ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean & Georgia

Kelvin was the wrong hire for the wrong reasons but he wasn't the worst hire we've made. Hopefully Woodson will change our string of bad hires.

Ranking of hires

1) Woodson (optimistic)
2) Sampson
3) Crean
4) Davis

3 and 4 are flip of the coin on what order to put them.
if you consider the condition the program was in upon their departure- from worst to first:
1. Sampson
2. Crean
3a. Davis
3b. Miller (edit- forgot about the lil' guy)

Meaning, Sampson was the worst hire. Although the length of Crean's tenure makes him a close 2nd.

Woodson- TBD. But I like what I see so far.

Last edited:
I wish people on here were as disgusted with our former coach Calvin. He goes to the final four and some people say,"we should have never gotten rid of him". At least Crean took the job after Calvin wrecked the program. I honor him for that at least. Sure we had tons of turnovers and the defense was atrocious. But he did brings us back from the basement.
The subject is Tom Crean. I'm not sure why you are changing it to Kelvin. Try to stay on topic.

Tom Crean really liked his superstar players. He loved getting a photo op with Vic or Yogi whenever he could be shown hugging them or comforting them after a bad loss. Meanwhile, his less than star players were ignored for the most part. I'm not surprised that he wall papered his office at Georgia with his super star players, instead of honoring past Georgia players. He gotta honor Tom Crean first.

I still remember him comforting Austin Etherington when Austin laid on the floor after his injury. Crean put on a real show of praying over Austin. Such an act! Crean can't coach and he is a narcissistic loser. It's fun watching him fail.

Wait just a second. Sampson did not just make some cell phone calls that are now permitted. What he did, and the IU administration allowed him to do....was to jeopardize IU's program, the players opportunities, and his own coaching position. He lied to IU. He compromised the recruits by including them in impermissible stuff.
By not teaching that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things...what is that telling the student/athletes and the world about how to mature and grow?
Some posters on here clearly believe that it is ok to go against the mores of society. Others believe that there are civic responsibilities inherent to us all as we go through life.
Some people forget or look the other way concerning good sportsmanship and what it is supposed to be about.
It wasn't cell phone calls, it was him being limited on the # of calls and him going around it by having his assistants put him on 3 way so his phone records didn't show any outgoing calls. What isn't a rule that he allegedly broke was the text messages. 2 separate instances and both are foolish but HARDLY afoul in the same manner than these other programs did. That was the point, so no need to twist it with your hyperbole.

Lastly, the sport is built around feathering the line of the rules. EVERY school and EVERY coach gets as close and often crosses because there's a 5k page book of rules that would be impossible to stay completely within unless you simply didn't play. This holier than thou approach is built off your own fallacy and not reality. The entire point is that Sampson really didn't do anything ALL coaches are doing as well. So to bring IU to its knees while most other programs are doing far worse and not getting punished nearly as bad is what I was referring to.

It wasn't cell phone calls, it was him being limited on the # of calls and him going around it by having his assistants put him on 3 way so his phone records didn't show any outgoing calls. What isn't a rule that he allegedly broke was the text messages. 2 separate instances and both are foolish but HARDLY afoul in the same manner than these other programs did. That was the point, so no need to twist it with your hyperbole.

Lastly, the sport is built around feathering the line of the rules. EVERY school and EVERY coach gets as close and often crosses because there's a 5k page book of rules that would be impossible to stay completely within unless you simply didn't play. This holier than thou approach is built off your own fallacy and not reality. The entire point is that Sampson really didn't do anything ALL coaches are doing anyways. So to bring IU to its knees while most other programs are doing far worse and not getting punished nearly as bad is what I was referring to.
You’re arguing that 75 isn’t really speeding because others are going 85 or 90. I think that’s always been the wrong way to look at it.

W the transfer portal it’s easy to bitch abt the coach bc they don’t have to put up w any blowback from the coach, they can just leave and not sit out.
Crean is no great coach despite being a decent recruiter (yeah, yeah I know) but I’ll always be grateful for him taking a decimated program and bringing it out of the swamp.

Reactions: asindc

Lastly, the sport is built around feathering the line of the rules. EVERY school and EVERY coach gets as close and often crosses because there's a 5k page book of rules that would be impossible to stay completely within unless you simply didn't play. This holier than thou approach is built off your own fallacy and not reality. The entire point is that Sampson really didn't do anything ALL coaches are doing as well. So to bring IU to its knees while most other programs are doing far worse and not getting punished nearly as bad is what I was referring to.
Sampson was on probation for doing the same stuff. Did it again. And you say that is ok. I don't. I do not want a coach that jeopardizes IU's athletic program. And I do not want a coach that recruits, players, parents, alums, and everyone out there knows that cheats. But I guess you do not care about all of that. Painting those that believe in good sportsmanship as holier than thou is an interesting position. Condoning cheating and teaching students that it is ok is sad and disrespectful.

Reactions: CC Mac
Gordon did not help that image by pretty much saying drugs were a big problem, https://www.insidethehall.com/2008/12/17/eric-gordon-confirms-it-drugs-pulled-last-years-team-apart/
If you give any credence to the words of Eric Gordon- and I do, as he seems like a solid dude who takes basketball very seriously- then you cannot argue that this period of time was the very worst in IU's past 20 some yrs. The record was good, we were top 15 and competing for the B1G championship, but under the surface, some very bad things were taking place in the IU program.

Dakich and a few players have outed Sampson. Sampson was doing far more shady crap(and letting shady stuff) happen. DJ stopped playing because he wanted paid.(dakich claim) The rest where doing all kinds of stuff that didn’t include volunteering at the soup kitchen. It wasn’t if he got caught it was when. The texts and phone calls where just the tip. The fans and IU administration are/where not equipped to handle that kind of stuff. We are not good at cheating. Sampson was not a fit, neither was Crean. Let’s just move on.

Wait just a second. Sampson did not just make some cell phone calls that are now permitted. What he did, and the IU administration allowed him to do....was to jeopardize IU's program, the players opportunities, and his own coaching position. He lied to IU. He compromised the recruits by including them in impermissible stuff.
By not teaching that there is a right way and a wrong way to do things...what is that telling the student/athletes and the world about how to mature and grow?
Some posters on here clearly believe that it is ok to go against the mores of society. Others believe that there are civic responsibilities inherent to us all as we go through life.
Some people forget or look the other way concerning good sportsmanship and what it is supposed to be about.
Sampson was using burner cell phones and made many, many calls on them. He clearly knew what he was doing. Kelvin is a great coach but not a good fit for IU and what it represents.

Sampson was on probation for doing the same stuff. Did it again. And you say that is ok. I don't. I do not want a coach that jeopardizes IU's athletic program. And I do not want a coach that recruits, players, parents, alums, and everyone out there knows that cheats. But I guess you do not care about all of that. Painting those that believe in good sportsmanship as holier than thou is an interesting position. Condoning cheating and teaching students that it is ok is sad and disrespectful.

haha More ridiculous hyperbole. If you support any college program you will find cheating in it. So you do support it but you want to pretend you don't to take some moral high ground. They all do it, so lets start from there.

haha More ridiculous hyperbole. If you support any college program you will find cheating in it. So you do support it but you want to pretend you don't to take some moral high ground. They all do it, so lets start from there.
This isn’t accurate, nor does it relate to what went on with KS at IU.

Last edited:
Don’t forget plant killers. I wonder how hard Holman threw the pot?

Not as hard as I would have thrown it if I heard Crean come in and act like he did when he ran to mid court and told Meyer he wrecked the program. That jackass actually did this. This is the most embarrassing thing IMO that has ever happened with IU. What a pathetic loser.

Not as hard as I would have thrown it if I heard Crean come in and act like he did when he ran to mid court and told Meyer he wrecked the program. That jackass actually did this. This is the most embarrassing thing IMO that has ever happened with IU. What a pathetic loser.

Agreed. Crean really acted like he was squirrelly. Nuts. And then smirked like he pulled one over on Meyer.

