ADVERTISEMENT

TJD has regressed

not possible he’s the best power forward in the country! I read it right here on the hoosier!

It looks like if you put a body on him he falls away from the basket. They only time he took it hard to the basket he was called for charging . Playing soft , but that's easy for me to say I'm not out there getting pounded on .
Wassup with him, he looks like he's gotten worse offensively and defensively. How does he miss so many bunnies!?

Reactions: 76-1
Wassup with him, he looks like he's gotten worse offensively and defensively. How does he miss so many bunnies!?
I consider a bunny an uncontested close in shot. I don't think he had many if any of those. Nonetheless he should be getting more of his shots in the post to drop.

I consider a bunny an uncontested close in shot. I don't think he had many if any of those. Nonetheless he should be getting more of his shots in the post to drop.

He needs to learn how to pump fake in a big way.

Thread didn’t age well. Best sign of the year is that tjd is not a biotch. He played soft on Tuesday like everyone in this thread mentioned. Then completely dominated the game Wednesday, and was pissed off listening to all the haters for 24 hours. Grown ass man out there yesterday!!! He is gone after this year, do not get it twisted.

Thread didn’t age well. Best sign of the year is that tjd is not a biotch. He played soft on Tuesday like everyone in this thread mentioned. Then completely dominated the game Wednesday, and was pissed off listening to all the haters for 24 hours. Grown ass man out there yesterday!!! He is gone after this year, do not get it twisted.
I don't know. How does his skillset transition to the NBA? Not a great desire for 6'9" post players. I think he's probably athletic enough to guard similarly sized guys out on the floor in the NBA, I just don't know if that's enough to make him a 1st rd draft pick. He's still going to have to show more offensive game imo. He may well have it in him, but I don't know how attractive he'll be to the NBA without demonstrating that. Be interesting to watch.

I don't know. How does his skillset transition to the NBA? Not a great desire for 6'9" post players. I think he's probably athletic enough to guard similarly sized guys out on the floor in the NBA, I just don't know if that's enough to make him a 1st rd draft pick. He's still going to have to show more offensive game imo. He may well have it in him, but I don't know how attractive he'll be to the NBA without demonstrating that. Be interesting to watch.
Agree. While a different player, TJD may be like Garza of Iowa. Really good college players with games that don't translate to NBA high level success.

Agree. While a different player, TJD may be like Garza of Iowa. Really good college players with games that don't translate to NBA high level success.
Disagree on Garza. He'll likely be a defensive liability, but he's shown more ability to go out on the floor and knock down shots, and he's rugged around the rim too. His ceiling may not be as high as TJD long-term in the NBA if TJD also shows he can play away from the basket, but he's gonna score points and rebound the ball and probably has the size to "occupy" most NBA 5s.

We're going to need a bunch of what we got from him yesterday..In conference..
He and the team both play better ..Up tempo ~

I love TJD but where exactly is he going after this year? At 6'9" he is only as tall as several point guards in the NBA and his range is only about 0-2' from the basket. He won't be an exceptional defender or rebounder against NBA bigs and he'll likely struggle finishing at the basket night in and night out against 7 footers. He's a great college player but I don't see it translating yet to the NBA level.

Reactions: Bill4411
IU has to learn how to impose their will on their opponents instead of allowing them to dictate things. I know they got killed by Texas, but I was not overly impressed with Texas even though they won the tournament.

I love TJD but where exactly is he going after this year? At 6'9" he is only as tall as several point guards in the NBA and his range is only about 0-2' from the basket. He won't be an exceptional defender or rebounder against NBA bigs and he'll likely struggle finishing at the basket night in and night out against 7 footers. He's a great college player but I don't see it translating yet to the NBA level.

Would you like to place a wager on that he will go pro next year?

He reminds me of KG when he pulls up for that 18 footer. Has great form and one day will be 75-80% taking that shot in the pros, his range is happening right before our eyes. Never took those shots last year. He has hit a few this year and all of them have looked good, not bad misses like we see from everyone else when they take threes.

Reactions: aajohn2000
He reminds me of KG when he pulls up for that 18 footer. Has great form and one day will be 75-80% taking that shot in the pros, his range is happening right before our eyes. Never took those shots last year. He has hit a few this year and all of them have looked good, not bad misses like we see from everyone else when they take threes.
I agree, but I thought the same about Cody, and I'm still waiting for him to take those shots out on the floor.

If you haven't noticed the NBA bigs are smaller these days. It is as much about agility as it is size and spacing. Obviously you cannot match him up with Anthony Davis or Rudy Gobert but there are roles for players who can guard and switch aka Looney, Covington, Grant. The Pistons just gave Jerami Grant 60 mil for 3 years. Looney on the Warriors is an outstanding defender and they play him at center.

TJD has NBA athleticism. I think TJD has shown great court awareness. He has surprised me with some of his passing ability finding open players a few times. IMO, he has a solid all round skill set to develop into a good NBA rotation player. He still needs to improve his strength and outside shooting and if an NBA teams feels they can develop him in G-League they will draft and pay him. The Mavs drafted Tyrell Terry in the 2nd round and used part of the MLE to pay him 1.5 mil per year for a 4 year deal. So being a 1st rounder is not the cutoff it used to be. Terry will barely sniff the court for the Mavs this year except in practice and garbage time. He'll be in the G-League.

Well, I 100% did not think that about Cody lol.
Cody, was reported to, and I thought did have, a nice looking stroke. I remember one year he won or made the finals of the 3 pt contest at HH. And I seem to recall he took and made 3s pretty regularly in HS, no?

Far different to shoot in games though with college defenders. I remember everyone being gaga over getting Joe Hillman and his 44ppg from high school in CA. He never bacame a reliable shooter, mainly because he just didn't take a lot of shots period. I can tell you from first hand experience though, he could make 3s out to about 22' quite well in the HPER! I never had to guard someone that far from the basket.

Last edited:
Cody, was reported to, and I thought did have, a nice looking stroke. I remember one year he won or made the finals of the 3 pt contest at HH. And I seem to recall he took and made 3s pretty regularly in HS, no?

Far different to shoot in games though with college defenders. I remember everyone being gaga over getting Joe Hillman and his 44ppg from high school in CA. He never bacame a reliable shooter, mainly because he just didn't take a lot of shots period. I can tell you from first hand experience though, he could make 3s quite well in the HPER!

There's a big, big difference. I was a decent shooter and once beat Rose Hulman's (not even D1 team) star player in one on one, but damn it near killed me and the only reason I won is because he was letting me shoot 3's from NBA range and didn't think I could hit them. Big difference between HS and D1 defense, or even D2 defense.

KG? Keith Gomez? Ken Grimes? Never heard of them. Wait, not Kevin Garnett? He reminds you of one of the most mobile, athletic, quick and versatile 7'ers ever in the NBA? Hey, if I get back to IN for the holidays, will you set aside some of your stash for me? Gotta get me some of that!

If you haven't noticed the NBA bigs are smaller these days. It is as much about agility as it is size and spacing. Obviously you cannot match him up with Anthony Davis or Rudy Gobert but there are roles for players who can guard and switch aka Looney, Covington, Grant. The Pistons just gave Jerami Grant 60 mil for 3 years. Looney on the Warriors is an outstanding defender and they play him at center.

TJD has NBA athleticism. I think TJD has shown great court awareness. He has surprised me with some of his passing ability finding open players a few times. IMO, he has a solid all round skill set to develop into a good NBA rotation player. He still needs to improve his strength and outside shooting and if an NBA teams feels they can develop him in G-League they will draft and pay him. The Mavs drafted Tyrell Terry in the 2nd round and used part of the MLE to pay him 1.5 mil per year for a 4 year deal. So being a 1st rounder is not the cutoff it used to be. Terry will barely sniff the court for the Mavs this year except in practice and garbage time. He'll be in the G-League.
I don't know about NBA athleticism. He's athletic, but I don't know about NBA explosiveness in a position where it's more the norm if you are undersized. I know the Hornets are talking about playing PJ Washington in the post, so I guess it's possible, but I think they're going to be awful again, maybe intentionally so. I just still think he's going to need to push his range and comfort level out on the floor more to have much NBA appeal. I definitely could be wrong, I often have been about NBA potential.

Last edited:
KG? Keith Gomez? Ken Grimes? Never heard of them. Wait, not Kevin Garnett? He reminds you of one of the most mobile, athletic, quick and versatile 7'ers ever in the NBA? Hey, if I get back to IN for the holidays, will you set aside some of your stash for me? Gotta get me some of that!

The way he steps into the 18 footer is very similar!! The shot looks the same. That is all that I am comparing in the 2. I wish I had a bigger stash. If you only knew!!!!

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with the other teams scouting and working to take away the best option or having quality bigs of their own? Couldn't possibly have anything to do with a shortened preseason, less practices, only one "tune up" match, or it being impossible to simulate full game speed against starting lineups in team scrimmages?

Better question: When did the IU fanbase lose most of its basketball IQ?

Reactions: Al Bino
Agreed. As a HS defense, wouldn't you rather have the 7 footer shooting 3's than dominating you on the inside. The best shooters are ~40% from 3. Plus, he has less of a chance of getting an offensive rebound. Even in D1, Cody would have been left relatively open (obviously not as much as HS), until he pr

There's a big, big difference. I was a decent shooter and once beat Rose Hulman's (not even D1 team) star player in one on one, but damn it near killed me and the only reason I won is because he was letting me shoot 3's from NBA range and didn't think I could hit them. Big difference between HS and D1 defense, or even D2 defense.

Far different to shoot in games though with college defenders. I remember everyone being gaga over getting Joe Hillman and his 44ppg from high school in CA. He never bacame a reliable shooter, mainly because he just didn't take a lot of shots period. I can tell you from first hand experience though, he could make 3s out to about 22' quite well in the HPER! I never had to guard someone that far from the basket.
Hillman absolutely became a reliable shooter by his senior year.

In 88-89, he averaged nearly 13 points a game, shot 53% overall from the floor and 58% from 3-point range.

And I think a soph Cody would have cleaned TJD's clock in HORSE.
Not if all tjd did was shoot that 18 footer. I’m telling you, I bet he is money in practice he’s draining it. will translate quick. Already hit about 40% of them I’d say.

Regarding the 18 footers, I agree and noticed it right away with his first attempt. He not only made the shot, but as you point out, he looked really good from a form and comfort level perspective. It looked natural.

Not if all tjd did was shoot that 18 footer. I’m telling you, I bet he is money in practice he’s draining it. will translate quick. Already hit about 40% of them I’d say.
Would be great to know the true number of shot attempts, but i only recall him taking two shots over the course of the three games from 15 or so feet and I believe he made both of them.

Would be great to know the true number of shot attempts, but i only recall him taking two shots over the course of the three games from 15 or so feet and I believe he made both of them.
I remember hitting 2 and missing 2. So I am sure there is another one in there, 40%. Don't trust a word of that data by the way.

Reactions: aajohn2000
I don't know about NBA athleticism. He's athletic, but I don't know about NBA explosiveness in a position where it's more the norm if you are undersized. I know the Hornets are talking about playing PJ Washington in the post, so I guess it's possible, but I think they're going to be awful again, maybe intentionally so. I just still think he's going to need to push his range and comfort level out on the floor more to have much NBA appeal. I definitely could be wrong, I often have been about NBA potential.
Yes. He will have to be able to extend his range out to the arc on both sides of the ball. Didn't mean to make it sound like he had Blake Griffin type elite athleticism when he entered the league but I think TJD has plenty enough that it won't be won't be a liability for him. I hope he stays at IU but the G-League is probably just as good a place to develop now if your on a 2 way contract or an NBA contract.

ADVERTISEMENT