ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen cost us the game

I think I'm the only one that was disappointed when he got an extension. TA will be here a long time and fukn up regularly as he stomps and claps.

At the end of games, it’s on the secondary to finish the game. Our secondary got lit up all year. Tonight was no different.

At the end of games, it’s on the secondary to finish the game. Our secondary got lit up all year. Tonight was no different.

The defense played good enough to win. We went into STALL MODE and when you do that the entire team stalls. When we got the ball up 13 we basically handed them the ball back in 2 minutes with horrific play calling. We were SCARED to go for the throat.

First the timeout at the end of the half, then the onside kick, then iced his own kicker. Literally never seen anything like it.
Who didn't know Tenn. was going to onside kick? The
IU coaching staff didn't know, everybody here was
yelling onside kick coming.

Why was Tom soaking wet at the end of the game when he went to shake Pruitts hand? Please tell me our guys didn’t give him an early Gatorade shower?

Yeah.....Allen does some things so well, and some things so poorly. I was screaming at the TV at the end of the first half. I can't fathom how a college coach can be that bad on those decisions. Not even something you have to think about.

Bottom line is, we are an average team. We did not beat a team all year with a winning record. This was our last chance. We looked horrible at times (offense in the first half) but really good at times (3rd qtr overall). But wow, what a meltdown. Tenn was 0-10 when losing after 3.....I knew they were due, and we helped them out totally.

Reactions: troylw and MaxCoke
First the timeout at the end of the half, then the onside kick, then iced his own kicker. Literally never seen anything like it.
I come in peace. I watched the game and rooted for you guys. Sorry, but your coach was head shakingly !$$#@! First of all you're up 22-9. Tennessee scores a TD with 4:30 minutes left in the game. Everyone watching except your HC Allen seemed to not anticipate that Tennessee would do an onside kick there. You had 2 men up at the line and the kicker kicks it where no one is and what do you know, Tennessee easily recovers the ball and then goes down for the winning TD.

I feel terrible for your kids who played their hearts out and for all you Indiana fans. You deserved to win that game.

I went to the BSU in August..
I honestly thought 6 was iffy.
Kinda thought we might get smoked tonight..
So as a whole ..It was a plus season..
But .Super super disappointing for 5 min.

Reactions: troylw and rcaulfie
Pulling for you guys tonight but that was terrible coaching. He iced his own kicker once at the end of the half after inexplicably not calling a TO with 8 seconds left then tried to do the exact same thing on wide right late. Fortunately they called the TO first and saved IU the timeout. I don’t get it.

Reactions: MaxCoke
Why was Tom soaking wet at the end of the game when he went to shake Pruitts hand? Please tell me our guys didn’t give him an early Gatorade shower?
With 6 or 7 min left? Would be bizarre. They certainly wouldn’t have done that in the final 3 min when Tennessee led

He diverted to a 3 man rush, got no pressure on a QB who had done poorly when getting pressure. You don't want your secondary to get "lit up" keep the pressure on them.
The lack of being prepared for that on side kick was unforgivable.

How many times have we wilted when we needed a first down? All we needed was one first down after Tennessee's first TD in the fourth quarter. This is a sickening loss. While I'm at it, I would have tried a 62-yard field goal at the end. Weather was good. The Vols did everything they could to give us this game. It turned out wasting timeouts wasn't a factor, but I really wish we would save them for late in games. And let's face it, we really didn't have an answer for the Vols' pass rush. Peyton, both Peytons actually, were the only ones who kept us in the game with gutsy plays.

How many times have we wilted when we needed a first down? All we needed was one first down after Tennessee's first TD in the fourth quarter. This is a sickening loss. While I'm at it, I would have tried a 62-yard field goal at the end. Weather was good. The Vols did everything they could to give us this game. It turned out wasting timeouts wasn't a factor, but I really wish we would save them for late in games. And let's face it, we really didn't have an answer for the Vols' pass rush. Peyton, both Peytons actually, were the only ones who kept us in the game with gutsy plays.

You would had one extra shot into the end zone to end the half with 8 seconds left and still had time to kick the FG. It was a massive coaching blunder.

With 6 or 7 min left? Would be bizarre. They certainly wouldn’t have done that in the final 3 min when Tennessee led

update: after scrolling through Twitter, it sounds like Allen got hit with the Gatorade shower that was intended for Pruitt as the two were headed to midfield for handshakes.

He diverted to a 3 man rush, got no pressure on a QB who had done poorly when getting pressure. You don't want your secondary to get "lit up" keep the pressure on them.
The lack of being prepared for that on side kick was unforgivable.
That’s not how the game is played. You give them plays in the middle of the field and keep everything in front of the secondary. The problem was that we did not execute in this type of defense all year. We shouldn’t be giving up twenty yard check downs in the middle of the field and run plays should be quickly converged on for less than ten yards. That forces the other team to run as many plays possible to score taking a lot of time off the clock.

