ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Dakich interview with Fife

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
Haven't listened and mixed feelings about posting anything from the host, but since we haven't heard from Dane in a while and as he's now 'Coach Fife', seemed like the thing to do.

Haven't listened and mixed feelings about posting anything from the host, but since we haven't heard from Dane in a while and as he's now 'Coach Fife', seemed like the thing to do.

Fife said they were looking for a house but not many available. There is at least one that is.

THIS... IS... GREAT!

Reactions: ndbetterman
It wasn’t a bad interview. He admitted being a used car salesman. 🤣
Loved the story about Coach Knight showing Dane his legs and saying,"You don't have legs like that so you better not be a quarterback because you will get torn up". It was Knight's way of saying, "Dane, please come to IU. I think you can do great things there".

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Loved the story about Coach Knight showing Dane his legs and saying,"You don't have legs like that so you better not be a quarterback because you will get torn up". It was Knight's way of saying, "Dane, please come to IU. I think you can do great things there".
He had cankles 😂🤣

Great interview. Fife seems like a cool dude. Cockitch is still a dweeb.
Dakich has great stories and in my view has street cred from his days playing for Knight and being assigned to guard Jordan in the tournament. Was that more than 30 years ago? Sure, but that doesn't somehow mean none of that happened.

Does Dakich go out of his way at times to be controversial? I'm among those who think he does. But Dakich is also ballsy enough to take a stand on a legitimate issue regardless of whether his stance might not be PC.

Dakich has great stories and in my view has street cred from his days playing for Knight and being assigned to guard Jordan in the tournament. Was that more than 30 years ago? Sure, but that doesn't somehow mean none of that happened.

Does Dakich go out of his way at times to be controversial? I'm among those who think he does. But Dakich is also ballsy enough to take a stand on a legitimate issue regardless of whether his stance might not be PC.

He just always has to bring himself into it. Like that interview was half about salaries and how ol Danny should have got more money. He is for sure not kidding, and really thinks he was under payed too.

If he was good at coaching it would be one thing, but he sucked so bad, I just cant forget that.

Reactions: bang63
He just always has to bring himself into it. Like that interview was half about salaries and how ol Danny should have got more money. He is for sure not kidding, and really thinks he was under payed too.

If he was good at coaching it would be one thing, but he sucked so bad, I just cant forget that.
just like Pat Knight, the only reason they got a head coaching opp is because of RMK. And when they had to sink or swim without RMK ...they sunk fast and hard.

I'm hoping that, with Woodson's hire, Dan's intermittent IU bitterness slowly fades away. I think Dan will be much more hesitant to criticize the program with an RMK favorite at the helm. IMHO.
I think you’re probably right about this. What people who criticize DD tend to ignore is that he’s basically been right regarding his criticisms of IU, while his critics who’ve defended IUs actions have largely been wrong. But I do think he’ll soften up with Woodson as the coach.

oh 100%. Gonna be very interesting to see how he is going to be controversial.
well, I, for one, would much rather listen to a DD podcast where he spends 90 minutes talking about how good the program is doing and our chances for a B1G 'ship and high NCAA seed. This entire DD-the-shock-jock (at least when it pertains to IU bball) is a result of the program floundering for the better part of the past 2 decades. If CMW succeeds, DD would have a lot of enjoyable material to discuss every day, and that might even increase his listener base. I dunno...glass half full, rainbows & unicorns thinking??

I'm hoping that, with Woodson's hire, Dan's intermittent IU bitterness slowly fades away. I think Dan will be much more hesitant to criticize the program with an RMK favorite at the helm. IMHO.
Agree. The hiring of woody and fife is as much as about building high performing teams as it is about unifying the fan base and leveraging our rich history. It amazes me how some had said following CAM’s firing that we make all these wholesale changes. It has taken decades to build a strong brand and rich history. That is a major advantage as only a few have it and it takes decades to build it. IU is leveraging this and hopefully the coaching leadership can capitalize on it. All we need are wins!

Reactions: .Gerdis
Agree. The hiring of woody and fife is as much as about building high performing teams as it is about unifying the fan base and leveraging our rich history. It amazes me how some had said following CAM’s firing that we make all these wholesale changes. It has taken decades to build a strong brand and rich history. That is a major advantage as only a few have it and it takes decades to build it. IU is leveraging this and hopefully the coaching leadership can capitalize on it. All we need are wins!
yep, the 'unification' was even mentioned during the DD/Fife chat. Of course, winning cures all ills...I had no problem with Tom Crean during the 2011/12 -2012/13 seasons...until about 90 seconds into the 'Cuse game, then I turned on him in a heartbeat when I saw how unprepared his best team ever was....and it's basically been all downhill for the program ever since.

yep, the 'unification' was even mentioned during the DD/Fife chat. Of course, winning cures all ills...I had no problem with Tom Crean during the 2011/12 -2012/13 seasons...until about 90 seconds into the 'Cuse game, then I turned on him in a heartbeat when I saw how unprepared his best team ever was....and it's basically been all downhill for the program ever since.
In hindsight, I don’t have any problems with Crean. Honestly, I think he maximized his potential which is all you can ask. While he had many flaws and the lack of preparedness and in game coaching became a trademark and obvious flaws as time went on, he was technically an “outsider” and that’s not his fault. It’s been well covered and discussed on IU’s efforts to “go a different” direction and I think Fife even spoke to this in his interview. In the words of the great Denny Green, “IU is who we we think we are” which is to say, embrace our past, our tradition and our expectation of basketball excellence. That’s who we are (once were) and as an alum and lifelong fan, that aligns with my expectations and likely, the majority of our base. All that said, the piece missing has been consistent high performance the last 30 years. There is no doubt in my mind that this expectation is supported by our AD and coaching staff. Now it’s time to ingrain that into our players and develop that culture and then ultimately, WIN! Had Crean won consistently (he bagged bother B1G outright Title in 2016), he would probably still be here. Let’s ****ing go!

Last edited:
In hindsight, I don’t have any problems with Crean. Honestly, I think he maximized his potential which is all you can ask. While he had many flaws and the lack of preparedness and in game coaching became a trademark and obvious flaws as time went on, he was technically an “outsider” and that’s not his fault. It’s been well covered and discussed on IU’s efforts to “go a different” direction and I think Fife even spoke to this in his interview. In the words of the great Denny Green, “IU is who we we think we are” which is to say, embrace our past, our tradition and our expectation of basketball excellence. That’s who we are (once were) and as an alum and lifelong fan, that aligns with my expectations and likely, the majority of our base. All that said, the piece missing has been consistent high performance the last 30 years. There is no doubt in my mind that this expectation is supported by our AD and coaching staff. Now it’s time to ingrain that into our players and develop that culture and then ultimately, WIN! Let’s ****ing go!
Coach Fife was asked by Dakich why he thought it has taken this long for IU to look inside the "family" to make a coaching hire. Fife's answer boiled down to IU wanting to create a new brand rather than build on what had already been established under Knight.

Reactions: smitty3725
Coach Fife was asked by Dakich why he thought it has taken this long for IU to look inside the "family" to make a coaching hire. Fife's answer boiled down to IU wanting to create a new brand rather than build on what had already been established under Knight.
I’ll have to go back and listen to the interview again, but I did not hear / catch that. Quite the opposite actually. Thanks. you are now forcing me to go back and listen to it again! LOL.

Edit: One comment coach Woody made us that IU basketball “Is Bob Knight”. So there’s that too. Not trying to get into a debate on Bob Knight and the future of the program. But the fact that we’ve hired two ex players who were recruited and played for Knight, then hearing why Coach Woody said, it’s tough to see us wanting to “create a new brand”. What would that brand be?

Not sure how you interpret this as building a new brand. Just listened to the interview again. Prior to this question being asked, Dane mentioned these names in the conversation leading to the Dan’s question.

Randy Whitman
Calvert cheney
Steve Alford
Dan Dakich
Bob Knight
Brian Evans
Alan Henderson

Dan Dakich: Why did it take Iu 21 years to figure this out?

Exact response from Dane:
“It Seems to me the goal was to create a new brand and that didn’t work out so much. I think ultimately what we have to do so there is a certain set of values and a certain way of to do things there that’s been established even before Coach Knight. Coach Knight just made it better. And now we’re looking for coach Woodson to take the great things that coach Knight did and more or less revitalize the program in his own name and his own way. And that is ultimately what our goal is. To revamp. Revitalize. And get this thing going again”.

Anyone see the irony in the phrase "new Brand".....?? Don't mean to stomp on a man's grave, but still....the guy was a lynchpin in the effort to re-brand IU bball...which now looks like a complete failure of a project.

Anyone see the irony in the phrase "new Brand".....?? Don't mean to stomp on a man's grave, but still....the guy was a lynchpin in the effort to re-brand IU bball...which now looks like a complete failure of a project.
I know people say that, but was he really trying to do that?

I’ll have to go back and listen to the interview again, but I did not hear / catch that. Quite the opposite actually. Thanks. you are now forcing me to go back and listen to it again! LOL.

Edit: One comment coach Woody made us that IU basketball “Is Bob Knight”. So there’s that too. Not trying to get into a debate on Bob Knight and the future of the program. But the fact that we’ve hired two ex players who were recruited and played for Knight, then hearing why Coach Woody said, it’s tough to see us wanting to “create a new brand”. What would that brand be?
Fife was referring to the IU administration wanting to get away from Knight and build a new brand for the program after his firing in 2000.

Not sure how you interpret this as building a new brand. Just listened to the interview again. Prior to this question being asked, Dane mentioned these names in the conversation leading to the Dan’s question.

Randy Whitman
Calvert cheney
Steve Alford
Dan Dakich
Bob Knight
Brian Evans
Alan Henderson

Dan Dakich: Why did it take Iu 21 years to figure this out?

Exact response from Dane:
“It Seems to me the goal was to create a new brand and that didn’t work out so much. I think ultimately what we have to do so there is a certain set of values and a certain way of to do things there that’s been established even before Coach Knight. Coach Knight just made it better. And now we’re looking for coach Woodson to take the great things that coach Knight did and more or less revitalize the program in his own name and his own way. And that is ultimately what our goal is. To revamp. Revitalize. And get this thing going again”.
You're misunderstanding me. Fife's answer was saying the university wanted to build a new brand and get away from the cult of Knight after his firing. I am glad they are returning to Knight's roots.

Reactions: aajohn2000

"sucked so bad"...damn ..I get that my last 5 yrs at BG were tough as I lost my best 3 players every yr and 4 in the last 2 yrs but damn "sucked so bad"...

"sucked so bad"...damn ..I get that my last 5 yrs at BG were tough as I lost my best 3 players every yr and 4 in the last 2 yrs but damn "sucked so bad"...
Yeah,I thought bringing up money was a little over the top!

That guy was a loon.
Purdue grad early 60s then spent yrs out at Cal Berkeley late 60s-70s (read into that whatever you choose...maybe spent yrs dropping acid to experience higher levels of spiritual existence?). Like the nerd who was picked on in school by the jocks, then made a career out of lecturing how bad organized sports are for society and academia. I remember hearing Sperber and Kent Benson in a debate over the radio soon after RMK's dismissal. Entertaining.

I liked the interview. I like all of Dan's interviews mainly because he makes each one sound like 2 friends talking instead of him repeating standard boring questions that we could all google and answer ourselves. He is good at what he does, he shares his experiences and his guests respond in kind. Whats not to like about that style?

Come on, you know Dan can coach too.

I liked the interview. I like all of Dan's interviews mainly because he makes each one sound like 2 friends talking instead of him repeating standard boring questions that we could all google and answer ourselves. He is good at what he does, he shares his experiences and his guests respond in kind. Whats not to like about that style?

Come on, you know Dan can coach too.

He is very good at what he does now. I will listen to him when he has guests like Fife on for sure. His schtick has ran its course with me, and I’m not gonna be a daily listener or anything, but the casual basketball fan will eat his shit up. He is still employed for a reason, and it ain’t his hair line. :).

By the way @Fredsbeirhaus I am proud of you for taking it home with the bald look, doesn’t that feel better than trying to place those 6 hairs up front to cover up what was happening in the back??? Props!

Oh and he was a very bad coach, he found something he is good at and isn’t going back anytime soon.

I believe Fife made the comment that will suggest to CW that IU have a parent's meeting, at which if mom and dad get on social media and criticize the coaching staff, their son will suffer the consequences. THAT is a great idea!

ADVERTISEMENT