However, the backstory has to be stated here. There is so much baggage that Meyer carried and the team up north. Apparently Meyer was caught by IU cheating and helping Sampson cheat. Meyer flipped on Sampson and got his...ahem...possible probation from coaching in the NCAA...plead down to nothing. Then when hired up north, he was apparently stealing recruits and taking them. Plus, there was the incident when one player during that game stood in front of the coaches bench and dissed the coaches and the players. And there was a IU recruit sitting behind the other team's coaches. Finally during the handhake after game..Crean said something negative to Meyer and Meyer, it was reported, gave Crean the Fbomb. The rest is in your video. But Meyer did help to ruin the program. And Crean was an idiot.

Sampson lied to the NCAA and was banned from the NCAA for 5 years.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I wish people on here were as disgusted with our former coach Calvin. He goes to the final four and some people say,"we should have never gotten rid of him". At least Crean took the job after Calvin wrecked the program. I honor him for that at least. Sure we had tons of turnovers and the defense was atrocious. But he did brings us back from the basement.
You talking about Kelvin?

I've never understood the absolute hatred for TC... At least he seems to be a good man. Kelvin on the other hand.... geesh

agreed, I was thinking about this moment earlier today when this thread took life. We just won the B1G title outright in a heavily contested game on the road vs a loaded UM team....and instead of celebrating it with the rest of the players, he decides to go on a crusade with the cameras rolling. Total DBag move...it was this, and then the 'Cuse game 2 weeks later, that woke me up to this flim flam man. Not excusing Meyer, he was dirty.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
Are you saying they were high character individuals? Who said anything about drug dealing and rape? Dakich talked about how there was no institutional control over these players. In other words they did as they wanted. If they didn't want to go to class they didn't. If they wanted to smoke weed they did. Coach Calvin didn't care. At least with Crean when kids did wrong they were reprimanded.
We can't take you serious until you at least get the old coaches name correct. It is Kelvin, not Calvin.

No one despises Crean the coach on here more than I do.

He annoyed me at Marquette and I thought he was insufferable during his run here.

I could go on for days but the crux of it is he's is insanely narcissistic without any panache to justify it.

He's also waaay too temperamental to be in a high pressure position.

I think he'd be a really good assistant but has way too many character flaws to be the main dude.

The fact that he has a big mural of all of his past players while having some cardboard cut outs of past Georgia players is quintessential Crean douchery.

KS texted and lied about it, that's all!!!. Crean was a fool and needs extreme talent to win, but neither he, nor KS, or Arch (who is similar to Crean) wrecked the program. Dakich did. He threw all those decent players off from what was about a top 10 team and left Crean with nothing. I don't recall arrests of any of those players or anything to warrant it other than they hated Dakich and his moralistic crap. Crean could have re-recruited them, but probably thought it more safe to suck and have a pity party for 3 years. In the end there were probably more players with arrests and off court issues under Crean than any IU coach ever.

if you consider the condition the program was in upon their departure- from worst to first:
1. Sampson
2. Crean
3a. Davis
3b. Miller (edit- forgot about the lil' guy)

Meaning, Sampson was the worst hire. Although the length of Crean's tenure makes him a close 2nd.

Woodson- TBD. But I like what I see so far.
I put miller much higher on your list. Zero sucess, minimal fan support, enthusiasm low, culture of not playing hard

Reactions: IUgradman
We weren't as smart as UNC, that's for sure. Deny, deny, deny and threaten to lawyer up. Oh, and the fact that you're one of the NCAA's cash and sacred cows doesn't hurt either!
Myles Brand was the head of the NCAA at the time. What do you think would have happened if the NCAA caught whim of the athletic and compliance departments covering for a known cheater committing the same infractions that he was currently on probation for? I'm all ears.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Lol, some of you are just insane(or stupid). Sampson was getting canned regardless. He had zero institutional control at a university that wasn’t equipped to handle shenanigans. Those players left because the writing was on the wall. I can’t stand Dakich but he absolutely had no choice. I for one will never question his decisions in that time. It was well known around B-town what was going on and it wasn’t long before it was public. I can tell you they weren’t being good students.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT