ADVERTISEMENT

TJD Tonight Against the Celts

Middawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2020
Great effort and a plus minus machine, (+25), in GS's come from behind OT win over the Celts.

In 29 mins, he logged 10 pts and 13 boards. Played the entire 4th and OT with a two min breather in the 4th.

Golden St. has Denver on Christmas afternoon, will be a showcase opportunity for TJD.

Great effort and a plus minus machine, (+25), in GS's come from behind OT win over the Celts.

In 29 mins, he logged 10 pts and 13 boards. Played the entire 4th and OT with a two min breather in the 4th.

Golden St. has Denver on Christmas afternoon, will be a showcase opportunity for TJD.
The young man has shocked me. He’s proving there’s a place for him in the NBA. The GS veterans seem to love the way he plays the game.

If you're a shooter, you love a guy who willingly sets screens, runs and rebounds. TJD's done that extremely well when I've watched.
TJD excels at all three of those things too. Probably too 10% in all three for his position in the NBA.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Forgot to mention in my original post.

TJD had an amazing off ball block against the board, in OT I believe, that was a huge momentum shift.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a clip of that block surface on social media at some point today.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
TJD excels at all three of those things too. Probably too 10% in all three for his position in the NBA.
Yep, he went from being the "Man" at IU to being a role player there and he's been terrific. Lot's of respect for that. I wasn't sure how well his game would translate (and neither were the rest of the NBA, or he'd not have lasted til the end of the 2nd round!) but he's found himself the perfect situation there in GS. He'll increase his value tremendously if they decide he makes DG expendable.

Yep, he went from being the "Man" at IU to being a role player there and he's been terrific. Lot's of respect for that. I wasn't sure how well his game would translate (and neither were the rest of the NBA, or he'd not have lasted til the end of the 2nd round!) but he's found himself the perfect situation there in GS. He'll increase his value tremendously if they decide he makes DG expendable.
We saw glimpses of him being a willing role player. Like the Purdue games. Did all the right things in those games. Didn’t score as much.

TJD's stat line from his previous game was even a bit better, a GS win over Portland.
18 min = 6-9, 14 pts, 8 rb, 3 assisits, 2 steals, 1 blocked shot.

He is going to earn a lot more playing time. I'm not surprised at all. He's better than Looney already, imo.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
He plays defense and rebounds at an NBA caliber level. For that he will have a nice career in the league. I think scouts were concerned about those two things. They knew he wouldn't be a "scorer" but could he defend? Now that it's been answered he seems like a steal.

Ben Simmons didn’t make a 3 pointer his first two seasons. TJD does valuable things for a team without shooting any 3s.
Ben Simmons didn’t make a 3 pointer his first two seasons. TJD does valuable things for a team without shooting any 3s.
hard to believe that on Simmons but if you say so I guess it's true, the 3 comment was on everyone saying he had no future because he can't shoot from 3.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Yep. That was the knock on Simmons when he came into the league. Dude couldn't shoot at all.

The thing about TJD is that he was always going to make it in the NBA if he was willing to be a role player. I'm guessing scouts had the question in their mind about whether he was going to make that transition from star to role player or not, though.

After all, he has a good wingspan and I can't recall any games in college where he was ever overmatched athletically. He was like Oladipo in the that regard. To me, that meant he has pretty elite athleticism.

There's always going to be a place for a long, well-above-average athlete in the NBA if they're willing to do the dirty work. TJD was lucky enough to get drafted late enough to go to the right situation.

Reactions: Willdog7
Yep. That was the knock on Simmons when he came into the league. Dude couldn't shoot at all.

The thing about TJD is that he was always going to make it in the NBA if he was willing to be a role player. I'm guessing scouts had the question in their mind about whether he was going to make that transition from star to role player or not, though.

After all, he has a good wingspan and I can't recall any games in college where he was ever overmatched athletically. He was like Oladipo in the that regard. To me, that meant he has pretty elite athleticism.

There's always going to be a place for a long, well-above-average athlete in the NBA if they're willing to do the dirty work. TJD was lucky enough to get drafted late enough to go to the right situation.
outside of 30 players, everyone is a role player. don't think that was the issue. he's a little undersized for an NBA post player, always thought he was way more athletic than what he was given credit for. fringe players a lot of times need to find the right system to showcase their skills. looks like he landed in a great spot. and don't underestimate intelligence and work ethic, tjd seems to have those intangibles.

Reactions: Willdog7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT