ADVERTISEMENT

TJD Mentor

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Living in Atlanta I follow the Hawks, and in particular I am following the Hawks vs 76’ers. There is one compelling part of Joel Embiid’s game that TJD should observe and take to the bank.

Embiid is a power center, has a wide selection of moves (here recall Kevin McHale) and has a devastatingly effective jump shot. If he is well defended or if his move lanes are cut off, he takes a very confident jumper.

Although TJD doesn’t have the power game that Embiid possesses, he has quick moves to get a shot off and he drives to the basket well. I observed last season that TJD was often left alone when he was 10-15 feet out.

I read that CMW effectively uses video to demonstrate to players and recruits how he plans to develop them. I suggest that CMW should use video of NBA bigs with jump shots, e.g. Embiid, to convey the possibilities of TJD expanding his game and carving out a spot for himself in the NBA. CMW could even dust off some of his own video.

Living in Atlanta I follow the Hawks, and in particular I am following the Hawks vs 76’ers. There is one compelling part of Joel Embiid’s game that TJD should observe and take to the bank.

Embiid is a power center, has a wide selection of moves (here recall Kevin McHale) and has a devastatingly effective jump shot. If he is well defended or if his move lanes are cut off, he takes a very confident jumper.

Although TJD doesn’t have the power game that Embiid possesses, he has quick moves to get a shot off and he drives to the basket well. I observed last season that TJD was often left alone when he was 10-15 feet out.

I read that CMW effectively uses video to demonstrate to players and recruits how he plans to develop them. I suggest that CMW should use video of NBA bigs with jump shots, e.g. Embiid, to convey the possibilities of TJD expanding his game and carving out a spot for himself in the NBA. CMW could even dust off some of his own video.
Gee, I think that’s what CMW has already done to convince TJD to return to IU for another season.

I don't see Embiid as a good comparison for TJD. Great player, but he's huge compared to TJD and extremely mobile for his size with a great shot and touch. I think some guys just aren't shooters, and that's where TJD is now. Look at Cody, he has a good shot and touch, but you can't just flip a switch and get him to shoot more. Even if TJD has it in him it's unlikely you can flip that switch in 1 year, and you sure can't get him to grow 3-4 inches and put on 40 lbs to get to Embiid's size. TJD is a great and skilled player, but I don't think Embiid is how he projects in the NBA. There are other undersized mobile 5s that TJD is closer to in physical size and skillset. PJ Washington comes to mind for me because he's here in Charlotte, but there are others too.

Reactions: brianiu
Embiid is a helluva player but I don't see him holding up after a couple more years. he would ass TJD into about the 3rd row right now if he tried to guard him.

Embiid is a helluva player but I don't see him holding up after a couple more years. he would ass TJD into about the 3rd row right now if he tried to guard him.
Quite likely, as I think he's had recurring injuries throughout his career. Didn't he have a pretty serious knee injury that derailed most of a season and I think maybe even recurred? Just seems he's had several stints of missing games due to injury.

I hope and predict TJD will finish at the rim and get a foul shot a lot more rather than trying and failing at the rim and getting two foul shots, one or both of which he misses. He has a lot of potential and a long way to go from last year.
TJD foul shooting--every game I watched last year--could predict foul shots--those that went in and those that missed--he had two speeds--first, get the ball and shoot --second, slow down--take his time--when he did that, good shot--when he just gets ball and shoots, maybe 50 % go in--surprised coach --CAM--didn't pack up on it--slow down and he will be an 8- to 90 % free shooter !!!

90 % free shooter !!!

8 players in NCAA shot 90% appx 140 shot 80. That's out of 4500 scholarship players.

Or 0.002% of the NCAA shot 90% and .03% were at 80.

So you think if Miller only said "slow" down that TJD could shoot at the top 3% of the NCAA...

*eyeroll*

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMobe and kkott
ADVERTISEMENT