Reactions: RedHeart
My two cents, if ok.
You guys played a great game and have a lot to look forward too. May have been a few "what the heck" coaches decisions but that's for both teams. You gotta remember, both the coaches are new head coaches, they might make some baffling decisions, but they'll learn. I honestly thought the kick was one of the dumbest things I'd ever seen...until it worked. We were down one score, four minutes left, with all our timeouts still, if it doesn't work, you guys kick a field goal and it's all over. Our Coach is called the worst coach ever, that sort of thing. Your staff did a great job with halftime adjustments, that put you in position to win, in my opinion. It looks like you might be building something there.
On a personal note, one of my sons played for Coach Allen and thinks the world of him. He says he's a players coach and the guys love playing for him, I think it shows with your team. Good luck to you guys in the future!

Last edited:
Nothing Indiana did tonight.
Compares what Seattle did in the Super Bowl by not handing the ball off.
And that game is just a tiny bigger one than tonight's game..

Reactions: Mobes
Yeah.....Allen does some things so well, and some things so poorly. I was screaming at the TV at the end of the first half. I can't fathom how a college coach can be that bad on those decisions. Not even something you have to think about.

Bottom line is, we are an average team. We did not beat a team all year with a winning record. This was our last chance. We looked horrible at times (offense in the first half) but really good at times (3rd qtr overall). But wow, what a meltdown. Tenn was 0-10 when losing after 3.....I knew they were due, and we helped them out totally.
Allen is supposed to be a special teams guy. That was quite the brain fart. How are you not be prepared for an onside kick?

Also amazed we missed an extra point and that was the difference. Between the Colts and IU's past couple of games, the kicking game has been frustrating this year.

Not to mention not having his own side kick team on with 4 minutes left. No idea what he was thinking. Only Indiana football could lose a game like that.
Tennessee had all 3 TOs left, the percentage play was to kick deep and hold to 3 and out - Pruitt crossed him up
NOBODY on our side of the stadium even considered an onsides kick in that situation
BTW, first successful onside kick for Tennessee since 2011

Back from the game.

Well, we find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Justus was terrible in the last two games. Kickers can get locked in a zone of failure. All in their head.

I would have just said the hell with it and try Campbell on the last field goal. That kid is good from long range.

Justus was done as soon as he missed the extra point.

That’s not how the game is played. You give them plays in the middle of the field and keep everything in front of the secondary. The problem was that we did not execute in this type of defense all year. We shouldn’t be giving up twenty yard check downs in the middle of the field and run plays should be quickly converged on for less than ten yards. That forces the other team to run as many plays possible to score taking a lot of time off the clock.
Those weren't checkdowns. If you note, JGwas throwing it quick to Gray, who just floated out to the open area in the underneath zone.
You played the same coverage in the previous series, Chaney noted it and took advantage of it.
Plus your D was defending the down field throw. Pull a man into the underneath zone stops one of your bracket coverages deep. Pick your poison.

Those weren't checkdowns. If you note, JGwas throwing it quick to Gray, who just floated out to the open area in the underneath zone.
You played the same coverage in the previous series, Chaney noted it and took advantage of it.
Plus your D was defending the down field throw. Pull a man into the underneath zone stops one of your bracket coverages deep. Pick your poison.
Ok, then it is essentially an inside run and it should be converged on since we are playing nine in space. It was a good play design, but we have struggled in this type of defense all year.

Reminds me of when the Saints did that onside kick against the Colts to start the half which won them the SB. I think everyone watching knew they were going to attempt the onside kick. Everyone except Jim Caldwell of course. Same thing last night.

I"m going to settle on three points.
1. Special Teams - I don't hold the Special Teams Coach responsible for missed kicks by the kicker where the snap and hold are good and there is no defensive penetration. However, I will hold him responsible for failing to prevent the onside kick and for the failure to cover the kickoff after one of our touchdowns allowing a return beyond mid field.

2. Would somebody please tell Jalen Johnson that a Touchdown isn't a Touchdown until you cross the goal line with full possession of the ball. He started to let up and showboat around the 5 yard line. One of the pursuers caught him by the leg just after he crossed the goal line. The way he was strutting around, I thought he would get flagged for taunting. Next time you get a chance to go to the end zone, run through the endline as if it is the goal line, and act like you have been there before.

3. I don't know what happened to Justus on the last field goal attempt and why he reset himself. He looked like a pro golfer who set up over a putt or tee shot and then backed off. If the Officials were holding up the play to set the play clock that is totally unacceptable as this was the first play after a time out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT