ADVERTISEMENT

Time to get Chris Beard

That's like saying, "Look at Knight's record at IU, but don't consider 1973, 1975, 1976, 1981, 1987 or 1993. Other than those years, his results at IU were just ok."

For all of his success, IMO Knight's most amazing coaching job was during the 88-89 season. But on paper, that was "just" a BIG title and a Sweet 16 birth.

You can't just arbitrarily take successful years away from a coach's resume and then judge the results. Some "successful" coaches (like....say, Matt Painter) have never gone to an Elite 8 or Championship game, yet Beard has done exactly that in back-to-back seasons.

Beard wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but even w/o his link to RMK, he's proven himself to be a pretty damned successful coach. IU could do far worse.
No it’s not. Knights other years are still way better. He wasn’t .500 in conference. His style is very much Archie. He doesn’t sound like anything Dolson quoted. If he brings the season he had this year to Bloomington you all would want his head on a platter. 6 game losing streak and all. Especially since he would be getting 5 mill plus.

No it’s not. Knights other years are still way better. He wasn’t .500 in conference. His style is very much Archie. He doesn’t sound like anything Dolson quoted. If he brings the season he had this year to Bloomington you all would want his head on a platter. 6 game losing streak and all. Especially since he would be getting 5 mill plus.
You really aren’t very smart are you?

Oh didn’t know I was your boy I’m so flattered.

Beard is not my top choice, but he is on the list. Biggest negatives are: all his basketball experience is in the south. Big Ten basketball is a different beast. Secondly, I don't know that he has any interest in moving to Indiana with his family.
Just to add a bit to your discussion: When Coach Beard was a very hot commodity two years ago, I seem to recall it mentioned that he was divorced, but still very involved with his children. Things may have changed, but the rationale then was that he wasn't going to be leaving Texas as long as his kids were still living at home. Conventional wisdom then said that the only move he was likely to make in the near future would be to the University of Texas if Coach Smart faltered.

I was mostly full court press always and if they couldn't turn you over and it goes to half court then man, similar to Pitino's best UK teams. I just don't want a coach that cannot adapt to the game or the situation in-game and mix things up if necessary. Same with offense, I'd like a team that could run or bang depending on the opponent, like an MSU or ILL
I think every coach would like the talent assembled on those mid-90's Kentucky teams.

Walker
Anderson
Delk
Mercer
Shoot the MVP of the '98 tournament, Shepard, redshirted in '96 because, he was never gonna see the floor.
Good grief.......
Have some perspective.......

Huh? He has to recruit against. Texas, Kansas, Baylor, for starters. He takes 3-4 new players every year plugs them in and they finish in the top 20, give him some 5 star Indiana High School Talent. Give Beard TJD, Lander, Kaufman, Leal, Brunk, Hunter, Franklin and one other stud and he wins the big ten.
Umm, we recruit against them too

Huh? He has to recruit against. Texas, Kansas, Baylor, for starters. He takes 3-4 new players every year plugs them in and they finish in the top 20, give him some 5 star Indiana High School Talent. Give Beard TJD, Lander, Kaufman, Leal, Brunk, Hunter, Franklin and one other stud and he wins the big ten.
Joke, he'd run nearly the same crap AM did, get similar shooting and effort and BTW Kaufman is going to PU. What are you smoking?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Is reliance on scrappy really what what we want for like $8M?
Is reliance on having better athletes than each of your opponents a sustainable strategy? Eventually a coach has to figure out how to minimize your weakness and expose your opponents. The cerebral side of sports is what makes competition fun from my perspective. Lots of coaches can "out athlete you". Few can win with coaching. I think Stevens and Beard have shown that they can win even with the less impressive team athletically or on paper. Rewatch the 87 team and you'll see that they didn't have the athletes to win several of those games but the game strategy and out thinking the opponents was what made Knights teams fun to root for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT