ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean & Georgia

Oh creany has got something for the bulldogs. He is about to pull a few recruits out his ass. That used cars salesman is gonna walk into a home talk like he is Jesus’s brother, and get some kid to work his ass off. They will make the tourney and win a game or two this year or next. Just enough for a fatttty extension.

Reactions: mk23
Nobody wants to play for Crean; former players and Georgia's Media are calling for Crean's head.

https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2021/0...-it-again-former-players-and-media-sound-off/
I wish people on here were as disgusted with our former coach Calvin. He goes to the final four and some people say,"we should have never gotten rid of him". At least Crean took the job after Calvin wrecked the program. I honor him for that at least. Sure we had tons of turnovers and the defense was atrocious. But he did brings us back from the basement.

Tom Crean is not a loser.... he always wins the press conference... and apparently, the interview! Turned that in to some really nice paydays.

Reactions: IUSUMMERS
I wish people on here were as disgusted with our former coach Calvin. He goes to the final four and some people say,"we should have never gotten rid of him". At least Crean took the job after Calvin wrecked the program. I honor him for that at least. Sure we had tons of turnovers and the defense was atrocious. But he did brings us back from the basement.

Crean texts at church. Fans like you wrecked the program, dont get it twisted. Basketball is about Wins and losses, nothing more. Especially at IU.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Crean texts at church. Fans like you wrecked the program, dont get it twisted. Basketball is about Wins and losses, nothing more. Especially at IU.
Would you rather win with Sampson or be respectable under Crean? At least he brought us back to respectability and he didn't cheat and wreck the program. How did fans like me wreck the program? Are you saying cheating should be expected even encouraged or at least dismissed and looked the other way?

Reactions: INwheels

Calvin?

As in, Calvin & Hobbes?

Would you rather win with Sampson or be respectable under Crean? At least he brought us back to respectability and he didn't cheat and wreck the program. How did fans like me wreck the program? Are you saying cheating should be expected even encouraged or at least dismissed and looked the other way?

You are an idiot. Crean cheated and had more arrests in a 2 year period than Sampson has had in his career. What players got arrested under Sampson?

Under Crean: Yogi, Stan, Troy, Emmitt, Davis, Hanner (3 times).

Crean cheated with Ahope, Thomas Bryant and Noah Vonleh. When did Sampson cheat? He for sure didn't pay Gordon.

Reactions: Bill4411
He certainly has an incredible ability to fool lots of people, both as a coach and person.

Dan Dakich said working for Calvin was easier than with Coach Knight. Calvin handled losing a lot better than Knight did. Yet Dakich would not want him back at IU. He said there was a ton of stuff that showed he was not right for IU. Now at Houston he has found a home. They had Guy Lewis there for years.
KELVIN, was here such a short time and won, and then was gone: clean break. Crean was here for a long time, trended up and then began the slow slide down and was a charlatan. And, hypocrites who wear their religion on their sleeve annoy people.

Not sure what your argument is, but neither was right for IU.

Would you rather win with Sampson or be respectable under Crean?
Is this a trick question? I want to win. This isn't church league.

Texting a few recruits (something that is legal now) should not have resulted in the shitshow that ensued at IU. It's the reason Kansas, North Carolina, ect don't get in trouble no matter what. When the NCAA goes after them they don't bow down, the tell em to go kick rocks.

Texting a few recruits (something that is legal now) should not have resulted in the shitshow that ensued at IU. It's the reason Kansas, North Carolina, ect don't ever get in trouble no matter what. When the NCAA goes after them they don't bow down, the tell em to go kick rocks.

What pisses me off the most is the narrative that fools like this dude have made up that our players during that span were drug dealers and rapists.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
You are an idiot. Crean cheated and had more arrests in a 2 year period than Sampson has had in his career. What players got arrested under Sampson?

Under Crean: Yogi, Stan, Troy, Emmitt, Davis, Hanner (3 times).

Crean cheated with Ahope, Thomas Bryant and Noah Vonleh. When did Sampson cheat? He for sure didn't pay Gordon.
where is there evidence Crean cheated with those players? This is the first I have heard of it. Also yes they had some incidents. Bob Knight had incidents with players too. His own son was caught drinking under age. So

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
What pisses me off the most is the narrative that fools like this dude have made up that our players during that span were drug dealers and rapists.
Are you saying they were high character individuals? Who said anything about drug dealing and rape? Dakich talked about how there was no institutional control over these players. In other words they did as they wanted. If they didn't want to go to class they didn't. If they wanted to smoke weed they did. Coach Calvin didn't care. At least with Crean when kids did wrong they were reprimanded.

Dan Dakich said working for Calvin was easier than with Coach Knight. Calvin handled losing a lot better than Knight did. Yet Dakich would not want him back at IU. He said there was a ton of stuff that showed he was not right for IU. Now at Houston he has found a home. They had Guy Lewis there for years.

I am not surprised at your revisionist historical take on that charlatan. You do like Spurgeon, after all.

Ask Matt Roth or a number of other kids and their parents about Crean...

He's televangelist disguised as a "b-ball coach". He's a phony.

I am not surprised at your revisionist historical take on that charlatan. You do like Spurgeon, after all.

Ask Matt Roth or a number of other kids and their parents about Crean...

He's televangelist disguised as a "b-ball coach". He's a phony.
Almost anyone with a working nose could tell what kind of a person Crean was within a minute or two.

Reactions: IUSUMMERS and GGary

Texting a few recruits (something that is legal now) should not have resulted in the shitshow that ensued at IU. It's the reason Kansas, North Carolina, ect don't get in trouble no matter what. When the NCAA goes after them they don't bow down, the tell em to go kick rocks.
You make a good point. Perhaps IU should have never admitted to anything. But with the lack of institutional control you have to ask yourself what would the program look like if THAT coach was still in the coach's chair? I want to win even more than you do. I remember when IU was very good. I do remember IU beating Syracuse a team which cheated like crazy under Boeheim and that thrills me. We didn't cheat and won. When the Fab 5 all had new cars driving around IU beat them while Calbert Cheaney took the bus or walked places.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Are you saying they were high character individuals? Who said anything about drug dealing and rape? Dakich talked about how there was no institutional control over these players. In other words they did as they wanted. If they didn't want to go to class they didn't. If they wanted to smoke weed they did. Coach Calvin didn't care. At least with Crean when kids did wrong they were reprimanded.

Very high character players played for Sampson. Suhr and Earl Calloway were on Sampson's first year squad and I knew, and talked with in some fashion, every sing one of those player players. There has been no one of higher character than Earl Calloway to play for IU since. That I can almost assure you.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
You make a good point. Perhaps IU should have never admitted to anything. But with the lack of institutional control you have to ask yourself what would the program look like if THAT coach was still in the coach's chair? I want to win even more than you do. I remember when IU was very good. I do remember IU beating Syracuse a team which cheated like crazy under Boeheim and that thrills me. We didn't cheat and won. When the Fab 5 all had new cars driving around IU beat them while Calbert Cheaney took the bus or walked places.

Non IU fans have a less holy remembrance of Knight's program.

You talk about us like we were curing cancer for free under RMK.

And you act like Sampson was Sean Miller, running pay for play schemes.

Let me ask you this: when Sampson and RMK both get up to the Big Man's place upstairs, you think He's going to be more concerned about phone calls or things like ordering your team and school to assassinate the character/manhood of a kid like Neil Reed? Does God like bullies?

Let me ask you this: when Sampson and RMK both get up to the Big Man's place upstairs, you think He's going to be more concerned about phone calls or things like ordering your team and school to assassinate the character/manhood of a kid like Neil Reed? Does God like bullies?
Seriously, this holier thou bs is beyond old at this point. I just want IU to get back to winning, the rest will take care of itself.

I used to feel that way about Kelvin; however, I have realized Kelvin wasn’t the root cause of the issues. The IU admin was to blame. And yes, I would take Kelvin over Crean any day

I'd rather have NEITHER.

Give me Woody, Dane, Kenya and Yasir (with Matta in the background) any day of the week over both. All IU has ever needed was coaches who understood and respected what IU Basketball is (or at least SHOULD BE) about.

We finally got that.

Seriously, this holier thou bs is beyond old at this point. I just want IU to get back to winning, the rest will take care of itself.

Had this talk with a buddy yesterday. The holier than thou stuff has taken care of itself. We sucked for 20 years and a lot of them died or are now retired and have more important things to worry about like yelling at the sky.

55-60 and under now almost all just want to win. Thad and Woody have the only two keys to the Lambo. Hiring Ya ya was proof. We are in it to win it, and no one is gonna bitch about it. If they do, they will very quickly be shown the door and told to shut up old man.

It wasn't a charitable act by Crean, he was very well paid.

Reactions: kkott

F Neil reed. Knight demanded respect and reid was a mouthy bitch who couldn’t handle it. Similar personality to a lot on here

I get it, he went around stipulations to make 3 way calls to recruits. Look at todays recruiting environment and realize what Sampson was working against. He wasn't capitalizing on the nonsense like these other REAL cheaters were. We are talking about extra text messages that aren't even a rule anymore and never should have been.

The problem with that entire situation is IU was brought to its knees by the NCAA due to a rule that no longer exists and something that HARDLY benefited Sampson or IU with the phone calls. We were left with 1 walk-on scholarship player and had a MASSIVE black spotlight placed on us unnecessarily. Meanwhile, UNC makes up fake classes to keep kids eligible across many sports and nothing happens. Coaches are paying players and or working around the shoe system to facilitate payments and we see minimal impacts.

We, as IU fans, got shafted by the NCAA and although definitely idiotic on Sampson's part, I don't look at him as this super scandalous college coach. Slick Rick, Bill Self, Scott Drew.....these guys are the real shady ones. Sampson's transgressions have been looked at as equal or worse but that couldn't be further from the truth.

I get it, he went around stipulations to make 3 way calls to recruits. Look at todays recruiting environment and realize what Sampson was working against. He wasn't capitalizing on the nonsense like these other REAL cheaters were. We are talking about extra text messages that aren't even a rule anymore and never should have been.

The problem with that entire situation is IU was brought to its knees by the NCAA due to a rule that no longer exists and something that HARDLY benefited Sampson or IU with the phone calls. We were left with 1 walk-on scholarship player and had a MASSIVE black spotlight placed on us unnecessarily. Meanwhile, UNC makes up fake classes to keep kids eligible across many sports and nothing happens. Coaches are paying players and or working around the shoe system to facilitate payments and we see minimal impacts.

We, as IU fans, got shafted by the NCAA and although definitely idiotic on Sampson's part, I don't look at him as this super scandalous college coach. Slick Rick, Bill Self, Scott Drew.....these guys are the real shady ones. Sampson's transgressions have been looked at as equal or worse but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Was IU shafted by the NCAA or was IU shafted by IU since most of the sanctions were self imposed?

Kelvin was the wrong hire for the wrong reasons but he wasn't the worst hire we've made. Hopefully Woodson will change our string of bad hires.

Ranking of hires based on coaching ability (not factoring in sliminess)

1) Woodson (optimistic)
2) Sampson
3) Miller
4) Crean
5) Davis

3 thru 5 is tough to order.

Last edited:

Whether one agreed or not, those were the rules at the time. KS violated them at OU, we hired him with the express commitment that he wouldn’t violate them again, and he did. On multiple occasions. While actively working to conceal his conduct.

He’s not the worst person ever, but he worked to both break the rules and cover his tracks so as to deceive others.

Wait just a second. Sampson did not just make some cell phone calls that are now permitted. What he did, and the IU administration allowed him to do....was to jeopardize IU's program, the players opportunities, and his own coaching position. He lied to IU. He compromised the recruits by including them in impermissible stuff.
By not teaching that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things...what is that telling the student/athletes and the world about how to mature and grow?
Some posters on here clearly believe that it is ok to go against the mores of society. Others believe that there are civic responsibilities inherent to us all as we go through life.
Some people forget or look the other way concerning good sportsmanship and what it is supposed to be about.

Wait just a second. Sampson did not just make some cell phone calls that are now permitted. What he did, and the IU administration allowed him to do....was to jeopardize IU's program, the players opportunities, and his own coaching position. He lied to IU. He compromised the recruits by including them in impermissible stuff.
By not teaching that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things...what is that telling the student/athletes and the world about how to mature and grow?
Some posters on here clearly believe that it is ok to go against the mores of society. Others believe that there are civic responsibilities inherent to us all as we go through life.
Some people forget or look the other way concerning good sportsmanship and what it is supposed to be about.
the cover up is always worse than the crime...unless you are UNC or Kansas.

ADVERTISEMENT