ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean-Hoosier Hysterics

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
Have you guys heard that Podcast? It was pretty good. Tom tells some pretty good stories.

I think the funniest one was about him trying to get “Live Bats” to fly around the Locker Room. Lol. That’s some Pedro Cerrano stuff.

I've said for several years not I'll never understand the hatred shown that man in Bloomington. He was only guilty of not being RMK...
Crean, IU with two high first round NBA picks, IU-Syracuse, NCAA Sweet 16, IU no clue or prep on how to handle a 2-3 zone. That is indicative why IU fans despise Crean, amongst many, many other issues.

He was a terrible coach. But is that why everyone despised him? That’s what I don’t understand

The people who knew him didn't hate him personally. He is by all first-hand accounts I am familar with a decent guy. People who don't know him only know his performance as a coach. What was to like?

Reactions: jimmygoiu
The people who knew him didn't hate him personally. He is by all first-hand accounts I am familar with a decent guy. People who don't know him only know his performance as a coach. What was to like?
I know I didn't like the lack of defense and turnovers on offense. I was at a game in AH where Troy Williams just stood flat footed while the player from Eastern Washington??? just drove right by him to the basket. I actually yelled out, "Come on. Move your feet!" I embarrassed my daughter a lot but others who were sitting near us looked at me and nodded, "Yes, you are exactly right".

or prep on how to handle a 2-3 zone
He over prepped and came up with a stupid scheme and didn;t adjust correctly when it wasn't working. Crean never under prepped or under coached ... he almost always over-did both. Dude was a spaz ..

The first rule of prepping for a zone is not to make it seem unbeatable by over hyping it. It's exactly what he did .. and when they didn't give Cody the foul calls, he didn't adjust. It was a stupid game plan to begin with ..

He should have just deemphasized it a bit and worked more on defense.

• Haha
Reactions: mk23 and mathboy
He over prepped and came up with a stupid scheme and didn;t adjust correctly when it wasn't working. Crean never under prepped or under coached ... he almost always over-did both. Dude was a spaz ..

The first rule of prepping for a zone is not to make it seem unbeatable by over hyping it. It's exactly what he did .. and when they didn't give Cody the foul calls, he didn't adjust. It was a stupid game plan to begin with ..

dumb

I agree with this 100%. His fault was in game adjustments not game prep. By all accounts he over prepped. If you listen to the other players interviews about that game they mentioned their only regret was not just playing their game. The interview that really changed my mind on coach Crean was Yogi's. You could tell how much adoration he had for his coach. Don't get me wrong it was time for a change when he left but you also have to recognize the successes he had. He is not a HOF coach but he is a very good coach. I really liked what he said about recruiting the whole family. Parents who have good work ethics will often produce children that do as well. I believe that was his secret to finding his diamonds in the rough.

He was a terrible coach. But is that why everyone despised him? That’s what I don’t understand
#1 people didn't like his coaching ability...that gets you trouble with IU grads fast.
#2 He was socially awkward and simply made you cringe at least once a day.

He is a good man and the kids liked him. he had some sucess which is why the BOT initially pushed back on Glass wanting to move on him until another Trustee stepped up and supported Fred.

Roster construction was one issue. As a coach it is your responsibility to plan for future rosters. You cannot be caught flat footed when a player goes pro.

In game strategy was another. Why the need to switch defenses during possessions? You are complicating things., and limiting your ability to execute.

Accentuate player strengths/mask weaknesses. Take Troy Williams. He had strengths as a player. It is a coaches responsibility to put the player in a position to maximize them. Having him put the ball on the floor and dribbling into traffic is accentuating his weakness.

Demeanor was another issue. I was at a road game at NU one year. WRA is pretty intimate. Small concession stand next to the stairs and the door to the court. Entire team walked within inches of me to start 2 half. Let’s just say that Crean looked a little odd. I’m not saying he was a bad person. Just that he gave off a strange vibe.

Reactions: mk23 and ulrey
Crean didn't build a consistently performing program. His recruiting was oftentimes awful in terms of character of the players he recruited or their talent level. He recruited so many players that were "diamonds in the rough" that could never be smoothed out, ever. He couldn't/didn't recruit great in state players and alienated HS coaches and AAU coaches, His teams mastered the turnover from an art to science and his team defense was terrible. I always think back to the driving Troy Williams who ended up on the floor so often at the end of drives he was personally responsible for the opposing team's outstanding fast break stats. I could go on and on. Maybe as a person he was a good guy and I know players liked him, but why the transfer issues he now has at Georgia? Something about Crean always seemed like modern day snake oil salesman. Maybe it was his phony year round "tan" (speaks to a pretty vain personality). I don't hate him or really despise him personally, but he didn't earn the money he was paid.

Well there was a recent interview - really Crean is a good person as most all former players speak highly of him (Devonte being an exception, but even he is measured). He is a good enough coach to get paid $million for a very long time, and he’s a proven recruiter and known for player development. Now personally, I couldn’t stand the post Vic/Zeller years. Erratic, turnover frenzied sloppy play, which lead to inexplicable results - I was tired of it, as were many others and his removal had to happen. But I give him credit for taking a program that was left for dead after Kelvin and reviving it; he left the program in much better shape than the one he inherited. No reason to hate - save that motion for important things.

Well there was a recent interview - really Crean is a good person as most all former players speak highly of him (Devonte being an exception, but even he is measured). He is a good enough coach to get paid $million for a very long time, and he’s a proven recruiter and known for player development. Now personally, I couldn’t stand the post Vic/Zeller years. Erratic, turnover frenzied sloppy play, which lead to inexplicable results - I was tired of it, as were many others and his removal had to happen. But I give him credit for taking a program that was left for dead after Kelvin and reviving it; he left the program in much better shape than the one he inherited. No reason to hate - save that motion for important things.
This is why I respect him even though overall the results were disappointing

For me it was the scene after the Michigan where he went into psycho look at me mode. How did you take that situation?
The look he gave after the Wat Shot was weird as hell. That was the ultimate psycho look.

tom-crean-facegif.gif

Reactions: birdforbogey
and for being a moron
that moron brought IUBB from the absolute depths to at least respectability and some exciting years... Terrible game day coach... What I'm referring to is the vitriolic hatred so many posters throw at him.. He's a terrible coach at UGA also (I live just up the road from Athens) but by all accounts he's a pretty decent guy

I've said for several years not I'll never understand the hatred shown that man in Bloomington. He was only guilty of not being RMK...
It’s a lot more than that. The hatred afterwards was a result of the love for him for 7-8 years when he started. The IU fan base was a full blown abandon your family and move to a desert compound cult for at least 6-7 years. That’s over 2,000 days.

He was better than Calipari. Produced pros like no other. Did it “the right way”…whatever that means. Was the second coming of Knight. Multiple titles guaranteed. The whole nine yards.

When he turned out to not be that people revolted. Now they’re trying to rewrite history as if it never happened. Similar to a good recruit who is made out to be a future All American by biased fans and then being criticized by irrational fans for not living up to their unfair standards. We’ve all seen that story before. The Crean hatred now is a direct result of the blind ignorance when he was our coach.

It’s a lot more than that. The hatred afterwards was a result of the love for him for 7-8 years when he started. The IU fan base was a full blown abandon your family and move to a desert compound cult for at least 6-7 years. That’s over 2,000 days.

He was better than Calipari. Produced pros like no other. Did it “the right way”…whatever that means. Was the second coming of Knight. Multiple titles guaranteed. The whole nine yards.

When he turned out to not be that people revolted. Now they’re trying to rewrite history as if it never happened. Similar to a good recruit who is made out to be a future All American by biased fans and then being criticized by irrational fans for not living up to their unfair standards. We’ve all seen that story before. The Crean hatred now is a direct result of the blind ignorance when he was our coach.
As usual you apply generalities and ASSUMPTIONS that facts don't necessarily bear out. Certainly not all of us drank the Kool Aid. I, and many, many other IU fans, despised his teams lack of defense and number of turnovers, stupid, stupid turnovers from day one. I don't hate Crean, I just think IU admin, Fred Glass, did a terrible job selecting him. He had one good Marquette team led by one outstanding player, Dwayne Wade and that was it. Marquette folks told me at the time they were glad he left, they were underwhelmed to say the least. Later on, well before he was let go, it was apparent that character was not a major criteria in his recruiting. The fact that players on his teams consistently got into trouble off the court was a major red flag. Did he land some good players with good work ethics, yes a few, and a few that turned into NBA players, not that many, but many others had no business on IU's team.

But you were the self appointed leader of the cult when he was at IU…

Well you and IUScott who had to change his name.
Today's trip into imagination land brought to you by Fpeaugh. Did you run out of ordfan? If so, try fpeaugh, FDA approved as an ordfan troll substitute since early 2021. Try it today!

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

I knew you would take the bait . Dumbest fish in the pond, first fish in the frying pan.

Still waiting on those old posts that show myself (and others) as blind loyalists to the Temple of Crean. No rhetoric needed, just some actual links to verify your repetitive (yet unsubstantiated) claims. Waiting...Waiting....

I knew you would take the bait . Dumbest fish in the pond, first fish in the frying pan.

Still waiting on those old posts that show myself (and others) as blind loyalists to the Temple of Crean. No rhetoric needed, just some actual links to verify your repetitive (yet unsubstantiated) claims. Waiting...Waiting....
I’m not going back 6-12 years to find the posts. Plus it was on premium board back then and I don’t have access now.

Anyone who was here then and is even remotely honest with themself knows what I’m talking about. You can’t rewrite history to fit your current narrative.

As usual you apply generalities and ASSUMPTIONS that facts don't necessarily bear out. Certainly not all of us drank the Kool Aid. I, and many, many other IU fans, despised his teams lack of defense and number of turnovers, stupid, stupid turnovers from day one. I don't hate Crean, I just think IU admin, Fred Glass, did a terrible job selecting him. He had one good Marquette team led by one outstanding player, Dwayne Wade and that was it. Marquette folks told me at the time they were glad he left, they were underwhelmed to say the least. Later on, well before he was let go, it was apparent that character was not a major criteria in his recruiting. The fact that players on his teams consistently got into trouble off the court was a major red flag. Did he land some good players with good work ethics, yes a few, and a few that turned into NBA players, not that many, but many others had no business on IU's team.
You joined in 2020. IUScott is that you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT