ADVERTISEMENT

TMP. TommyCracker. Amp Techs ... ?

Warison

Hall of Famer
Dec 13, 2010
I know this isn't the right place .... but eff it.

My Marshall DSL40c ... turns on, plays for about 10 to 15 minutes, then all the sound drops out. I turn it off. Let it rest. Turn it back on, play about another 5 - 10 minutes, then again, no sound.

Also, there is a slight crackle in the red channel when I turn it on then it goes away after a second or two.

Also, sometimes it doesn't sound like it has that Marshall 'roar', you know that 'growl', that 'scratch'.

Since I've owned it, it just sounds like a dark amp.

I've been reading the Marshall/guitar forums, seems like this is not an unknown problem.

I'm losing my mind.

I'm taking it to Sweetwater today. Ugh.

Reactions: T.M.P.

My Marshall DSL40c ... turns on, plays for about 10 to 15 minutes, then all the sound drops out. I turn it off. Let it rest. Turn it back on, play about another 5 - 10 minutes, then again, no sound.

Also, there is a slight crackle in the red channel when I turn it on then it goes away after a second or two.

Also, sometimes it doesn't sound like it has that Marshall 'roar', you know that 'growl', that 'scratch'.

I've been reading the Marshall/guitar forums, seems like this is not an unknown problem.

I'm losing my mind.

New tubes and get off dial up.

Reactions: dr.jb and Warison
Yep check tubes first, especially preamp tubes. Could be a short somewhere too, maybe at the transformer. Could be all sorts of things. The guys at Sweetwater will figure it out.

1200px-Elektronenroehren-auswahl.jpg

DistortedEmptyEgret-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Cream&Crimson

I'm losing my mind.

Stop playing Lindsey Buckingham. It will get its balls back.

I'm losing my mind.

I was going to suggest you take it in. I do my own work on guitars but have never messed with an amp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warison
Yep check tubes first, especially preamp tubes. Could be a short somewhere too, maybe at the transformer. Could be all sorts of things. The guys at Sweetwater will figure it out.

When my preamp tubes go, they make a hellacious high pitched sound.....but then that’s a bass amp.

Reactions: Warison
Speaking of tube amps, I just bought this little dude for recording work:
av-sp1-6_front.png

VHT Special 6 Combo

Single-ended all tube amp, and hand wired . Lot of people are modding this one out with different tubes, and messing with the tone shaping circuit. VHT even encourages it by provided the schematic. And I got it used for less than $200. Unheard of for that price in a tube / hand-wired amp and build quality is excellent. So far I like it. Probably will do a tube swap on it at some point though.

ADVERTISEMENT