ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean & Georgia

Davis does tell a pretty funny story about Josh Smith.

Said he went to watch Josh after he committed at one of the big AAU tournaments and Davis felt like the cock of the walk. He's watching him with Pitino and other big name coaches and Josh is showing out. Said Pitino put his arm around him and said while laughing, 'Mike, congratulations on a great recruiting win but....that kid isn't playing one minute of college basketball".

rick is a top 5 basketball mind of all time. If he just would have stayed away from my Celtics. Seems like a lot of people Go mess with my Celtics these days....

Reactions: TommyCracker
This comment is forever an underwear stain.
Your apparent obsession with underwear stains leads one to ponder if you had “Bacon Stripe Brigade” as an activity listed
in your high school yearbook. I won’t tell you how to lead your life, but let me suggest presenting flatulent expulsions few and far between and at the end of the day, for God’s sake, refrain from looking. Easier said than done, I know, but it’s proven to work for me, generally speaking.

I have a close friend who taught Bassett in high school at Terre Haute. He was plenty of trouble. Holman also had hs transcript issues, I seem to remember a story about his relationship with a guidance counselor that was the source of a lot of speculation regarding grades.

People seem to forget that Sampson had a 0% graduation rate at OU. Let that sink in - not a single kid who played for him earned a degree. When he was hired at IU his response to that was that he had to recruit those kinds of kids to be successful at a non-bball school and state (jucos who were non-qualifiers out of hs, kids with low SAT scores, kids with sketchy pasts) . He swore that he would not need to take those kinds of kids at IU because of such a rich basketball heritage. Yet those are exactly the kinds of kids he immediately set out to bring in here. KS wasn't just a guy who made improper phone calls like hundreds of other coaches. He was a liar at heart - someone who had no contrition or remorse for past transgressions and who had no intention of changing. He was just concerned about not getting caught.

That was the same approach he took with player conduct and academics. He was interested in keeping players eligible and their character/legal problems covered up. My daughter was a student at IU at the time, living at Varsity Villas. Several bball players lived there as well. My daughter talked to me about their behavior around the apartment complex and on the campus buses. Her opinion of them was that they were criminals who did not belong on a college campus. Has everyone forgotten that several players were failing multiple courses when KS was let go and Dakich was trying to determine who should stay and who should go.

Kelvin Sampson is a terrific basketball coach. But if you believe in any way in the idea that college basketball should be played by true college students ( and many here obviously don't share that value) then it would be impossible to respect and defend a guy like Kelvin Sampson. He doesn't belong in the college game. Sadly, there are a lot of coaches like that. I think it would be pretty obvious what Bob Knight would think of his approach and ethics.

I'm squarely of the opinion that if universities and college basketball fans reach the point where they are ok with guys like KS running programs, then the whole idea of college athletics is unnecessary and should be converted to a corporate-sponsored enterprise like in Europe. What is the over-arching purpose of spending billions of taxpayer dollars on coaches and massive facilities for what is essentially a business only marginally related to the mission of a university ? We may already be past the point of no return but I hate the thought of just accepting that the concept of student-athlete is archaic. Personally, if a choice must be made, I would like to see the whole of the NCAA adopt the Div. III model and let the corporate world run minor leagues for those who see college basketball (and football and baseball) as a nothing more than a stepping stone to the pros.

We don't have to root for IU or Purdue. We can send our young people there to get a true education and be fans of the "Eli Lilly Fighting Syringes" or the "Cook Stents", or the "Subaru Wheelers". Redirect the money that goes to fund massive coaching salaries, massive stadiums, and massive athletic departments into cutting tuition and housing costs and paying for professors and true academic research.

If college isn't an essential part of college athletics, then college athletics is pointless.
Strangely, I posted something similar to this and got bashed about high school sports. One of our neighboring towns is investing like a million dollars in artificial turf for their outdoor fields. Their enrollment is in a 20 year decline along with participation. And tax bills will go up an average of 160 bucks per home in the county for their fieds. At this rate, they won’t even be able to field a football team in 10 years but at least the grass won’t grow wild when they shut the whole thing down. Sports need toned down! And I love sports. Those are rough numbers by the way for the fact checkers out there but should be close.

Your apparent obsession with underwear stains leads one to ponder if you had “Bacon Stripe Brigade” as an activity listed
in your high school yearbook. I won’t tell you how to lead your life, but let me suggest presenting flatulent expulsions few and far between and at the end of the day, for God’s sake, refrain from looking. Easier said than done, I know, but it’s proven to work for me, generally speaking.
I wasn’t generally speaking. Just pointing out that his comments are as wanted as stains in the nether region. So what about my high school yearbook? I live my life like any other blue collar individual. I stay away from over confident white collar people who are condescending. Poop.

Strangely, I posted something similar to this and got bashed about high school sports. One of our neighboring towns is investing like a million dollars in artificial turf for their outdoor fields. Their enrollment is in a 20 year decline along with participation. And tax bills will go up an average of 160 bucks per home in the county for their fieds. At this rate, they won’t even be able to field a football team in 10 years but at least the grass won’t grow wild when they shut the whole thing down. Sports need toned down! And I love sports. Those are rough numbers by the way for the fact checkers out there but should be close.
What you and others don't comprehend is that installing artificial turf is about both the ability to drastically reduce turf maintenance expenses annually while significantly increasing the ability of different sports and activities to use the field. Most football fields are off limits during the season to soccer, band, lacrosse, and gym classes, and there was little opportunity to use it for any practices, as well. Turf makes all of that possible, which is what the companies who sell it make obvious in the cost - benefit analysis that they provide schools.

I wasn’t generally speaking. Just pointing out that his comments are as wanted as stains in the nether region. So what about my high school yearbook? I live my life like any other blue collar individual. I stay away from over confident white collar people who are condescending. Poop.
My guess would be blue collared workers don’t change their underwear as often as white collared ones but I have not seen a study claiming so. Perhaps someone at IU might earn a masters degree in Psychology on such a matter, presenting a thesis titled, “The Stains of Time As Related To Socioeconomic Conditions Of The Day”.

My guess would be blue collared workers don’t change their underwear as often as white collared ones but I have not seen a study claiming so. Perhaps someone at IU might earn a masters degree in Psychology on such a matter, presenting a thesis titled, “The Stains of Time As Related To Socioeconomic Conditions Of The Day”.
I wouldn’t doubt it. You can lead the charge while I give you unlimited blue collar undergarments to test. You might get that closet god status that most researchers covet.

Why do IU fans keep obsessing over past coaches?
Judgement is clearer in hindsight. Future-sight vision is based more upon conjecture with ones having never coached an IU team. Another way to put it-Past coaches are who we are today. There is no present coach to currently judge, only future coaches.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t doubt it. You can lead the charge while I give you unlimited blue collar undergarments to test. You might get that closet god status that most researchers covet.
Okay, but may I suggest you lay off the Mexican food beforehand, so numbers aren’t skewed, tainted in artificial spew that you do.

Okay, but may I suggest you lay off the Mexican food beforehand, so numbers aren’t skewed, tainted in artificial spew that you do.
You rookie! Research departments don’t care about skewed research!!! It’s all about status and Benjamin’s. You will not keep me from my cantina!

What pisses me off the most is the narrative that fools like this dude have made up that our players during that span were drug dealers and rapists.
Not rapists, and maybe not dealers during the Sampson years, but people in the program at the time know that there were two teams: one team that didn't use and another team that used a lot. The latter team didn't attend class often and had many failing grades.

Not rapists, and maybe not dealers during the Sampson years, but people in the program at the time know that there were two teams: one team that didn't use and another team that used a lot. The latter team didn't attend class often and had many failing grades.
...and the coaching staff didn't care.

Reactions: luviubball
The ROI is different for each potential installation and in some cases it might not make sense. Try to get that data from the school corp, it should be available. Remember, turf allows for multi-use including bands.

From what I have heard in my area, with all the consolidations going on, the place with the nicest facilities wins out and gets to stay home.

What you and others don't comprehend is that installing artificial turf is about both the ability to drastically reduce turf maintenance expenses annually while significantly increasing the ability of different sports and activities to use the field. Most football fields are off limits during the season to soccer, band, lacrosse, and gym classes, and there was little opportunity to use it for any practices, as well. Turf makes all of that possible, which is what the companies who sell it make obvious in the cost - benefit analysis that they provide schools.
What your failing to understand is their school is investing a huge amount of money in extracurriculars and could potentially close the doors in the near future. I fully understand the “turf” thing and benefits. Why paint a ship when it is sinking? The school isn’t trying to save money by investing in their grounds. They are trying hard to stroke the egos of a few coaches in the school and about 18 fans which attend. And the rest of the community will be saddled with the bill.
From what I have heard in my area, with all the consolidations going on, the place with the nicest facilities wins out and gets to stay home.
That school barely survived the last consolidation a few years ago. The enrollment is probably half what it was 20 years ago and I think had 30-40 players in football from 9-12. In ten years, they may not even have a program. In the same county, they spent millions on 3 elementary and middle schools in the late 2000’s only to shut the doors by 2014 I think. Tax payers still on hook for those bonds/loans.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
What your failing to understand is their school is investing a huge amount of money and is about to shudder the doors. I fully understand the “turf” thing and benefits. Why paint a ship when it is sinking? The school isn’t trying to save money by investing in their grounds. They are trying hard to stroke the egos of a few coaches in the school and about 18 fans which attend. And the rest of the community will be saddled with the bill.

That school barely survived the last consolidation a few years ago. There attendance is probably half what it was 20 years ago and I think had 30-40 players in football from 9-12. In ten years, they may not even have a program. In the same county, they spent millions on 3 elementary and middle schools in the late 2000’s only to shut the doors by 2014 I think. Tax payers still on hook for those bonds/loans.
So, “there” about to “shudder” the doors . . . in 10 years, no less, and “your” arguing that they shouldn’t spend money prudently, which is nearly always the case with turf because of its inherent utility?

Why do IU fans keep obsessing over past coaches?
Probably because IU fans obsessed over them when they were here and can’t let go.

There was a large number of still active posters on here who wanted to build statues and name the court after both Crean and Archie for many years.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucy01
Probably because IU fans obsessed over them when they were here and can’t let go.

There was a large number of still active posters on here who wanted to build statues and name the court after both Crean and Archie for many years.
Ok that’s it. Biggest lie and troll post of the year. Not one person on this board said any of that. I can’t tell if you are serious, delusional, stupid, all three or just trolling.

personal confession- his statement might have been true before Covid, but since...hell I'm stuck working from home for the past yr and lucky if I shower 3 times a week, let alone change clothes. And I know I'm not alone. Every work day has turned into Groundhogs day.

You rookie! Research departments don’t care about skewed research!!! It’s all about status and Benjamin’s. You will not keep me from my cantina!
I knew it would be tough with Cinco de Mayo coming up on Wednesday.

By skewed research, status and Benjamin’s, you mean like those climate change zealots with their latest scientific “facts”? “The water is coming, the water is coming!Batten down the hatches if not selling your beach front property.

Link?

personal confession- his statement might have been true before Covid, but since...hell I'm stuck working from home for the past yr and lucky if I shower 3 times a week, let alone change clothes. And I know I'm not alone. Every work day has turned into Groundhogs day.
Since I retired 10 years ago, I only shower every 3-4 days. Once, my wife and I both went a week without showering just to coax our natural pheromones into full expression. I haven’t worn underwear since retiring, thus haven’t seen a bacon stripe in over a decade. I almost forget what they look like, as if a distant memory in a dream-like state.

Ok that’s it. Biggest lie and troll post of the year. Not one person on this board said any of that. I can’t tell if you are serious, delusional, stupid, all three or just trolling.

You just make stupid shit up
You guys take things way too literal.

That said, I’ve never seen a fan base obsess over a coach like IU fans did over Crean. I’m not talking about a year or two, but for nearly a decade. That guy could do no wrong and was absolutely off limits of any criticism for about 8 years.

Then comes in Archie and I couldn’t count how many people compared him to Knight, guaranteed multiple titles, claimed he “gets it” whatever that means, etc. He’s getting crushed by IPFW and ISU and you can’t even question Archie. It was a disaster. Let’s not try to rewrite history here just because you guys and several others were wrong and refused to learn.

• Wow
Reactions: jimmygoiu
I knew it would be tough with Cinco de Mayo coming up on Wednesday.

By skewed research, status and Benjamin’s, you mean like those climate change zealots with their latest scientific “facts”? “The water is coming, the water is coming!Batten down the hatches if not selling your beach front property.
dumb

Since I retired 10 years ago, I only shower every 3-4 days. Once, my wife and I both went a week without showering just to coax our natural pheromones into full expression. I haven’t worn underwear since retiring, thus haven’t seen a bacon stripe in over a decade. I almost forget what they look like, as if a distant memory in a dream-like state.
Gross ...

That said, I’ve never seen a fan base obsess over a coach like IU fans did over Crean. I’m not talking about a year or two, but for nearly a decade. That guy could do no wrong and was absolutely off limits of any criticism for about 8 years.

Then comes in Archie and I couldn’t count how many people compared him to Knight, guaranteed multiple titles, claimed he “gets it” whatever that means, etc. He’s getting crushed by IPFW and ISU and you can’t even question Archie. It was a disaster. Let’s not try to rewrite history here just because you guys and several others were wrong and refused to learn.
Just shut up about all that stuff. Leave it in the past. You bring it up and somehow break your arm patting yourself on the back. We have a new coach.

Just shut up about all that stuff. Leave it in the past. You bring it up and somehow break your arm patting yourself on the back. We have a new coach.

That... and the fact that none of that happened. He saw one or two people act like that and it somehow becomes "a large number of still active posters" 🤦

He's the only dipshit I don't block because it makes me feel so much better about the other morons

What you call memories is actually imagination.

Get real dude. Your a Purdue fan who most everybody blocked. Now your back under an alias. You’re so full of shit.

Was IU shafted by the NCAA or was IU shafted by IU since most of the sanctions were self imposed?
IU hired the guy knowing there were sanctions against him. That's just not a smart move. The guy can coach but rules seem to be ignored.
Crean visited Gary Harris during a non contact period and said he forgot.

IU hired the guy knowing there were sanctions against him. That's just not a smart move. The guy can coach but rules seem to be ignored.
Crean visited Gary Harris during a non contact period and said he forgot.
Without the vision of hindsight, one might be led to believe he was a safe bet to stay clean after being caught the first time. Houston was smart hiring Sampson after 2 previous acts of infraction. Only total idiots would strike out a third time. It was an even safer bet for them with a Final Four the reward. If only IU would have been as lucky with Kelvin.

Get real dude. Your a Purdue fan who most everybody blocked. Now your back under an alias. You’re so full of shit.
Alias? I got blocked for telling the truth that no one wanted to hear at the time so I added a 2 to my name. My track record on here for 20 years speaks for itself.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT