ADVERTISEMENT

Timetable for the DC hire?

Often these interviews happen at a national coaching convention, which I presume usually happens after the national championship game. Given CV, assuming it would be a virtual conference this year. My guess is agents or head hunters and longtime friends are reaching out to Coach Allen, and he's doing the wise thing of evaluating, thinking about what he's looking for, tweaks he'd like to see, and he'll start making his move in the next few weeks. I'm excited, think it's a chance to bring in an energetic, rising coach who could be an excellent recruiter too.

Been awful quiet this week,I assume an announcement will be made soon?
Anyone have any info/rumors?

Good question. I haven't heard anything at all.

I have to admit, if there's one staff position in the whole program that I don't worry about Coach making a good hire, it's this one. He could go anywhere from doing it himself again (I hope he doesn't) to hiring externally, to promoting internally and I would trust CTA's judgment. He just knows that side of the ball so well and knows the challenges this person will face at IU.

I know you weren't asking about this, and I'm slightly off topic on your question, but I just wanted to say I have full faith and confidence he will make a good decision.

Good question. I haven't heard anything at all.

I have to admit, if there's one staff position in the whole program that I don't worry about Coach making a good hire, it's this one. He could go anywhere from doing it himself again (I hope he doesn't) to hiring externally, to promoting internally and I would trust CTA's judgment. He just knows that side of the ball so well and knows the challenges this person will face at IU.

I know you weren't asking about this, and I'm slightly off topic on your question, but I just wanted to say I have full faith and confidence he will make a good decision.

I totally agree with your post and confidence in CTA.

I would like to ask why you don't think CTA should be the DC? I have seen that posted before and I fuzzy as to why.

Even with all the assistant coaches, are the demands on the head coach's time so extensive that he could not also be the DC?

Would one suffer at the expense of the other?

Reactions: vesuvius13

I would like to ask why you don't think CTA should be the DC? I have seen that posted before and I fuzzy as to why.

Even with all the assistant coaches, are the demands on the head coach's time so extensive that he could not also be the DC?

Good question. Maybe he could do it now but he stated when CKW became the DC that he was stretched too thin being DC and HC.

Reactions: red hornet

Just personal preference. Any time he would spend planning defense, I would prefer he spend that time recruiting. I think he would do a great job...clearly, he already did a great job.

Often these interviews happen at a national coaching convention, which I presume usually happens after the national championship game. Given CV, assuming it would be a virtual conference this year. My guess is agents or head hunters and longtime friends are reaching out to Coach Allen, and he's doing the wise thing of evaluating, thinking about what he's looking for, tweaks he'd like to see, and he'll start making his move in the next few weeks. I'm excited, think it's a chance to bring in an energetic, rising coach who could be an excellent recruiter too.

There are NO national conventions anywhere except for what might be done on Zoom.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Now we have RB coach to fill too. The college season is over and NFL is deeper into to playoffs. I bet there may still be some kind of zoom coaches convention.

Even if not, Tom Allen just won National Coach of year, two great seasons in a row and two years in a row of having a coordinator leave for a HC position (starting a Tom Allen coaching tree!). He will have some great candidates interested and I’m excited about who we will end up with in these spots. (Anyone think we will see or have any other staff changes?)

My thought on staffing:

I’m a big, big believer that every staff should have one “senior” coach in a key position on the staff. I also like having former head coaches on staff. If you’re Saban, you keep a rotating door of coordinators who were former head coaches. Few schools have that luxury.

I guess I’m old school in that I really like seeing long-term coaching relationships.
Ferentz and Norm Parker.. Fitzgerald and Hankowitz. Beamer and Bud Foster.

There is something about having an older, long-time steadying presence in the staff.
Programs trying to build a consistent brand need to have some consistency in the staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT