ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
Let’s throw all the cards on the table. What are the chances, in your all’s opinion, that he will actually leave here for a better job at some point? Man, I really want to keep this guy around for 10 years or more.

Let’s throw all the cards on the table. What are the chances, in your all’s opinion, that he will actually leave here for a better job at some point? Man, I really want to keep this guy around for 10 years or more.

I'd say 50/50. If he has OMG-success over the next several years then someone may well make him an offer that he just can't turn down. What if an Alabama, for example, were to come up with an offer when Saban elects to hang it up and it's several million more and his existing staff could come along at two to three times their existing levels?

I never thought Chris Mack would leave Xavier given his high school and local ties. But Louisville came through with an offer that he couldn't refuse.

fKfootball

It seems to me your posts are often negative, glass half full, gloom and doom, sky is falling, lillyputin “it’ll never work”, we’re blockheads.

Resoectfully, I disagree with that mentality. It’s the past. It’s OVER.

I choose to believe Coach Tom Allen is Indiana’s version of Barry Alvarez, Hayden Frye/Kirk Ferentz, Randy Walker/Pat Fitzgerald.

I believe Indiana has embarked on a Tom Allen led 20 year run of tradition building, program changing EXCELLENCE with one of the best college football coaches in America.

Enjoy it!

Support it!

I believe Coach Allen and the Team welcome ALL supporters. I encourage you to provide POSITIVE energy and LEO toward the team and the entire Indiana University Football community.

Jump on board FKFootball!

fKfootball

It seems to me your posts are often negative, glass half full, gloom and doom, sky is falling, lillyputin “it’ll never work”, we’re blockheads.

I choose to believe Coach Tom Allen is Indiana’s version of Barry Alvarez, Hayden Frye/Kirk Ferentz, Randy Walker/Pat Fitzgerald.

I believe Indiana has embarked on a Tom Allen led 20 year run of tradition building, program changing EXCELLENCE with one of the best college football coaches in America.

Enjoy it!

Support it!

I believe Coach Allen and the Team welcome ALL supporters. I encourage you to provide POSITIVE energy and LEO toward the team and the entire Indiana University Football community.

I think he'd be well advised to remember that the 'grass isn't always greener on the other side of the road'.

What I haven't heard him say, at least yet, is that 'I'll be the coach here as long as they want me'.

I do think he'll try to take IU as far as he can for the next 2-3 years. For this reason, I'd say there's a 30% chance he'll leave over that span.

But I think overall he's pretty damn ambitious.....compared to someone like Chryst as an example. So I think in the long run, say 5 years, it's more like 70% he does leave,

I think coach Allen is what coach Hep would have been if we hadn't lost him to a brain tumor . Coach Hep really wanted to be here , and I feel coach Allen does also . Money isn't always a reason to leave . Coach Wellman could have made more money by staying with the Giants , but he wanted to be here . Bloomington is a great area to live ,and raise a family . Money does not always make the grass greener .

Guys: I know I'm viewing this through crimson-colored glasses but I think it's unlikely he leaves. With respect to compensation, yes, he could make more somewhere else but the consensus seems to be that he's not the kind of guy that's driven by money. And, candidly, if he stays at IU it's not like he's going to have trouble paying his bills. The guy, like most P5 head coaches, is well on his way to becoming a very wealthy man.

Why would he want to follow a coach at a traditional football powerhouse where there will always be enormous and unrelenting pressure to win conference and national championships? Similarly, why would he take a job at a P5 program that's struggling? He's already done that here, and is building a program that appears destined for long-term success. He can create his own enduring legacy at IU, potentially go down as the greatest football coach in IU history, and be a hero in his home state of Indiana.

I see CTA staying until retirement.

I don't think he has any intentions of leaving any time soon & that's all that matters on this subject for the time being, IMO.

Will Memorial Stadium be full next year?

THAT will impact my answer to your question.

CTA is going nowhere! He loves IU and is building the type of program that reflects his beliefs and morals.
He is making more $$$ than he has ever dreamt of and money is not that important to him.
He is convincing young men to come to IU to become a better man and a better football player. He will not give up on them or IU!

You're correct...

The only people likely to squirrel this up is our own fans...

We will decide one way or another whether we deserve to be enjoying this type of success and whether it's short or long term purely by how we support the TEAM on game day post-COVID19...

IU is ranked 7th in the country. How many better teams are out there for him to coach?
This is his baby, he built from nearly the ground up and is going to get all the credit (and rightfully so). Why go to a great program, win 10-11 games a year and hear everybody tell you that you're not as good as coach so-and-so who was here before you.
He's gonna make $5-6 million a year. I think he feels that's more than enough.
Allen will be at IU for decades.

That's beckons a very interesting point: ordinarily, I'd agree 100%, & not that I don't agree now, but with the pandemic likely still impacting the season & attendance somewhat, we--the fanbase--might get a bit of a pass on this subject for another year. Otherwise, in a "normal" year(which we'll never have again, at least not what used to be normal)I'd say that we will have BETTER attendance in '21, I have no doubt, but how much better, I do have doubts. We(IU fanbase)will support a winner, the only time in my life we had one(Mallory era)attendance was considerably better. We need to absolutely PACK Memorial Stadium for this program though & do our part to completely transform the IUFB program, image, DNA, Brand, etc. etc. the way Wisconsin has, Oregon has.. It can happen. It would take 50 years to become a blueblood, but I honestly believe CTA can make this program a contender in the B1G East for a decade or more. How can anyone doubt that at this point? He's absolute GOLD for this Athletic Department, & MUST be rewarded & retained, at all cost(imo). Sorry so long, kinda' got on a roll &....couldn't stop.

fKfootball

Enjoy it!

Support it!

You can probably figure out what made me that way.

Reactions: BayernFan
The ONLY reason Tom might consider leaving for an SEC school is if he gets continually put on the 2nd shelf by his own conference. If he does everything right at this university and numbnuts like Warren and his cronies have an agenda, he may figure there is way too much political bullshit going on in this conference, tire of it and move on.

Unless we get some wacked out bow tie wearing liberal as the new president who has an agenda and fails to realize the role that athletics plays not only from a social standpoint but also as a major incentive for alums to contribute dollars to all facets of the university there's a high chance he will stay.

Unless we get some wacked out bow tie wearing liberal as the new president who has an agenda and fails to realize the role that athletics plays not only from a social standpoint but also as a major incentive for alums to contribute dollars to all facets of the university there's a high chance he will stay.
Dude, give it a rest.

I don't think he'll bolt because of the B1G. If he consistently leads the teams to wins IU will take that role Michigan State has played the last 10 years and get more benefit of the doubt than they did this year.

I don't think he'll bolt because of money. He's rich. He's going to get richer. He COULD leave for greener pastures and get richer yet, but at some point it's just keeping score (as someone said). A man can only eat so much steak & lobster. IU will pay a good rate, he'll make plenty of money, and if he has a competitive B1G East team, that's about as much as a man can ask for.

I DO think there's a risk of him leaving if he doesn't get fan support. I can see a man getting really bitter if he's able to put out a consistent 8 game winner with the possibility of competing for championships on the semi-regular if they're only drawing 1/3 of a house with half of those leaving in the 3rd quarter. Pure speculation, but I can see him actually caring about the pageantry/feel of college football and leaving because of an unappreciative fan base. With that said, I think Memorial Stadium is going to be PACKED in 2021.

With that said, I think Memorial Stadium is going to be PACKED in 2021.
Agreed. Let's face it, IU hasn't been just historically bad in football. We've also owned the patent on novel and gut-wrenching ways to lose. We're the diehard fans here, but most people aren't willing to spend coin at an annual shit show. They will, though, support a team that wins. We got a glimpse of it during the "Play 13" season in 2007. I will never forget the Memorial Stadium atmosphere for the Bucket game that year.

Alums are champing at the bit for a winner. Once the pandemic has receded and the economy improves - - and assuming we keep winning - - attendance will take care of itself.

I think everybody has gotten ahead of themselves. Don’t get me wrong, I am thrilled with the job Allen has done, not just this year, but last year, too. It’s clear that he wants to accomplish more at IU and has a list that’s not complete.

On the IU end, for years we’ve heard Hoosiers rake Fred Glass over the coals because he gave CTC a contract that was too expensive and too long because of the excitement of a great year. No need to risk the same mistake twice.

This is such a strange year all around. Athletic department budgets are a nightmare, and lots of folks are suffering. Unless IU needs to compete to keep him right now, it would probably be wise to wait another year to do anything significant. He’s in the first year of a contract, his success this year gives him an automatic 1 year extension, and he just got a raise last year. Let’s all hope the success continues next year and the year after, that Hoosiers finally fill Memorial stadium each week, and that consistent success, year over year, enables IU to give CTA anything he asks for to stay in the future.

Agreed. Let's face it, IU hasn't been just historically bad in football. We've also owned the patent on novel and gut-wrenching ways to lose. We're the diehard fans here, but most people aren't willing to spend coin at an annual shit show. They will, though, support a team that wins. We got a glimpse of it during the "Play 13" season in 2007. I will never forget the Memorial Stadium atmosphere for the Bucket game that year.

Alums are champing at the bit for a winner. Once the pandemic has receded and the economy improves - - and assuming we keep winning - - attendance will take care of itself.
I would agree with you except the I 69 construction next year with having IN 37 completely shut down concerns me regarding people coming down from Indianapolis. Hopefully they can find good enough alternative routes that they make the trip but I’m concerned the newer fans that we pick up from the winning will not bother.

Many good observations here and multiple reasons for Coach Allen to stay or leave. Once again MTIOTF has a key observation (attendance}. Coach has mentioned our attendance in more than one interview and for good reason. Attendance could be one of the main issues as that will in time have an impact on recruiting and that will impact the quality of the team. We are competing against schools with some of the biggest stadiums and fan base in the country and kids are not unaware of that fact in making a final choice. That certainly is not the only consideration in making a decision but it is one of them. I had season tickets for over 35 years and except for the Mallory years was part of many sparse stadium crowds. One of my sons still takes me to one game a year (until this year) and we stay to the end. Even during Coach Mal's years there were some bad crowds. I will never understand the numbers of fans leaving at halftime or those who park and never come in the stadium. That was even mentioned last year by a couple of the players last year. Somehow that has to become a thing of the past.

I don't think he'll bolt because of the B1G. If he consistently leads the teams to wins IU will take that role Michigan State has played the last 10 years and get more benefit of the doubt than they did this year.

I don't think he'll bolt because of money. He's rich. He's going to get richer. He COULD leave for greener pastures and get richer yet, but at some point it's just keeping score (as someone said). A man can only eat so much steak & lobster. IU will pay a good rate, he'll make plenty of money, and if he has a competitive B1G East team, that's about as much as a man can ask for.

I DO think there's a risk of him leaving if he doesn't get fan support. I can see a man getting really bitter if he's able to put out a consistent 8 game winner with the possibility of competing for championships on the semi-regular if they're only drawing 1/3 of a house with half of those leaving in the 3rd quarter. Pure speculation, but I can see him actually caring about the pageantry/feel of college football and leaving because of an unappreciative fan base. With that said, I think Memorial Stadium is going to be PACKED in 2021.

Maybe he can fix the band. I'd like to see him in charge.

I would agree with you except the I 69 construction next year with having IN 37 completely shut down concerns me regarding people coming down from Indianapolis. Hopefully they can find good enough alternative routes that they make the trip but I’m concerned the newer fans that we pick up from the winning will not bother.
I don't know if it would be doable, but wouldn't it be sweet to see a convoy of dozens of buses from Indy roll into the Memorial Stadium lot and disgorge a few thousand people at once?

Dude, give it a rest.
Instead of your typical hit and run comments, how about telling us what we need for success from future leadership? What have we not done that you would like to see? If you aren't trying to improve you're falling behind.

Last edited:

Short term...I think a low probability. Even a 0 percent chance in the next couple of years, maybe three. I feel the chance that he leaves can rise with continued success (which I expect) and our historically poor support of football...which I hope we leave to the dustbin of history.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I don't know if it would be doable, but wouldn't it be sweet to see a convoy of dozens of buses from Indy roll into the Memorial Stadium lot and disgorge a few thousand people at once?

Get that party train running again from Indy that stopped and let people off by the grass lots. That'd be not only a scenic ride, but a blast.

Regarding large crowds at games, there should be a nice bump in attendance next year, but I think it will take years of good football to actually sell out every game. Most of the programs who do that have large bases of fans who did not actually attend the school (see Notre Dame) but just grew up rooting for that team. For that to happen, you need to win a lot of games over a lot of years to stir up enough excitement for non-alumni to get interested in watching.

Regarding large crowds at games, there should be a nice bump in attendance next year, but I think it will take years of good football to actually sell out every game. Most of the programs who do that have large bases of fans who did not actually attend the school (see Notre Dame) but just grew up rooting for that team. For that to happen, you need to win a lot of games over a lot of years to stir up enough excitement for non-alumni to get interested in watching.
I agree with the premise, but I also remember the season opener against OSU a few years back was packed & rowdy. That was based purely on optimism.

I'm not saying that I think the Western Kentucky opener will be like that. But I think a little optimism (which we've got in spades) will go a lot further to filling up MS in '21.

fKfootball

Enjoy it!

Support it!

Your missing a Wildcat coach - Gary Barnett legitimatized Northwestern football before those two guys.

Reactions: red hornet

Back in the day, when we had bow-tie wearing Thomas Ehrlich, Isaw one of the greatest stretches of IU athletics in my time following the Hoosiers. A national championship in basketball. Some of the best IU football teams under Mallory from 1987 to 1994.
Have no idea about his political affiliation but it was a great time to be a Hoosier fan. I was in school during that stretch making daily treks to Ballantine Hall and watching the on campus preacher debate students on the sidewalk. That was fun. What was that guy’s name?

Reactions: IUFANBB
Back in the day, when we had bow-tie wearing Thomas Ehrlich, Isaw one of the greatest stretches of IU athletics in my time following the Hoosiers. A national championship in basketball. Some of the best IU football teams under Mallory from 1987 to 1994.
Have no idea about his political affiliation but it was a great time to be a Hoosier fan. I was in school during that stretch making daily treks to Ballantine Hall and watching the on campus preacher debate students on the sidewalk. That was fun. What was that guy’s name?
John Ryan was president of IU when they won in 1987. Bill Mallory was hired I believe in 1980 or 1981. Mallory lobbied for improved facilities but they were minimal. He finally helped implement some including the North end zone along with Hep in later years.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
I was a Sr. in Chemistry in 1987 & would see that guy preaching outside the front-end of Ballantine hall. I'm not sure that what his name was.

ADVERTISEMENT