ADVERTISEMENT

Tjd at center?

I believe Race has a better outside shot than TJD and JB may as well. TJD is almost unstoppable inside without fouling him. Unless TJD has increased is range, that would be playing to your strengths to move him to the five.

I just saw an article from Dec. Guy said tjd should be a 5.
So What are Race and Brunk?
He needs to develop post moves.to be a go to center on offense, especially right hand and develop perimeter skills to be a four. He was also better at post defense than perimeter but guards both fairly well. We'll just have to wait and see what he develops into. TJD is very gifted but needs more skill development to reach full potential.

Reactions: largemouth
I just saw an article from Dec. Guy said tjd should be a 5.
So What are Race and Brunk?

AM doesn't have a natural 5 so we will see TJD play there depending on the matchups. Whenever possible Brunk should be the go to 5 allowing TJD to play in-position. Matchups, health, and performance quality will dictate a lot. Race can fill in as well, but any of the three would be playing out of position and I am sure TJD wants to be showcased as a 4 as much as possible.

I'm hoping to play more athletic across the frontline. I don't feel as undersized with Race and TJD as when Morgan was our best big in the paint. I'm looking forward to mostly Race, TJD, and Hunter across the frontline and why IMO, it hurts to lose Smith a lot. Impacts the depth.

Hoping Geronimo/Leal and Al fill some of the void from the 3 spot when Huinter has to play the 4. While I don't think Hunter will be as good defensively as Smith, I could certainly see him being a lot better player overall.

Race & TJD will be the 4/5's - neither is a 5. Brunk will hopefully only get about 10-15 minutes a game, unless he has taken a major leap forward in his ability. We will play a lot of small ball out of necessity - 4 guards/wings on the floor.

Race & TJD will be the 4/5's - neither is a 5. Brunk will hopefully only get about 10-15 minutes a game, unless he has taken a major leap forward in his ability. We will play a lot of small ball out of necessity - 4 guards/wings on the floor.
I bet hunter gets time at the 4. His shooting ability will help draw bigs out.

I bet hunter gets time at the 4. His shooting ability will help draw bigs out.
Unfortunately he probably will have to play some at the 4! We are extremely small and really need an additional big to give TJD & Race some rest. I am not sold on playing TJD & Race 30-35 min a game and I don't think Brunk should play more than 10-15 min a game (too slow, poor shooter outside of 3' and a terrible FT shooter).

Is it too late to find a grad transfer big? I hope not.

Race and TJD compliment each other really well and it's why some of our best basketball down the stretch was with those two in the front court.

My guess is Brunk will start because he's probably going to be a captain and he will hopefully keep TJD out of early foul trouble...but when it's money time you'll see TJD and Race on the floor.

The other three will probably depend on Hunter and Lander. Ideally Hunter can be a big 3 and push Durham to compete at the two.

If he doesn't then I'd guess we'll play a lot of three guard with Durham at the 3 (with Lander and Rob, and Race and TJD down the stretch).

I'd guess you'd have thins kind of overall depth chart.

C - TJD, Brunk, Race
PF - Race, TJD, Hunter
Wing - Hunter, Durham, Geronimo (I think he's going to surprise right off the bat), Leal, Galloway
SG - Durham, Lander, Aarman
PG - Rob, Lander, Aarman

I believe our best situation will be a core of TJD, Race, Hunter, Durham and Rob with Lander getting big minutes also equal to Rob.

Last edited:
Reactions: .Gerdis and T.M.P.
I always thought our best lineup last year was Smith at the 4 and TJD at the 5. Smith was just not a good enough shooter to play the 3, but he was strong and athletic enough to play the 4 against most opponents. I liked what Justin brought with his defense and rebounding, but his inability to shoot the ball was the main reason we were last in the Big Ten last season in threes.

If you take away the combined >25% from 3 that Smith and Anderson gave us and replace it with the <40% that Hunter and Franklin shot over the last two months of the season then IU goes from an average shooting team to one of the best in the conference even with the loss of Green.

Now that Smith is gone, hopefully Hunter can play a little bit of the 4 and Race can continue improving his shot and we will have a lineup that's actually able to spread the defense out and leave TJD with more one-on-ones and kick out opportunities.

I think Brunk will play at least 15 mpg unless the other team is too quick at the 5. He had some really big moments for IU last year and that experience will pay off.

Speaking of size it is possible to see Race, TJD, and Hunter all on the floor at the same time and then IU is bigger and very quick defensively inside. The problem is they need one more player in that rotation that can alter shots and move quickly.

Since IU doesn't have another big wing/forward who can shoot, I agree that you will probably see some smaller quicker lineups this year which should excite most fans as that should pick up the ability to score more consistently than the past few years.

I always thought our best lineup last year was Smith at the 4 and TJD at the 5. Smith was just not a good enough shooter to play the 3, but he was strong and athletic enough to play the 4 against most opponents. I liked what Justin brought with his defense and rebounding, but his inability to shoot the ball was the main reason we were last in the Big Ten last season in threes.

If you take away the combined >25% from 3 that Smith and Anderson gave us and replace it with the <40% that Hunter and Franklin shot over the last two months of the season then IU goes from an average shooting team to one of the best in the conference even with the loss of Green.

Now that Smith is gone, hopefully Hunter can play a little bit of the 4 and Race can continue improving his shot and we will have a lineup that's actually able to spread the defense out and leave TJD with more one-on-ones and kick out opportunities.
More than likely you will see smaller lineups as IU will be limited to play two posts at a time due to Smith's departure. Only 4 forwards on the team this year with Brunk and TJD, Race & Jerome (Jerome's a stretch but he looks to have bulked up and can help guard inside depending on the match ups. That means three guards most of the time unless you play Hunter at the 3, but that makes IU thin when a big gets in foul trouble.

He needs to develop post moves.to be a go to center on offense, especially right hand and develop perimeter skills to be a four. He was also better at post defense than perimeter but guards both fairly well. We'll just have to wait and see what he develops into. TJD is very gifted but needs more skill development to reach full potential.

I think it is fair to say this is gonna be TJDs last year at IU. He has told friends his plan has always been 2 years (Lander was quoted saying this, and the reason he wants to play now)

will be interesting to see what changes in this offseason. I would say he has a shot, and a pretty good one. 35%+ from deep. Guessing you will see a major improvement in going to the right. I would be shocked if he wasn’t 1st team all big 10. Lander will only help TJD, he is a legit passing talent and will make everyone around him better. Hope we have basketball to see it.

TJD is a center at least in college. As someone above just said, Lander has amazing passing and TJD has great hands so this year should be fun.

More than likely you will see smaller lineups as IU will be limited to play two posts at a time due to Smith's departure. Only 4 forwards on the team this year with Brunk and TJD, Race & Jerome (Jerome's a stretch but he looks to have bulked up and can help guard inside depending on the match ups. That means three guards most of the time unless you play Hunter at the 3, but that makes IU thin when a big gets in foul trouble.

Don't forget about Jordan Geronimo. I hate to see Smith go, but Geronimo is going to benefit from the loss and he could definitely become better than Smith very quickly. His versatility will let him play shooting guard or both forward positions, but he will probably play mostly small forward until he can shoot enough to be a guard or bulks up enough to play in the post.

Leal and Galloway both have the skill sets to play small forward as well, but they'll both have to bulk up to make up for their lack of height.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT