ADVERTISEMENT

To paraphrase Simon and Garfunkel

To this day we do not know the risks. Period. Spanish Flu created a wave of Parkinson's Disease a few years after the Spanish Flu ended. Experts warn COVID-19 may increase risk of Parkinson’s disease (newatlas.com) We don't know if SARS-COV-2 will do that or not. So the course we work on is to have the economy as open as we can have it while keeping the spread as low as we can. Very few people have wanted to shut down the entire economy. it is trying to find the balance that works for most.
From your link: “Parkinson’s disease is characterized by the progressive death of dopamine-secreting neurons in the brain’s basal ganglia.”

IANAD, but evidently dopamine deficiency is a factor:

“In Parkinson's disease, certain nerve cells (neurons) in the brain gradually break down or die. Many of the symptoms are due to a loss of neurons that produce a chemical messenger in your brain called dopamine. When dopamine levels decrease, it causes abnormal brain activity, leading to impaired movement and other symptoms of Parkinson's disease.”

To extend your observation about increasing cases of Parkinson's, note that psychiatrists prescribe SSRIs (in part) to lower the dopamine a patient is producing because they believe the dopamine turbocharges the patient’s problems:

“The review suggests that dysfunctional interactions between serotonin and dopamine systems in the prefrontal cortex may be an important mechanism underlying the link between impulsive aggression and its comorbid disorders. Specifically, serotonin hypofunction may represent a biochemical trait that predisposes individuals to impulsive aggression, with dopamine hyperfunction contributing in an additive fashion to the serotonergic deficit.”

“Research has shown that pharmacological interventions such as serotonin reuptake inhibitors or antipsychotics can reduce impulsive aggression by increasing serotonergic activity or decreasing dopaminergic activity (Miczek et al., 2002; Swann, 2003).

In other words, I’m hypothesizing that drugs that lower dopamine might predispose someone to contracting Parkinson’s disease eventually.

Many choices were made that resulted in this mess. When you say “Texas” didn’t winterize, who are you talking about? The state, like all other states, doesn’t provide electricity. The PUC? Maybe but we don’t know how far its regulatory reach goes beyond overseeing rates. I live in Denver both my gas and electric is provided by a company headquartered in Minneapolis. Wholesale power off the grid is from another private company. At my former residence, power and transmission was provided by a municipally owned co-op while the city provided distribution. My cabin has another rural co-op that buys wholesale power and the co-op provides some transmission and distribution. In Texas, I have learned that customers could chose their provider much the same way consumers chose phone service after the Ma Bell breakup. The point is, there are many players in this fiasco and to suggest “Texas” didn’t do so and so doesn’t say much.

edited and made better.
Texas regulators are tasked with ensuring continuity of supply of power to its citizens. Otherwise it is a worthless entity. It’s actually that simple. Want to have a license to supply power in Texas? Sure thing, show me your test results that your equipment operates in freezing and exceedingly hot weather.

Reactions: IUINSB and DrHoops
Finally, though you still refuse to actually name the person. She is 100% wrong. See how easy it is to say that about someone wearing the same jersey.
All should take note because, as you say, it truly is that easy to say that someone wearing the same jersey is wrong.

What does Texas GOP have to do with this?

I guess I should have been more specific in defining "Texas GOP", as you seem to be taking it literally as in the Texas GOP (the party) organization as a whole...

I was actually referring to the specific members of the Legislature and Statehouse who have controlled the state since 2003 and who are coincidentally members of the GOP...

Texas,at the state level has been solely under the control of Republicans for basically the entirety of the 21st Century. The Legislature (barring special session) only meets once every two years for a 5 month session which means their Legislative agenda is extremely limited and greatly shaped by the issues they prioritize...

After the crippling storm of 2011, the Legislature passed a bill demanding "a report to assess how Texas could ensure reliable electric service during extreme weather events", which the state's Public Utility Commission subsequently supplied. However due to the limited amount of available Legislative sessions and the insistence of people in control of the Legislative agenda to prioritize silly divisive social issues, the basic recommendations of the report (like requiring/incentivizing the power companies to WINTERIZE) were never implemented..

"Instead, Republicans, who have controlled every statewide office and both houses of the legislature since 2003, have prioritized social battles like Patrick’s national anthem crusade. In their zeal, they’ve often neglected ho-hum tasks like winterizing the energy grid, against the advice they themselves commissioned. That lack of interest is the backdrop against which some 4 million Texans lost power at the height of the crisis, while many more were left without drinkable water and dozens died."

Reactions: IU_Hickory
It's nothing unusual. COH regularly gets owned by those he thinks are his Intellectual inferiors. Yet stoll and mcm make him out to be some kind of giant. It's both hard and fun to observe.
Lmao please. He reels you in every time like the sucker you are. It’s always entertaining to watch. A bastardized version of the socratic method. moves the goalposts. then you guys get all pissed off and sling insults at him. and he doesn't respond. just moves on to the next topic. It's both hard and fun to observe.

Last edited:
Texas regulators are tasked with ensuring continuity of supply of power to its citizens. Otherwise it is a worthless entity. It’s actually that simple. Want to have a license to supply power in Texas? Sure thing, show me your test results that your equipment operates in freezing and exceedingly hot weather.
I guess I should have been more specific in defining "Texas GOP", as you seem to be taking it literally as in the Texas GOP (the party) organization as a whole...

I was actually referring to the specific members of the Legislature and Statehouse who have controlled the state since 2003 and who are coincidentally members of the GOP...

Texas,at the state level has been solely under the control of Republicans for basically the entirety of the 21st Century. The Legislature (barring special session) only meets once every two years for a 5 month session which means their Legislative agenda is extremely limited and greatly shaped by the issues they prioritize...

After the crippling storm of 2011, the Legislature passed a bill demanding "a report to assess how Texas could ensure reliable electric service during extreme weather events", which the state's Public Utility Commission subsequently supplied. However due to the limited amount of available Legislative sessions and the insistence of people in control of the Legislative agenda to prioritize silly divisive social issues, the basic recommendations of the report (like requiring/incentivizing the power companies to WINTERIZE) were never implemented..

"Instead, Republicans, who have controlled every statewide office and both houses of the legislature since 2003, have prioritized social battles like Patrick’s national anthem crusade. In their zeal, they’ve often neglected ho-hum tasks like winterizing the energy grid, against the advice they themselves commissioned. That lack of interest is the backdrop against which some 4 million Texans lost power at the height of the crisis, while many more were left without drinkable water and dozens died."

Green energy, wind, solar, and hydro performed the absolute worst during the power outage. Do you know the typical way wind turbines are winterized? They shut them down and then the turbines consume electricity from the grid in order to keep the generators and gearboxes warm. I don’t know if Texas did this or not
In cold weather the turbines suck power. The way to fix that is to have more thermal in reserve.

The Texas problem was the freeze-offs at the gas production and processing facilities—not at the electric generating facilities. Ordinarily, Texas has about 4 freeze-offs per season while states like North Dakota have 20. The problem in Texas was electricity demand was at record levels while the freeze-off was wider and deeper than ever. Texas dominant electric production is NG with coal having been deliberately taken out of the picture and the green sources becoming useless. This outage was mostly about a perfect storm than it was bad planning.

Yapping about Texas GOP or other legislative mismanagement is just stupid political yapping which we already have too much of. The real solution to all these issues is to go full throttle nuclear—which performed the best. But nooooo, we want more dumbass windmills because the Democrats like them and people have learned to game the federal subsidies to make a bunch of money.

Green energy, wind, solar, and hydro performed the absolute worst during the power outage. Do you know the typical way wind turbines are winterized? They shut them down and then the turbines consume electricity from the grid in order to keep the generators and gearboxes warm. I don’t know if Texas did this or not
In cold weather the turbines suck power. The way to fix that is to have more thermal in reserve.

The Texas problem was the freeze-offs at the gas production and processing facilities—not at the electric generating facilities. Ordinarily, Texas has about 4 freeze-offs per season while states like North Dakota have 20. The problem in Texas was electricity demand was at record levels while the freeze-off was wider and deeper than ever. Texas dominant electric production is NG with coal having been deliberately taken out of the picture and the green sources becoming useless. This outage was mostly about a perfect storm than it was bad planning.

Yapping about Texas GOP or other legislative mismanagement is just stupid political yapping which we already have too much of. The real solution to all these issues is to go full throttle nuclear—which performed the best. But nooooo, we want more dumbass windmills because the Democrats like them and people have learned to game the federal subsidies to make a bunch of money.
I’m fully onboard the nuclear train - have been for over a decade. And I’m not advocating for “better” windmills. I’m saying that Texas ****ed up by not being prepared and people died. Is it a political thing? I don’t need to go there but it’s also politics to say “we didn’t **** up it was a fluke!”

Good leaders learn from mistakes and make changes.

I’m fully onboard the nuclear train - have been for over a decade. And I’m not advocating for “better” windmills. I’m saying that Texas ****ed up by not being prepared and people died. Is it a political thing? I don’t need to go there but it’s also politics to say “we didn’t **** up it was a fluke!”

Good leaders learn from mistakes and make changes.

A bad result is not evidence of a mistake.

How often is it above freezing in Antarctica? They have a wind farm, does it only run twice a year? In Sweden they run to -22 below, Why Wind Turbines In Cold Climates Don’t Freeze: De-Icing And Carbon Fiber (forbes.com). If cold weather turbines are a power suck as you suggest, why doesn't Sweden just switch them off because if they use more power than they generate it is plain stupid to leave them on.

It was bad planning, they knew in 2011 this was possible because it happened. Gomer used to say, fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I like Bill Gates' TerraPower's idea of using liquid sodium instead of water to cool nuclear reactors. Water creates a lot of pressure when things go wrong, and we know that it can go wrong. Liquid sodium creates far less pressure so containment facilities are much less likely to fail. But of course, Gates is probably microchipping the power.

Bill Gates promotes nuclear power in U.S. | Opinion | fergusfallsjournal.com

Lmao please. He reels you in every time like the sucker you are. It’s always entertaining to watch. A bastardized version of the socratic method. moves the goalposts. then you guys get all pissed off and sling insults at him. and he doesn't respond. just moves on to the next topic. It's both hard and fun to observe.

Are you saying COH is the equivalent of Mas?

Hey, has anyone seen Mas, COH and Danc at the same time?

Are you saying COH is the equivalent of Mas?

Hey, has anyone seen Mas, COH and Danc at the same time?
nope. i trust they believe what they write. coh is entertaining himself.... that unclebulk and the rest lash out is both hard and fun to observe

nope. i trust they believe what they write. coh is entertaining himself.... that unclebulk and the rest lash out is both hard and fun to observe
If "lashing out" equals challenging his BS, then lash on!

Meanwhile, you guys are all like:

4ij6dgr.gif

Ah, another played out trope from "The Defeated Handbook": "When another poster responds to you, claim he/she is triggered."
Gotta love the classics.
Irony. Watching you interact is like watching a first year law student from a bad college. But then again you don't really ever post content. Just snipes. you're a pretty vapid poster.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Irony. Watching you interact is like watching a first year law student from a bad college. But then again you don't really ever post content. Just snipes. you're a pretty vapid dude.
LMAO...Triggered.
(Easy, fun, and mindless way to respond...I see why you embrace it.)

As far as your law school student analogy, that's pretty funny considering how badly Noodle destroyed you when you bragged about using your knowledge to rip off a bank. (Triggered response in 3...2...1...)

I trust MAS and DANC believe what they write. I may disagree with them 99.99% of the time, but I have no doubt they believe it. I don't feel that way with CO. I think he loves playing games. Same with MTIOTF. It may come from being lawyer, who knows. I have no doubt both are extremely intelligent. MTIOF's brother said a while back that MTIOF is smarter than him. That may be, but Rockport's posts were much, much better and I wish he would come back. I think MTIOF and CO believe not just they are the smartest people here (and they might be) but they believe that gap is immense. I know from my high school days the smartest person I knew, maybe ever, was that way. He was easily bored so would argue any point, any time, about anything.

It might be the inner lawyer in them, must advocate all the time even if one's personal conviction is different. I don't know. I've met CO and had dinner with him, away from here I think we would do great. I think if I met MTIOTF at a football game we'd have a blast. But here, something seems way off with them compared to other conservatives. You are conservative, Sparty is conservative, Ranger, Twenty, Jamie, Crazy. I don't get the feeling any of you are here just playing a game. I certainly don't get that from MAS, DANC, or Farva either.

Reactions: UncleMark
LMAO...Triggered.
(Easy, fun, and mindless way to respond...I see why you embrace it.)

As far as your law school student analogy, that's pretty funny considering how badly Noodle destroyed you when you bragged about using your knowledge to rip off a bank. (Triggered response in 3...2...1...)
Bwahahahaha. Snipe, snipe, snipe, and whine and pout. Here's an idea. Get off the board and get some vitamins and go for a run.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
I trust MAS and DANC believe what they write. I may disagree with them 99.99% of the time, but I have no doubt they believe it. I don't feel that way with CO. I think he loves playing games. Same with MTIOTF. It may come from being lawyer, who knows. I have no doubt both are extremely intelligent. MTIOF's brother said a while back that MTIOF is smarter than him. That may be, but Rockport's posts were much, much better and I wish he would come back. I think MTIOF and CO believe not just they are the smartest people here (and they might be) but they believe that gap is immense. I know from my high school days the smartest person I knew, maybe ever, was that way. He was easily bored so would argue any point, any time, about anything.

It might be the inner lawyer in them, must advocate all the time even if one's personal conviction is different. I don't know. I've met CO and had dinner with him, away from here I think we would do great. I think if I met MTIOTF at a football game we'd have a blast. But here, something seems way off with them compared to other conservatives. You are conservative, Sparty is conservative, Ranger, Twenty, Jamie, Crazy. I don't get the feeling any of you are here just playing a game. I certainly don't get that from MAS, DANC, or Farva either.
I agree with everything you write here Marv and in particular what you write with coh and mtiotf. it's pretty obvious.

I don't feel that way with CO. I think he loves playing games.

You are the one who claims to be the gamer not me. I like to split hairs and tear into fine nuances of ideas and positions. When I see statements like “windmills work in Norway,” “The Texas GOP is at fault” or simply “Texas is responsible” I’ll wade in if I am otherwise interested in a topic. Often the poster I try to engage can’t, or perhaps won’t, get passed their original meaningless platitude. I don’t think that makes me smarter, but I think I might give more effort. A couple of weeks ago, I had an email exchange with a local talk show host about impeachment. We went back and forth most of the morning with disagreement, arguments and mutual respect. And no name calling! That was fun. I keep looking for that here, but it seldom happens. Sooner or later, all discussions become about posters instead of about issues and ideas.

All that being said, I think your obsession with the AOC quote was not a good look for you.

It's called bad faith posting.
I can understand that; and I don't necessarily disagree with your impression, but why does it matter? If it promotes discussion and exchange - as I believe COH wrote just the other day something along the lines of it not being about "winning" an argument .... the energy discussion has been the best thread on here in days. I know nothing about energy and the texas grid and have enjoyed learning

most of what transpires on the board is a link to something some partisan politician did that was dumb followed by a series of partisan yabuts

You are the one who claims to be the gamer not me. I like to split hairs and tear into fine nuances of ideas and positions. When I see statements like “windmills work in Norway,” “The Texas GOP is at fault” or simply “Texas is responsible” I’ll wade in if I am otherwise interested in a topic. Often the poster I try to engage can’t, or perhaps won’t, get passed their original meaningless platitude. I don’t think that makes me smarter, but I think I might give more effort. A couple of weeks ago, I had an email exchange with a local talk show host about impeachment. We went back and forth most of the morning with disagreement, arguments and mutual respect. And no name calling! That was fun. I keep looking for that here, but it seldom happens. Sooner or later, all discussions become about posters instead of about issues and ideas.

All that being said, I think your obsession with the AOC quote was not a good look for you.

What obsession, I wanted to know who said it and you refused to say. I do not get why. If you like tearing into specifics, why would you complain about a quote and not provide the author?

Note in the thread starter, I quoted the articles on Buckley's and Reagan's attitudes on JBS and linked the articles. I didn't provide a paraphrase and say go find it yourself. How can I year into nuances with a paraphrase of a quote from an unknown person?

What obsession, I wanted to know who said it and you refused to say. I do not get why. If you like tearing into specifics, why would you complain about a quote and not provide the author?

Note in the thread starter, I quoted the articles on Buckley's and Reagan's attitudes on JBS and linked the articles. I didn't provide a paraphrase and say go find it yourself. How can I year into nuances with a paraphrase of a quote from an unknown person?

I don’t provide a lot of links. Back when I wrote briefs, I didn’t provide a lot of citations. I’d rather provide my own position and arguments. I think links and citations are often crutches. I don’t understand your point about knowing who said what in history. I’d rather discuss applying conservative ideas to current events without burdening the discussion about the particulars of WFB’s opinions.

You should have known that quote was AOC’s. But I understand now that you thought I lied about it. So much for mutual respect.

I don’t provide a lot of links. Back when I wrote briefs, I didn’t provide a lot of citations. I’d rather provide my own position and arguments. I think links and citations are often crutches. I don’t understand your point about knowing who said what in history. I’d rather discuss applying conservative ideas to current events without burdening the discussion about the particulars of WFB’s opinions.

You should have known that quote was AOC’s. But I understand now that you thought I lied about it. So much for mutual respect.

I DID NOT KNOW IT WAS FROM AOC. You assume the worst. I don't follow her on Twitter, I am amazed you do. I don't follow the Georgian rep (Greene?) on Twitter either, what I know about both of them is what I read here.

You claim to LOVE nuance, here is a definition "a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound ." If I am going to go down that damn rabbit hole with you, I have to know who it is. That is more than subtle. I'll let you get back to reading AOC tweets.

I DID NOT KNOW IT WAS FROM AOC. You assume the worst. I don't follow her on Twitter, I am amazed you do. I don't follow the Georgian rep (Greene?) on Twitter either, what I know about both of them is what I read here.

You claim to LOVE nuance, here is a definition "a subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound ." If I am going to go down that damn rabbit hole with you, I have to know who it is. That is more than subtle. I'll let you get back to reading AOC tweets.

I don’t need to know who said that Jewish lasers started the fires to know thats stupid.

I don’t need to know who said that Jewish lasers started the fires to know thats stupid.

Is that nuance?

Do people think I am some kind of diabolical mastermind baiting you into saying it is AOC so I can pounce and embarrass you with some extremely brilliant move? I ain't near that smart or clever.

When we are discussing fringes, it matters. AOC and Greene are on an equal election footing, so that is a fair comparison. If it was said by some Joe from Earth First, then it wouldn't be the same at all.

Back when I wrote briefs, I didn’t provide a lot of citations. I’d rather provide my own position and arguments. I think links and citations are often crutches.
Is that what they taught you in Legal Research and Writing? That citations are often crutches? What a crock.

Then again, when one is as brilliant as you think you are, who needs legal authority or precedent?!

Is that what they taught you in Legal Research and Writing? That citations are often crutches? What a crock.

Then again, when one is as brilliant as you think you are, who needs legal authority or precedent?!

I was taught to use my mind. Those who excessively rely on citations and links to make their case have weak minds and lack confidence.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
How often is it above freezing in Antarctica? They have a wind farm, does it only run twice a year? In Sweden they run to -22 below, Why Wind Turbines In Cold Climates Don’t Freeze: De-Icing And Carbon Fiber (forbes.com). If cold weather turbines are a power suck as you suggest, why doesn't Sweden just switch them off because if they use more power than they generate it is plain stupid to leave them on.

It was bad planning, they knew in 2011 this was possible because it happened. Gomer used to say, fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I like Bill Gates' TerraPower's idea of using liquid sodium instead of water to cool nuclear reactors. Water creates a lot of pressure when things go wrong, and we know that it can go wrong. Liquid sodium creates far less pressure so containment facilities are much less likely to fail. But of course, Gates is probably microchipping the power.

Bill Gates promotes nuclear power in U.S. | Opinion | fergusfallsjournal.com
Once again, COH is just making stuff up.

I was taught to use my mind. Those who excessively rely on citations and links to make their case have weak minds and lack confidence.

Thanks, when I commented that you and MTIOTF not only believe you are the smartest here but believe you are by an exceedingly wide margin, I didn't have a citation like above to use.

Signed,

one of the weak minds

Thanks, when I commented that you and MTIOTF not only believe you are the smartest here but believe you are by an exceedingly wide margin, I didn't have a citation like above to use.

Signed,

one of the weak minds

Sorry you feel that way. Frankly, I don't think I've changed or gotten smarter. The board has gone down hill and gotten dumber. I thought we had a pretty good thread going here, not excellent, but pretty good. Then Mark, Goat, Bulk started in with personal comments, and then you. I allowed myself to get sucked with a couple of posts.

Carry on. I'm otta here.

ADVERTISEMENT