ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Crean and Vanderbilt

Status
Not open for further replies.
That whole storied post was lame...lame deserved lame

No, spinning stories to 8th graders about their parallelisms to DWade or VO has become lame. Used sparingly, it's a tactic that might actually mean something sure, but abused over-and-over it becomes stale and transparent. Kids might not pick up on it right away; however, level-headed adults, i.e. parents and coaches, most certainly will--which was Taz' point in relating the experience, IMO.

I could be wrong, but there are surely more productive and genuine methods to positively reinforce young players while simultaneously marketing the Program.

Lol.

You just proved my point.

Look back thru your list of "underachievements". How many times did you pick a Knight team as "underachieving" by getting beat by a team seeded 1 spot lower - yet you want to praise Crean for a 5 seed win over #4 UK? And IU was picked no lower than 3rd preseason in the B1G (most all were 2nd), yet them winning a weak conference with the talent they have is a big achievement?

Really didn't think you'd be foolish enough to spout that garbage again, but with your hubris I guess anything is possible, huh?

I'd suggest you re-read again what I posted, because I didn't prove your point at all. The claim was losing to a seed worse than ours was underachieving. Coach Knight did that many times. Coach Knight also overachieved many times. If you're going to hold Crean's underachieving in the tournament (which happened once using yours and other criteria) as the standard, then don't move the goal posts when it comes to other coaches and redefine the criteria.

And yes, not predicted to win the Big Ten title and then actually winning the Big Ten title is overachieving. We all know if IU was picked 1st, and came in only one spot different to 2nd (using your criteria in this thread in a reverse manner), you would complain vociferously. You don't get to have it both ways.

What's terrible is how Tom Crean is perceived by his coaching peers for actions like that - and, by extension, how this program is perceived.

How many coaches at "elite" programs cut down the nets after a loss on senior day?

How many coaches at "elite" programs allow their strength coach to talk trash to opposing players during a game?

Do some people like him? Sure he's a great talker (just listen to Dakich), but the way he acts is not well received by many and reflects poorly on the program.

HS and AAU coaches on the forum have already shot this down. Your experience with one coach doesn't get to decide what most coaches in the state thing. Dubious. Hubris.

Fact is, Chey, he gave that EXACT story to every recruit - like people didn't know DWade.

Why does this matter to you? If kids want to become like DWade, why wouldn't they want to play for the coach that helped DWade become Dwade? By the way, those are DWade's words, as he praises Crean all the time. Do you think kids didn't want to play for Dean Smith somewhat because they might be like Jordan?

No, he's not kidding - which is what is so sad.

You gave plenty of great examples of IU teams where having Knight on the sidelines was the difference. Just how many teams coached by Crean can you say that about - even for a single game, let alone a season?

Why don't you ask the players on the team, the ones the commended him for keeping the team together, when they were off to such a rough start. The coach that won the Big Ten Coach of the Year, and was one of four finalists for National Coach of the Year. Yes, keep going on that he had not an impact at all, not even for a single game, as you suggest.

You know better than the players, the other Big Ten coaches and the national sports media. We are graced with your knowledge and presence.

What's terrible is how Tom Crean is perceived by his coaching peers for actions like that - and, by extension, how this program is perceived.

How many coaches at "elite" programs cut down the nets after a loss on senior day?

How many coaches at "elite" programs allow their strength coach to talk trash to opposing players during a game?

Do some people like him? Sure he's a great talker (just listen to Dakich), but the way he acts is not well received by many and reflects poorly on the program.

"The way he acts is not well received and reflects poorly on the program."

What coach are you talking about?

Why don't you ask the players on the team, the ones the commended him for keeping the team together, when they were off to such a rough start. The coach that won the Big Ten Coach of the Year, and was one of four finalists for National Coach of the Year. Yes, keep going on that he had not an impact at all, not even for a single game, as you suggest.

You know better than the players, the other Big Ten coaches and the national sports media. We are graced with your knowledge and presence.

Ok - please tell us the game where Crean was the difference in us winning because of his shrewd coaching moves.

This ought to be good . . .

Reactions: russelltodd
HS and AAU coaches on the forum have already shot this down. Your experience with one coach doesn't get to decide what most coaches in the state thing. Dubious. Hubris.

Only in your mind.

Forgot about this one, huh?

Not the case. I too am a HS coach, have been for 12 years. Served in the IBCA board for 6 years. Some may like him but to say he is well respected statewide is simply not the case. Most feel he is a good speaker, but his handling of players and his in game coaching leaves a lot to be desired. It's funny how those on here who love him point to one post about support, but any other post stating the opposite is a "myth". Too funny. Just like this board, some like him and some do not. But to say HS coaches respect him is far from true and is not the case. Our spring clinic is April 22 & 23, feel free to stop by Lawrence North or Hooters or Twin Peaks, grab a seat, and bring up CTC and listen to what is said.

You all need to take a trip in as couple of weeks and see for yourselves. Don't take my word for it - which obviously you won't. It is what it is.

No, spinning stories to 8th graders about their parallelisms to DWade or VO has become lame. Used sparingly, it's a tactic that might actually mean something sure, but abused over-and-over it becomes stale and transparent. Kids might not pick up on it right away; however, level-headed adults, i.e. parents and coaches, most certainly will--which was Taz' point in relating the experience, IMO.

I could be wrong, but there are surely more productive and genuine methods to positively reinforce young players while simultaneously marketing the Program.
just plain lame

Last edited:
Are you serous?

Which fricken coach am I talking about? RIF . . .

Of Indiana coaches from which I have to choose, and I admit, I haven't been following this back and forth in its entirety, but I would have to guess:

Bob Knight? I can't think of anyone who has acted in a way perceived more negatively or who has acted in a way that has reflected more poorly on any program in the history of college basketball.

Am I correct Tas?

Glad to see SOMEONE understands without a 3-dimensional diagram being written out for them.

Of Indiana coaches from which I have to choose, and I admit, I haven't been following this back and forth in its entirety, but I would have to guess:

Bob Knight? I can't think of anyone who has acted in a way perceived more negatively or who has acted in a way that has reflected more poorly on any program in the history of college basketball.

Am I correct Tas?
Again - RIF

Go back and re-read the passage, then come back, ok?

Again - RIF

Go back and re-read the passage, then come back, ok?

Ok. Sorry. I re-read everything and now realize you are on board with coach Crean. I am glad to hear it because he is the returning Big 10 coach of the year with the #8 nationally ranked team coming in next year. Also, he is going to be here for as long as he wants and there ain't nothing any of us can do about it. We are glad you are on board. Buckle up!!!

Ok. Sorry. I re-read everything and now realize you are on board with coach Crean. I am glad to hear it because he is the returning Big 10 coach of the year with the #8 nationally ranked team coming in next year. Also, he is going to be here for as long as he wants and there ain't nothing any of us can do about it. We are glad you are on board. Buckle up!!!
Lol

I swear you can't make this stuff up . . . but you all do, anyways . . .

Am I correct Tas?

Did Bob Knight ever cut down nets after a loss? No. The only 2 times I know of that Knight publically acknowledged a team other than his NCAA title teams was 1975 (had the UPI National Champions banner) and the 1983 Big Ten Champions (and that was to honor the fans, NOT the team).

Did Bob Knight ever allow one of the coaches on his bench to talk trash to players off the other team? No.

RIF . . .

Marquette fans? When is the last time they went to a Final Four? Actually in the last 35 years I can only think of one time, and Crean was their coach.

That's not the topic. But nice try.

You said...

"He's perceived as the Big Ten coach of the Year and was a finalist as National Coach of the Year. That is how he is perceived."

And I replied with the fact that the one school Crean took to the final four (Marquette), doesn't think much of him. Go to their board and bring up Crean.

And I bet you know a Marquette fan or two... ;)

What points are you trying to make then? is Crean as good as Knight? or was Knight not one of the best coaches in the game? For me, comparing and defending Crean uisng Knight is just completely ridiculous. I love Crean as a person. He is truly a great guy. But as a coach, this year was the first time he showed that he has potentials. I truly hope he succeeds and brings IU back. As of now, he is nowhere close to be in the conversation comparing to Knight.

Knight might under perform occasionally but over achieved many more before 94. He won a national title without any NBA 1st pick on his team. He won 3 national titles with only one NBA all star ever playing for him. No one in the history of the game has ever done so much with so little. For some reason, losing touch with the new generation of kids, bad talent evaluation or whatever, he hit a wall at IU after 94. But if Collier and Recker did not leave, it might not be as bad. With the team he assembled at IU around 2000, who knows what would happen if he were not fired. His first few years in Texas Tech was also nothing but remarkable. No one would have turn Texas tech around that fast and no one would bring that program anywhere further. He was a tyrant, a bully and he is childish, selfish, hypocritical and whatever you could call him. Even these flaws could not change the fact that the guy was one of the best ever, if not the best.

There is so much here we agree on, but because you are late to the party you missed most of it.

In previous threads I have pointed out several times that even great coaches like K, or Knight, or Smith, etc, have lost to teams like LeHigh, or in early rounds. We are in agreement.

At issue were the posters here claiming that Crean underperformed based on how far we go in the tournament. They specifically call out the results based on the seeding. The reality is, we have rarely underperformed per our seeding, or even what our seeding should have been. Case in point, we were not picked to win the Big Ten this year. We did win it, and thus overperformed. Would you agree? We lost to a #1 seed as a 5 seed, is that underperforming?

So I applied the same logic of those posters and showed how many times we underperfomed to the seeding, the same criteria used. Now that's not acceptable because it is used to evaluate Knight? OMG.

Knight had a great system. Bo Ryan had a great system. Jim Boeheim's zone defense is a great system. No is arguing this. We are in agreement, completely. However, if the criteria here is we have been underperforming based on the seeding and how far we got, then it is equally appropriate to point out that all coaches underperform at times, and Knight did so quite often. I don't agree with you on your claims that IU somehow overperformed during those seasons to earn those better seeds. That is ludicrous. What you would be saying is that we overperformed for 5 months to get a good seeding, but then suddenly it was all forgotten once we arrived to the NCAA tournament where we played at the level we were supposed to, thus not underperforming. Sorry, that's not going to cut it. There, we disagree.

Did Bob Knight ever cut down nets after a loss? No. The only 2 times I know of that Knight publically acknowledged a team other than his NCAA title teams was 1975 (had the UPI National Champions banner) and the 1983 Big Ten Champions (and that was to honor the fans, NOT the team).

Did Bob Knight ever allow one of the coaches on his bench to talk trash to players off the other team? No.

RIF . . .

Do you really want to do this? (Starter pistol, potted plant, toilet paper, cursing out NCAA lackey, etc).

What points are you trying to make then? is Crean as good as Knight? or was Knight not one of the best coaches in the game? For me, comparing and defending Crean uisng Knight is just completely ridiculous. I love Crean as a person. He is truly a great guy. But as a coach, this year was the first time he showed that he has potentials. I truly hope he succeeds and brings IU back. As of now, he is nowhere close to be in the conversation comparing to Knight.

Knight might under perform occasionally but over achieved many more before 94. He won a national title without any NBA 1st pick on his team. He won 3 national titles with only one NBA all star ever playing for him. No one in the history of the game has ever done so much with so little. For some reason, losing touch with the new generation of kids, bad talent evaluation or whatever, he hit a wall at IU after 94. But if Collier and Recker did not leave, it might not be as bad. With the team he assembled at IU around 2000, who knows what would happen if he were not fired. His first few years in Texas Tech was also nothing but remarkable. No one would have turn Texas tech around that fast and no one would bring that program anywhere further. He was a tyrant, a bully and he is childish, selfish, hypocritical and whatever you could call him. Even these flaws could not change the fact that the guy was one of the best ever, if not the best.

His first year at TT was one of the best coaching jobs of his career. After that, not so much.

Just go ahead and post about rubber and glue...you know you want to. It seems to be your go to.
I'd rather talk about the issues at hand.

The issue here is: Tom Crean's competency as a coach and how he is perceived by many HS coaches in this state. Again, go to the IBCA event a week from this Saturday/Sunday and hear it for yourself. And, again, Knight being an A$$HOLE (which has already been acknowledged) doesn't distract for the abilities he had to take less and do more.

Crean has never demonstrated that kind of ability. Stevie Wonder can see that from 5 miles away and you're oblivious to it . . .

I'd rather talk about the issues at hand.

The issue here is: Tom Crean's competency as a coach and how he is perceived by many HS coaches in this state. Again, go to the IBCA event a week from this Saturday/Sunday and hear it for yourself. And, again, Knight being an A$$HOLE (which has already been acknowledged) doesn't distract for the abilities he had to take less and do more.

Crean has never demonstrated that kind of ability. Stevie Wonder can see that from 5 miles away and you're oblivious to it . . .
You are creating a myth...

You are creating a myth...
There's nothing mythical about Crean's results as a head coach. Nothing. If anything, it is you who has repeatedly attempted to portray those results inaccurately. That you do so with impugnity is why you're so lacking in credibility here, even among those who regard Crean as a good coach.

There's nothing mythical about Crean's results as a head coach. Nothing. If anything, it is you who has repeatedly attempted to portray those results inaccurately. That you do so with impugnity is why you're so lacking in credibility here, even among those who regard Crean as a good coach.
Let's see... you kept going on and on about a poster stating something over and over doesn't make it true...but you do the very same thing to many posters...so now you know your posts are meaningless trolling at best...that is all you offer... your notion that people want credibility at this site is laughable!

Let's see... you kept going on and on about a poster stating something over and over doesn't make it true...but you do the very same thing to many posters...so now you know your posts are meaningless trolling at best...that is all you offer... your notion that people want credibility at this site is laughable!
I've done nothing of the sort, though I'm not surprised that you're wholly lacking in a meaningful response. You pointed accused someone of myth-making while offering nothing of substance in support. That's why you aren't credible. And, no, I've never once deluded myself into believing you'd offer anything other than your standard inanities. Again, it's why you have absolutely no credibility here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT