ADVERTISEMENT

To paraphrase Simon and Garfunkel

CoH, being subject to naivete, i sorta agree with you when you wish for a "government not driven by special interests, money, unaccountable bureaucratic momentum, and influence peddling" ?

When did we have such a government ?

is there really such a thing as a benevolent dictator?

We can’t make it perfect. I think we can make it better.

Reactions: hoot1
The only power Texas had for days was from thermal. Not all of it froze. I didn’t say additional reserves would have kept the system at 100%. I think additional reserves would have reduced the damage. Don’t forget that demand was at a historic maximum. That would stress any system.

Or they could have winterized the systems. I saw a news story on ABC that 10 years ago Texas had a winter storm and had power problems. They held hearings and the state legislators vowed to winterize the system. They did not.

NG FROZE, coal FROZE. You only focus on the problem with green energy and not the rest.

Did you see Bill Gates' interview where he said he was investing in nuclear? But that is in addition to green energy

Last call, who made the quote?

Or they could have winterized the systems. I saw a news story on ABC that 10 years ago Texas had a winter storm and had power problems. They held hearings and the state legislators vowed to winterize the system. They did not.

NG FROZE, coal FROZE. You only focus on the problem with green energy and not the rest.

Did you see Bill Gates' interview where he said he was investing in nuclear? But that is in addition to green energy

Last call, who made the quote?

Sigh. Some thermal froze.

In many respects that’s how it ought to be - but once you spend time with your state legislators it can be eye opening...election can be a really low bar at that level
First job out of college I worked with a guy that was a city county councilman. I’m 95% sure he peed sitting down. Weird.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
To this day we do not know the risks. Period. Spanish Flu created a wave of Parkinson's Disease a few years after the Spanish Flu ended. Experts warn COVID-19 may increase risk of Parkinson’s disease (newatlas.com) We don't know if SARS-COV-2 will do that or not. So the course we work on is to have the economy as open as we can have it while keeping the spread as low as we can. Very few people have wanted to shut down the entire economy. it is trying to find the balance that works for most.
Your link is purely speculative.

Got a link to that Spanish Flu connection?

Sigh. Some thermal froze.

So I take it you admit you made up the quote in the first post. No wonder you dispute intellectual honesty.

13% of coal froze, 25% of NG. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-the-deep-freeze-caused-texas-to-lose-power/

NONE of it needed to freeze, NONE NONE NONE NONE NONE. NOT THE NG, NOT THE COAL, NOT THE WIND.

Texas refused to deal with a problem they knew existed. But you ignore that fact and just chant "wind sucks" with your fingers in your ears. Alaska generates power year round, and from wind. Norway does it. Did no one share the secret with Texas?

And what about Buckley? You don't like a thread so you go in and make sure anything but the source is discussed. Have you read those two articles?

Nice "distract and deflect," Danny, with a false accusation sprinkled in for good measure - - straight from your hero's playbook.

Your post that I responded to was asinine and absurd. There will be no "Trump Shitshow - Part 2." I know this is a tough reality for you, friend, but try to come to grips with it.
Was your post supposed to have a purpoose? You're just babbling now.

You are are gutsy to respond to my posts after being proved wrong so often, I'll give you that.

CoH, being subject to naivete, i sorta agree with you when you wish for a "government not driven by special interests, money, unaccountable bureaucratic momentum, and influence peddling" ?

Julius Caesar. Until the Democrats killed him. (I keed, I keed)

So I take it you admit you made up the quote in the first post. No wonder you dispute intellectual honesty.

13% of coal froze, 25% of NG. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-the-deep-freeze-caused-texas-to-lose-power/

NONE of it needed to freeze, NONE NONE NONE NONE NONE. NOT THE NG, NOT THE COAL, NOT THE WIND.

Texas refused to deal with a problem they knew existed. But you ignore that fact and just chant "wind sucks" with your fingers in your ears. Alaska generates power year round, and from wind. Norway does it. Did no one share the secret with Texas?

And what about Buckley? You don't like a thread so you go in and make sure anything but the source is discussed. Have you read those two articles?

The demand for power was at the historic maximum. Lack of useful reserves was an issue. You posted that reserves was 10% over 2020 maximum. That’s the same as nothing. There are many reasons to call on reserves besides freezing. Freezing was also an issue. I never denied that.

The demand for power was at the historic maximum. Lack of useful reserves was an issue. You posted that reserves was 10% over 2020 maximum. That’s the same as nothing. There are many reasons to call on reserves besides freezing. Freezing was also an issue. I never denied that.

10% surplus over peak is nothing?

Second, if that is not sufficient why not join one of the two national grids to get more power when needed?

How much over peak do other states have? I will guess that it isn't much different. I know there have been summers we have been told to conserve. I know our power companies will give us a deal if we sign up for a system that allows them to do rolling blackouts. But we have the national grid.

Texas made a lot of mistakes. I sincerely hope they winterize and join the federal system.

The Dems were smart to lock Joe in his basement and make it all about Trump, without ever seriously examining Biden and Harris, in particular. Republican campaign did not focus enough on Joe's history of lying and being wrong on virtually every subject.

How could anyone SUCCESSFULLY focus on "Joe's history of lying" when Joe's opponent is Donald Trump? Have you even looked at polling on whether people believe Trump lies almost on a routine daily basis? Obviously, you feel differently but trying to convince 80 Million people that Trump is somehow less of a liar and more trustworthy than Joe Biden had less than 0% of being a "winning strategy"

And being right? Exactly what issue (except for maybe exaggerated credit for the economy) do you think a sizable amount of Dems and Independents feel Trump is on the right side of?

The difference between 2016 and 2020 is that in 2016 a significant degree of apathy among key Dem voting blocks combined with a willingness to experiment with a non-politician who claimed to be a "successful" businessman allowed Trump to steal an electoral victory by winning some key states.

In 2016 Trump represented an unknown quantity and an agent of change and some folks were fooled into thinking he would be a change for the better. That argument was a LOT harder to make in 2020 when he had a RECORD, and it was one that overwhelming numbers of (formerly apathetic) people among both Dems and Independents found repugnant...

So the question is not which issues did most GOP voters agree with Trump on, but rather which issues did the US electorate as a whole agree with him on? I submit there were not many...

How could anyone SUCCESSFULLY focus on "Joe's history of lying" when Joe's opponent is Donald Trump? Have you even looked at polling on whether people believe Trump lies almost on a routine daily basis?
Because lying is lying is lying. Unless it’s not - but it is. People like me voted for neither candidate - and me in a swing state - because I find them both to be equally unqualified. Biden is clearly in cognitive decline and a serial liar. Trump is a repugnant human.

He got more than his fair share on national outlets - outlets that praised him because of how “good” his briefings were. Because he wasn’t Trump. Because he was what they wanted to show as strong leadership from a Democrat. Turns out his ideas and actions led to thousands of unnecessary deaths. This was obvious last summer but it took until after the media got rid of Trump for them to start reporting on it. All media is fake news.

I have no problem with you taking Cuomo to task here. But it's strange that in the same thread you and the four particular posters who gave your post a "like" have all seemingly endorsed the idea of Ron DeSantis as someone you would actually VOTE for?

How can anyone objectively condemn Cuomo for mistakes he made early on when the disease and spread were still relatively new, and then turn around and give a cretin like DeSantis a pass for the thousands of Floridians who died AFTER what happened early on in New York, many of them in the recurrence of the late summer/fall when they should have known better?

I don't think it's an accident that the 2nd wave catastrophe seemed to be concentrated in (along with CA which includes huge swaths of people predisposed to downplay the virus's effects) the states of FL, Texas, and AZ. Three states with pro-Trump Governors who insisted on rushing to open their states back up too early? The idea that Anyone would hold Ron DeSantis up as some example of brilliant Covid policy implementation strikes me as Bonkers...:eek:

I have no problem with you taking Cuomo to task here. But it's strange that in the same thread you and the four particular posters who gave your post a "like" have all seemingly endorsed the idea of Ron DeSantis as someone you would actually VOTE for?

How can anyone objectively condemn Cuomo for mistakes he made early on when the disease and spread were still relatively new, and then turn around and give a cretin like DeSantis a pass for the thousands of Floridians who died AFTER what happened early on in New York, many of them in the recurrence of the late summer/fall when they should have known better?

I don't think it's an accident that the 2nd wave catastrophe seemed to be concentrated in (along with CA which includes huge swaths of people predisposed to downplay the virus's effects) the states of FL, Texas, and AZ. Three states with pro-Trump Governors who insisted on rushing to open their states back up too early? The idea that Anyone would hold Ron DeSantis up as some example of brilliant Covid policy implementation strikes me as Bonkers...:eek:
Brilliant? I agree - not brilliant. None of our leaders have been brilliant because it’s an impossible situation.

You vilify deSantis because of the activist media campaign that’s against him. Look at the Florida statistics and you’ll see a state that has done a relatively good job of keeping business running while advising the at risk to stay home and their deaths per capita reflect that. The media is not the friend of the truth.

There is one public official in the United States dumb enough to say this. No, I’m not telling you who said it. Figure it out for yourself.

The infrastructure failures in Texas are quite literally what happens when you *don’t* pursue a Green New Deal.

Because lying is lying is lying. Unless it’s not - but it is. People like me voted for neither candidate - and me in a swing state - because I find them both to be equally unqualified. Biden is clearly in cognitive decline and a serial liar. Trump is a repugnant human.

Biden's "lying" compared to Trump's is like the Single A-League winner challenging the World Series Champion in a 7 game series. No Contest!

Obviously you don't agree. But the polling isn't even close to who is the biggest liar, and I was responding to Danc's ridiculous assertion that a "successful" GOP strategy is to try and paint Biden as anywhere close to as big a liar as Trump. Do you really think obscure events like failing to cite the original orator of a phrase in a speech comes close (as a lie) to DAILY lies on a regular basis emanating from the bully pulpit for the past 4 yrs?

A prime example- take Trump's lie regarding crowd size at his Inauguration, compared to Obama. It was an obvious lie, comparing the simultaneous photos of the respective days taken at the exact same point in the proceedings provides definitive proof. Trump even doubled down, Spicer made the rounds and just looked more foolish every day and it became fodder for late-night and SNL.

People could see the difference with their own eyes, and it was just a ridiculously needless lie which set the tone in millions of people's eyes that Trump was a liar. In fact I'm almost willing to bet that the average citizen when asked to state the most striking thing that they remember about both Inaugurations would probably say that Trump lied and repeatedly tried to claim that more people attended his even though the pics (which everyone has seen) showed the Obama crowd was much larger...

There is one public official in the United States dumb enough to say this. No, I’m not telling you who said it. Figure it out for yourself.
The infrastructure failures in Texas are quite literally what happens when you *don’t* pursue a Green New Deal.
Everyone knows who said that. We’ve been told for years now that she isn’t the pulse of the party. I still want to believe it but it’s getting harder. She’s an absolute clown.

But I fully agree with Marv that this is on Texas for not winterizing their infrastructure.

Biden's "lying" compared to Trump's is like the Single A-League winner challenging the World Series Champion in a 7 game series. No Contest!

Obviously you don't agree. But the polling isn't even close to who is the biggest liar, and I was responding to Danc's ridiculous assertion that a "successful" GOP strategy is to try and paint Biden as anywhere close to as big a liar as Trump. Do you really think obscure events like failing to cite the original orator of a phrase in a speech comes close (as a lie) to DAILY lies on a regular basis emanating from the bully pulpit?

A prime example- take Trump's lie regarding crowd size at his Inauguration, compared to Obama. It was an obvious lie, comparing the simultaneous photos of the respective days taken at the exact same point in the proceedings provides definitive proof. Trump even doubled down, Spicer made the rounds and just looked more foolish every day and it became fodder for late-night and SNL.

People could see the difference with their own eyes, and it was just a ridiculously needless lie which set the tone in millions of people's eyes that Trump was a liar. In fact I'm almost willing to bet that the average citizen when asked to state the most striking thing that they remember about both Inaugurations would probably say that Trump lied and repeatedly tried to claim that more people attended his even though the pics (which everyone has seen) showed the Obama crowd was much larger...
If you’re trying to get me to defend Trump you’re gonna have a bad time. I want the country to do better. Biden isn’t better enough to overlook his cognitive decline and it really continues to chap my ass how badly the media threw in their hats for him. That’s not ok. The news is all fake now and that’s on the people wearing your jersey.

I’m on the team not wearing a jersey now and even though I can accomplish good physical things at my age I still need to wear a shirt.

Finally, though you still refuse to actually name the person. She is 100% wrong. See how easy it is to say that about someone wearing the same jersey.

Brilliant? I agree - not brilliant. None of our leaders have been brilliant because it’s an impossible situation.

You vilify deSantis because of the activist media campaign that’s against him. Look at the Florida statistics and you’ll see a state that has done a relatively good job of keeping business running while advising the at risk to stay home and their deaths per capita reflect that. The media is not the friend of the truth.

Not to mention the fact Florida has one of the oldest population in America. I believe they're 2nd oldest.

Cosmikid only knows what he's told by CNN and MSNBC. He's a copy and paste wiz-kid - when he has to posts his actual thoughts, he gets lost.

Great cause. Nice work.
Thanks Doc but we never did too well. Missouri between the cities is something else. The largest exotic animal auction in the US is in central mo. We made some legislative progress on the puppy mills but the exotic animal shit here is awful. The Tiger King might as well be our gov. Lots of sad roadside shit and privately owned “pets.”

Green energy provides zero backup base load capacity in the event of unexpected failure. Coal and NG fired boilers and turbines can provide that reserve capacity. There wasn’t base load reserve available. Why no adequate reserve capacity is the question. Part of the answer for those who are interested in finding an honest answer will be a subsidized rate structure in favor of more expensive renewables and not to building a reserve capacity.

Not sure any of that explains the reasons the Texas GOP refused to undertake essential tasks like winterizing the existing energy grid. Part of it seems to be a preponderance to deal with imaginary social/cultural issues as part of an appeal to a shrinking base.

But I think this simple statement from Raul Castro hits the nail on the head as to why Texas was unprepared to deal with the tragedy...

Texas has been in the hands of people who don’t believe in government in the first place,” former San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro (D) said at a press conference last Friday. “It’s a crisis of leadership that has real consequences for families across the state.”

Yeah I too wondered WHO CoH thought he was talking about whilst wistfully reminiscing?

I suspect he was implying that is how he saw the govt under Trump. Which strikes me as bizarre since I think it's pretty obvious all of those negative traits he listed were equally present if not more so under the Trump criminal enterprises (masquerading as a family-run business) that's been in place in DC for the past 4 yrs...

Reactions: hoot1
If you’re trying to get me to defend Trump you’re gonna have a bad time. I want the country to do better. Biden isn’t better enough to overlook his cognitive decline and it really continues to chap my ass how badly the media threw in their hats for him. That’s not ok. The news is all fake now and that’s on the people wearing your jersey.

I’m on the team not wearing a jersey now and even though I can accomplish good physical things at my age I still need to wear a shirt.

Actually, I wasn't trying to get you to defend anything. My post was a rebuttal to DANC's ridiculous claim that a winning strategy for the GOP (whose candidate was Trump) was to somehow try and paint Biden as a bigger liar than Trump. My point is it's ridiculous to assert that when your candidate is widely regarded as one of the biggest serial liars to even be elected POTUS that it's somehow a "winning strategy" to try and paint his opponent as a liar. It was really that simple, as far as the reason I replied to DANC in the first place...

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
Everyone knows who said that. We’ve been told for years now that she isn’t the pulse of the party. I still want to believe it but it’s getting harder. She’s an absolute clown.

But I fully agree with Marv that this is on Texas for not winterizing their infrastructure.

Many choices were made that resulted in this mess. When you say “Texas” didn’t winterize, who are you talking about? The state, like all other states, doesn’t provide electricity. The PUC? Maybe but we don’t know how far its regulatory reach goes beyond overseeing rates. I live in Denver both my gas and electric is provided by a company headquartered in Minneapolis. Wholesale power off the grid is from another private company. At my former residence, power and transmission was provided by a municipally owned co-op while the city provided distribution. My cabin has another rural co-op that buys wholesale power and the co-op provides some transmission and distribution. In Texas, I have learned that customers could chose their provider much the same way consumers chose phone service after the Ma Bell breakup. The point is, there are many players in this fiasco and to suggest “Texas” didn’t do so and so doesn’t say much.

edited and made better.

Last edited:
Finally, though you still refuse to actually name the person. She is 100% wrong. See how easy it is to say that about someone wearing the same jersey.

The amazing thing is how hung up you got on a silly quote. I think you knew who said it all along. You just wanted to yank my chain.

ADVERTISEMENT