair UGA vs. IU in the tourney, I hope IU goes zone, full game.

I think Crean will have some success at Georgia. But the chance of him winning anything on a regular basis is small. But some of his positives should help a southern football school get enthused about basketball. Eventually, whenever he finally has a really good team and they pair UGA vs. IU in the tourney, I hope IU goes zone, full game.

Crean will not have success at Georgia.

You don't think he can convince a couple Thomas Bryant / Noah Vonleh talents to go to UGA? I think he will.

So what? That doesn't do anything for a team that doesn't have anything around them. He had 2 lottery picks and 6 guys total who cashed checks professionally and still got his brains beat in by a 2-3 that everyone knew was coming.

So what? That doesn't do anything for a team that doesn't have anything around them. He had 2 lottery picks and 6 guys total who cashed checks professionally and still got his brains beat in by a 2-3 that everyone knew was coming.
A lot of teams have been beat by that zone over the years. They lost like so many other top seeds have and we aren't supposed to like it, but those were some fun teams to watch with Hulls, Vic, Cody, and Christian. We can feel bad because they achieved the #1 ranking and lost or feel good that IU had a team that was ranked #1 for a good part of the year. Pretty incredible considering the low IU hit in 2008/09.

Crean will not have success at Georgia.
It all depends on your definition of "success at Georgia." And I'm thinking that he will improve upon what they have had. Will they compete against the likes of UK? Very doubtful. But while they'll lose games they have no business losing, they'll also win a few that they had no business winning. And I believe in Georgia, that will likely be considered a success.

Do not understand your comment at all. Have no disdain for Crean. Glad for what he did for us during our darkest hour. Glad he moved on. Wish a lot of other people would. Many comments about him are classless.
My apologies, I took your quote as another stab at IU's former coach that didn't cheat.

what! won't you just panic when his guards start repeatedly switching positions around the perimeter ?

Do not understand your comment at all. Have no disdain for Crean. Glad for what he did for us during our darkest hour. Glad he moved on. Wish a lot of other people would. Many comments about him are classless.
you show your lack of understanding of the game. many high school coaches could have done more. he wasted 9 years of my iu rootin' tootin' life. i will mock him whenever i please. i feel little sympathy for grossly overpaid multi-millionaires

Last edited:
A lot of teams have been beat by that zone over the years. They lost like so many other top seeds have and we aren't supposed to like it, but those were some fun teams to watch with Hulls, Vic, Cody, and Christian. We can feel bad because they achieved the #1 ranking and lost or feel good that IU had a team that was ranked #1 for a good part of the year. Pretty incredible considering the low IU hit in 2008/09.
the fact that other teams lost to syracuse is irrelevant. you don't recognize the technical mistakes made by crean's teams against all manner of zones.

you show your lack of understanding of the game. many high school coaches could have done more. he wasted 9 years of my iu rootin' tootin' life. i will mock him whenever i please. i feel little sympathy for grossly overpaid multi-millionaires
I played basketball, I coached basketball, I refereed high school and college for twenty years,and have been an IU season ticket holder for 30 years. Maybe I don't understand basketball, but I doubt what you say. I do understand people. Get over it.

I played basketball, I coached basketball, I refereed high school and college for twenty years,and have been an IU season ticket holder for 30 years. Maybe I don't understand basketball, but I doubt what you say. I do understand people. Get over it.
sorry to break it to you but you weren't very good at it. and as far as getting over it i'll just say this. make me

I live in Atlanta and watched the Georgia coaching-hire situation.

IMHO, Georgia should have hired a better coach.

The hiring of Crean showed that UGA either does not take basketball seriously or doesn't know basketball...probably both.

I’m a carpetbagger living in Atlanta. I have a minor rooting interest in Georgia Tech. I would like to see Tom Crean elevate Georgia (UGA) so that UGA can take down Kentucky on a regular basis.

I like your post. It is well-reasoned and very well written.

Does anyone here really think that "UGA can take down Kentucky on a regular basis" ?

Georgia trails the all-time series 26-126.

Aside from a 3-game win "streak" against Kentucky 1923-25, Georgia has beaten Kentucky two games in a row three times in almost 100 years.

On the other hand, the potential is there for Georgia to become a power.

Most people are not aware that Georgia is the 8th most populous state...ahead of Michigan, North Carolina, etc.

Metro Atlanta has 6 million people -- 50% more than the entire state of Kentucky.

UK has had legendary players from Georgia (Bill Spivey, Kenny Walker), great players (Jodie Meeks, Jeff Sheppard) and several very good players (Gerald Fitch, Randolph Morris).

UGA could compete for SEC titles with players only from metro Atlanta.

With all due respect to Tom Crean sympathizers, I just do not think Crean is much of an upgrade.

Love your User ID.

I live in Atlanta and watched the Georgia coaching-hire situation.

IMHO, Georgia should have hired a better coach.

The hiring of Crean showed that UGA either does not take basketball seriously or doesn't know basketball...probably both.
Geogia is a football school in a football state.

Geogia is a football school in a football state.

You are correct.

But so is Florida, Texas, Tennessee, LSU...

Teams from Tennessee and Alabama are in the top 10 right now. Who knows what their post-season success will be, but do you really look forward to facing them in the NCAA tournament?

Teams from the SEC have won 3 NCAA titles since the most recent BIG title.

Does the BIG have better coaches than the SEC? Pearl, Howland, Avery Johnson, Barnes, Calipari ? Is Crean better than those guys?

You are correct.

But so is Florida, Texas, Tennessee, LSU...

Teams from Tennessee and Alabama are in the top 10 right now. Who knows what their post-season success will be, but do you really look forward to facing them in the NCAA tournament?

Teams from the SEC have won 3 NCAA titles since the most recent BIG title.

Does the BIG have better coaches than the SEC? Pearl, Howland, Avery Johnson, Barnes, Calipari ? Is Crean better than those guys?
The difference, Basketball is something to do before Spring Football in the SEC. Baskerball is #1 in Indiana 12 months out of the year. AAU, High School, College, NBA.

The difference, Basketball is something to do before Spring Football in the SEC. Baskerball is #1 in Indiana 12 months out of the year. AAU, High School, College, NBA.

I agree that "basketball is #1 in Indiana."

and the stereotype is ...and "Basketball is something to do before Spring Football in the SEC...".

The thread is about Tom Crean.

Do you really think that he will be successful at Georgia?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT